Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My 3 Draft Scenarios

I believe that according to this board we have three options in this draft. So I did a mock draft for all three. 

1. Take a quarterback with 1st. According to the board this is Jordan Love. 

2. Take a QB in the second or 3rd and build around them/improve team. 

3. Take a QB late and build weapons around JB. 

I complete a mock draft for each. I will attached pictures below. 

C7ED3D34-C517-4E90-8A0E-EBA9E9184BB3.jpeg

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I believe that according to this board we have three options in this draft. So I did a mock draft for all three. 

1. Take a quarterback with 1st. According to the board this is Jordan Love. 

2. Take a QB in the second or 3rd and build around them/improve team. 

3. Take a QB late and build weapons around JB. 

I complete a mock draft for each. I will attached pictures below. 

C7ED3D34-C517-4E90-8A0E-EBA9E9184BB3.jpeg

Just like any position, and maybe even more so with the QB position, , you don't take a QB because you NEED one.  In our situation, you take a QB because you think its highly likely he will be better than what we have, and may be something special over the long term.

If you pick because of need, there is a good chance you won't be advancing the talent of the position, so it becomes a wasted pick, IMO.

Is either Love or Hurts likely to be better than JB in the short term, and will either or both be better long term?

If you don't like JB, do you acquire, say, Case Keenum until such time as the right QB becomes available in the draft?

Redskins thought that Haskins was the guy (maybe he will be).  And so did the pundits when they rated him a first rounder.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just like any position, and maybe even more so with the QB position, , you don't take a QB because you NEED one.  In our situation, you take a QB because you think its highly likely he will be better than what we have, and may be something special over the long term.

If you pick because of need, there is a good chance you won't be advancing the talent of the position, so it becomes a wasted pick, IMO.

Is either Love or Hurts likely to be better than JB in the short term, and will either or both be better long term?

If you don't like JB, do you acquire, say, Case Keenum until such time as the right QB becomes available in the draft?

Redskins thought that Haskins was the guy (maybe he will be).  And so did the pundits when they rated him a first rounder.

Just keep winning 8 games and picking in the middle of the round? That strategy is bunk, and will leave us outside looking in on guys like Burrow/Tua and Lawrence/Fields. 

One thing is for sure, I trust Ballard's ability to scout, and his judgment, so if they do in fact take a developmental guy, or they trade up to take someone, I trust that they did their homework. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Just keep winning 8 games and picking in the middle of the round? That strategy is bunk, and will leave us outside looking in on guys like Burrow/Tua and Lawrence/Fields. 

One thing is for sure, I trust Ballard's ability to scout, and his judgment, so if they do in fact take a developmental guy, or they trade up to take someone, I trust that they did their homework. 

If you're saying that we need Burrow/Tua to win more than 8 games, why are we selecting Love at 17 or Fields at 34?  Seems like you'd be advocating trading up.

I was looking at it from the other side.  If we're going to use only the capital needed to get a developmental QB (IOW risk that he won't be the guy), why do we NEED to draft one this year and not wait to see if better developmental QBs become available over the next few years or even later in this draft? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

If you're saying that we need Burrow/Tua to win more than 8 games, why are we selecting Love at 17 or Fields at 34?  Seems like you'd be advocating trading up.

I was looking at it from the other side.  If we're going to use only the capital needed to get a developmental QB (IOW risk that he won't be the guy), why do we NEED to draft one this year and not wait to see if better developmental QBs become available over the next few years or even later in this draft? 

Simply put, guys lose their jobs like that. GM's, HC's, Coordinators, etc. The NFL is very much a win now league. Waiting years, as a luxury, just isn't an option. 

Fields at 34? Justin Fields? He's gonna go 1st or 2nd in 2021, without hesitation. Barring some catastrophic injury, he and Trevor Lawrence will go 1 and 2 in 2021. 

I know, Ballard knows, everyone knows, that JB isn't the longterm answer in Indy. At that point one of a few things needs to happen: A) We draft a guy with whatever pick we end up with in the 1st, likely 15-20 range, B) We spend draft capital to move up and try to get Tua or Herbert, C) They take the best available players, and wait on QB, while strengthening the team, hoping to hit in 2021.

The problem with Option C is that you have to be bad enough to be in position for Lawrence or Fields or there's no point. I'm thinking several teams have their eye on that draft. A secondary note, Ballard could choose to trade back in this draft multiple times in the first couple of rounds in an effort to acquire as much draft capital as possible, then strike in 2021, in an effort to land Lawrence or Fields. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Simply put, guys lose their jobs like that. GM's, HC's, Coordinators, etc. The NFL is very much a win now league. Waiting years, as a luxury, just isn't an option. 

Fields at 34? Justin Fields? He's gonna go 1st or 2nd in 2021, without hesitation. Barring some catastrophic injury, he and Trevor Lawrence will go 1 and 2 in 2021. 

