Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts host a couple of FAs

CR91

Not unexpected in light of Tell and Milligan opting out with Tavon.......he could fill Geathers role, but maybe with better ball skills.

Stallworth is your typical NT type run stopping tackle. It seems we have a lot of undersized tackles behind Buckner. Autry and Lewis whom I hope they move back to end. Windsor and Day are both a little light in the britches too at 290 lbs, but they did sign two bigger bodies in the UDFA after the draft - though they will likely be practice squad bound.....

Wouldn't be surprised to see Stallworth end up behind Grover to help with the run.

It has to be odd signing FAs now, since teams aren't allowed to work them out.  I guess one would hope that these guys have been keeping themselves in shape throughout the offseason, but it'd still be nice to be able to work them out before signing them.

Safety now is, IMO, the team's biggest concern.  I think we're fine w/ Hooker and Willis as starters, though Hooker's had injury issues throughout his time in the NFL (and prior).  I like Odum, but like him more as a STer than a guy we have to rely on being a starter for an extended time if one of our top 2 go down.  Then Blackmon is still on the injured list, and I don't expect him to be full strength to the middle of the season (if not later).  The UDFA, Rutledge, was a playmaker but from a small school and went undrafted for a reason, so I'm not too sure that we should expect anything out of him in terms of being reliable if he had to play a lot of minutes.

Geathers is still a FA and I know Ballard really seemed to like him.  I'm wondering if him not being signed or brought up in discussion is a health issue (i.e., can't pass a physical), a major health concern (given his injury history), demanding too much $, or if the team has simply moved on from him. 

Personally, I like the fact we're looking at Tavon Wilson, he's a former 2nd round draft pick who had his best NFL year last season, starting 13 games in Detroit and recording 98 tackles, 2 fumble recovers and 5 passes defended.  

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Sounds like an underrated signing. This DL just got deeper! Would love seeing this defensive front as an attacking force making life miserable for opposing QBs. 

Should be interesting... he suited up in 14 games as an UDFA rookie in 2018 and last year he only saw action in 4 games with a lot of time on the practice squad.  That said, the Saints had a very solid defense last year.

I guess what interests me the most about this signing is that I thought our DL was one of the deepest and most versatile groups on the entire team (if not the deepest and most versatile).  I'm wondering if this means the coaches aren't seeing progress from Tyquan Lewis or not getting what they have expected out of another player(s) or if there is just something about Stallworth which they really like...  maybe his size (305 lbs makes him the 2nd heaviest guy on the DL after Grover Stewart and the only other 300+ lb'er is UDFA Chris Williams at 302).  

Hopefully he works out.. now, hopefully we bring in some solid depth to the S group and OL.  

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Should be interesting... he suited up in 14 games as an UDFA rookie in 2018 and last year he only saw action in 4 games with a lot of time on the practice squad.  That said, the Saints had a very solid defense last year.

What's also very interesting is that NO picked up 31-year old Margus Hunt. So, in effect, we swapped Hunt for Stallworth. Nothing against Hunt, but I'd say we got the better end of that 'trade' by far.

23 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

What's also very interesting is that NO picked up 31-year old Margus Hunt. So, in effect, we swapped Hunt for Stallworth. Nothing against Hunt, but I'd say we got the better end of that 'trade' by far.

After playing very little role in 2017, Hunt was solid for us in 2018, solid enough to be given a contract extension ... for whatever reason his play really diminished last year.

He's also 6'8" 295 and plays a totally different style of football than Stallworth at 6'2" 305... I'm not really anticipating much from Stallworth given his previous NFL production, so I don't know if we got the better end of the deal 'by far' and I won't be shocked if Hunt plays well for NO.... we do have a younger guy who has potential, though.  Hopefully he works out.

Maybe they dont plan to play Autry both inside and out and just out because maybe Turay behind schedule more then we hoped. If so Buckner and Stewart backed up by Day and who every impresses more between Windsor and Stallworth with other onto p.s  Than Outside Houston/ Bangou /Autry/Muhammad with Lewis in case someone slips up next few weeks. Hope I'm wrong on Turay, time will tell

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2020 at 3:39 PM, CurBeatElite said:

After playing very little role in 2017, Hunt was solid for us in 2018, solid enough to be given a contract extension ... for whatever reason his play really diminished last year.

He's also 6'8" 295 and plays a totally different style of football than Stallworth at 6'2" 305... I'm not really anticipating much from Stallworth given his previous NFL production, so I don't know if we got the better end of the deal 'by far' and I won't be shocked if Hunt plays well for NO.... we do have a younger guy who has potential, though.  Hopefully he works out.

Hunt was elevated from the Saints' PS to their active roster today.

Stallworth has played 19 snaps over 2 games and has 2 solo tackles so far.

29 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Hunt was elevated from the Saints' PS to their active roster today.

Stallworth has played 19 snaps over 2 games and has 2 solo tackles so far.

Hunt has played in both of the Saints games so far. 59 total snaps on D, and 10 STs. I watched the Saints/TB game. Didn't look all that great. 2 solo Ts for him too. So far, Stallworth is the best bang for the buck (Ts per snap) I guess. 

16 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Hunt has played in both of the Saints games so far. 59 total snaps on D, and 10 STs. I watched the Saints/TB game. Didn't look all that great. 2 solo Ts for him too. So far, Stallworth is the best bang for the buck (Ts per snap) I guess. 

I hadn't realized Hunt has been playing every week, thanks for the heads up. He started the year on the PS. Sounds like he's been elevated for a third week to the active roster, which means he'll have to go to waivers if they don't keep him on the active roster this time. 

5 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

I hadn't realized Hunt has been playing every week, thanks for the heads up. He started the year on the PS. Sounds like he's been elevated for a third week to the active roster, which means he'll have to go to waivers if they don't keep him on the active roster this time. 

Yea, IDK how many times he's been elevated, but 2s the limit for the easy way. Seems weird they would elevate and demote so many times in the first thee games.

Archived