Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Procedure Calls on Sunday

Barry Sears

I was confused by the two illegal procedure calls against Brissett on Sunday.  Was it because he was clapping his hands too long?  I know quarterbacks will clap their hands to get the center to snap the ball, but he did do it continuously for several seconds.  I hope we fix this issue with getting the ball snapped, especially on the road with loud crowds.

3 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I was confused by the two illegal procedure calls against Brissett on Sunday.  Was it because he was clapping his hands too long?  I know quarterbacks will clap their hands to get the center to snap the ball, but he did do it continuously for several seconds.  I hope we fix this issue with getting the ball snapped, especially on the road with loud crowds.

Section 4, Article 2 of the 2019 rulebook is vague when describing what qualifies as a false start.

“Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start,” it reads.

The NFL rule book being vague? ....that's new! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Section 4, Article 2 of the 2019 rulebook is vague when describing what qualifies as a false start.

“Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start,” it reads.

The NFL rule book being vague? ....that's new! 

So, if you casually bring your hands together but they don't make any sound, you should be OK.

56 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I thought it was odd too.  The explanation I had heard before the start of the regular season was that clapping was okay as long as the snap came right after the last clap.  In other words, you couldn't clap twice have a pause and then clap again, which sometimes happens in college.

8 minutes ago, Archer said:

Those were both nonsense and costly.  Announcers didn’t discuss it for some reason, but I’ve only seen the simulating-the-snap call when he flinches or winces in a sudden kind of way.  Those were bad calls...

I don't think they knew.  QBs have clapped forever in loud times. I'd like to hear the league explain it

20 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

I mentioned to someone in a previous thread that the QB can no longer stand back and clap his hands or do any extra movement to draw a defense offsides. 

Aaron Rodgers was hit for this during the Bears game. It’s something that will take a while to catch on. 

Set aside how stupid it is. It's being called inconsistently, and that's a huge problem. Sunday night, on the game-winning TD to Julio Jones, Matt Ryan did the same clap before the snap.

On JB's first penalty, the Colts were late getting lined up. Mack subbed himself out kind of slowly, Reich didn't see it because he was calling the play, and then there was a little bit of confusion getting the new back in, and they might have changed the play as well. So now the play clock is running out and JB is begging for Kelly to snap the ball before they get hit with a delay of game. That's totally avoidable, but still, the penalty is petty.

On the second, JB saw the Titans' defense misaligned, and was again begging for the snap. The broadcasters tried to say the play clock was expiring, but it wasn't; they had seven seconds left. It was simply JB trying to get Kelly to snap the ball so he could exploit a defensive mistake. Instead, they called him for a bogus false start, again.

My understanding of the intent of the rule is so that QBs can't use the hand clap as a hard count. College QBs do that, and that's what they called Kyler Murray for in the preseason. What JB did is entirely different.

Edit: I was wrong about the first penalty. All that junk did happen, but they called a timeout. Then they came out of the timeout and ran out of time again, leading to the penalty. Still avoidable, the offense has to be sharper than that, but the penalty was still petty, at best.

Edited by Superman

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Set aside how stupid it is. It's being called inconsistently, and that's a huge problem. Sunday night, on the game-winning TD to Julio Jones, Matt Ryan did the same clap before the snap.

On JB's first penalty, the Colts were late getting lined up. Mack subbed himself out kind of slowly, Reich didn't see it because he was calling the play, and then there was a little bit of confusion getting the new back in, and they might have changed the play as well. So now the play clock is running out and JB is begging for Kelly to snap the ball before they get hit with a delay of game. That's totally avoidable, but still, the penalty is petty.

On the second, JB saw the Titans' defense misaligned, and was again begging for the snap. The broadcasters tried to say the play clock was expiring, but it wasn't; they had seven seconds left. It was simply JB trying to get Kelly to snap the ball so he could exploit a defensive mistake. Instead, they called him for a bogus false start, again.

My understanding of the intent of the rule is so that QBs can't use the hand clap as a hard count. College QBs do that, and that's what they called Kyler Murray for in the preseason. What JB did is entirely different.

What I can say is, the officiating this season has been inconsistent at best. Some of the worst I can remember in recent years. Even college football is having problems with refs missing holds/PI/etc.