Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible NFL Lockout in 2021 NFLPA says

danlhart87

26 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Smart of the NFLPA to remind agents.

The problem is so many recently drafted, later round rookie contract players are not making enough money to hold out a full season.  And some items (Franchise tag) affect so very few players, etc...

Medically, I'd like the owners to give in to Rx MJ over opioids without asking for too much in return.  As it is, players only get tested for it once between April and June.  Pass that and you are clear to partake the rest of the year unscathed.  But if a player is in the drug program, they can be tested all season- that's where the Rx part comes in IMHO.

I'm sure as we get closer we'll see where owners / players stand on various issues.

34 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The problem is so many recently drafted, later round rookie contract players are not making enough money to hold out a full season.  And some items (Franchise tag) affect so very few players, etc...

Respectfully, I disagree.  Mr. Irrelevant's contract last year was $2.48 mil over 4 years with a $69K signing bonus.  Even without exceptional financial decisions, that's plenty of money for them if the entire season is lost.  At the end of the day, the fans and stadium employees get the short end of the stick.  I have 0 sympathy for the league or for the players in this case.  I also think that for all the criticism that he gets, Goodell is much more flexible than DeMaurice Smith, who seems very reluctant to compromise on anything.

All this must be music to Vince McMahon's ears.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  Mr. Irrelevant's contract last year was $2.48 mil over 4 years with a $69K signing bonus.  Even without exceptional financial decisions, that's plenty of money for them if the entire season is lost. 

Yes, but two things to add.  The player doesn't get all that money up front.  Jackson Barton is slated to get 495k this year, and 19.9k in bonus if he makes the 53 man roster.  If there was a lockout this upcoming season, he doesn't get anything and there's no paycheck coming in.  In 2020, he will make 585k +19.9k and must subtract Federal and state income tax from that, then his living expenses + create savings for the (potential) lockout in 2021 where he would have made 675k, +19.9k bonus.

So the guys drafted in 2021 are caught completely out. Other near rookies are pinched.  And what about the players that didn't make the 53, but are on the practice squad making as little as $129,200 per year before taxes etc. ?  That's why these players are being told to save and spend little/prudently until the new CBA is done.  Them and the 'big spenders'.

At the end of the day, the fans and stadium employees get the short end of the stick.  I have 0 sympathy for the league or for the players in this case.  I also think that for all the criticism that he gets, Goodell is much more flexible than DeMaurice Smith, who seems very reluctant to compromise on anything.

What is that saying again...

'You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate?'

At some point the sides have to have give and take and other times meet in the middle.

All this must be music to Vince McMahon's ears.

No question.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, but two things to add.  The player doesn't get all that money up front.  Jackson Barton is slated to get 495k this year, and 19.9k in bonus if he makes the 53 man roster.  If there was a lockout this upcoming season, he doesn't get anything and there's no paycheck coming in.  In 2020, he will make 585k +19.9k and must subtract Federal and state income tax from that, then his living expenses + create savings for the (potential) lockout in 2021 where he would have made 675k, +19.9k bonus.

So the guys drafted in 2021 are caught completely out. Other near rookies are pinched.  And what about the players that didn't make the 53, but are on the practice squad making as little as $129,200 per year before taxes etc. ?  That's why these players are being told to save and spend little/prudently until the new CBA is done.  Them and the 'big spenders'.

Agree with you on the guys drafted that year, and even the undrafted rookies, who get caught in the middle.  However, let's not lose sight of the big picture.  Most of these guys would be making 6 figures a year, even after taxes.  That's significantly more than what most people in America make.  I feel worse for the stadium employees who get minimum wage than the athletes who make 6 figures a year.  These guys need only to manage their money decently and they'll be just fine without football for a year, if it does come to that.

At some point the sides have to have give and take and other times meet in the middle.

Agreed.  I just feel like the NFLPA, or specifically DeMaurice Smith, is more determined on refusing anything the league/owners say and is very difficult to work with.  I certainly hope it doesn't come to a work stoppage, but I will have 0 sympathy for the players or owners if it does come to that.

Never would happen...but I wish there was a % limitation, per each team, between the highest and the lowest salary. It would shift the wages.

BTW, comparing the lowest paid NFL player and a stadium employee is quite incomparable. There are so many factors that are completely different. 

• Like 1

I would be surprised if this actually happened. Call me naive but I believe we live in a different world than we did during the last strike. Alot of these young players have different values and ideas than their predecessors. Being a star, performing on game day and putting it on social media to get instant measurable validation is a big part of their lives. A year long strike with nothing to do but complain about it isn't going to fill the hole and followers will tune out. My opinion only.