Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Love - 5 review summary (pros and cons) 12/11/19

5 reviews below. There's some disagreement in a few areas (identified below), but overall pretty consistent. Most of these reviews came pre or early season.

Summary of Pros and Cons (5 reviews)

Pros

1. Size, mobility, athleticism

2. Extends play and capable passer while outside the pocket. Improvises very well.

3. Efficient release

4. Good pocket presence and keep eyes down field

5. Good awareness of his options/outlets

6. Has the arm talent to make any throw

7. Good touch and placement at all levels. Can zip when necessary or drop it in the bucket

8. Good vs zone Ds

9. Can get the ball out quickly and does a good job beating blitzes

10. Good at screens

11. Doesn't hesitate or second guess. 

12. He appears to have a fair amount of responsibility at the LOS with regards to audible’s and protections (this is countered by another review)

Cons

1. Needs to improve field vision

2. Needs to improve processing speed and coverage reads, especially rotating deep safeties (could be scheme deficiency)

3. Can be over aggressive vertically

4. Likes to play hero ball

5. Needs to improve eye manipulation

FYI / Other

1. Doesn’t play in an offense where he makes a lot of pre-snap or post-snap adjustments (counter to above)

2. The Aggie offense involved a heavy amount of RPOs that allowed Love to become comfortable with throwing quick slants, and hitch patterns from different alignments

Marino (Draft Network)

Pros - Checks the boxes in terms of size and body composition. Good mobility and athleticism; capable of extending plays with his feet, hitting throws on the move and taking off with the ball in his hands. Sound mechanically. Over the top release that is efficient. Does well to follow through and get his legs involved on throws. Love how he hangs in the pocket and keeps his eyes down the field. Willing to test leverage advantages in man coverage and slot throws between zones. Aware of his outlets. Has the arm talent to make any throw. Has some impressive moments of ball placement to all levels. 

Cons - Needs to improve his field vision and awareness. Often fails to recognize or completely disregards coverage rotations and it doesn’t have a great enough impact on his decision making. He throws some careless, YOLO balls that need to be reduced. While there is a lot to like about his willingness to be patient and stay in the pocket, his internal clock is often tardy. Can be aggressive vertically to fault. Want to see Utah State put more on his plate moving forward. The offense gets set quick and Love looks to the sideline for audibles/play calls. 

Crabbs (Draft Network)

PROS: Jordan Love has awesome physical tools -- he rarely gets boxed in by pass rush without having the opportunity to get outside the pocket, showing great escapability. Love's ability to make plays off script is key to his next level projection, which allows him to defeat pressure. Whether it comes from his legs or from his arm, Love isn't contained or derailed with free rushers. He's got great touch in the middle of the field and shows the ability to drop the ball overtop of the second level with consistency, regardless of whether or not he's on the move or stationary in the pocket. I love his ability to tear up zone coverage, too. He does an awesome job of finding easy completions and will do well to throw away from leveraged defenders when he's trying to squeeze the ball into tight windows. Inside of 20 yards down the field, he's very reliable to drill the ball where it needs to be and can zip darts through coverage and get to his target. His arm provides ample zip and can bail him out when he's off balance or when there are defenders in his face at the point of release. Willing to take the easy completions vs. pressure and consistently gets the ball out vs. blitz packages.

CONS: Love's ability to work outside of structure is great, but he does lean on it too much in some instances and would be better off not being so quick to fall into hero-ball. He had a lot of boosted production in 2018 thanks to cheap completions in the screen game -- which inflated his productivity in some of the games that I watched. Love was busted a number of times with rotating coverage, failing to ID deep defenders flowing into his preferred target and he needs to be more attentive to keep his eyes on the deep safety, even when he knows where he wants to go with the football. The eyes don't lie, he's willing to work progressions but is often quick to find where he's looking to throw and would love to see more eye manipulation in 2019.

Tuls (Draft Network)

PROS: Looks the part. Possesses prototypical size and athleticism. No shortage of physical traits. Effortless arm talent and touch. Can fit throws into tight windows at all levels of the field. Knows when to zip throws to receivers with velocity, as well as drop throws into the bucket with some finesse. Doesn’t hesitate or second-guess. Aggressive, decisive downhill thrower. Solid mobility and maneuverability when the play breaks down. Accuracy doesn’t waver while on the move or out of structure.

