Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Different/less Emotional Perspective On Roster Moves

Mitch

I have seen a lot of negative posts about the recent roster moves/cuts and don't understand fully why. These players were great in their time with the Colts and I hope them the best in their future, but they were all necessary decisions/moves with all of these players on a steady decline in their careers.

The players we cut and explainations of why I believe it's the right decision:

Dallas Clark-Out of his prime and had tons of drops last year, I dunno if you got a chance to watch most of the games but I repeatedly saw Dallas dropping very catchable balls. Also Jacob Tamme fits our "rebuild" he's younger and has more potential. Dallas looked great with Peyton throwing to him, but who doesn't?

Gary Brackett-Old, out of his prime and was injured for most of last season(played in 1 game this year). We have Pat Angerer who adapted into the MLB position great and is one of my favorite players. Angerer lead the NFL in tackles for most of the year(finished 4th overall). He has a lot of potential and I could see him being a defensive star very soon.

Joseph Addai- Out of his prime, hasn't shown much since his rookie year aka 06 SB year. Struggled with Injuries a lot too. Donald Brown showed up near the end of the season and showed more promise than I can ever remember. I hope he can continue to get better and shows up like a lot of fans expected. Delone Carter, our rookie RB last year showed potential also.

Curtis Painter- Lol

Melvin Bullitt-Hurt for most of last year and the year before, played in 6 games over the past 2 years. I loved watching Bullitt when he was on the field, but he gets hurt too often and too easily like Bob and we can't afford to pay a guy to sit on the bench every year.

Dwight Freeney(trade talks and speculation)-With Mathis signed, freeney isn't a need but would be a luxury. I would love to see the sack duo back together and stay together but I don't know if paying him makes sense for our "rebuilding". I've seen much more out of Mathis lately than Freeney, I would much rather keep Mathis.

Jeff Saturday-He has not been cut but I believe this is the next to come. He is near retirement age and there is no reason for the Colts to keep him. The Colts have also recently picked up a Free Agent center from TCU, Jake Kirkpatrick, received the Rimington Trophy(given to best center in the nation in college). I can see Saturday being considered in that package deal with Peyt haha.

Irsay is not turning his back or being too harse, this is a business. With cutting these guys we have freed up a lot of cap space and will be receiving more draft picks due to it, yes I understand they won't be that high of picks, but they are something. All of those players released have had injury problems as of lately and all are out of their prime, on the decline. To rebuild you need players that will get better, not get worse. We will have a very young team next year, but one that will grow together. I love the moves that Irsay/Grigs/Pags are making and hope fans don't take it too personal/emotional. Change is good, especially when the majority of our team was past the primes of their career(even Peyton). The Colts and the fans have been lucky to have a cast of veterans/players stick together for most of their careers with Peyt at lead and I will always remember these players for the success we had. We are moving to a new Era. Look forward to the future and cheer on your team through thick and thin, don't give up because of some offseason moves, it's the NFL, it happens every year.

Go Colts!

Pretty much agree with the OP. Frog is right about Freeney.

The only exception I have is Saturday. We need his experience on making line calls. It's going to be tough enough for Andrew to run a new offense without having to worry about the line too.

His dead cap space is $5MM.

His base salary is $14.035MM. The team needs to either:

a) extend him and bring his base salary for 2012 way down, or

b) trade him, or

c) cut him

As much as I like Freeney, I think at this point the best thing for the Colts and Freeney would be to trade him.

Well, my issues with all of these are:

1. We have NOTHING, NOTHING to show for those cuts. Get something for crying out loud, 4th or 5th or 6th rounders in return. Hopefully, they all arrive in the form of compensatory picks (crossing my fingers there).
  2. Cutting Manning was almost an easy out for those who were on the fence if they should restructure, IMO. Now, none of them are going to.
  3. Cap issues are overrated. In a relationship business, you try to keep player loyalty and relationships by biting the bullet a little bit to keep talent. Work the cap, dont run from it.

If I was Irsay I would have gotten all of our "aging" high salary cap vets in a room and told them the reason they were all there is because the future of this franchise and their ability to win superbowls in the next couple of years is entirely up to their decisions. I'd explain the cap issues and say in order for us to win now and draft good young talent we need people to restructure their contracts. I think with Manning leading the charge the others would follow and restructure.

Now, we dont have the vets for leadership, dont have additional draft picks to show for the cuts, and give me one good reason why free agents will come here to the Colts since we do not have enough draft picks to draft all our needs and HAVE TO resort to free agency. Yes, money, the same money that will get us back into the cap he-ll we cut our vets for, to get out of it. That is right. It is a vicious circle, the cap. Like I said, dont run from it, work it, and that is probably something Grigson will learn.

