Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Barr Likely to Hit Free Agency

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

hes a 3-4 olb

would probably cost too much for a questionable scheme fit

According to the article he was in college, but - "and though he converted to a 4-3 ‘backer when he came to the Vikings, his pass rushing abilities have not left him. "

7 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

According to the article he was in college, but - "and though he converted to a 4-3 ‘backer when he came to the Vikings, his pass rushing abilities have not left him. "

where do you think he would fit here?  i dont see him as a cover 2 mlb.  that leaves him competing with DL for the will spot.  he could maybe play the third LB spot, but we dont use that enough to bring in a high priced free agent 

they could consider DE too, i think hes a good player but i dont know where to put him 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

where do you think he would fit here?  i dont see him as a cover 2 mlb.  that leaves him competing with DL for the will spot.  he could maybe play the third LB spot, but we dont use that enough to bring in a high priced free agent 

they could consider DE too, i think hes a good player but i dont know where to put him 

Honestly, I don't know where he would fit exactly.  I don't understand defensive schemes like you guys do, I just see a LB who can rush the passer and is effective in blitzing.  I'm sure he will cost a lot of $...was just putting it out there.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Honestly, I don't know where he would fit exactly.  I don't understand defensive schemes like you guys do, I just see a LB who can rush the passer and is effective in blitzing.  I'm sure he will cost a lot of $...was just putting it out there.

Thanks for your feedback!

i wondered about him too when i heard he was available.  its definitely worth bringing up, but its not clear where we could put him 

On 2/20/2019 at 7:57 AM, aaron11 said:

i wondered about him too when i heard he was available.  its definitely worth bringing up, but its not clear where we could put him 

Hed be a player wed have to move around situationally. Play the SAM OLB, play a little DE in pass rush situations, even a bit at MLB potentially. 

He hasnt been great in coverage, but hes better than average for a 4-3 DE, so there is also potential to line him up at DE and drop him into coverage on a zone blitz play. 

It all comes down to how much he wants, but I have a feeling the number Ballard has on him will be lower than he wants. 

The Vikings play a 4-3 defense,  and Barr plays OLB for them.    So, he's a 4-3 OLB,  not a 3-4.

But....

He's not going to be our Will -- that's Leonards job....

And I don't think he's a Mike -- that's for Walker.

Would he be the Sam?     Doubtful,  because (A)  I don't know if that's his spot,  and (B)  even if it is,  we don't use that player very much so I'd have to believe Ballard is not going to offer much $$$ for whoever he might want to fill that spot.    

That said....

Barr might decide that at 6-5 and 255, he could put his hand in the dirt and be a 4-3 DE.    Would Ballard have interest in him on that level?     I think maybe.   Might be worth investigating.    So, I'm not sure this is an open and shut case either way,   either position.    But I think it's worth exploring.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Vikings play a 4-3 defense,  and Barr plays OLB for them.    So, he's a 4-3 OLB,  not a 3-4.

he made a name for himself playing 3-4 olb at ucla, and its probably his most ideal fit.  now the vikings dont think hes worth bringing back in their scheme, but to be fair they are short on cap space

• Like 1