CONS: Pace at the next level will be a steep transition. Doesn’t play in an offense where he makes a lot of pre-snap or post-snap adjustments. Progression reading is not in his portfolio. Poor recognition and processing speed. Defensive coordinators were able to overwhelm him with different, mixed-up packages. Decision making can get out of control. Needs to find a rhythm and pace where he isn’t recognizing too slow, but also not rushing and locking in his decisions. Doesn’t disguise his motives well at all… often stares down intended targets.

Reid (Draft Network)

PROS: Love is an easy thrower of the ball and releases it with a quick snap of the wrist. While having a strong arm and well developed accuracy, he has a high IQ level of knowing what type of pitches to use in certain situations. He shows his maturity by employing a totality of pitches in his arsenal, and chooses when to use them. Knowing that fastballs aren’t always needed and only using them when necessary, his touch and feel for the amount of velocity to put on each throw is off the charts. Possessing well above average arm talent, he essentially keeps it in a glass case and only likes to bring it out when necessary.

He has the ability to fire the ball into tight windows and doesn't show any timidness about testing them when opportunities are present. This type of eagerness and mindset is one that will draw scouts towards him because of his assertiveness to pull the trigger and layer the ball to all three levels of the field. His deep touch and ability to "drop it in the bucket" down the field is another trait that has scouts raving about him.

Love prides himself on taking advantage of matchups underneath and getting the ball into the hands of his weapons as quickly as possible and accurately, which allows them to gain yards after the catch in a hurry. The Aggie offense involved a heavy amount of RPOs that allowed Love to become comfortable with throwing quick slants, and hitch patterns from different alignments.

CONS: Defenses were able to disguise their coverages successfully against Love due to a poor level of post-snap structure recognition. Spinning safeties and veiling certain looks resulted in struggles for him and it brought upon ill-advised throws, which resulted in turnovers or bad decisions. 

Harris (Draft Network)

PROS: Jordan possesses very good proactive athleticism for the position. He appears to have a fair amount of responsibility at the LOS with regards to audible’s and protections.  He displays good command of the offense. He is quick in his drop and shows good foot work in the pocket. Has shown instances of good pocket presence and poise, safe for moments in the LSU game.  He can change his arm angle on check downs and other short area throws to fit in tight windows. He does a good job of helping the protection with his decisiveness and by getting the ball out quickly. He has very good escapability and does a very good job of extending plays with his legs. His quick release, decisiveness and internal timer allow him to makes plays on schedule. His good athleticism, ability to improvise and his very good mobility allow him to make plays off schedule, giving the offense another opportunity. He does a very good job of keeping his eyes downfield when escaping the pocket and has shown good accuracy and touch on the move. He has shown good accuracy and touch on intermediate to deep throws, putting the ball on the number away from the defender and allowing the receiver to catch and run.  His skill set is a very good fit for today's NFL. The arrow is definitely pointing up with this player and his best football is ahead of him. 

CONS: Holds the ball low and has a wind up, Carson Wentz-like release. He needs to get his operation more compact.  This would speed up his release even more. The LSU game is a good barometer relative to what he will see in the NFL with regards to level of competition. In that game, as the pressure got to him he started to “see” the rush. Has shown good poise in the pocket in the past but got “sped up” in the LSU game. Had some moments of inconsistent decision making in this game and seemingly lost his poise.  In the LSU game he forced the ball in tight windows and had some ill-advised throws. He has worked mostly from the gun and will needs reps working under center. Needs to throw with more touch in short to intermediate throws.

• Like 6

Seems like they all essentially say the same things, he looks the part and can make all of the throws, inside and outside the pocket, but lacks the ability to diagnose coverages. It seems like coordinators are able to disguise coverages, or audible without Love being able to recognize what's going on. 

I look at it like: You can't teach that kind of size, accuracy, willingness to make the throw (see: Brissett, Jacoby), but you can teach him to read/diagnose coverages, and when to make the throw and when to check it down or throw it away. Mahomes was NOT polished coming out, but after a year on the sidelines he refined his craft. 

Only thing that scares me off is an inflated draft cost, I really don't wanna have to use more than 1 pick to get him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Seems like they all essentially say the same things, he looks the part and can make all of the throws, inside and outside the pocket, but lacks the ability to diagnose coverages. It seems like coordinators are able to disguise coverages, or audible without Love being able to recognize what's going on. 

