Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IndyD4U 5 Rounder Mock

I rarely do these, but they're fun. Pretty happy with this one so figured I'd post it.

R1: Pick 26 Christian Wilkins DL Clemson

R2: Pick 34 Taylor Rapp S Washington

R2: Pick 59 JoeJuan Williams CB Vanderbilt

R3: Pick 89 Austin Bryant Edge Clemson

R4: Pick 129 Keelan Doss WR UC-Davis

R4: Pick 135 Elijah Holyfield RB Georgia

R5: Pick 164 Nate Davis G Charlotte

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

wilkins eww so uninspiring 

You don't like dominant Defensive linemen?

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like it. Are you still okay with Holyfield after his 40?

I think he'd be a great compliment to Mack/Hines. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like it. Are you still okay with Holyfield after his 40?

To follow up. I think we'd use him as a north/south between the tackles type runner. The kid has great vision in traffic. He's too slow to get to the edge in the NFL

16 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

You don't like dominant Defensive linemen?

i believe he’ll just be okay at the nfl level not worth my 1st pick but i also believe DT is a overrated position any way. how many plays to you recall Aaron Donald’s name get called en the super bowl. The Defense lacks speed. Wilkins  imo opinion isn’t a game changer. A player “not seen as, as good” now could be developed instead of wasting a premium pick on serviceable talent. long story short.

He’s okay. Dominant? lol we define the term differently 

• Like 1

This is a very good draft.

I am high on Keelan Doss, just as you are and he would probably be the best Day 3 WR we can get that can play outside and give us route running and size albeit without the ceiling of physicality and/or explosiveness we might get from potential Day 2 wide outs.

This might require one FA pass rusher signed, or for Turay to come along real strong in year 2, which most of us expect. We also have to hope Austin Bryant playing second fiddle to other Clemson DL was a case of not having enough minutes. 

6 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

i believe he’ll just be okay at the nfl level not worth my 1st pick but i also believe DT is a overrated position any way. how many plays to you recall Aaron Donald’s name get called en the super bowl. The Defense lacks speed. Wilkins  imo opinion isn’t a game changer. A player “not seen as, as good” now could be developed instead of wasting a premium pick on serviceable talent. long story short.

What would be an "inspiring" 1st round pick?

6 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

He's a top 5 DL prospect in virtually everyone's pre-draft ranking....and he offered up one heck of an inside push in college. We need the presence on the interior of our DL.

7 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

He's a top 5 DL prospect in virtually everyone's pre-draft ranking....and he offered up one heck of an inside push in college. We need the presence on the interior of our DL.

idc about anyones pre draft rankings lol i’m not even here to challenge your ideology. i’m just stating my perspective. but i do see it as asinine to make a pick off of someone else’s perspective en regards to team building.

“There’s more than one way to skin a cat”

i perfer to harass the offense w waves of speed. just a centralized focal point of war on the entire offense. W edge rushers it forces. coordinators to get creative en blocking assignments am i gonna chip w a TE & RB, Keep the back en to block, Am i gonna quick hike the Defense. just puts more stress on the offense imo on the offense. 

not that your wrong i just feel my way covers more ground (literally)

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

What would be an "inspiring" 1st round pick?

26: R1P26

EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON

LOUISIANA TECH

34: R2P2

WR DK METCALF

OLE MISS

*Clearly most likely won’t be here but i’m not opposed to Hakeem, Parris, or N’Keal here.

59: R2P27

EDGE DEANDRE WALKER

GEORGIA

*Always seems to have a good rusher that’s underrated

89: R3P25

LB VOSEAN JOSEPH

FLORIDA

*Walkers Good but Voseean could be better

129: R4P27

EDGE PORTER GUSTIN

USC

*Love this dude he just knows how to play

135: R4P33

EDGE JALEN JELKS

OREGON

* lowkey could be better than a lot of draftees but that’s my opinion 

3 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON

LOUISIANA TECH

WR DK METCALF

OLE MISS

EDGE DEANDRE WALKER

GEORGIA

LB VOSEAN JOSEPH

FLORIDA

EDGE PORTER GUSTIN

USC

EDGE JALEN JELKS

ewww uninspiring

13 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

idc about anyones pre draft rankings lol i’m not even here to challenge your ideology. i’m just stating my perspective. but i do see it as asinine to make a pick off of someone else’s perspective en regards to team building.

“There’s more than one way to skin a cat”

i perfer to harass the offense w waves of speed. just a centralized focal point of war on the entire offense. W edge rushers it forces. coordinators to get creative en blocking assignments am i gonna chip w a TE & RB, Keep the back en to block, Am i gonna quick hike the Defense. just puts more stress on the offense imo on the offense. 

not that your wrong i just feel my way covers more ground (literally)

No offense taken that you have a different approach. 

I drafted a DL in the 1st because he was the best pick for our team needs. I like to image a nasty DL that commands double teams freeing up our LBer's.

We need edge, no doubt, and I think we look at FA along with the draft.

52 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON

LOUISIANA TECH

WR DK METCALF

OLE MISS

*Clearly most likely won’t be here but i’m not opposed to Hakeem, Parris, or N’Keal here.

