Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Edge Rushers

21 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

I'd be OK with either of the Smiths.  They will still command a heft price, as you say, but are solid players with upside.

I think Preston Smith fits the Ballard type signing to a 'T". I think he was a bit misused in the 3-4 and can be even better as a full time DE in a 4-3. I expect him to be the main Pass Rush target for the Colts provided none of the top guys make it to FA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

How many 3 tech should we have?

I always want to get better, but we have Autry and Lewis was drafted as a 3 tech

At DE, we are much thinner.

Puke.

I want Sapp, which is why I don't care for the Lewis pick.  He should get no playing time once we draft the guy we actually need.  Or he's a pure backup.  Autry is fine, since he's the vet who fills the need in the new D until we draft the Sapp.  I'm assuming that'll come this year at 26 or 34 since its a deep draft.

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Puke.

I want Sapp, which is why I don't care for the Lewis pick.  He should get no playing time once we draft the guy we actually need.  Or he's a pure backup.  Autry is fine, since he's the vet who fills the need in the new D until we draft the Sapp.  I'm assuming that'll come this year at 26 or 34 since its a deep draft.

You're not going to find a Warren Sapp at pick 26 or 34. You might not even find an Autry.

21 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

You're not going to find a Warren Sapp at pick 26 or 34. You might not even find an Autry.

Well, then we're screwed for going deep into the playoffs.  

Maybe not Sapp, but we can do better than Autry and Lewis at DT in this draft.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, then we're screwed for going deep into the playoffs.  

Maybe not Sapp, but we can do better than Autry and Lewis at DT in this draft.

I think Ballard needs to do what he can to try and obtain Christian Wilkins. He's a little old at 23 right now, but he's still good for 10 years for us. After that we can go BPA.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Ballard needs to do what he can to try and obtain Christian Wilkins. He's a little old at 23 right now, but he's still good for 10 years for us. After that we can go BPA.

The problem with a 23 year old college player is that he may have been a better player simply because his body was more mature than the 20 - 22 year olds he played against.  He simply had an inherent advantage that will catch up with him when he turns about 25 years old.  Maybe.

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

Not sure how to respond to the "puke" comment.....

I ALSO want a Sapp.......  but I dont see one at 26.

Q. Williams, is the lone "Sapp" type player that I see in this draft

Since you are using the TB SB team.....

This team also doesnt have a Simeon Rice (DE), Shelton Quarles (MLB), or a John Lynch (SS)

type player

If we walk out with the DE piece at 26, I will be happy 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Not sure how to respond to the "puke" comment.....

I ALSO want a Sapp.......  but I dont see one at 26.

Q. Williams, is the lone "Sapp" type player that I see in this draft

Since you are using the TB SB team.....

This team also doesnt have a Simeon Rice (DE), Shelton Quarles (MLB), or a John Lynch (SS)

type player

If we walk out with the DE piece at 26, I will be happy 

I'm just thinking that you can't have a Dline consisting of nothing but rotational one-trick ponies.  When the pass rushers are in, Brady will run the ball.  When the fat guys are in, Brady will pass it. 

You need at least one Dlineman who has to be accounted for in both aspects of the game on all three downs.

Hmmmm, maybe we should have tried to get that important piece of the 43 zone when we were picking 6 and 15 instead getting all sloppy over a G and a one-trick FS.

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm just thinking that you can't have a Dline consisting of nothing but rotational one-trick ponies.  When the pass rushers are in, Brady will run the ball.  When the fat guys are in, Brady will pass it. 

You need at least one Dlineman who has to be accounted for in both aspects of the game on all three downs.

Hmmmm, maybe we should have tried to get that important piece of the 43 zone when we were picking 6 and 15 instead getting all sloppy over a G and a one-trick FS.

Who were the Sapp-like DTs that were available when the Colts picked in 2018 and 2017?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Guard wasnt my first choice last year, but anytime that you can get an ALL pro, generational player ....... You have to be excited about it (It has proven to be the right decision)

He will only improve

I still have high hopes for our FS. He should be getting that elite speed back this year (hopefully)

and pairing that with even a small improvement in pass rush, we should start to see some additional turnovers

12 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I think Preston Smith fits the Ballard type signing to a 'T". I think he was a bit misused in the 3-4 and can be even better as a full time DE in a 4-3. I expect him to be the main Pass Rush target for the Colts provided none of the top guys make it to FA.