No, I am not panicking by any means but I definitely and firmly believe there were alternate ways to approach this.

1. We have NOTHING, NOTHING to show for those cuts. Get something for crying out loud, 4th or 5th or 6th rounders in return.
  2. Cutting Manning was almost an easy out for those who were on the fence if they should restructure, IMO. Now, none of them are going to.
  3. Cap issues are overrated. In a relationship business, you try to keep player loyalty and relationships by biting the bullet a little bit to keep talent. Work the cap, dont run from it.

If I was Irsay I would have gotten all of our "aging" high salary cap vets in a room and told them the reason they were all there is because the future of this franchise and their ability to win superbowls in the next couple of years is entirely up to their decisions. I'd explain the cap issues and say in order for us to win now and draft good young talent we need people to restructure their contracts. I think with Manning leading the charge the others would follow and restructure.

Now, we dont have the vets for leadership, dont have additional draft picks to show for the cuts, and give me one good reason why free agents will come here to the Colts since we do not have enough draft picks to draft all our needs and HAVE TO resort to free agency. Yes, money, the same money that will get us back into the cap he-ll we cut our vets for, to get out of it. That is right. It is a vicious circle, the cap. Like I said, dont run from it, work it, and that is probably something Grigson will learn.

No, I am not panicking by any means but I definitely and firmly believe there were alternate ways to approach this.

Well said. What you described was the Patriots/Steelers model. That's what we have to hope for now.

1. We have NOTHING, NOTHING to show for those cuts. Get something for crying out loud, 4th or 5th or 6th rounders in return. Hopefully, they all arrive in the form of compensatory picks (crossing my fingers there).

I first agreed with you on not receiving any compensation for these players, but I am sure if they had any trade value, Grigson would have received interest from other teams.

Now for each year, show us the turnover in the offensive line. Work it, baby!

I don't have to.

We can just wait until FA starts this upcoming week, and see if Addai is picked up with what terms and compare those terms to the terms of his former Colt contract from which he was cut. That way, the market will determine his true value, and see if he is either declining or ascending in his career.

Hard to take all the cuts/changes.Lots of decent guys losing jobs,hate to see em go.But,yes,do have to take a step back and be realistic/objective and realize yes they are nearing retirement.

Would just like to say thanks for all your contributions and good luck wherever you all may end up.

Ok, huge problem with this thought. D.Clark dropped a lot of balls, on this I agree (watched every game last year) but the QB throwing did not always make it easy to catch. However, I saw a lot of dropped balls last year. I understand wanting to get younger, but you do not want to bring in you so called franchise QB and have nothing for him to depend on. What is Tamme gets hurt, who will be the tight end? Clark is a huge weapon. so who will Luck throw to? you have Tamme, you have Austin Collie, but then who? Gonzales???? White???? I hate to say it because I am a huge BYU fan, but Collie is just one more head trama away from retirement, Gonzales has not played a meaningful down since he came into the league, white also spends a lot of time on the injured list. Your wide recievers corps, is a joke at this point, unless your going to spend some money and pick up some free agents, I see Luck throwing to himself next yeat.

As for D. Freeney, your defense is not that good as it is, we all saw that last year. The bright side however was the two D Ends, it brings fear into the hearts of QB's to know either one is a sack monster. At least keeping him would give you a strong nucleus on the line to start with and can build around. Without him your running on hopes that Mathis can make it through the year, have 15 sacks, and so on.

I understand you want to rebuild, but gutting your entire orginization is not the way to do it. You need your fans to believe in what your doing, you want perspective players to believe that they have some hope of winning soon or they will not want to play for the Colts. Seriously, what if Luck looked at the situation and said "you can draft me but I wont play for your team"? Then what will the Colts do? You just saved a ton of money by releasing Manning, Pierre G. is not resigning, Dallas Clark gone, Reggie Wayne GONE, Jeff Saturday most likely Gone, how much more do you need to be under the cap? are you planning on fielding a team next year?

Look at all the stars out there hoping Manning comes to their team, they want to play beside a future HOF QB, one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game, how many free agents are out there saying "SIGN ME< SIGN ME, to the colts? NONE. Give your self some hope

I don't have to.

We can just wait until FA starts this upcoming week, and see if Addai is picked up with what terms and compare those terms to the terms of his former Colt contract from which he was cut. That way, the market will determine his true value, and see if he is either declining or ascending in his career.