EDGE DEANDRE WALKER

GEORGIA

LB VOSEAN JOSEPH

FLORIDA

EDGE PORTER GUSTIN

USC

EDGE JALEN JELKS

OREGON

I understand everyone has their own thoughts on drafting and how to run a D.  But how do you incorporate 4 more DEs with the 5 already on the roster?  That is 9 DEs, if you rotate them all during the game you end up causing more harm then help because none of the players have a chance to get into the flow of the game.

Plus this D is going to be open to pounding the ball between the tackles.  I like the idea of speed on D but this draft is either going to negate some of last years draft or not allow any of the dline to shine.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I understand everyone has their own thoughts on drafting and how to run a D.  But how do you incorporate 4 more DEs with the 5 already on the roster?  That is 9 DEs, if you rotate them all during the game you end up causing more harm then help because none of the players have a chance to get into the flow of the game.

Plus this D is going to be open to pounding the ball between the tackles.  I like the idea of speed on D but this draft is either going to negate some of last years draft or not allow any of the dline to shine.

i just view them as lottery tickets.

outside of sheard who’ll probably be gone and doesnt line up w the future of the defense.

Sheard Hunt Lewis rotate inside. i just don’t see a DT as this huge void to pick one the 1st round. a serviceable DT is good enough. 

as as i see the teams needs from my POV is 

- WR

- Edge (speed)

- DT bc if lack of bodies 

- CB *not really a issue due to scheme 

- maybe Safety but not pressing our shell isn’t exotic to need a lot from out secondary 

1 hour ago, MFT5 said:

EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON

LOUISIANA TECH

WR DK METCALF

OLE MISS

EDGE DEANDRE WALKER

GEORGIA

LB VOSEAN JOSEPH

FLORIDA

EDGE PORTER GUSTIN

USC

EDGE JALEN JELKS

OREGON

Question, have you seen the combine? Only because if you think that DK Metcalf is gonna last till the second round when many have him as the 1 or 2 best WR in the draft, especially being 6'3", after running in the 4.3s at 220 LBS+, you have to think again. Just my opinion and Guess what, I HOPE YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT! lol 

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Question, have you seen the combine? Only because if you think that DK Metcalf is gonna last till the second round when many have him as the 1 or 2 best WR in the draft, especially being 6'3", after running in the 4.3s at 220 LBS+, you have to think again. Just my opinion and Guess what, I HOPE YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT! lol 

just used the mock draft site someone else posted. I be prolly won’t be there but just chose a receiver to show i’m cool w one being selected there. 

*See the star star under the selection 

5 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

If it wasn't for the fact that Gruden has 3 1st round picks, I would think there is a chance Metcalf falls to the 2nd.  Yes he's big and fast but he is very limited in his route tree, he is not good in and out of his breaks, there are just holes in his game, but I am betting Gruden grabs him with his 2nd first rounder.

5 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

just used the mock draft site someone else posted. I be prolly won’t be there but just chose a receiver to show i’m cool w one being selected there. 

*See the star star under the selection 

Ohhh got it. But com' on. thats like saying Bosa will be available at #26. lol DK Metcalf wont make it to #26, let alone 2nd round. jmo. But thanks for being original.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If it wasn't for the fact that Gruden has 3 1st round picks, I would think there is a chance Metcalf falls to the 2nd.  Yes he's big and fast but he is very limited in his route tree, he is not good in and out of his breaks, there are just holes in his game, but I am betting Gruden grabs him with his 2nd first rounder.

true i might actually prefer Hakeem n’keal or parris over DK

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

I havent watched Hakeem. I know that his 40 wasnt track speed but, How is his game? Is he #26 good? lets talk.

depends on whose there and his potential i truly have a hard time not picking him there due to how the board falls. He’s legit 6’5” 225 and is improving. only reason i pass is bc if a good defensive player is there now i can probably get a receiver w one of the 2nd rounders 

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Wilkins and Rapp with our first two picks would be awesome. 

hmmmm. Rapp would give us the most bang for the buck if there in the second, Hopefully he could fall as Hooker did for us. But im not sure he makes it till 2nd round..Or maybe....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

hmmmm. Rapp would give us the most bang for the buck if there in the second, Hopefully he could fall as Hooker did for us. But im not sure he makes it till 2nd round..Or maybe....

Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if Rapp was there too. The picks are gonna get really interesting in the mid/late 1st.

1 hour ago, MFT5 said:

EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON

LOUISIANA TECH

WR DK METCALF

OLE MISS

EDGE DEANDRE WALKER

GEORGIA

LB VOSEAN JOSEPH

FLORIDA

EDGE PORTER GUSTIN

USC

EDGE JALEN JELKS

OREGON

No thanks. 

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

No thanks. 

whats your preferences? keep in mind this is a mock draft and i just took who fit my ideologies on team construction. use that draft site that guy posted or any site you perfer and watch how the board falls. post your results

14 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

whats your preferences? keep in mind this is a mock draft and i just took who fit my ideologies on team construction. use that draft site that guy posted or any site you perfer and watch how the board falls. post your results

Wilkins will go at least 15 picks before Ferguson as he is a much better prospect. No way we will take 4 edge rushers in the first 6 picks. Sorry but not a good draft at all in my opinion. I guess I will be deemed worthless also Coffeedrinker.

