Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Current Regime

carmelcolt

I have been a colts fan forever and have lived through pretty crappy coaches and GM's. I can say without a doubt the Ballard/Reich regime has the Colts pointing in the right direction. Compared to the last(which i blame for the beginning of the end of AL). Ballard is a finder of talent that no one else sees and Reich and staff can coach these guys up to be successful not just fitting a square peg in round hole. Case in point 2013 draft, Bjorn Werner taken by RG at 24, behind him were the likes of DeAndre Hopkins, Leveone Bell, Travis Kelce, Zack Ertz, Travis Fredick, Cordelle Patterson and Xavier Rhodes(which is funny we have him now). I know there is no crystal ball but all I have mentioned did pretty well in college except for Werner.

My point is the roster is stacked with young contributors and that D is now a Monster. Can't wait to see when they turn their attention to the O side. 

2 minutes ago, carmelcolt said:

I have been a colts fan forever and have lived through pretty crappy coaches and GM's. I can say without a doubt the Ballard/Reich regime has the Colts pointing in the right direction. Compared to the last(which i blame for the beginning of the end of AL). Ballard is a finder of talent that no one else sees and Reich and staff can coach these guys up to be successful not just fitting a square peg in round hole. Case in point 2013 draft, Bjorn Werner taken by RG at 24, behind him were the likes of DeAndre Hopkins, Leveone Bell, Travis Kelce, Zack Ertz, Travis Fredick, Cordelle Patterson and Xavier Rhodes(which is funny we have him now). I know there is no crystal ball but all I have mentioned did pretty well in college except for Werner.

My point is the roster is stacked with young contributors and that D is now a Monster. Can't wait to see when they turn their attention to the O side. 

I agree that Ballard has been great.   This team is good and even has depth at most positions.

Now is the biggest challenge GM's face.   Finding a franchise QB.  Bringing in Rivers was a good gap move.  I won't fault Ballard too much for the QB spot going forward because when you are drafting in the mid 20's, it's not great odds of getting a top notch QB.  Even trading up doesn't guarantee success and requires a team to give up lots of draft capital.   QB's available in the teens and mid 20's in the 2021 draft may be comparable to Eason.  Not sure the direction Ballard should and will go, but it is a tough opportunity.  

What has been most impressive to me is the depth of this roster. While there was definitely some drop off when Braden Smith missed this week, this team has seen key injuries all over the roster, only to see the next man up step in and perform well.

The last three years (2018-2020), have been fantastic from a draft perspective from Ballard. The 2017 class was still average even with scouts Ballard didn't hire as his own. Definitely the best drafting GM in the league today. Every year he adds multiple starters to the team (not just players, starters). We are definitely a contender this year, and when we get our franchise QB, we will be battling the Chiefs and Ravens for the next 10 years to make the SB every year. We are so close! :) 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The last three years (2018-2020), have been fantastic from a draft perspective from Ballard. The 2017 class was still average even with scouts Ballard didn't hire as his own. Definitely the best drafting GM in the league today. Every year he adds multiple starters to the team (not just players, starters). We are definitely a contender this year, and when we get our franchise QB, we will be battling the Chiefs and Ravens for the next 10 years to make the SB every year. We are so close! :) 

Ballard found the gem that was Patrick Mahomes. He’ll do the same here

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard found Patrick Mahomes?   I’ve never read that.   Love to see that link if you can find it.    Thanks. 

55 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard was already with the Colts when Mahomes was drafted. 

Ballard may have had something to do with drafting Kelce, Hill and Peters but not Mahomes. 

I guess I didn’t realize that Ballard was hired during the 2016/2017 postseason. He still might’ve given the input though. He built a great team with Chiefs as well

Archived