Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts #12 in latest power rankings

EastStreet

Ranking and schedule Qs  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you realistically rank the Colts?

2. 2. What is the game that we are most likely to lose?

• Home vs #2Ravens
    • @ #7 Steelers
    • Home vs #10 Vikings
    • Home vs #11 Packers
    • @ #15 Titans
    • @ #16 Browns
    • @ #22 Lions
    • @ #23 Texans
    • @ #24 Bears
    • @ #25 Raiders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/06/2020 at 12:50 AM

I think this is about right. As an Indy homer, I could go as high as 7th, but 12th doesn't bother me at this point.

And speaking of schedule, I like our chances with how the schedule pans out. We only play one top 10 team on the road (Steelers #7), and I honestly think they are ranked too high. Half of our schedule, and half of our away games, are against teams in the bottom 10. I like our chances vs anyone at home. And I'm not afraid of anyone this year.

#12 Colts

2019 record: 7-9 (-12 Point differential)
Offensive DVOA: 19th (Pass: 24 / Run: 7)
Defensive DVOA: 17th (Pass: 19 / Run: 19)

Added: DT DeForest Buckner, QB Philip Rivers, CB Xavier Rhodes
Lost: EDGE Jabaal Sheard, TE Eric Ebron, WR Devin Funchess

Key Draft Picks: WR Michael Pittman Jr., USC (34th); RB Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin (41st); S Julian Blackmon, Utah (85th)

Regression Alert: 2-4 in coin flip games

The Colts will eventually have to find a young quarterback to build around, but landing Philip Rivers should push this team back into the playoffs after Andrew Luck’s sudden retirement submarined what was supposed to be a promising 2019 campaign. DeForest Buckner could be the missing piece for what has been a solid defense for the past two years. If Michael Pittman is as good as I think he’ll be, this offense might be a top-10 unit. If it is, Indy is winning the AFC South.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/2020-nfl-power-rankings-patriots-cam-newton

The rankings

1. Chiefs

2. Ravens

3. Saints

4. 49ers

5. Patriots

6. Bucs

7. @ Steelers

8.Cowboys

9. Bills

10. Vikings

11. Packers

12. Colts

13. Seahawks

14. Eagles

15. *Titans

16. @Browns

17. Falcons

18. Cards

19. Chargers

20. Broncos

21. Rams

22. @Lions

23. *Texans

24. @Bears

25. @Raiders

26. Bengals

27. Jets

28. Dolphins

29. Giants

30. Panthers

31. Redskins

32. *Jags

I think we're going to have a top 10 offense, top 7 defense, top 10 special teams, and top 10 coaching staff, so I'm putting us at around top 5 overall.

I've seen way too many (both understandable and inexplicable) Colts collapses against the Steelers to bet against them anytime soon. Maybe PR can get us over the Steelers hump. I hope so. Not ready to bet on it yet. 

7 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

I think we're going to have a top 10 offense, top 7 defense, top 10 special teams, and top 10 coaching staff, so I'm putting us at around top 5 overall.

I've seen way too many (both understandable and inexplicable) Colts collapses against the Steelers to bet against them anytime soon. Maybe PR can get us over the Steelers hump. I hope so. Not ready to bet on it yet. 

Rivers has won his last two games at Pitt!

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Rivers has won his last two games at Pitt!

We should sweep the Jags finally because they will tank for Lawrence. We should split with the Titans and Texans which gives us a 4-2 record in the division. If we just go 6-4 outside of the division that should give us the Division crown and a 10-6 record + maybe tiebreakers more than likely.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We should sweep the Jags finally because they will tank for Lawrence. We should split with the Titans and Texans which gives us a 4-2 record in the division. If we just go 6-4 outside of the division that should give us the Division crown and a 10-6 record + maybe tiebreakers more than likely.

I think we sweep both Jags and Texans. Splitting with TN. 

We've gotten better, and IMO, Houston has gotten worse. 

I also think we could legit sweep the NFC North. Lions on the road scares me the most. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted 10th, I think we will be barely better than teams like the Patriots and Bills. Patriots at #5 is way too high. They could win their division now with Cam but #5?? 

I agree #5 is too high, but I think they are top 10 now with Cam. If Cam listens to BB, nothing would surprise me though. I'd bet that BB gets the best out of him, and the short/quick passing game makes him look better than what he is. If he's fully healthy, and can stay healthy, I wouldn't bet against him + BB.

I think the Bills are too high too.

Just now, CR91 said:

Anyone else think the Bucs are getting overhyped? I mean come on 6th

Regarding the Bucs, I think they are top 10 at worse. Until Brady just looks bad you can't underestimate him.

I think the Seahawks are too low, they have Russ. I pick them to win the NFC West, 49ers will have that SB hangover IMO. 49ers still should be a Wildcard though.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Anyone else think the Bucs are getting overhyped? I mean come on 6th

They've got a pretty good team surrounding Brady. He definitely has more weapons. I've never been big on Arian's O though. This might turn into more Brady's O, than Arian's. 

to me patriots are too high and titans and texans are too low.  they were both good last year

im fine with the bucs in the top 10, they have a pretty loaded offense and the defense was already good last year 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

They've got a pretty good team surrounding Brady. He definitely has more weapons. I've never been big on Arian's O though. This might turn into more Brady's O, than Arian's. 

