Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AC talks contract extension

44 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Dont see any other options. Its not like we have anyone currently on the roster that can replace AC. 

Right there are no other options. Teams don’t trade their superstar left tackles and it’s not like you can just get one in the draft and they will be good right away.  This o line would take a huge step back if he wasn’t extrnddd. O lineman age well in the nfl. They can play well into this mid thirties. I think it will get done once they get back to camp.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Right there are no other options. Teams don’t trade their superstar left tackles and it’s not like you can just get one in the draft and they will be good right away.  This o line would take a huge step back if he wasn’t extrnddd. O lineman age well in the nfl. They can play well into this mid thirties. I think it will get done once they get back to camp.

Agreed. There may be one or two elite left tackles per draft, and most aren't NFL ready lineman like a Quenton Nelson. We also probably won't have a high enough pick to take an elite one in the 1st round. Best to extend Constanzo and draft his successor in the 2nd round next year IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

O lineman age well in the nfl. They can play well into this mid thirties. 

Left tackles don’t age that well.  I’m an AC fan but they definitely have to prepare for his level of play to start waning soon.  

Check out this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2017/2/27/14724674/age-wall-for-offensive-tackles-nfl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Left tackles don’t age that well.  I’m an AC fan but they definitely have to prepare for his level of play to start waning soon.  

Check out this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2017/2/27/14724674/age-wall-for-offensive-tackles-nfl

WE actually need to find a competent backup that can take over when he retires.

• Like 1

I will begin with I’m glad the Colts went on their winning streak and made the playoffs. You play to win and never tank...ever. However, I was hoping we had one more year of picking in the top 15 so we could grab another tackle and really have our core of linemen for the remainder of Lucks career. AC is a starting caliber tackle but the drop off behind him is drastic.  

Same happened with Grigson and Pagano, they had immediate success as they were turning the worst roster in the league over.  They never were able to have that 3yrs of higher draft picks and whiffed on the ones they chose or traded for bc well, Grigson wasn’t that good at evaluating players and neither was Pagano at developing them. 

8 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I will begin with I’m glad the Colts went on their winning streak and made the playoffs. You play to win and never tank...ever. However, I was hoping we had one more year of picking in the top 15 so we could grab another tackle and really have our core of linemen for the remainder of Lucks career. AC is a starting caliber tackle but the drop off behind him is drastic.  

Same happened with Grigson and Pagano, they had immediate success as they were turning the worst roster in the league over.  They never were able to have that 3yrs of higher draft picks and whiffed on the ones they chose or traded for bc well, Grigson wasn’t that good at evaluating players and neither was Pagano at developing them. 

Look at it this way. If the draft picks really pan out  from this past draft we are going to be stacked. We will have a lot of draft picks in the next couple of years to move way up to get that tackle. As stacked as we seem to be right now we won’t need that many draft picks in the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, egg said:

Tarick Glenn played 10 years and retired at 30.

I'm not opposed to re-signing AC. But I'm more concerned about finding his replacement sooner than later. 

I'm not that concerned right now.  I really expect us to resign him.  That said I can see us taking a LT early this year.  Costanzo was a late first rounder, I believe, and I think he started right away.  He fell and Polian was thrilled when he was there for us.  Every year is different but if he resigns I wouldn't be surprised to see us use a 2nd rounder.  There is also FA and trade opportunities might develop.   Many ways to find an eventual replacement.  Hopefully we resign him and he can anchor that left side and we can win a couple of SB's. with him there.  

7 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

They never were able to have that 3yrs of higher draft picks and whiffed on the ones they chose or traded 

True but they lacked long term success because of the second thing, not the first.

I'm confident Ballard and Reich will be a championship calibre team without another top 10 pick. Look at the way they already accumulate draft picks in the top 2 rounds with their trade backs. 

54 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

True but they lacked long term success because of the second thing, not the first.

I'm confident Ballard and Reich will be a championship calibre team without another top 10 pick. Look at the way they already accumulate draft picks in the top 2 rounds with their trade backs. 

Thats the key to sustained success. Hopefully your team can keep choosing players that fit their system and adapt as times and players change.  I believe we do have that in place.  In a couple years it should be a well oiled machine and legitimate SB contenders. 

On 7/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, egg said:

Tarick Glenn played 10 years and retired at 30.

I'm not opposed to re-signing AC. But I'm more concerned about finding his replacement sooner than later. 

Glenn said he was getting tired of football and wanted to purse other things.  he could have kept going 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Glenn said he was getting tired of football and wanted to purse other things.  he could have kept going 

Regardless ANY NFL player who isn't a QB, Kicker or Punter you have to start thinking about replacements when they hit 30.  

We should probably give AC a short term extension, 2 or 3 years.  But the idea is that he will hold down the fort til we can draft a quality a replacement and develop him to step into the role.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Here's a nice read on Anthony "Benjamin Button" Castonzo... https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/05/16/indianapolis-colts-anthony-castonzo-rusty-jones-andrew-whitworth-jason-peters/1164815001/ --- sounds like Rusty Jones really helped him last off-season by getting him to work on some hip imbalances and strengthening some muscles to support his knees, hamstrings and chest which had been bother Castonzo in the past.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:21 PM, Fluke_33 said:

Check out this article:

Good info.

Sounds like a 2 or maybe 3 year extension is as far as we should pay for AC.... and hopefully land a solid LT prospect along the way. 

• Like 1

First of all, I just hope he stays healthy this year. He's at an age where all the wear and tear over the years can start to catch up. I definitely want him back assuming he can stay healthy and is reasonable (which I think he likely will be). 

Second, we absolutely need to start planning ahead. We have draft capital if we needed to move up and take a LT in the middle of the first. We also have the money to chase a FA. Hope that's not the case, but we have the ability to do something if we had to.

Hopefully, AC will stay healthy for a few more years, he gets extended, and we nail a LT in the draft late 1st or 2nd in 2020 that can develop into a young stud to be Qs running mate for years to come.