The Colts could have tried to rework his contract. I don't think Brown can carry a starter's work load and Carter needs hypnosis therapy for his fumbling.

Ok, huge problem with this thought. D.Clark dropped a lot of balls, on this I agree (watched every game last year) but the QB throwing did not always make it easy to catch. However, I saw a lot of dropped balls last year. I understand wanting to get younger, but you do not want to bring in you so called franchise QB and have nothing for him to depend on. What is Tamme gets hurt, who will be the tight end? Clark is a huge weapon. so who will Luck throw to? you have Tamme, you have Austin Collie, but then who? Gonzales???? White???? I hate to say it because I am a huge BYU fan, but Collie is just one more head trama away from retirement, Gonzales has not played a meaningful down since he came into the league, white also spends a lot of time on the injured list. Your wide recievers corps, is a joke at this point, unless your going to spend some money and pick up some free agents, I see Luck throwing to himself next yeat.

As for D. Freeney, your defense is not that good as it is, we all saw that last year. The bright side however was the two D Ends, it brings fear into the hearts of QB's to know either one is a sack monster. At least keeping him would give you a strong nucleus on the line to start with and can build around. Without him your running on hopes that Mathis can make it through the year, have 15 sacks, and so on.

I understand you want to rebuild, but gutting your entire orginization is not the way to do it. You need your fans to believe in what your doing, you want perspective players to believe that they have some hope of winning soon or they will not want to play for the Colts. Seriously, what if Luck looked at the situation and said "you can draft me but I wont play for your team"? Then what will the Colts do? You just saved a ton of money by releasing Manning, Pierre G. is not resigning, Dallas Clark gone, Reggie Wayne GONE, Jeff Saturday most likely Gone, how much more do you need to be under the cap? are you planning on fielding a team next year?

Look at all the stars out there hoping Manning comes to their team, they want to play beside a future HOF QB, one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game, how many free agents are out there saying "SIGN ME< SIGN ME, to the colts? NONE. Give your self some hope

Why not just wait and see what the Colts do in the draft and in free agency? The season don't start next week, there is plenty of time to fill out the roster, but you're NOLONGERACOLTSFAN so why do you even care?

I first agreed with you on not receiving any compensation for these players, but I am sure if they had any trade value, Grigson would have received interest from other teams.

I dont think trading them was entertained, from what I heard. Grigson merely stated they were cap casualties, he might have entertained the though of restructuring them but once Peyton was let go, we did shoot the incentive for people on the fence to restructure, IMO. It does not help when Irsay is publicly coming out and saying we are far away from contending, and thus it was best for Peyton to go somewhere else, IMO.

Yes, it could be the truth but it is a slap on the faces for people on the roster and in the player loyalty and relationship business, people remember those comments when it comes to re-signing a year or two from now. Hey, this guy just said we are not as worthy a couple of years ago. So, if I get the same money with another organization that I am getting with the Colts, I'd rather go play for some other organization. Any employer will tell you that people management is playing the cards right.

So, relying on compensatory picks would probably be our best bet.

When the Pats traded Seymour, Mike Vrable, Randy Moss, they got draft picks out of all those cases (1st round, 2nd round, and 3rd round respectively). Not saying we had folks that we could get the same kind for, but that is how they got all the draft picks that they could use to draft for their needs. What they did with it and how successfully they drafted is not relevant to this discussion, but the fact that they did not let all their vets go for nothing is the key point I am trying to make. Harrison and Bruschi retired but they did retain key pieces like Vince Wilfork who is 30 years old, and still playing well at a very high level. I just find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no value for them in the trade market, or no gas in their tank, that is all.

I dont think trading them was entertained, from what I heard. Grigson merely stated they were cap casualties. So, relying on compensatory picks would probably be our best bet.

When the Pats traded Seymour, Mike Vrable, Randy Moss, they got draft picks out of all those cases (1st round, 2nd round, and 3rd round respectively). Not saying we had folks that we could get the same kind for, but that is how they got all the draft picks that they could use to draft for their needs. What they did with it and how successfully they drafted is not relevant to this discussion, but the fact that they did not let all their vets go for nothing is the key point I am trying to make. Harrison and Bruschi retired but they did retain key pieces like Vince Wilfork who is 30 years old, and still playing well at a very high level. I just find it hard to believe that there is absolutely no value for them in the trade market, or no gas in their tank, that is all.

Im pretty sure you don't get compensatory picks for releasing players. They should get a couple if/when Wayne and Garcon sign elsewhere.

Im sure they put these guys out on the trading block before the chopping block.

Also putting loyalty over smart cap savvy moves is not a good way to run a team IMO.

