Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tonight's officiating crew.....

MacDee1975

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

People say that but it's not actually true.  There are several things that are called as a hold nearly all of the time.  Hanging on to defenders who are trying to pull away from you.  Pulling players down instead of pushing them down.  Holding them down once they are down. 

Same thing with PI.  

Having your arm around his shoulder.  Interfearing with his arms or hands before the ball gets there.  Most contact when you are clearly not trying to make a play on the ball.  (Not looking towards the ball.)

These things arn't simply random calls.  

Maybe we’re saying the same thing.  I challenge you to find pass plays where you don’t see holding. If you can get the All 22, it’s easy to do.  I know they can grab inside the pads somewhat in blocking, and the hold is when they pull a guy doing it.  But it happens on some level on every play.

Same with PI.  “The NFL has a long list of prohibited acts here, but again, they include just what you’d expect: any “contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch,” playing through a guy’s back, hooking his arm, cutting off his running path without playing the ball, pushing off him, etc.”. You see hooking and hand fighting on just about every defended pass route. Heck, if you played you know you’re coached on how to do it (I was, lol!).

My point was these things happen on just about every play, and it just bugs me the refs call them when they don’t really effect the play.   

11 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

They really need to have the refs look at what is holding and what is not. Taking a guy, driving him backwards, and putting him on his butt IS NOT holding. Q has gotten called numerous times as well for this and it's wiping out good plays/OL play.

I agree with you. The refs need instructed, if you don’t specifically see it, don’t call it. Just because the results look like it was probably a hold but you didn’t witness the hands inside the pads, do not call it. 

The same is is going to have to go for the defensive holding and PI calls. How many times do you see each guy running a pattern and getting caught up in hand fighting or a few grabs/shoves in the route or at the end only to each team hoping it doesn’t get called on their defense. It’s just randomly called imho. It doesn’t allow players to adjust to random calling of a penalty. 

• Thanks 1

Boehm pancakes his guy and gets a penalty flag, ridiculous.

It was a Sunday night game with playoff implications and the 

whole nation watching, they needed to keep the game close

so the tv sets stay tuned. Flags were flying against us to keep

the game close until the end and they had to flag make up calls.

The NFL is borderline ridiculous because of the officiating.

19 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

We did get away with one call late in the game when the Titans got called for unsportsmanlike conduct after their player reacted to a slap in the helmet from our guy.  Should have been on us, but most times it's the reaction the refs see and not the initial action.

Also helped that I think it was a DB trying to pick on an OL.  He got shoved in retaliation and went flying.  

But who knows that might have been his end game.  

But it was a bad call.  

34 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

We did get away with one call late in the game when the Titans got called for unsportsmanlike conduct after their player reacted to a slap in the helmet from our guy.  Should have been on us, but most times it's the reaction the refs see and not the initial action.

Yeah I couldn't believe we got that call when it was our player who started it. I guess the refs just caught the tail end of what happened. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

That trip call was about as bad as they come. I’d expect a tripping call to be very purposeful. Ours looked like he was just rolling over in the motion of the tackle he was involved in not a purposeful stick the leg way up and outward. Officials have become ten times worse it seems this season. If they were all consistent, it would be more tolerable to have the penalty called but it’s not from game to game, crew to crew or often, inside each game. Crazy. 

It has been very ridiculous all season long worst officiating I have seen since I started watching football.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It’s not that calls are egregious (not just our game, but throughout the league).  It’s when they’re called.  There’s holding by the Oline on just about every play.  If they called them all the game would never end and we’d have 0-0 ties.  

There’s pass interference on just about every play, both O and D.

What’s irritating to me is when they make a call that had no effect on the play.  

Someone said that the NFL is a billion dollar business with five and dime referees.  The only league with mostly part time refs.  Ridiculous.  

This came up during the last officials contract talks.  One of the sticking points was that the NFL wanted more full time officials but the officials union did not because a lot of NFL officials have high paying other jobs they do during the week and work NFL games on the side.  So I don’t think it’s a case of the NFL just trying to be cheap.

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This came up during the last officials contract talks.  One of the sticking points was that the NFL wanted more full time officials but the officials union did not because a lot of NFL officials have high paying other jobs they do during the week and work NFL games on the side.  So I don’t think it’s a case of the NFL just trying to be cheap.

Ultimately it is an NFL issues BECAUSE a majority of them are part time.  They’re not exactly high paid, comparatively.   They make an average of around $200k/year.

NFL players are elite, the number of guys that make it in the league from college is minuscule.  The league makes an astronomical amount of money.  In a perfect world, they would have elite professional officials, well paid, who work on their craft throughout the year because it’s their only job.  

I know now they claim they get something like 95% of the calls correct.  As I said, my beef is when they make a call like holding, for example, that happens on every play, when it doesn’t affect that play.  Just MHO.   

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Ultimately it is an NFL issues BECAUSE a majority of them are part time.  They’re not exactly high paid, comparatively.   They make an average of around $200k/year.

NFL players are elite, the number of guys that make it in the league from college is minuscule.  The league makes an astronomical amount of money.  In a perfect world, they would have elite professional officials, well paid, who work on their craft throughout the year because it’s their only job.  

I know now they claim they get something like 95% of the calls correct.  As I said, my beef is when they make a call like holding, for example, that happens on every play, when it doesn’t affect that play.  Just MHO.   

Again the NFL wanted to make more of them full time the officials union didn’t want it.  

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again the NFL wanted to make more of them full time the officials union didn’t want it.  

I get it.  That’s why I said “in a perfect world”.  

Right now I think about a fifth of them are permanent, the rest part time.  So maybe it’s trending that way with the union.  

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I get it.  That’s why I said “in a perfect world”.  

Right now I think about a fifth of them are permanent, the rest part time.  So maybe it’s trending that way with the union.  

Yeah that was a compromise.  I think the NFL wants permanent officials but the union doesn’t because most of their members don’t want to give up their fulltime jobs.

i watch college those officials are much worse than the NFL.  The NFL still for the most part have the best of what’s out there.  

I think what we are seeing is a bit of transition too.  In the past five years there have been a lot of good officials that have retired that have been doing games for years.  Guys like Mike Carey (yes I know he was bad on tv but he was really good on the field), Ed Hochuli, and, Gene Steratore (who IMO was the best official in the league.) 

It will take a while to overcome that.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Indy_Mike said:

To believe that Walt Anderson's crew did a good job, you have to believe that the Titans just started holding in the last 2 minutes of the game....I don't! 

The worst by the refs was the no call on holding in the endzone by the Titans.  When RS punted in down to the 3.  The titans did a play fake to Henry and hit a guy wide open down the field.  When they showed the replay, Hunt blew his guy up (like he does so many times) and the guard grabbed the back of his shoulder pads and pulled him backwards to the ground.  It was the type of holding that should be called.. at the point of attack and directly affects the outcome of the play.  Not only was it an obvious hold and clearly visible but when there is a holding penalty in the endzone it is also a safety.  So it should have been 2 more points for the Colts and the ball back.  But instead the refs wait until the game is in hand and a very little chance of a comeback (Titans down by 10 and Gabby throws an INT) before they start calling penalties on the Titans.

Most of the calls against the Colts I didn't have a problem with but there were a lot of non calls for the Titans that sure make it seem like the refs are told to try and alter the outcome.  At one point the Colts had 11 penalties for 91 yards and the Titans and 0 for 0.  That is just not possible if everything is being called equally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1