Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cowboys extend Demarcus Lawerence

CR91

Latest numbers reported by ESPN....    5/105.    21 Mill per.

http://tv5.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26450912/cowboys-lawrence-agree-105m-deal

65 Mill guaranteed.     And remember,  he, like a number of other good pass rushers,  was not a 1st round draft pick.    Sometimes,  it just works out that way.

Like Justin Houston....    that's another example.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 10:05 PM, NewColtsFan said:

like a number of other good pass rushers,  was not a 1st round draft pick.

Right. 

All your draft picks are expected to perform, no matter what round taken.  Once you are on the team, you are expected to be the best (you can be). Forget 'your grade' or your draft round selection.  Unless you feel overlooked and have a chip on your shoulder that motivates you...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Right. 

All your draft picks are expected to perform, no matter what round taken.  Once you are on the team, you are expected to be the best (you can be). Forget 'your grade' or your draft round selection.  Unless you feel overlooked and have a chip on your shoulder that motivates you...

Yes....    I only made a point to note that he wasn't a first round pick because I've noticed a small rash of posts this draft season that basically amount to......

If we can't get a good pass rusher in the first round,  then we're not going to get one in this draft.

That you can't get one after the first round in most any draft.    

I was trying to note that this is basically not true.   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....    I only made a point to note that he wasn't a first round pick because I've noticed a small rash of posts this draft season that basically amount to......

If we can't get a good pass rusher in the first round,  then we're not going to get one in this draft.

I've also noticed a number of fans with the mentality that you can only get good players from the first wave of free agency or the first round of the draft.

In reality, most pro-bowl and all-pro players started out as unknowns who became great because they were "home-grown" by the team that drafted them in round 2 or later, or even started as an UDFA and played their tail off for the team that took a chance on them.

And I believe Ballard has been preaching "home-growing" a great team since day 1.  He will probably find his own Demarcus Lawrence, Antonio Brown, and LeVeon Bell types and "home-grow" them without having to overpay.  :rock:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'll let Robert Mathis know this, next time I talk with him,....lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Man Cowboys have some big contracts coming up.  Good luck with that. They r going to b paying elite money for very good players.   

Their STUPID!

They are trying to buy a Super Bowl by using their draft capital(Cooper) and cap money(Lawrence) for playmakers.

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Their STUPID!

They are trying to buy a Super Bowl by using their draft capital(Cooper) and cap money(Lawrence) for playmakers.

I believe their entire starting defense is completely home-grown.

And most of their offense too, except for WR, which was their biggest need at the beginning of  last season.

They aren't "buying" anything.  Whatever they win, it will be because they drafted and re-signed their own players, like Ballard is preaching.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

They aren't "buying" anything.  Whatever they win, it will be because they drafted and re-signed their own players, like Ballard is preaching.

Exactly. And when the right opportunity presents itself, you take a swing.

I'm still not over the moon about the Cooper trade. He played well for them last year, but they gave up a first in a draft that has a lot of good receiver talent. And he's about to be a free agent, so they accelerated their timeline to an extent.

But still, their approach has mostly been to draft, pay their own, supplement in free agency and trades. One high profile move doesn't change that.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:35 PM, csmopar said:

65 percent guaranteed?!?!? Holy crap these contracts are nuts this year 

Simple, basic structure. I don't like the low cap hit in 2019, but it's kind of necessary with their cap constraints. It balances out quickly, with modest cap increases in the final two seasons, at which point the guaranteed money is paid out and there will be a new CBA and most likely a higher cap.

I think they did a really good job. Both sides.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I believe their entire starting defense is completely home-grown.

And most of their offense too, except for WR, which was their biggest need at the beginning of  last season.

I was being SARCASTIC. 

Of course it's a good thing when a organization is willing to spend some of it's resources to try and win a SB.

Most on this board laughed at Jerry for trading away a #1 pick for Cooper. I didn't. I applauded the move. Why wait until the 2019 draft to use your #1 pick on drafting a rookie WR when you can spend it on a proven one in the middle of season and he can help you win immediately and in future....which he did.

Signing or Resigning a playmaking pass rusher is a no brainer. Atleast not for teams that are trying to win now.

• Like 1

Cowboys aren't in cap hell due to going out and 'buying' players.  They just have a ton of resources in their offensive line, and Defensive front 7.

This is the exact same thing Ballard is trying to do.  Only, I hope he is able to work finances a little better over the long term stretch. He has cap room ATM he can use to help with that, by extending certain players this year and next.