None of the guys the OP mentioned had any true value except to us fans. Three of those guys have barely played in the last 2 seasons (Clark, Brackett and Bullitt), 1 of them is probably the worst player at his position in the NFL (Painter) and the only guy with real trade value has no agent and has to be willing to renegotiate with a new team (Freeney).

I would like to have seen Addai and Freeney stay but they cost a combined 23 million.

I still hope Freeney can be traded but I just dont think we'll get very much due to the contract issues.

Velocity has a lot to do with whether or not a ball is catchable. Face, Curtis "Spicoli" Painter was not half the QB good ol' Jack Trudeau was.

As far as the cuts go, Irsay said it best at Manning's press conference when he said, "We're two or three years away."

NFL-to-English translation = Get used to being at best a .500 team.

I agree. I don't believe any of the players cut on Friday had any trade value. They were only somewhat valuable to the Colts because they were system players in the old scheme and as pointed out - old, aging and past their prime. I can't think of any other team that would actually give up draft choices for those players when they probably could sign either for the league minimum going forward. I believe none of the cut players can/will play any significant role for another team.

Im sure they put these guys out on the trading block before the chopping block.

Also putting loyalty over smart cap savvy moves is not a good way to run a team IMO.

None of the guys the OP mentioned had any true value except to us fans. Three of those guys have barely played in the last 2 seasons (Clark, Brackett and Bullitt), 1 of them is probably the worst player at his position in the NFL (Painter) and the only guy with real trade value has no agent and has to be willing to renegotiate with a new team (Freeney).

I would like to have seen Addai and Freeney stay but they cost a combined 23 million.

I still hope Freeney can be traded but I just dont think we'll get very much due to the contract issues.

Don't you think the media would have caught wind of that? Come on, you can't get a 7th rounder for Addai? Unless the Colts presumed no team would bite with their salary and just dumped them. But that seems pretty lazy to me

Don't you think the media would have caught wind of that? Come on, you can't get a 7th rounder for Addai????

No I dont think the media would care that much and honestly I see it as a waste of time for the Colts because IMO none of the guys had any value.

With how devalued RBs are now days and the lack of production from Addai the past few years...no I doubt any team would give us anything.

No I dont think the media would care that much and honestly I see it as a waste of time for the Colts because IMO none of the guys had any value.

With how devalued RBs are now days and the lack of production from Addai the past few years...no I doubt any team would give us anything.

Well, I think Addai is more highly profiled than some give him credit to be. But I've been wrong before......

But not on this forum. haha

IMO Clark shouldnt have been let go ... he has another 3-4 prime years. Last year wasn't his best thats for sure, but he was injured and wasn't working with the best QB on the block.

Addai - running one play and taking himself out the last 3 years has been the norm - the cut was a good move. I agree Brackett is ready to retire, sucks for him that he had to get injured and sit out his last year. Saturday will likely retire too ... Freeney his days were numbered too, though I could see him playing another couple of years. Bullit and Painter will both likely get picked up and remain in the league for awhile.

Painter will both likely get picked up and remain in the league for awhile.

I feel sorry for whichever team Painter ends up on, we all saw what he could do. Bullitt will probably go somewhere though, just needs to stay healthy.

Clark didn't have the GOAT this year, but the drops I refer to were all open/well-passed balls. Granted it wasn't Peyt throwing but anyone in the NFL should've made those catches. The team was off last year, physically and mentally so I can't blame all him for those drops, but I don't think there is a huge advantage to keeping Clark, Tamme showed good things when he was on the field. Clark has had injuries past 2 years too, usually when injuries start, they keep coming, especially in a position like TE.

IMO Clark shouldnt have been let go ... he has another 3-4 prime years. Last year wasn't his best thats for sure, but he was injured and wasn't working with the best QB on the block.

Addai - running one play and taking himself out the last 3 years has been the norm - the cut was a good move. Bullit and Painter will both likely get picked up and remain in the league for awhile.

That is an exageration. Please show me where Addai's done this consistantlly for 3 yrs. Give me a youtube link, anything to prove this point.

I have full confidence in Curtis Painter. I'm going to file a petition to bring him back, sign him to a long term 6 year $103 million contract. Luck can sit and learn behind him for 6 years. Afterwards, Luck should be ready to roll. Or maybe, trade Luck to bring in a punter and fullback to give Painter some weapons. Also sign Desean Jackson and then immediately cut him. But MOST of all, bring Jim Caldwell back, sheesh what was Irsay thinking by releasing a future hall of fame coach.

