Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
King Colt

Gronk Claims He Has Had 20 Consussions

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rob-gronkowski-claims-damage-from-head-injuries-is-fixable/ar-AAHfT7U?ocid=spartandhp

Yet he said he would let his kid play football, because he would "educate him on what I went through" because injuries are "fixable."

It was that word that came up again, but it was in reference to head injuries.

Chris Nowinski, the co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, tweeted at the former New England Patriots tight end and pointed out that CTE - the brain disease that can be caused by repeated head injuries - "cannot be fixed."

Just now, King Colt said:

I believe Luck has too. I have been posting on here, I wouldn't doubt that Luck has early signs of CTE. There is more to Luck's retirement than people know IMO. Luck in interviews recently seemed to talk slowly at times, stutter at times, I noticed it last season. My step-dad pointed it out to me for 2 years actually. Strange decisions like early retirement could mean anything. If someone doesn't feel right then it is time retire. It is all opinion, no facts but I would guess in Luck's 1st 4 seasons he probably had a lot of concussions that were over looked.

19 minutes ago, King Colt said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/rob-gronkowski-claims-damage-from-head-injuries-is-fixable/ar-AAHfT7U?ocid=spartandhp

Yet he said he would let his kid play football, because he would "educate him on what I went through" because injuries are "fixable."

Chris Nowinski, the co-founder and CEO of the Concussion Legacy Foundation, tweeted at the former New England Patriots tight end and pointed out that CTE - the brain disease that can be caused by repeated head injuries - "cannot be fixed."

Clearly one too many.

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

You let your kids do what they want as far ar extra curricular activities.  Not that it's relevant,   I got both knees wiped out in one play in high school.  I would never discourage my son from playing ball

• Like 1

You know what's worse than getting injured doing something fun? 

Not doing something you love for fear of being hurt.

It's one thing if you do something and suffer from injuries, and then decide to stop.

But to never experience it is sad, and I will never agree with people who think it's the right thing to do. It's always sad when someone suffers from an unfortunate injury, but it's a part of life. Driving a car is far more dangerous, but we do it everyday.

3 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

It's one thing if you do something and suffer from injuries, and then decide to stop.

But to never experience it is sad, and I will never agree with people who think it's the right thing to do. It's always sad when someone suffers from an unfortunate injury, but it's a part of life. Driving a car is far more dangerous, but we do it everyday.

I don't know.  I'm kinda torn on this.

On one hand, I really wanted to play organized football growing up, and part of me still wishes I had.  I love the game.  I had a lot of fun playing football with the other guys in my neighborhood and I was pretty good, but my mom wouldn't let me sign up for actual football.

On the other hand, I'm kind of thankful I didn't put my body through organized football.  One of my friends played middle linebacker, and by our senior year, his body was in shambles.  Knees, shoulders, back, arms, legs, fingers, you name it, he broke it.  And he told me stories about what happened at the bottom of some of those pileups when everyone was trying to get the ball.  Twisting ankles, poking eyes, biting, kicking, anything to injure an opponent and make them unable to continue playing... and on top of all that, there's concussions.  Football can do real permanent damage.

I'm glad to have made it to my age with no concussions or broken bones.  And I can always live vicariously through my favorite football teams, while still being able to walk, function mentally, and play with the grandkids when I'm old.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

On one hand, I really wanted to play organized football growing up, and part of me still wishes I had.  I love the game.  I had a lot of fun playing football with the other guys in my neighborhood and I was pretty good, but my mom wouldn't let me sign up for actual football.

On the other hand, I'm kind of thankful I didn't put my body through organized football.  One of my friends played middle linebacker, and by our senior year, his body was in shambles.  Knees, shoulders, back, arms, legs, fingers, you name it, he broke it.  And he told me stories about what happened at the bottom of some of those pileups when everyone was trying to get the ball.  Twisting ankles, poking eyes, biting, kicking, anything to injure an opponent and make them unable to continue playing... and on top of all that, there's concussions.  Football can do real permanent damage.

