Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 Drafting a QB

4 hours ago, Alex22 said:

If we trade JB in the offseason, Ballard should look at a QB in the earlier rounds to develop and trade. 

It's a weak class so some QB talent should fall. 

You want to use an early draft pick to develop and trade?     You mentioned some QBs might fall...   so did you mean use a LATE pick to draft a QB?

Itherwise all the eRly and mid pucks will go to players who will play in 2019.   Same as what he did in 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You want to use an early draft pick to develop and trade?     You mentioned some QBs might fall...   so did you mean use a LATE pick to draft a QB?

Itherwise all the eRly and mid pucks will go to players who will play in 2019.   Same as what he did in 2018.

Well I mentioned earlier... so the round 2 3 & 4

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

This has been beat to death with trading Brissett. Please stop!

So we keep Brisset and let him walk in free agency? 

Ok

2 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Ok

For what it’s worth....

Superman notes we’d likely get a comp pick for JB.    But since he hasn’t played much it might be only a 5 or a 6.

6 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Ok

Players hit FA every year on all teams. You’re falling in line with a lot of poster who

A. Overvalue Brissett

B. Most likely believe the false trade request for Brissett involving the Seahawks (Never Happened) and has made people believe he’s going to be traded for a high draft pick in the off-season (He was not inquired about during Oct. trade deadline, but three QBs were)

C. Are relating the MLB trade deadline like it’s the NFL. Which it’s not.

D. Fail to realize, that if he leaves via FA, they should get a comp. pick (5-6)

Add all that up and we have a ton of silly mocks drafts coming from posters trading Brissett for draft picks this year. 

When he’s on the 2019 Colts roster, I’m going to say told you so! He’s a good backup nothing more IMO, but I rather role with an established backup than draft one next year.

• Like 1

Brissett hasn't played this year for obvious reasons.  He was a 3rd. rd pick who has proven he can play and lead a team.  That says a lot.  And his salary is also going to be a very attractive to a team.  Not to mention this years QB class is nothing to get excited about.  Why would you hold on to him when you could trade him this year for a pick or a player? To wait for a 5th or 6th comp pick?   That doesn't make sense.  Especially after the year we are having.  We can always sign a veteran backup.  I think we are going to trade him to help complete the rebuild.  And to point we shouldn't be drafting a QB for quite a few years.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Brissett hasn't played this year for obvious reasons.  He was a 3rd. rd pick who has proven he can play and lead a team.  That says a lot.  And his salary is also going to be a very attractive to a team.  Not to mention this years QB class is nothing to get excited about.  Why would you hold on to him when you could trade him this year for a pick or a player? To wait for a 5th or 6th comp pick?   That doesn't make sense.  Especially after the year we are having.  We can always sign a veteran backup.  I think we are going to trade him to help complete the rebuild.  And to point we shouldn't be drafting a QB for quite a few years.  

His salary is going to be attractive to a team, makes absolutely no sense. 

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

His salary is going to be attractive to a team, makes absolutely no sense. 

I think his salary is small so it's not like they are bringing on a higher priced QB to play or compete.  If it works out they have time to work out another contract.  If it doesn't they haven't invested a lot of money. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If you read my A, B and C it may apply to you! 

When he doesn’t suit up for the Colts in 2019,  I’ll start drinking the koolaid. 

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

Players hit FA every year on all teams. You’re falling in line with a lot of poster who

A. Overvalue Brissett

B. Most likely believe the false trade request for Brissett involving the Seahawks (Never Happened) and has made people believe he’s going to be traded for a high draft pick in the off-season (He was not inquired about during Oct. trade deadline, but three QBs were)

C. Are relating the MLB trade deadline like it’s the NFL. Which it’s not.

D. Fail to realize, that if he leaves via FA, they should get a comp. pick (5-6)

Add all that up and we have a ton of silly mocks drafts coming from posters trading Brissett for draft picks this year. 

When he’s on the 2019 Colts roster, I’m going to say told you so! He’s a good backup nothing more IMO, but I rather role with an established backup than draft one next year.

Did you wake up on wrong side of bed ?

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Is this your comeback? It’s weak.

You do seem a bit cranky on the topic

And........ there are 100 different topics floating and this particular one seems to really fire

you up.   

Just curious ...... why?