I know, Ballard knows, everyone knows, that JB isn't the longterm answer in Indy. At that point one of a few things needs to happen: A) We draft a guy with whatever pick we end up with in the 1st, likely 15-20 range, B) We spend draft capital to move up and try to get Tua or Herbert, C) They take the best available players, and wait on QB, while strengthening the team, hoping to hit in 2021.

The problem with Option C is that you have to be bad enough to be in position for Lawrence or Fields or there's no point. I'm thinking several teams have their eye on that draft. A secondary note, Ballard could choose to trade back in this draft multiple times in the first couple of rounds in an effort to acquire as much draft capital as possible, then strike in 2021, in an effort to land Lawrence or Fields. 

I don't disagree at all.  I think a proven vet like Stafford or Ryan helps us win now.  Not saying they will come here or that they are even available.

I'm saying in this thread that taking a QB at 17 or 34 gives us no better chance of it being the next franchise guy.  It seems that part of this discussion about college QBs stems from need. 

Does Love or Fields fit what Ballard/Reich want to do, or are they simply the best QBs we can draft because of our mediocre record?  If its the latter, that's a bad reason to draft them.  (Love probably fits given Ballard's interest)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

great post, i dont see any cant miss qbs in this draft, i dont get this forums love for love

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree at all.  I think a proven vet like Stafford or Ryan helps us win now.  Not saying they will come here or that they are even available.

I'm saying in this thread that taking a QB at 17 or 34 gives us no better chance of it being the next franchise guy.  It seems that part of this discussion about college QBs stems from need. 

Does Love or Fields fit what Ballard/Reich want to do, or are they simply the best QBs we can draft because of our mediocre record?  If its the latter, that's a bad reason to draft them.  (Love probably fits given Ballard's interest)

i agree 100 percent

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Can someone please tell me what’s special about Herbert. I see a lot of screen passes and no touch. Maybe I am watching the wrong videos.

I dont see a top 15 QB from Herbert

To me, you take someone who actually CAN (COULD) be, in this draft, where we will be picking..........  15ish.... That might be Love

I would think that Love would be available in the early 20s  

If we continue in our our "50/50 ways" 8 and 8 is probably our final record, we will end up at 16 to 18.....    I would trade back 3-5 spots to get another decent pick..... Love should still be on the board

This is a video of Utah state from last year when they played Michigan State. Love looks like he is in a NFL style offense and looks like a NFL player to me  BTW there is some footage of Khari Willis int in this video.  I guess I don’t see why a guy like Herbert would go before Love. It’s a pretty big difference to me in the style of offense they play.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a video of Utah state from last year when they played Michigan State. Love looks like he is in a NFL style offense and looks like a NFL player to me  BTW there is some footage of Khari Willis int in this video.  I guess I don’t see why a guy like Herbert would go before Love. It’s a pretty big difference to me in the style of offense they play.

Agreed. I don’t see the wow plays with Herbert. I just see the physical attributes. He doesn’t pop when you put on the tape. Even in the championship game against Utah, he was just okay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. I don’t see the wow plays with Herbert. I just see the physical attributes. He doesn’t pop when you put on the tape. Even in the championship game against Utah, he was just okay.

Jordan Love's footwork reminds me of the Packers QBs, the way they are coached, the way he takes his snap. He does seem like a real good fit for the west coast type / EP scheme type of offenses and would fit in here real well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would trade back 3-5 spots to get another decent pick..... Love should still be on the board

I don't think you take a chance and try to play that game if you have identified a QB that you truly like. If anything you you move up a few spots to make sure you get your guy if there is any chance someone could jump you and steal them.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I dont see any scenario where we dont take a QB in rounds 1 or 2

If we take Jalen Hurts......  I wont be a happy camper

I don't care for Hurts, but I like him a whole lot more than Fromm.....

On 12/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, DougDew said:

Just like any position, and maybe even more so with the QB position, , you don't take a QB because you NEED one. 

It happens every single year.... 

On 12/6/2019 at 11:57 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yup, and yup.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:33 PM, DougDew said:

Fields is a true Soph. He won't be in the draft unless it's the XFL..

Perhaps Ballard like Love, and doesn't think he goes prior to our middle pick... Perhaps he's made a decision to take best available in the middle, and Love falls to our pick, and Ballard sees him as best available. You don't always have to go all in to get the guy you want early.

If Ballard wants to move up, he can package our first three picks (1R, 2R, 2R) and likely go up to #4 if he wants to. If Love is his guy, he likely doesn't need to go to #4. 

On 12/6/2019 at 5:25 PM, DEFENSE said:

great post, i dont see any cant miss qbs in this draft, i dont get this forums love for love

Burrow looks incredibly good. Herbert has been talked about for 2 years now. 