I look at it like: You can't teach that kind of size, accuracy, willingness to make the throw (see: Brissett, Jacoby), but you can teach him to read/diagnose coverages, and when to make the throw and when to check it down or throw it away. Mahomes was NOT polished coming out, but after a year on the sidelines he refined his craft. 

Only thing that scares me off is an inflated draft cost, I really don't wanna have to use more than 1 pick to get him. 

Some other things I've read lead me to believe their scheme doesn't ask for a lot of pre snap ID, which is counter to some of the reviews. It's on my list to check out. IIRC, the scheme is closer to a Chud scheme than a Reich scheme, but I could be mis-remembering. If that's the case, I can understand his greeness in that area.

I made this highlight video of the best plays of Jordan Love from this year. I have watched every single Aggie game this year and believe without a doubt that Love is something special! If you want to see how he did this year, this film is perfect! He may have had 16 interceptions that are not shown, but if you look at the interceptions, a lot of them were 50/50 balls that would have been caught by the offense if the wide receivers were more elite. Also, the offensive coordinator this year at Utah State struggled in putting Love in the right situations early on in the season. That being said, a lot of his throws left me in awe this year and he truly does have a god given talent. We had a lot of drops by our wide receivers that would have led to more touchdowns and yards for Love. If you watch the entire film, he made multiple huge plays every game and his arm talent is apparent in every game this season. Many people criticize the year he has had in 2019, but all of the plays in this video were this year. Everyone wants to say go back to last year and that proves what talent he has, but I don't think that is the case. He did not have as bad of a year as people think and with a tad bit better coaching, offensive line, and play makers, he will THRIVE! I really hope the Colts pick him as I think that would be a perfect fit. He is a great young man and will go down as my favorite all time Aggie and one of the best to play in an Aggie uniform! If he wasn't leaving to the draft, he would shatter about every USU record next year. GO AGGIES!

• Like 1

seeing some increased activity on the mocks with love. 

He has hit a new "high" in draft position from the major mocks with CBS predicting he goes 14th to the Raiders. That's up 2 from 16 (Colts) which was his previous high.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-love-lands-with-raiders-eagles-prioritize-receiver-with-ceedee-lamb/

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

seeing some increased activity on the mocks with love. 

He has hit a new "high" in draft position from the major mocks with CBS predicting he goes 14th to the Raiders. That's up 2 from 16 (Colts) which was his previous high.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-love-lands-with-raiders-eagles-prioritize-receiver-with-ceedee-lamb/

If he needs to sit a year that is another perfect team for him to go to. This is going to be one of the most exciting drafts in a long time for colts.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he needs to sit a year that is another perfect team for him to go to. This is going to be one of the most exciting drafts in a long time for colts.

Raiders need to improve their pass D a lot more than they need a new QB. Carr is near top 10 in QBR and is 70% in completion rate. I don't see them taking a QB. I'd say CB, LB, and WR are their biggest needs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

5 reviews below. There's some disagreement in a few areas (identified below), but overall pretty consistent. Most of these reviews came pre or early season.

Pros

2. Extends play and capable passer while outside the pocket. Improvises very well.

3. Efficient release

7. Good touch and placement at all levels. Can zip when necessary or drop it in the bucket

8. Good vs zone Ds

10. Good at screens

12. He appears to have a fair amount of responsibility at the LOS with regards to audible’s and protections (this is countered by another review)

Cons

2. Needs to improve processing speed and coverage reads, especially rotating deep safeties (could be scheme deficiency)

FYI / Other

1. Doesn’t play in an offense where he makes a lot of pre-snap or post-snap adjustments (counter to above)

2. The Aggie offense involved a heavy amount of RPOs that allowed Love to become comfortable with throwing quick slants, and hitch patterns from different alignments

Marino (Draft Network)

Crabbs (Draft Network)

Tuls (Draft Network)

Reid (Draft Network)

Harris (Draft Network)

I think Tuls from draft network and his cons really scare the crap out of me. Vision is something I’d like the next guy to have possessed and used well. Without that vision and pre snap read ability trait, we will just have a newer version of Brissett. I’m glad it’s not my decision. I’d have Ulcers and drink like a fish, well, a biggger fish than my current drink status lol

8 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I think Tuls from draft network and his cons really scare the crap out of me. Vision is something I’d like the next guy to have possessed and used well. Without that vision and pre snap read ability trait, we will just have a newer version of Brissett. I’m glad it’s not my decision. I’d have Ulcers and drink like a fish, well, a biggger fish than my current drink status lol

Tuls's review actually is counter to some of the other reviews. It's also inaccurate in regards to their scheme IIRC. I think he is also basing a lot off of one game (LSU). 