Who knows if they trade Brissett, this year........  I certainly don't

If they trade him, or dont trade him, I have NO stake in it........  I will sleep fine tonight

Initially, there were very few QBs of merit that were coming out.

As a supply and demand sort of thing..... you would think a QB with some skills and experience (Like Brissett) may actually be more valuable than normal to some teams with the high number of teams that desperately need a QB

I wasnt the only one that felt this

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/LongFormArticle/Giants-2018-Playoff-Picture-The-Path-to-Wildcard-Weekend-126180996

Early on, I hoped for a late 1 or a 2.......  I think with the QBs declaring like Haskins, the very best that we could get for the man..... today..... is a 3rd or even a 4th.

I would probably have to consider the trade for a 3rd..... a 4th?  Probably not

To answer the OP,  if we do trade Brissett, we should probably do a 5th or later development pick for a QB.   If we keep Brissett, I would STILL draft a QB to develop, but in the 6th.  (Or later)

Brissett is long gone after this year.... IMHO.... He is an unused talent, that will leave for free after next season... we will need a clipboard holder to develop....

Peace.........  Christmas season and all

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

And........ there are 100 different topics floating and this particular one seems to really fire

you up.   

Just curious ...... why?

Who knows if they trade Brissett, this year........  I certainly don't

If they trade him, or dont trade him, I have NO stake in it........  I will sleep fine tonight

Initially, there were very few QBs of merit that were coming out.

As a supply and demand sort of thing..... you would think a QB with some skills and experience (Like Brissett) may actually be more valuable than normal to some teams with the high number of teams that desperately need a QB

I wasnt the only one that felt this

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/LongFormArticle/Giants-2018-Playoff-Picture-The-Path-to-Wildcard-Weekend-126180996

Early on, I hoped for a late 1 or a 2.......  I think with the QBs declaring like Haskins, the very best that we could get for the man..... today..... is a 3rd or even a 4th.

I would probably have to consider the trade for a 3rd..... a 4th?  Probably not

To answer the OP,  if we do trade Brissett, we should probably do a 5th or later development pick for a QB.   If we keep Brissett, I would STILL draft a QB to develop, but in the 6th.  (Or later)

Brissett is long gone after this year.... IMHO.... He is an unused talent, that will leave for free after next season... we will need a clipboard holder to develop....

Peace.........  Christmas season and all

I guess if we trade him we still have Kaaya and Walker that have maybe developed a bit to back up Luck.

if we can get something good for JB no reason not to trade him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex22 said:

Did you wake up on wrong side of bed ?

I really agree with him.  There is a lot of over-valuation of Brissett on this board.  To hear it, many people seem to think that they could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Brissett.  

I think we would be lucky to get a 4th and I'm not sure we could get that.

If someone is offering a 3rd or even maybe a 4th or higher than I would say great, trade him.  But if not, lets keep him on the roster.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

you up.   

Just curious ...... why?

Wow, I’m truly speechless! Is this the best you and Alex have, after I provided some facts as to why he hasn’t/won’t be traded. 

LMAO!

Yes, Ive commented on a lot of the same redundant, trade JB threads and will continue to do so, until I read something that makes sense. So far, not so much!

Well, I thought JB played amazingly well last year considering the circumstances he faced. No training camp; no time to learn the playbook; terrible O-line play; etc. I tend to be on the side of those who believe many on this board UNDER-value his worth. He has started a full season and has talent. The upcoming draft is fairly weak at the QB position. The available FAs ain't much. Is it a genuine stretch to think a team might send a 2nd round pick to the Colts for our backup? I don't care if he was a 3rd round pick; Leonard was a 2nd round pick....does anyone believe that if there was a redo today that he wouldn't go in the top 15 picks in the 1st round? I don't. And Brissett would go higher as well. He's worth a 2nd rounder, and I think the Colts will get one for him. 