Love might have the highest ceiling of any QB this year, but also a lower floor than Burrow or Herbert. That's without even talking about Tua... Regardless, 4 pretty strong candidates.

On 12/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Can someone please tell me what’s special about Herbert. I see a lot of screen passes and no touch. Maybe I am watching the wrong videos.

Here's NFL.com's review of him recently.

They are basically describing a Reich O... 

Herbert is the new prototype at the position as a big, athletic QB1 with the ability to make plays as a passer and runner. He's an efficient distributor in a quick-rhythm offense that features screens, bubbles, seams, and verticals off misdirection. While there are a high volume of layups built into the Ducks' offense, Herbert is a deadly accurate passer on intermediate and deep routes inside or outside the numbers. He routinely makes pro throws with precision and flashes all of the tools that NFL coordinators covet in a QB1 (touch, timing, anticipation, and accuracy). Although Herbert still needs a little seasoning as a starter, he has all of the ingredients to be a franchise player at the position.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It will be just the colts luck that Love will decide to transfer and go back to school a year or will move up to the third QB taken and we we will miss out on him.

I mean, going to rejoin Yost at TX Tech might improve his stock a little, but he's likely to still get a first round grade this year. I just don't see him staying in college. But who knows.

3 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

1. QB

2. RB

3. Edge

4......Misc

You want to use our early second round pick on a RB?

Out of the 4 core units (Pass O, Rush O, Pass D, Rush D), rushing O is easily the best right now.

Give me DT, DE, OT, WR, etc after the 1st pick.

Based on unit performance, age, etc.

1. QB

2a. DT

or

2b. OT/OG

4. WR

5. DE

6. S

7. MLB

8. TE

9. CB

10. RB

• Like 2

I just didn’t see that stuff with Herbert and I did watch the entire game. I know they did talk once about him manipulating the defense with his eyes. The offense Oregon runs just doesn’t look like a pro offense. Maybe I need to go back and watch more videos.

So far the little I have watched of Love I have been most impressed with him. I see exactly why everyone is raving about him. I bet his draft stock rises at the combine and coaches get him in front of a whiteboard.

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You want to use our early second round pick on a RB?

Out of the 4 core units (Pass O, Rush O, Pass D, Rush D), rushing O is easily the best right now.

Give me DT, DE, OT, WR, etc after the 1st pick.

Based on unit performance, age, etc.

1. QB

2a. DT

or

2b. OT/OG

4. WR

5. DE

6. S

7. MLB

8. TE

9. CB

10. RB

I would prefer  not to wait until the 4th rd for a WR. We need to quit ignoring that position. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would prefer  not to wait until the 4th rd for a WR. We need to quit ignoring that position. 

We have not ignored the position. 

We took 2 mid and late 2018, one early last year, and also signed a FA for $10M.

This WR class is the deepest in while, and a good QB would love coming here with our OL, TEs,  and rushing unit, and would do just fine with TY, Campbell, Funch if he comes back, a new middle pick this year, and whomever from Rogers, Pascal, Fountain, Johnson, Dulin for depth. 

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We have not ignored the position. 

We took 2 mid and late 2018, one early last year, and also signed a FA for $10M.

This WR class is the deepest in while, and a good QB would love coming here with our OL, TEs,  and rushing unit, and would do just fine with TY, Campbell, Funch if he comes back, a new middle pick this year, and whomever from Rogers, Pascal, Fountain, Johnson, Dulin for depth. 

We need to do just like we did last year. At least by the second round. I guess I didn’t mean ignore. Just mean we need to be looking for some studs and not late round.

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We need to do just like we did last year. At least by the second round. I guess I didn’t mean ignore. Just mean we need to be looking for some studs and not late round.

With the depth of this WR class, a 3rd or 4th this year is almost like a 2nd last year. 

We have plenty of talent. A potential TY/Funch/Campbell starting three could be as good as any 1-2-3 WR unit in the league with a capable QB. 

On 12/6/2019 at 10:59 AM, DougDew said:

they could easily be better than him long term, may not take long either he isnt that special  himself

be ready for the texans to win the division every year if we keep Jacoby

I’m thoroughly in the third camp, and I arrived at the same late QB.  My current mock tries to use day 1 & 2 to address the three biggest needs IMO: another premium WR option, a 2nd NT option to platoon with Grover (so Ballard can realize his goal of having 8 starters on the DL), and OL depth (man, we’ve been fortunate this year in that area.)

1) Alex Leatherwood, OL, Alabama (pushing RG Glowinski to the bench, hopefully)

2) DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama

2) Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

3) Hakeem Adeniji, OT, Kansas

4) Bryce Sterk, DE, Montana St.