This was just my first dip into Love, and I'll do much more. In many years of following the draft, you see the conflicting stuff about almost every player, especially QB. I've also see enough film to know he plays nothing like JB does, now, or in college.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Vision (seeing without looking at a particular spot) can be taught. It's too bad it isn't taught earlier because it takes 3 - 6 months to learn, longer to perfect. Find a coach or consultant that knows how - tennis, ping pong, pickleball, most racquet sports coaches know this technique.

One attribute I appreciate that was called out was touch at all levels. Luck struggled with this really until last year and Brissett is horrendous when it comes to touch.  He is like a pitcher that only has a 102 mph fast ball and can't throw a change up.  We really need touch in Reich's scheme imo.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Who do the Colts cut, when they draft the franchise QB in 2020 draft?

Surely, they wouldn’t pay both Brissett and Hoyer. Cutting Brissett makes sense, unless they could trade him a 6th or 7th Rd pick. 

Thoughts?

IMO it will be either Hoyer or Brissett. Or they will trade either Hoyer or Brissett if they can. I have to check what their contract details are like but if I had to guess, there will be a team or two willing to give up like... a 4th for Brissett to be their bridge QB, but... IMO this won't happen unless the QB we draft is ready to play day 1(Wentz/Sam Bradford situation in Philly).

If we draft QB and he's ready day 1, IMO this is when there is high chance we trade Jacoby for whatever the best offer is. So we keep rookie QB starting, Hoyer QB2, Kelly practice squad/QB3.

If we draft QB and he's not ready day 1, IMO the most likely scenario is that we keep Jacoby and start him and we release or trade Hoyer, so the QB depth chart will be Jacoby QB1, rookie QB2, Kelly QB3/PS.

4 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Vision (seeing without looking at a particular spot) can be taught. It's too bad it isn't taught earlier because it takes 3 - 6 months to learn, longer to perfect. Find a coach or consultant that knows how - tennis, ping pong, pickleball, most racquet sports coaches know this technique.

If this is in fact a true statement, then why is it that JB still can’t perform this?  It’s pretty well documented that JB can’t see half of the field during the games so I can’t imagine it’s just as simple as a 3-6 month learning curve. Idk, maybe some can pick it up like that and some can never. Which begs the question here, if it’s that simple to do, the colts have had JB since 2017. Surely we’ve tried to teach him this skill over that time. If he could t learn this for 2017 and 2018 and 2019, why did we go ahead and pay him millions more for this year? NFL isn’t charity and they would seemingly know, JB just isn’t going to be capable of picking up this skill. If not, he would clearly not be a future starter for the team, right? Idk

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

IMO it will be either Hoyer or Brissett. Or they will trade either Hoyer or Brissett if they can. I have to check what their contract details are like but if I had to guess, there will be a team or two willing to give up like... a 4th for Brissett to be their bridge QB, but... IMO this won't happen unless the QB we draft is ready to play day 1(Wentz/Sam Bradford situation in Philly).

If we draft QB and he's ready day 1, IMO this is when there is high chance we trade Jacoby for whatever the best offer is. So we keep rookie QB starting, Hoyer QB2, Kelly practice squad/QB3.

If we draft QB and he's not ready day 1, IMO the most likely scenario is that we keep Jacoby and start him and we release or trade Hoyer, so the QB depth chart will be Jacoby QB1, rookie QB2, Kelly QB3/PS.

If we draft a QB in the first or second, that is definitely our guy, they’ve went all in to change the guard. Saying that, why would Kelly even be a thought for this team any longer? The team absolutely loves JB and I’d say they either rework his contract as a team back up guy and pay cut or they just keep him on this last year and move from there. I’d see little reason to keep Kelly under the draft of a new guy circumstance. We know JB could come in and spot a QB if injured a game or two. What service does Hoyer then provide that a coaching staff couldn’t now? I’d probably keep JB with the new guy and have a great teammate that can back up. Hoyer is a wasted spot imho. He isn’t a good QB and his value was to mentor JB in the film room and accelerate his curve. He is no longer that needed curve now and you let coaches work film study with the new one. That’s my 2 cents 

9 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If we draft a QB in the first or second, that is definitely our guy, they’ve went all in to change the guard. Saying that, why would Kelly even be a thought for this team any longer?