I have full confidence in Curtis Painter. I'm going to file a petition to bring him back, sign him to a long term 6 year $103 million contract. Luck can sit and learn behind him for 6 years. Afterwards, Luck should be ready to roll. Or maybe, trade Luck to bring in a punter and fullback to give Painter some weapons. Also sign Desean Jackson and then immediately cut him. But MOST of all, bring Jim Caldwell back, sheesh what was Irsay thinking by releasing a future hall of fame coach.

You're plan is too good to be true...you are dreaming lol lmao

I have seen a lot of negative posts about the recent roster moves/cuts and don't understand fully why. These players were great in their time with the Colts and I hope them the best in their future, but they were all necessary decisions/moves with all of these players on a steady decline in their careers.

The players we cut and explainations of why I believe it's the right decision:

Dallas Clark-Out of his prime and had tons of drops last year, I dunno if you got a chance to watch most of the games but I repeatedly saw Dallas dropping very catchable balls. Also Jacob Tamme fits our "rebuild" he's younger and has more potential. Dallas looked great with Peyton throwing to him, but who doesn't?

Gary Brackett-Old, out of his prime and was injured for most of last season(played in 1 game this year). We have Pat Angerer who adapted into the MLB position great and is one of my favorite players. Angerer lead the NFL in tackles for most of the year(finished 4th overall). He has a lot of potential and I could see him being a defensive star very soon.

Joseph Addai- Out of his prime, hasn't shown much since his rookie year aka 06 SB year. Struggled with Injuries a lot too. Donald Brown showed up near the end of the season and showed more promise than I can ever remember. I hope he can continue to get better and shows up like a lot of fans expected. Delone Carter, our rookie RB last year showed potential also.

Curtis Painter- Lol

Melvin Bullitt-Hurt for most of last year and the year before, played in 6 games over the past 2 years. I loved watching Bullitt when he was on the field, but he gets hurt too often and too easily like Bob and we can't afford to pay a guy to sit on the bench every year.

Dwight Freeney(trade talks and speculation)-With Mathis signed, freeney isn't a need but would be a luxury. I would love to see the sack duo back together and stay together but I don't know if paying him makes sense for our "rebuilding". I've seen much more out of Mathis lately than Freeney, I would much rather keep Mathis.

Jeff Saturday-He has not been cut but I believe this is the next to come. He is near retirement age and there is no reason for the Colts to keep him. The Colts have also recently picked up a Free Agent center from TCU, Jake Kirkpatrick, received the Rimington Trophy(given to best center in the nation in college). I can see Saturday being considered in that package deal with Peyt haha.

Irsay is not turning his back or being too harse, this is a business. With cutting these guys we have freed up a lot of cap space and will be receiving more draft picks due to it, yes I understand they won't be that high of picks, but they are something. All of those players released have had injury problems as of lately and all are out of their prime, on the decline. To rebuild you need players that will get better, not get worse. We will have a very young team next year, but one that will grow together. I love the moves that Irsay/Grigs/Pags are making and hope fans don't take it too personal/emotional. Change is good, especially when the majority of our team was past the primes of their career(even Peyton). The Colts and the fans have been lucky to have a cast of veterans/players stick together for most of their careers with Peyt at lead and I will always remember these players for the success we had. We are moving to a new Era. Look forward to the future and cheer on your team through thick and thin, don't give up because of some offseason moves, it's the NFL, it happens every year.

Go Colts!

Jacob Tamme does not have more potential than Dallas Clark. He's small for a TE at 236 lbs. so that limits his effectiveness when it comes to blocking.

Painter's next gig will be at his local Home Depot. Saturday hinted at retirement 2 years ago, but I'm sure #18 talked him into staying. Addai is good but not 'special', hard to say because our O-line wasn't built to RUN. This team was built around #18. HE'S GONE, and I hate it!!!!!! Play with a lead and Freeney is NASTY. If moving him helps, DO IT! #44 was perfect for #18 and unsure how he'll do elsewhere, but I'd have liked to see him with us or on the block. We need the help. Brackett and Bullitt are cap casualties. I used to know our entire roster, where they went to school, how long they were ours, etc. I've got a lot of work to do in the off-season!! I've been a fan since birth, first live game in 1970. Hard times in the house that PEYTON built!! Go Colts!!

Why not keep Freeney? We still get dead cap space on the guy might as well have a player.

Having Freeney on the roster unless he agrees to rework the deal costs 19 million (more than Peyton was going to get this season just to give you an idea)

Cutting him or trading him costs us 5 million. You can do a lot of things with 14 million when you are rebuilding.