5) Julian Blackmon, DB, Utah

6) Mitchell Wilcox, TE, South Florida

6) McTelvin Agim, DT, Arkansas

7) Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

With the depth of this WR class, a 3rd or 4th this year is almost like a 2nd last year. 

We have plenty of talent. A potential TY/Funch/Campbell starting three could be as good as any 1-2-3 WR unit in the league with a capable QB. 

Maybe. Just because there's a lot of talent at WR in this draft doesn't mean they will be there in the 4th/5th round. I'm sure there's gonna be several runs on WR on Day 1/2, once teams see a couple of these guys start falling off the board, teams will make their move. 6 will be gone on the 1st day probably...Juedy, Lamb, Shenault, Ruggs, Reagor, and Higgins. I don't wanna wait and get a Tier 3 guy late, we need playmakers at WR bad, I'd only put the need for a QB ahead of it honestly. DT/OL is close but with the 4 picks on Day 1/2, we should be able to get most of that squared away. Plus, they will likely sign at least 2 bigger free agents. 

With TY, Parris Campbell, the resigned Doyle, I think a guy like Higgins or Shenault would be the best move. A much better version of what we were trying to get in Funchess, and at a percentage point of the cost on a rookie deal. I honestly wouldn't be surprised for them to double dip at WR based on the strength of the class, get a speedy guy like Reagor or Ruggs if they fall into the 2nd, or I'd personally love to grab Devonta Smith from Bama with one of our 2ends, he gets overshadowed by Jeudy/Ruggs, but that dude is a stud. Get a QB, 2 wideouts, and either a DT/OL and sign the other in FA, and I feel like we're set for 2020.

I prefer the first one because we don’t have a franchise QB. Brissett is a good game manager, but this team needs a QB that can consistently push the ball down the field.  Here is my mock draft.

1. Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

2. Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma 

2. DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama 

3. Matt Bushman, TE, BYU

4. Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia 

5.  Trevon Hill, DE,  Miami 

The rest of the draft BPA and for depth.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Maybe. Just because there's a lot of talent at WR in this draft doesn't mean they will be there in the 4th/5th round. I'm sure there's gonna be several runs on WR on Day 1/2, once teams see a couple of these guys start falling off the board, teams will make their move. 6 will be gone on the 1st day probably...Juedy, Lamb, Shenault, Ruggs, Reagor, and Higgins. I don't wanna wait and get a Tier 3 guy late, we need playmakers at WR bad, I'd only put the need for a QB ahead of it honestly. DT/OL is close but with the 4 picks on Day 1/2, we should be able to get most of that squared away. Plus, they will likely sign at least 2 bigger free agents. 

With TY, Parris Campbell, the resigned Doyle, I think a guy like Higgins or Shenault would be the best move. A much better version of what we were trying to get in Funchess, and at a percentage point of the cost on a rookie deal. I honestly wouldn't be surprised for them to double dip at WR based on the strength of the class, get a speedy guy like Reagor or Ruggs if they fall into the 2nd, or I'd personally love to grab Devonta Smith from Bama with one of our 2ends, he gets overshadowed by Jeudy/Ruggs, but that dude is a stud. Get a QB, 2 wideouts, and either a DT/OL and sign the other in FA, and I feel like we're set for 2020.

We've ignored DT for too long. We've got to find either a rush DT or legit DE this year. If not, we're going to be a sorry DL if/when Houston leaves. We're also dangerously thin at OT. Clark is horrible and would crash any offense we have if AC or Smith went down. In other words, we can survive easily with 3rd round WR, while the other areas may not.

If you looked at the depth of the WR class, there are really at least 20 guys that could be legit. Some of the big names taken early are products of system and incredible talent around them, meaning they're likely inflated. Not saying they will bust, but if they go to a mediocre team, or somewhere with a mediocre QB, probably won't look so hot. WR does have the highest bust rate of all positions in the first. Historically, after the 1st round, rounds 2-4 have similar average value over the first five years. Doesn't really drop off a bunch till the 5th.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

I want a WR in the first 2 rounds too. The value will be great. This class is special and IMO it will be such a waste if we didn't come out of this draft with a premier receiver. I think you can probably get a really good WR in the second round too. 

Agreed. With the way the season is going tho we should have 3 picks inside the first 45 or so, maybe better if they keep losing. It will be interesting to see the order they use the picks, although I'm sure it'll be BPA. 

So after this weeks game. Even though I believe in JB, I can’t help but think we go for a QB with the 1st pick. I redid the mock draft through draft network and tried to make it believable.  It is below. 

1. Jordan Love- QB

2. Tee Higgins-WR

3. Jared Pinkney- TE

4. Best Available DL

5. Best available CB

6. Kalija Lipscomb- WR

7.  Michael Pittman Jr- WR

8. Rakeem Boyd- RB

9. OL