He has institutional knowledge. He's been growing within the system, he knows what's required and how Frank and the rest of the staff approaches practices and scout team. If they are happy with how he's doing his job, I see no reason to look for someone else. They kept a much worse QB like Phillip Walker as QB3 for several years for similar reasons. 

The team absolutely loves JB and I’d say they either rework his contract as a team back up guy and pay cut or they just keep him on this last year and move from there. I’d see little reason to keep Kelly under the draft of a new guy circumstance. We know JB could come in and spot a QB if injured a game or two. What service does Hoyer then provide that a coaching staff couldn’t now? I’d probably keep JB with the new guy and have a great teammate that can back up. Hoyer is a wasted spot imho. He isn’t a good QB and his value was to mentor JB in the film room and accelerate his curve. He is no longer that needed curve now and you let coaches work film study with the new one. That’s my 2 cents 

Jacoby is too expensive to be a backup and probably has higher ambitions than to be a backup. And if we draft a QB high this sends pretty clear signal to him and to the rest of the team that they are looking for upgrade over Brissett and that even if the new guy is not the guy now, either him or someone else will be looked at in the future to replace Brissett as the starter. I guess I can see him staying as a backup for that one year he has on his contract but if I had to guess he would try to find a starting job elsewhere after that year expires and he won't be willing to rework his contract and take a paycut to stay. 

I kind of agree about Hoyer not having much value and not being very good. There is a reason he had no team 1 week before the start of the season. It's not because he's very good. 

5 hours ago, Shepman said:

One attribute I appreciate that was called out was touch at all levels. Luck struggled with this really until last year and Brissett is horrendous when it comes to touch.  He is like a pitcher that only has a 102 mph fast ball and can't throw a change up.  We really need touch in Reich's scheme imo.

He has shown touch. We just don’t see it on a consistent basis. The TD pass to pascal and the two point conversion were beautiful last week. Ir seems he struggles between the 20’s with it.  He had a great TD pass to Campbell early in the year. It’s just inconsistent.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

He has institutional knowledge. He's been growing within the system, he knows what's required and how Frank and the rest of the staff approaches practices and scout team. If they are happy with how he's doing his job, I see no reason to look for someone else. They kept a much worse QB like Phillip Walker as QB3 for several years for similar reasons. 

Jacoby is too expensive to be a backup and probably has higher ambitions than to be a backup. And if we draft a QB high this sends pretty clear signal to him and to the rest of the team that they are looking for upgrade over Brissett and that even if the new guy is not the guy now, either him or someone else will be looked at in the future to replace Brissett as the starter. I guess I can see him staying as a backup for that one year he has on his contract but if I had to guess he would try to find a starting job elsewhere after that year expires and he won't be willing to rework his contract and take a paycut to stay. 

I kind of agree about Hoyer not having much value and not being very good. There is a reason he had no team 1 week before the start of the season. It's not because he's very good. 

I can agree with the first part of your statement, Kelly does bring cheap back up play with knowledge of the system. He is a better upside than Hoyer. 

as for the second part, who in the nfl would give JB a starting spot based on his play this year? I can’t think of one team that needs that level of a QB as their guy. Not even Miami. I think JB has played his way out of expectations he may land a starters role anywhere after this season. Don’t see it at all. I could see a restructured contract or just an outright cut here and possible resign but I don’t see any market for JB anymore. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Raiders need to improve their pass D a lot more than they need a new QB. Carr is near top 10 in QBR and is 70% in completion rate. I don't see them taking a QB. I'd say CB, LB, and WR are their biggest needs.