Arians is stubborn but not that stubborn IMO, it will be Tom's offense come September. Brady is a lot like Manning and can handle audibles and changing plays at the line. He has played 20 years lol.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Arians is stubborn but not that stubborn IMO, it will be Tom's offense come September. Brady is a lot like Manning and can handle audibles and changing plays at the line. He has played 20 years lol.

Yup. And while Brady may throw more deep than he has with the Pats, I'd bet that this year will have the lowest amount of deep throws for an Arian's O in many years.

54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

55 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding the Bucs, I think they are top 10 at worse. Until Brady just looks bad you can't underestimate him.

I think the Seahawks are too low, they have Russ. I pick them to win the NFC West, 49ers will have that SB hangover IMO. 49ers still should be a Wildcard though.

So did the browns. How did that turn out

Wonder if there is a “covid factor” in those rankings?

You know, there has to be higher chances of the virus slipping into a team from NEW York city, or LA, or Chicago.  Perhaps a lower risk in Denver, or Green Bay?

I know, by now you all are thinkIng I should be heading the national corona taskforce.

Mandate #1:
  “Anyone caught not social distancing and/or not wearing a mask in public will be forced to “

A:   Be tarred and Feathered

Or

B:    Watch 8 hours of Bill Belichek news conferences 

not sure which is worse.

6 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Wonder if there is a “covid factor” in those rankings?

You know, there has to be higher chances of the virus slipping into a team from NEW York city, or LA, or Chicago.  Perhaps a lower risk in Denver, or Green Bay?

I know, by now you all are thinkIng I should be heading the national corona taskforce.

Mandate #1:
  “Anyone caught not social distancing and/or not wearing a mask in public will be forced to “

A:   Be tarred and Feathered

Or

B:    Watch 8 hours of Bill Belichek news conferences 

not sure which is worse.

LOL, have another one on me.

Happy fourth to you!

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

lol. Not remotely comparable. Totally different situation, and totally different QB.

How exactly? You think a 42 year old Brady can really take another team to a Superbowl? In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs finish 8-8

Just now, CR91 said:

How exactly? You think a 42 year old Brady can really take another team to a Superbowl? In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucs finish 8-8

1. The Browns are "The Browns"

2. I don't care for Arians, but he's vastly superior to Kitchens. 

3. TB has a top 10 OL, while the Browns have a bottom 10

4. I'll take a 42 year old TB who was led the #8 passing O last year even though he had a ragtag group of pass catchers. He's going to a team who had the #1 passing O last year, and some of the best pass catchers.

5. The only thing TB needs this year, is to improve their pass D. They drafted a pretty good S in R2. IMO, their pass rush should be better this year too. It'll be the second year in Bowles' system, so I expect the DBs to improve a decent amount (Bowles has a DB history) on that aspect alone.

Not saying they're going to win the SB or anything, but they're not going to be the 2019 Browns either.

I honestly hope both TB and NE have losing seasons, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

1. The Browns are "The Browns"

2. I don't care for Arians, but he's vastly superior to Kitchens. 

3. TB has a top 10 OL, while the Browns have a bottom 10

4. I'll take a 42 year old TB who was led the #8 passing O last year even though he had a ragtag group of pass catchers. He's going to a team who had the #1 passing O last year, and some of the best pass catchers.

5. The only thing TB needs this year, is to improve their pass D. They drafted a pretty good S in R2. IMO, their pass rush should be better this year too. It'll be the second year in Bowles' system, so I expect the DBs to improve a decent amount (Bowles has a DB history) on that aspect alone.

Not saying they're going to win the SB or anything, but they're not going to be the 2019 Browns either.

I honestly hope both TB and NE have losing seasons, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

I honestly can't see how Brady will thrive in Arians offense. His offense is a lot of 7 step drops and long forming routes and that's not Brady's game. His game is a lot of quick passes. Not sure how that will work.

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

is offense is a lot of 7 step drops and long forming routes and that's not Brady's game.

they will change that for tom.  you dont bring in tom freaking brady and then run a scheme that doesnt suit him

denver modified what they did for peyton too,he wasnt an ideal fit in a GK offense 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they will change that for tom.  you dont bring in tom freaking brady and then run a scheme that doesnt suit him

denver modified what they did for peyton too,he wasnt an ideal fit in a GK offense 

I agree. Bucs will at least win 10 games, I don't think they will win the SB but they will be a contender for it.

I have 6 teams, based on where they left last season, and what they did this offseason, at the top of the league.

Chiefs

49ers

Saints

Seahawks

Ravens

Packers

After that, I have 12 teams, that's right, 12, all bundled together, in any order.