That said, I would prefer the Colts grab a vet to back up Luck if JB is traded. I want someone who can step in and win a few games if Andrew is injured vs. a youngster who needs a couple of years to figure it out. The time for drafting another QB is not 2019, IMO. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hoose said:

Well, I thought JB played amazingly well last year considering the circumstances he faced. No training camp; no time to learn the playbook; terrible O-line play; etc. I tend to be on the side of those who believe many on this board UNDER-value his worth. He has started a full season and has talent. The upcoming draft is fairly weak at the QB position. The available FAs ain't much. Is it a genuine stretch to think a team might send a 2nd round pick to the Colts for our backup? I don't care if he was a 3rd round pick; Leonard was a 2nd round pick....does anyone believe that if there was a redo today that he wouldn't go in the top 15 picks in the 1st round? I don't. And Brissett would go higher as well. He's worth a 2nd rounder, and I think the Colts will get one for him. 

That said, I would prefer the Colts grab a vet to back up Luck if JB is traded. I want someone who can step in and win a few games if Andrew is injured vs. a youngster who needs a couple of years to figure it out. The time for drafting another QB is not 2019, IMO. 

I agree Hoose. I think he will be gone and I think he will be in demand. Whatever happens there in no need to get bent out of shape if someone mentions this. It will be brought up many times in the future because he is a bargaining chip, like it or not.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MPStack said:

Wow, I’m truly speechless! Is this the best you and Alex have, after I provided some facts as to why he hasn’t/won’t be traded. 

LMAO!

Yes, Ive commented on a lot of the same redundant, trade JB threads and will continue to do so, until I read something that makes sense. So far, not so much!

I fact checked your response and unfortunately was unable to find any facts. 

26 minutes ago, Alex22 said:

I fact checked your response and unfortunately was unable to find any facts. 

http://nfltraderumors.co/colts-reportedly-turned-down-2nd-rd-pick-from-seahawks-for-qb-jacoby-brissett/

Here’s one, you happy now? 

Seattle has no 2019 or 2020 2nd Rd picks. Kinda, hard to believe the Colts were going to wait for a 2021 pick. 

That rumor has has planted a seed IMO, to some, that JB is going to net a 2nd. I beg to differ. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

http://nfltraderumors.co/colts-reportedly-turned-down-2nd-rd-pick-from-seahawks-for-qb-jacoby-brissett/

Seattle has no 2019 or 2020 2nd Rd picks. Kinda, hard to believe the Colts were going to wait for a 2021 pick. 

That rumor has has planted a seed IMO, to some, that JB is going to net a 2nd. I beg to differ. 

I think you forgot to include the other report that stated the Colts received multiple trade inquiries about Brissett near the deadline but they stated they were not interested.  Irsay was also talking Brissett up after the inquiries were made public.  Regardless the truth is no one has any idea what the Colts will do with Brissett at this time.  Way to early for that.  I believe we have already received offers and I think when the season is over we will receive more and I think we will trade him.  My opinion.  You think we are going to hold on to him.  Your opinion.  All we have is opinions.  Nothing more nothing less. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think you forgot to include the other report that stated the Colts received multiple trade inquiries about Brissett near the deadline but they stated they were not interested.  Irsay was also talking Brissett up after the inquiries were made public.  Regardless the truth is no one has any idea what the Colts will do with Brissett at this time.  Way to early for that.  I believe we have already received offers and I think when the season is over we will receive more and I think we will trade him.  My opinion.  You think we are going to hold on to him.  Your opinion.  All we have is opinions.  Nothing more nothing less. 

Who tried to trade for Brissett out of curiosity? Do you have a link, because it would have made sense to trade him then. I read an article he wasn’t inquired about at the deadline. Can’t find the link, but the QBs in this link were  mentioned in same story were Brissett was not inquired about before th deadline.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25128151/2018-nfl-trade-deadline-winners-losers

24 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Who tried to trade for Brissett out of curiosity? Do you have a link, because it would have made sense to trade him then. I read an article he wasn’t inquired about at the deadline. Can’t find the link, but the QBs in this link were  mentioned in same story were Brissett was not inquired about before th deadline.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25128151/2018-nfl-trade-deadline-winners-losers

The report I read did not mention specific teams.  If it did I think it would have received a lot of attention.  It just mentioned multiple teams but Irasy was quick to follow it up with a statement touting his ability and value.  It sounded like an attempt to drive up his price.  I got the impression Irsay was thinking he would be more valuable when the season was over but that's just a guess.  I don't have a link and I don't know how to post them anyway.  If I had to guess I might have seen it on Bleacher Report because they post a lot of articles, statements and tweets besides their own.  

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

They have a 2020 pick.