I’d say Gruden does not like Carr and wants someone else he also would die to get luck out of retirement, but we obviously own his rights but that being said I do not think QB is off there radar

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If this is in fact a true statement, then why is it that JB still can’t perform this?  It’s pretty well documented that JB can’t see half of the field during the games so I can’t imagine it’s just as simple as a 3-6 month learning curve. Idk, maybe some can pick it up like that and some can never. Which begs the question here, if it’s that simple to do, the colts have had JB since 2017. Surely we’ve tried to teach him this skill over that time. If he could t learn this for 2017 and 2018 and 2019, why did we go ahead and pay him millions more for this year? NFL isn’t charity and they would seemingly know, JB just isn’t going to be capable of picking up this skill. If not, he would clearly not be a future starter for the team, right? Idk

This skill is taught in many areas - speed reading, sports visual therapy, etc. It expands the central and peripheral vision. It has been shown to improve hand-eye coordination and even reduces sports injuries.

https://vision-therapy-pa.com/behavioral-optometry/visual-therapy-visual-training

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

This skill is taught in many areas - speed reading, sports visual therapy, etc. It expands the central and peripheral vision. It has been shown to improve hand-eye coordination and even reduces sports injuries.

https://vision-therapy-pa.com/behavioral-optometry/visual-therapy-visual-training

https://www.mcdonaldeyecare.com/how-improving-your-peripheral-vision-could-help-prevent-sports-injuries/ 

• Like 1

I couldn’t find a video of this and the sound isn’t good. Your going to have to turn it  up. He is saying Love could turn into a better nfl QB then Burrow. I think he is mostly saying it’s because Love will to a better organization. This is exactly why you have to really be careful with QB from really big schools. There is so much talent around them it’s hard to judge just how good they really are.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

Who do the Colts cut, when they draft the franchise QB in 2020 draft?

Surely, they wouldn’t pay both Brissett and Hoyer. Cutting Brissett makes sense, unless they could trade him a 6th or 7th Rd pick. 

Thoughts?

It's a tough question and really depends on several things.

As far as JB is concerned, if he wanted to be traded, I'd grant that request. If he was fine with being a backup, I'd be more than happy to keep him. The money really isn't an issue for us at this point.

Hoyer, I said it when we picked him up, he's bad..... I'd cut him regardless of what we do with JB or Kelly. If he's there to teach JB trade craft, or how to prepare for certain Ds, he's failing big time... He's certainly not fulfilling the other side of the coin (on field performance).

Kelly, that's a tougher question. If we draft a QB that needs a mentor, not sure Kelly is the backup to keep. Honestly we could simply higher an assistant who is also an X-QB to provide mentoring, so not sure that's a big issue anyway. If Kelly has potential and the staff believes he can keep his head on straight, I'd say keep him. If Kelly is only here because Reich is doing Jim a favor, or if he's *, or if he's still drinking and acting a fool, I'd cut him and tell Jim we've done all we can lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hambone35 said:

I’d say Gruden does not like Carr and wants someone else he also would die to get luck out of retirement, but we obviously own his rights but that being said I do not think QB is off there radar

If it's on the radar, it's a "like to have", but I think CB, LB, WR, and DL are all "need to haves". 

They're giving up the 4th most points in the league (28ish), and would be *s if they ignored the D early. If they think they can make some big FA move to correct things, OK, but they are a lopsided team, and the O (who is lacking really only WRs) is much farther along than the D.

Just now, EastStreet said:

So why specifically based on his skill set does Love need to sit. And what specifically will he learn from JB?

All the draft experts have said he needs to sit and learn with better coaching. He hasn’t had great coaching. I think it will set him up for the future better also. What he can learn from Jacoby is how to be a pro and leadership. Jacoby will most likely start and finis his contract and we will move on. We are also so fixated on a QB and Ballard might not even go in that direction. Now there is a chance maybe he really shows out in camp and wins the job. I just think it will help his future if he sits a year like Mahomes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

All the draft experts have said he needs to sit and learn with better coaching. He hasn’t had great coaching. I think it will set him up for the future better also. What he can learn from Jacoby is how to be a pro and leadership. Jacoby will most likely start and finis his contract and we will move on. We are also so fixated on a QB and Ballard might not even go in that direction. Now there is a chance maybe he really shows out in camp and wins the job. I just think it will help his future if he sits a year like Mahomes. 

Not good coaching? Maybe this year, but last year he had Yost who has 20+ years experience and was a Broyles award semi finalist. Yost has coached the quarterbacks position for most of his career, mentoring guys likes of Brad Smith, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert at Missouri, Justin Hebert at Oregon and Jordan Love most recently at Utah State.

So who are all the experts? The things Love struggles with are things that JB is still bad at, so not sure having JB as a mentor is ideal. I've read/watched a lot of reports/reviews on him, and aside for the anecdotal opinions that all rooks are best served by sitting a year to learn scheme and adapt to NFL speed, I'm not seeing a lot of substance or specifics in reasoning.