I'm glad to have made it to my age with no concussions or broken bones.  And I can always live vicariously through my favorite football teams, while still being able to walk, function mentally, and play with the grandkids when I'm old.

The risks are definitely there. But it's been so overblown.

I played from the time I was 12 until I went to college, 7 years. I walked on, made the team and decided to focus on wrestling instead. I have ZERO health problems from either sport and there isn't a single guy I know of that I played with that suffers due to playing football. But we all have so many great memories and skills we acquired from the game.

I think most cases are guys who made it all the way to the NFL and wound up playing 20+ years of football, which is far too much. And even then, most guys who play just leave with minor stuff you can get from a number of other acitvities.

Even with all we have learned about this stuff most of these guys would do it all over again if they could.

EDIT: When I say not one guy I played with has serious injuries, I'm not really talking about knee issues and stuff I consider to be minor.....I'm talking serious injuries, paralysis, CTE, etc

• Like 2

I'm an old school guy, grew up in a dictator foreign country as a kid, used to seeing military police shoot and bayonet people in-person, not just reading about it in history books or on NBC nightly news.

Unless I'm dismembered or foaming at the mouth full of blood, I'm not injured.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I believe the number.  A lot of DBs lead with the head, and it's easier to ring the bell of a guy like Gronk than it is to bring him down with a proper tackle, especially when you're a relatively diminutive cornerback or safety.  

We'd all be surprised how often receivers and members of the secondary get little "stingers" to the head and neck, or "get their bell rung" on plays that actually result in small concussions and then because the symptoms aren't obvious they get ignored.

7 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I'm an old school guy, grew up in a dictator foreign country as a kid, used to seeing military police shoot and bayonet people in-person, not just reading about it in history books or on NBC nightly news.

6A26DAE6-B295-435B-B13F-9F51E1AB0DBD.jpeg

• Haha 2

Three things strike me as odd. First, to think a long time player thinks his concussions are "fixable" is incredible. Second, was Gronk mentioned when all the concussion discussions were top on the news? I don't recall his name being mentioned, maybe it was. Last, did the Pats know he has had twenty concussions?  This smells all wrong.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:05 AM, rock8591 said:

You mean that players that roll around on the field with pain and have three trainers come out to massage a cramp aren't hurt?

On 9/13/2019 at 11:05 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

This is my issue.  Even if you take out the head injury stuff you see people all the time who live with old football injuries from freaking high school.   That simply isn't true for other sports.  You don't run into too many people who are still dealing with pain from injuries playing basketball or baseball or tennis or golf or swimming or track and field.  But it's beyond common for adults to be walking around still in pain from an injury they suffered in high school football.  

On 9/13/2019 at 10:48 PM, GoatBeard said:

The issue isn't the fear of getting hurt part, you can get hurt playing any sport.  The issue is that the injuries from football can often linger for life.  And I'm not just talking about head injuries, but back and joint injuries as well.  

Break a bone you get it put in a cast and it will heal.  Not worried about that.  More worried about my kid walking around at my age (37) in constant lifetime pain because of a sport I let him play 20 years ago. 

On 9/13/2019 at 7:49 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I believe Luck has too. I have been posting on here, I wouldn't doubt that Luck has early signs of CTE. There is more to Luck's retirement than people know IMO. Luck in interviews recently seemed to talk slowly at times, stutter at times, I noticed it last season. My step-dad pointed it out to me for 2 years actually. Strange decisions like early retirement could mean anything. If someone doesn't feel right then it is time retire. It is all opinion, no facts but I would guess in Luck's 1st 4 seasons he probably had a lot of concussions that were over looked.

The only thing is that while it seems likely that Luck has CTE, I'm pretty sure they don't have any medical certainty as to the symptoms of CTE yet.  They only diagnose it from looking the brain after death and it looks different from a normal brain.  But they havn't figured out any symptoms yet that they can relate specifically to the CTE.  

They have had guys who where still mentally sharp up til death show up with pretty severe CTE.