The more I look at it I am starting to agree that Preston Smith makes sense as well.  Although I think that was a 3-4 defense he was playing in at Miss. State.  I could be wrong but if I'm not then I will say I don't think he was being mis-used.   I do think he's Ballards type though.  And the best thing I like is he's from where I grew up.  I used to live about 10 minutes away from his high school in Stone Mountain, Ga.

A scientific evaluation of Preston Smith

Preston Smith is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. That’s not an opinion, that’s science talking.

According to data gathered by the NFL via Next Gen Stats, the Redskins’ outside linebacker had a higher pass rush pressure rate than anyone in the NFL in 2017.

That’s right. A higher pressure rate than Von Miller, Demarcus Lawrence, Aaron Donald, Everson Griffen, or whatever other pass rushers you want to name.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-its-science-preston-smith-one-nfls-top-pass-rushers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I can see YOU grading the players and passing on your #1 graded player for your #20 because of Your/this washy perspective. Come on Doug Get a grip.
 Haeg would be your RG too i bet,  and Good your RT with that lousy thinking.
Sit back and watch the Grownups get it done. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The problem with a 23 year old college player is that he may have been a better player simply because his body was more mature than the 20 - 22 year olds he played against.  He simply had an inherent advantage that will catch up with him when he turns about 25 years old.  Maybe.

And the advantage of this older player is that he may/should be closer to plug and play than needing 2-3 years to get his mind and body ready for a lot of snaps.
 Whoever we add, his best years should be before age 30.
 If you draft a 20 year old what has he really proven? What is the miss rate? It will be years 3-4 before they are likely to be near their best. 

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Who were the Sapp-like DTs that were available when the Colts picked in 2018 and 2017?

I don't know, maybe none.  Instead of getting sloppy over who we got maybe we should have gotten sad over what we couldn't get, considering a Healthy Luck's winning record would push us out of the draft positional window we enjoyed.

But that's where the other guy's premise was taking it.  

My premise is that we can get the three down dlineman at 26 or 34 this year, so all is well.  I think the 3 tech is more important than the edge.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't know, maybe none.  Instead of getting sloppy over who we got maybe we should have gotten sad over what we couldn't get, considering a Healthy Luck's winning record would push us out of the draft positional window we enjoyed.

But that's where the other guy's premise was taking it.  

My premise is that we can get the three down 3dlineman at 26 or 34 this year, so all is well.

To the bolded, then your point is moot.

Why should anyone get sad over what the Colts couldn't get vs. what they did get?

The odds that the Colts get a Sapp-Like DT at pick 26 or 34 are very low. 

Just now, Cynjin said:

To the bolded, then your point is moot.

Why should anyone get sad over what the Colts couldn't get vs. what they did get?

The odds that the Colts get a Sapp-Like DT at pick 26 or 34 are very low. 

You don't even get my point, but that's understandable because you weren't a part of the conversation.

My point was about positional value.  And how ignoring it can catch up to you....unless you fall into (or know there is) a deep draft in the positions of higher value the next year.  

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

And the advantage of this older player is that he may/should be closer to plug and play than needing 2-3 years to get his mind and body ready for a lot of snaps.
 Whoever we add, his best years should be before age 30.
 If you draft a 20 year old what has he really proven? What is the miss rate? It will be years 3-4 before they are likely to be near their best. 

That's all true.  I was getting at the notion that Wilkins may simply be a great college player because he was more physically advanced than his competition, but will end up being just an average NFL player because his new peers are already mature.  Its just a year or two's difference, but some guys do physically mature faster than others.  Who knows, his age is probably irrelevant.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I can see YOU grading the players and passing on your #1 graded player for your #20 because of Your/this washy perspective. Come on Doug Get a grip.

Funny that you mention Good.  Now that Gug's is gone as our OL coach I wonder if Ballard would bring Good back as a backup.  He is a FA.  He has already beaten out Haag and Clark in the past when he's healthy.  Gug's was the reason he asked for his release.  Clark was inactive for the last four games too.  Interesting thought I think. 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

That's not even close to what I was talking about.