Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay teasing fans on a Luck return

Restinpeacesweetchloe

I think he's just trying to mess with fans, get some attention and get some hopes up.  

Irsay and Co seem to love to give people false hopes when it comes to QB situations.  Let's be frank they have never been fully honest with people about the extent of quarterback injuries.  

We where told that Luck's injury before he retired was a muscle strain or something like that.  He had that from OTA's right up into camp.

Luck's shoulder was killing him but the team pretended like he was going to start week 1.  Than they just moved the date back several times til it became clear he wouldn't start at all.  

They also pretended like Manning would be back in 2011.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think he's just trying to mess with fans, get some attention and get some hopes up.  

Irsay and Co seem to love to give people false hopes when it comes to QB situations.  Let's be frank they have never been fully honest with people about the extent of quarterback injuries.  

We where told that Luck's injury before he retired was a muscle strain or something like that.  He had that from OTA's right up into camp.

Luck's shoulder was killing him but the team pretended like he was going to start week 1.  Than they just moved the date back several times til it became clear he wouldn't start at all.  

They also pretended like Manning would be back in 2011.  

Was waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out. Irsay will announce Lucks' return just to sell season tickets. :facepalm:

We'd all be thrilled if he came back.  But then we'd all be wondering if this is the offseason where Luck hangs up the pads again for good.  We'll be in this yearly cycle of when and how should we address the backup QB spot more than any other team in the NFL, possibly using high resources when we could be using them for potentially better players at other positions, and worst of all, being without a stud QB at any point in time during the season. 

I don't think Luck would retire midseason, but he is pretty much responsible for the demise of the 2019 season.  At least I blame him more than any other person within the Colts organization.  Well...Luck and Ryan Grigson.

15 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Was waiting for the conspiracy theorists to come out. Irsay will announce Lucks' return just to sell season tickets. :facepalm:

I don't know that it's really a conspiracy theory to just recognize that the team has not been forthright with the fan base regarding quarterback injuries.  

And I'm not sure that the point is to sell season tickets.  Season tickets and ticks in general make up such a small part of team revenue that it doesn't seem worth it.  It might just be that front office convinces itself of the most optimistic projections and those are the only projections that they pass on.  

But either way it's not a conspiracy theory so much as it is a fact that the team has with every injury that caused Luck to miss more than one game it was accompanied by overly rosey projections from the front office about his return timetable.  It wasn't just once and the projections where not off by just a little bit.