Colts

Titans

Texans

Steelers

Patriots

Bills

Rams

Vikings

Cowboys

Eagles

Bucs

Falcons

All kinds of factors will determine who finishes where, including among my top 6 and all I didn't list. But right now, my guess is the 2020 champ, if there is one, will come from one of those teams above.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

How much can you really modify a 50 throw, chucking it deep, getting hit every two throws offense? That's completely ill suited for Brady.

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

How much can you really modify a 50 throw, chucking it deep, getting hit every two throws offense?

nothing says they have to do that though.  they might take more shots than the patriots did, and they have better receivers too

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

I honestly can't see how Brady will thrive in Arians offense. His offense is a lot of 7 step drops and long forming routes and that's not Brady's game. His game is a lot of quick passes. Not sure how that will work.

Like I said earlier, Brady is going to do what Brady is comfortable and successful doing. This will likely end up being a hybrid O of what Brady does well, and the things in Arian's O that Brady can do well. You don't go somewhere if you're Brady not knowing what O you'll be running, and definitely won't go somewhere if you're not allowed to do what you know will be successful. And if your TB's GM, or Arians, you don't make a huge splash and pay a ton of money, to bring a guy like Brady in, only to force feed him an O that doesn't suit him.

I hope it tanks lol, but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

nothing says they have to do that though.  they might take more shots than the patriots did, and they have better receivers too

Kinda have to because the Bucs don't have the run game or defense the Patriots had to carry Brady like last year

52 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said earlier, Brady is going to do what Brady is comfortable and successful doing. This will likely end up being a hybrid O of what Brady does well, and the things in Arian's O that Brady can do well. You don't go somewhere if you're Brady not knowing what O you'll be running, and definitely won't go somewhere if you're not allowed to do what you know will be successful. And if your TB's GM, or Arians, you don't make a huge splash and pay a ton of money, to bring a guy like Brady in, only to force feed him an O that doesn't suit him.

I hope it tanks lol, but I doubt it.

You would hope so, but quick passes have never been Arians game rather in Pittsburgh, Arizona, or with us.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Kinda have to because the Bucs don't have the run game or defense the Patriots had to carry Brady like last year

Not really.

As far as the running game goes, the Bucs in the past have simply chose to be a pass first team. Their OL is ranked top 10, and they even added one of the best OLs in the draft (Wirfs) with the 13th pick. And Jones is a pretty decent young RB who can also catch. They also added a 3rd round draft pick (Vaughn) who put up nice #s in the SEC while having a lousy OL. He'll be a good one cut #2 RB to Jones. Anyway, I think they easily have what it takes to be a better running team if that's what they want to do.

On D, they were #1 run D. Like I said earlier, the big thing they need to work on is pass D. They drafted an early S in the 2nd, so that should help. Their new DC will be in his second year, and he has a DB background. Their front seven also has some pass rush potential.

In short, assuming TB will be more ball control with Brady, instead of wild west Winston, that will take a lot of pressure off the D alone. But overall, they don't have to be "Arians" O. They can run more, pass quicker/shorter, etc..

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not really.

As far as the running game goes, the Bucs in the past have simply chose to be a pass first team. Their OL is ranked top 10, and they even added one of the best OLs in the draft (Wirfs) with the 13th pick. And Jones is a pretty decent young RB who can also catch. They also added a 3rd round draft pick (Vaughn) who put up nice #s in the SEC while having a lousy OL. He'll be a good one cut #2 RB to Jones. Anyway, I think they easily have what it takes to be a better running team if that's what they want to do.

On D, they were #1 run D. Like I said earlier, the big thing they need to work on is pass D. They drafted an early S in the 2nd, so that should help. Their new DC will be in his second year, and he has a DB background. Their front seven also has some pass rush potential.

In short, assuming TB will be more ball control with Brady, instead of wild west Winston, that will take a lot of pressure off the D alone. But overall, they don't have to be "Arians" O. They can run more, pass quicker/shorter, etc..

Guess we'll have to see what happens.

On 7/4/2020 at 7:19 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most likely game to lose I went the Ravens.

Why are so many afraid of the Ravens with Lamar Jackson?  Colts usually beat the Ravens. This will be akin to our Kansas City win last year.  Colts will handle the Ravens similar to how the Titans did in the playoffs last season.  Until Jackson can win a playoff game I am not buying into all of their hype.  I think the game we are most likely to lose is at Pittsburgh.  We always lose there it seems. 

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Why are so many afraid of the Ravens with Lamar Jackson?  Colts usually beat the Ravens. This will be akin to our Kansas City win last year.  Colts will handle the Ravens similar to how the Titans did in the playoffs last season.  Until Jackson can win a playoff game I am not buying into all of their hype.  I think the game we are most likely to lose is at Pittsburgh.  We always lose there it seems. 

Pitt would've been my 2nd choice, the Ravens with Jackson have been a great regular season team.

They were the best rushing team ever last year and also have a good defense.  i dont get the playoff argument, took peyton a long time to win a playoff game too

I like our chances at home vs Balt. We're pretty decent vs the run on D, and they don't pass much in a traditional sense. Our O should be balanced. And I absolutely think we'll be able to run on them. I like the match up for us. Tough game, but not scared of them.

Archived