Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Old Tweet-Manning’s love Jordan Love

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Oh crap. People in colts nation are gonna link them even more now. Peyton Manning approved. Lol

Does nothing for me, even though I’m tentatively in the “J. Love Fan Club.”

Thanks for sharing the tweet. 

Meh, the knock on Love is that he doesn't have the finer points of quarterbacking down.  Going through progressions, looking off DB's, decision making.

Manning Passing Academy doesn't have pads or anything like that.  A lot of the impressions from that are going to be heavily based on the quality of one's arm.  And everyone knows Love has a high quality arm.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Meh, the knock on Love is that he doesn't have the finer points of quarterbacking down.  Going through progressions, looking off DB's, decision making.

Manning Passing Academy doesn't have pads or anything like that.  A lot of the impressions from that are going to be heavily based on the quality of one's arm.  And everyone knows Love has a high quality arm.  

I suspect he attended the academy to pick up on the finer points of quarterbacking from the best there ever was. Another feather in his cap. 

We've discussed the positives with Love: mobility, arm talent, size, etc.

Need to discuss the negatives, too.  And there are plenty of big red flags on his 2019 tape that transcend the lack of talent around him.  Two of those red flags that keep popping up are: 1) inadequate processing/understanding of coverages (something that will get substantially tougher at the NFL level) and 2) locking onto his first read (something Jacoby suffers from). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:
We've discussed the positives with Love: mobility, arm talent, size, etc.

Need to discuss the negatives, too.  And there are plenty of big red flags on his 2019 tape that transcend the lack of talent around him.  Two of those red flags that keep popping up are: 1) inadequate processing/understanding of coverages (something that will get substantially tougher at the NFL level) and 2) locking onto his first read (something Jacoby suffers from). 

This perfectly states what I feel about Love.  His upside is going to bid him up too far, and there may be a winner’s curse...

• Like 2

love is awesome, dude is going to be the next great QB in the NFL, if he had the talent level that burrow has around him, my God. Imo he won't make it out if the top 15 picks in the draft. Lord help us all if the patriots grab him, he is Patrick mahomes 2.0, from a small school, overlooked but has amazing arm talent. I hope we are smart enough to grab him with our first round draft pick. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

love is awesome, dude is going to be the next great QB in the NFL, if he had the talent level that burrow has around him, my God. Imo he won't make it out if the top 15 picks in the draft. Lord help us all if the patriots grab him, he is Patrick mahomes 2.0, from a small school, overlooked but has amazing arm talent. I hope we are smart enough to grab him with our first round draft pick. 

why compare him to Burrows? To say he doesn’t have the same talent is why his stats aren’t even close to Burrows is the worst argument. Burrows plays way better competition weekly. Still has to make the plays happen as well. Love will get drafted higher than his skill set. That happens every single year. But to try and compare him to a better talent because LSU recruits better than USU is a flawed argument. 

• Like 1

How so? We see that stuff happen all the time in the NFL, and college, that's the whole reason players transfer from smaller to bigger more accomplished schools, players that are average can be great with the right team/Coaches around them.

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

why compare him to Burrows? To say he doesn’t have the same talent is why his stats aren’t even close to Burrows is the worst argument. Burrows plays way better competition weekly. Still has to make the plays happen as well. Love will get drafted higher than his skill set. That happens every single year. But to try and compare him to a better talent because LSU recruits better than USU is a flawed argument. 

If we draft him he'll sit for a year, Reich will train him on going thru progressions. My guess is they'll have Tom House work with him on his footwork & throwing motion. He has talent but he's raw and needs time and proper coaching to bring it out.

A diamond needs to have rough edges taken off in order to see its "fire" 

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Who’s Derrick Klassen?

He works for Pro Football Outsiders, who are akin to PFF in that they've developed some of the most influential modern statistics and analytics in football (DVOA for the NFL, SP+ for CFB, etc.).

He analyzes film for them (with a focus on QBs).  There are lots of randoms giving their takes on social media, but he's one of the few I'd actually pay attention to.  And I happen to agree with pretty much everything he says re: Love, which is very reasonable and backed up by the film.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 11:03 AM, TheBlueAndWhite said:

How so? We see that stuff happen all the time in the NFL, and college, that's the whole reason players transfer from smaller to bigger more accomplished schools, players that are average can be great with the right team/Coaches around them.

Your last sentence was the best thing you could say. All of the other stuff doesn’t matter. Coaches and schemes are what matters. Fromm had talent and didn’t do what Burrows did. Why is that? Because talent not just roster. Love going from USU to LSU doesn’t mean anything other than he could have still struggled with terrible decisions against better teams. 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, DaColts85 said:

Exactly! Isn't mediocre/poor production against lesser opponents one of the oldest draft red flags in the book? It's all going to come down to how well he does this offseason and if coaches think he can improve some of his issue.