Indy is a good situation already. A lot of QBs would kill to play behind a line like ours, and have our running game to balance things out. A good passer made most of the same WRs look a lot better last year, so who's to say Love can't hit the open guys that JB has missed time and time again. You're also assuming JB would want to stay and groom a new QB knowing we drafted a guy to take over.

And yes, many are fixated on QB. And most of the JB fan club is fixating on WRs... 

27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think two more drafts would really help a kid like love come into the best possible situation.

So he's got a top 5 or 10 OL, a top 5 running game, a prior pro-bowl TE locked up for 3 years, a great catching APB, a pro bowl veteran WR, a second rounder from last year, and likely another good one from the 2020 draft. Most teams that draft, and start, a rook QB, don't have anywhere close to that. 

two more drafts.... 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I can agree with the first part of your statement, Kelly does bring cheap back up play with knowledge of the system. He is a better upside than Hoyer. 

as for the second part, who in the nfl would give JB a starting spot based on his play this year? I can’t think of one team that needs that level of a QB as their guy. Not even Miami. I think JB has played his way out of expectations he may land a starters role anywhere after this season. Don’t see it at all. I could see a restructured contract or just an outright cut here and possible resign but I don’t see any market for JB anymore. 

There are teams every year that for some reason or another(they miss on their targets in the off-season, their presumed starter gets injured in camp, they look for stable QB with a young but not ready rookie, etc.) decide to pursue a stop gap QB. Teams have given 1st for Sam Bradford, 3d for Tyrod Taylor, etc... It happens almost every year...

Reich would be who he learns from. The leadership and intangibles like being a pro are things he can learn from Jacoby.

If you put a kid in to soon it can ruin their career. Mahomes has done quit well sitting a year. If not for Flacco’s injury Lamar would of sat a year too. 

Like i also said you never know he could win the job in camp. If a rookie does win the job they’ve aren’t cutting him either. He only has one season left. Plus they owe him a roster bonus before the drsft.

Everyone is going to have to accept Jacoby will most likely be the starter next season.  This forum is going explode if ballard passes on a QB.

An interesting stat PFF shared about Love on their most recent 2 for 1 draft podcast - Love has passing grade of 85.7 in first halves of games and 56.2 passing grade second halves. They attribute it to him pressing and trying too hard to will his team to wins and overcome deficits at half time. Most turnover worthy plays in second half of games in the entire nation. 

https://player.fm/series/2-for-1-drafts/connor-rogers-interview-all-draft-stock-team (the part about Love is in the last 5 or so minutes of the episode). 

Here's some more from their quick summary for Love:

Positives:

-ball jumps out of his hands

-slings it to all levels of the field

-shows touch attacking between linebackers and under the safeties

-overall accuracy is a plus

-one of the best in the country in avoiding sacks - great pocket presence, if guys are in his face he dumps it, doesn't take negative plays.

- converted pressures to sacks - only 10.5% of the time - this is rare, elite level

Negatives:

-51 passer rating under pressure

-so yes, he avoids sacks, but he doesn't make good things happen once he avoids the sack ... so no negative plays, but also not really positive plays under pressure.

-tons of screens , 1/4 of his yards last year came from screens

-doesn't always bring his lower half when he throws, his feet are all over the place, doesn't always step through his throws, leads to inaccuracy downfield. Relies a lot on his arm... similar to Aaron Rodgers in this respect. 

-throws late over the middle of the field

They think he made a mistake declaring, they think he could have been top 5 next year if he transferred and made the required improvements in his game. They think second round is good place to take him. They think it's risky for GM to pick him round 1. 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, EastStreet said:

Pros

3. Efficient release

8. Good vs zone Ds

10. Good at screens

Cons

FYI / Other

Marino (Draft Network)

Crabbs (Draft Network)

Tuls (Draft Network)

Reid (Draft Network)

Harris (Draft Network)

I believe Reich could work with this guy Brissett just isn't that kind of talent.

His lack of lower body usage on throws definitely stands out on film — particularly when he’s off schedule. Also noticed the sloppy footwork at times and weird arm angles/actions on certain kinds of passes. 

Love is absolutely my guy in the first right now — even with a modest trade up — but I think it’s fair to say he’s going to need a decent amount of coaching on fundamentals at the next level.