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Wilkins will go at least 15 picks before Ferguson as he is a much better prospect. No way we will take 4 edge rushers in the first 6 picks. Sorry but not a good draft at all in my opinion.

he’s a much better prospect based on what? 

Bc you’ve been told or because you like his skillset and what he brings to the Colts. if you chose the latter know, that’s all Ballard cares about and is also inline to how any team should build “Their Board”

2 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

he’s a much better prospect based on what? 

Bc you’ve been told or because you like his skillset and what he brings to the Colts. if you chose the latter know, that’s all Ballard cares about and is also inline to how any team should build “Their Board”

His ability.

21 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Wilkins will go at least 15 picks before Ferguson as he is a much better prospect. No way we will take 4 edge rushers in the first 6 picks. Sorry but not a good draft at all in my opinion.

and that’s fine  but to say he is a much better prospect is subjective and we won’t take 4 edges is understandable i also did another 

26 Deandre Baker 

34 Hakeem Butler

59 D’andre Walker 

89 Tre Lamar

129 Porter Gustin 

135 Darnell Savage Jr

point is the board varies by what on the board and your ability to maneuver w what’s there 

13 hours ago, MFT5 said:

I am not sure why you would think DT, especially the 3 tech is an over rated position for this D.

The Tampa 2 or Cover 2 D relies heavily on both DT's.  The defense is set up to allow for a big dominate NT to occupy the center and RG which allows the UT and the RDE to basically have one on one battles.   Think of guys like John Randle, Warren Sapp, LaRoi Glover, Tommy Harris.  Even Justin Tuck played some UT.  That is where the pressure comes from.   Randle had 9 straight seasons with double digit sacks, Glover had an 18 sack season.  Sapp is much more recent and is dominance goes without saying.  As far as the NT, the years that we were a dominate D was when we had Corey Simon and afterward Booger.  Which is the yr we won the SB.  But both of those yrs having a dominate NT is one huge reason why.

Although I do believe we may have the guy in Lewis as the UT. If a top 3Tech is there at one of our picks we need to take him. We probably do need to address NT. for sure.  

In the front 7 the only position we dont need to upgrade is WSLB ,but the need is in RDE and 3 tech.   Then SS . then MLB then LDE then NT.

Just my thoughts.  This is really the only D I have somewhat of an understanding of.  I'm not coaching material or anything, but I kinda get it. 

And without Aaron Donald, the DPOY , the Rams don't sniff the SB.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

I am not sure why you would think DT, especially the 3 tech is an over rated position for this D.

The Tampa 2 or Cover 2 D relies heavily on both DT's.  The defense is set up to allow for a big dominate NT to occupy the center and RG which allows the UT and the RDE to basically have one on one battles.   Think of guys like John Randle, Warren Sapp, LaRoi Glover, Tommy Harris.  Even Justin Tuck played some UT.  That is where the pressure comes from.   Randle had 9 straight seasons with double digit sacks, Glover had an 18 sack season.  Sapp is much more recent and is dominance goes without saying.  As far as the NT, the years that we were a dominate D was when we had Corey Simon and afterward Booger.  Which is the yr we won the SB.  But both of those yrs having a dominate NT is one huge reason why.

Although I do believe we may have the guy in Lewis as the UT. If a top 3Tech is there at one of our picks we need to take him. We probably do need to address NT. for sure.  

In the front 7 the only position we dont need to upgrade is WSLB ,but the need is in RDE and 3 tech.   Then SS . then MLB then LDE then NT.

Just my thoughts.  This is really the only D I have somewhat of an understanding of.  I'm not coaching material or anything, but I kinda get it. 

And without Aaron Donald, the DPOY , the Rams don't sniff the SB.

i know football enough to not have to right a novel about it. don’t get all soft about that either, that’s just too much to read for a forum “How To” but i did just too see your point and your point is DT specifically the nose is an important piece OF the defense. i’m not saying it isn’t. i’m just spending my premium capital on speed. i’d rather have 2 280-290 lb trim athletes than a 310+ lb slow clogger en the middle of my defense.

I’m telling you there’s more than one archetype of d lineman that fit en a tampa 2. and i’m saying i’m not willing to spend a 1st round pick to find that player given the talent level of our defense and our general lack of speed. Wilkins is just okay imo and not worth my 1st. 

Wilkins isn’t special. Why would i draft him when i can develop a player w similar build to do his job.

To say the the rams wouldn’t get to the super bowl w out Aaron Donald is asinine. They wouldn’t have got there w out goff either or any player they went to that super bowl w. That’s just a statement that can blindly be made. He’s been on the team his entire career.  Maybe suh, Mcvay, Wade Phillips, Peters, Talib, Cj, Cooks, Woods etc. are the reasons they went to the SB.  

& truthfully they shouldn’t have been en the SB. also you can run cover two out of any defense, it’s a shell/philosophy.