Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long until we have a legit defense?

Trace Pyott

11 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Right — that’s kinda my point.  It’s more important who you have (in the front office, on the bench) than what pick you have.

That is true, but percentages of us picking someone up good in the top 10 with a good front office vs good in the last 20 will always better looking in the top 10.  Not saying it isn't possible.

13 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hate to post it this way...... but what constitutes a SB contender?

To me, if you make the playoffs, you are a "contender for the SB"

We have all seen wildcard teams win the SB..... we have a decent

chance to get in as the last WC

Will we make it to the SB, if we get in to the playoffs this year?......

I JUST DONT SEE IT.......

too many holes

Pittsburgh, NE, KC, and Houston field more complete teams than us....... 

(This year)

In 2019......

IF we have some luck in the draft again (no assurances)

IF Luck (and the team) can stay healthy.......

IF our defense can fill 3-4 Holes........ (Not insurmountable)

Many IFs........ no guarantees......  But i am sure not ready to take the Colts out of the running in my mind for SB in 2019.

THIS year, we had at least 3 games where we just needed a single play to win the game..........

A 9 - 2 record, would have put us with home field (except KC)

We arent that far off folks.... just an opinion 

The only way we could win super bowl this year is if luck plays better than Flacco did in 2012 during his super bowl run. Probably  would take 16 tds with 0 ints

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

That is true, but percentages of us picking someone up good in the top 10 with a good front office vs good in the last 20 will always better looking in the top 10.  Not saying it isn't possible.

Well, obviously.

But how do teams get top 10 picks?  By losing.  I’d much rather we excel and continue to build our team with smart moves that don’t require having the top picks in the draft.  That’s what winning programs do.

20 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

This is just my opinion, but I believe Lewis is going to end up being Sheard's replacement. He's not a full time interior guy and from the way it sounds they want to use him like OSU did which was DE on early downs and 3T on obvious passing downs. I don't think I've seen him slide inside yet and he's been taking Turay's early down snaps on the outside so I believe that's where they primarily want him. 

Turay just needs to get NFL strength and I believe he'll be fine. He's got every athletic trait you'd want, but once he gets his strength up where he can use power to move tackles in the run game he'll be a full time starter. 

Lewis kicked inside against TEN...but then didn’t against MIA for some reason. Right before his debut, Ballard said that they think Lewis is a DT long-term...but that he would probably play both early on (in his career). I wouldn’t think that anything has changed...at  least I hope not...because Lewis doesn’t look like an effective DE.

I think the DL is missing a legit DE and a DT...that are more than depth. This draft should yield one of those.

On 11/27/2018 at 8:29 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Actually statistically speaking we do have a legit defense.

Indy's defense is ranked 18th in total points allowed and 16th in yards per game.

That's about average for both categories.

Completely agree, we are 7th in the NFL in YPC allowed also, and 8th in turnovers.  Those are HUGE stats when going into the playoffs.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:15 PM, luv_pony_express said:

Well, obviously.

But how do teams get top 10 picks?  By losing.  I’d much rather we excel and continue to build our team with smart moves that don’t require having the top picks in the draft.  That’s what winning programs do.

Ehhh not necessarily.  Outside of the Steelers and Patriots, the most recent SB winners had their periods of mediocrity and losing before they became what they are today.  The top teams outside of maybe 2-4 teams constantly rotates.  The idea is to get those stud pieces in place and fill in with solid replaceable guys.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:21 PM, Lawrence Owen said:

Completely agree, we are 7th in the NFL in YPC allowed also, and 8th in turnovers.  Those are HUGE stats when going into the playoffs.

And the opponents are at different level than the regular season average as well.

I don't like these stats at all, honestly. Neither the total defense, ypg, even points per game. These are all out-of-context stats. The Colts haven't played a good-to-elite offense this year outside of the Patriots, so how could their stats could be compared to for example to Denver's, who have played with the Chiefs twice, the Rams, the Chargers and the Steelers? Mere stats simply not comparable for these two. Not to mention, that the best friend of a defense is a good offense, which keeps opponent offenses at the sideline.

And, I think it's important to define what "legit"  means. In my book, it is not being in the topX in certain stats. The Titans defense was the #1 scoring defense (what is more important than scoring?), and was destroyed by the Colts, then gashed by the Texans the next 2 weeks. Because, despite being #1, they were not that "legit". Stats don't tell the truth. So, what I what is rather a defense, which has no glaring weaknesses what opponenst can easily game plan for, which is consistent, which is situationally good, which is versatile enough that it can be effective against most types of quarterbacks / schemes. And I don't care how they do it, whether they are 32th in yards allowed or 1st. Of course, being situationally good, versatile, etc., that will inevitably show in some stats, but being good in stats is a consequence. If you are legit, some stats will reflect that. But you won't be legit because some of your stats look good.

I think Eberflush has done a good job so far with this young defense, but he has a long way to go. Ballard needs to hit the upcoming draft and he also needs to start spending in free agency. Cautionally, but start spending.

5 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

And the opponents are at different level than the regular season average as well.

I don't like these stats at all, honestly. Neither the total defense, ypg, even points per game. These are all out-of-context stats. The Colts haven't played a good-to-elite offense this year outside of the Patriots, so how could their stats could be compared to for example to Denver's, who have played with the Chiefs twice, the Rams, the Chargers and the Steelers? Mere stats simply not comparable for these two. Not to mention, that the best friend of a defense is a good offense, which keeps opponent offenses at the sideline.

Correct.  The Saints went into last night's game as the leading run defense in the league.  Is that a product of their defensive personnel or the fact that their offense has been off the charts good?  The correct answer is probably both but I would lean far more to their offense and the fact that teams have been behind for much of their games and had to throw to catch up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2018 at 7:31 AM, krunk said:

I feel like we'll get rid of Hunt and Autry next year.  

I think that would be wrong if we did. 

On 11/27/2018 at 7:37 AM, Flash7 said:

I can't imagine the Colts with a legit defense. I hope they get one, but to me, the Colts are synonymous with a great offense and a soft defense -- the way they've been for the last 20+ years.

My answer - Never, until I'm proven wrong.

Your wrong, IMO. Just sayin.......:thmup:

On 11/27/2018 at 2:12 PM, smittywerb said:

Now look at who's running their front office.  Then look at ours.

I'm lookin. What are you seeing? I would not trade our front office for the Pats. Curious how you feel about it now. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I think that would be wrong if we did. 

Your wrong, IMO. Just sayin.......:thmup:

I'm lookin. What are you seeing? I would not trade our front office for the Pats. Curious how you feel about it now. 

I think you took my quote out of context.  Reread the convo.  I know it was a while ago.  But I’m pretty sure I was in favor of our front office.  

EDIT:  Yeah i I remember now.  I was saying getting high picks increAses our chances of getting good players and you disagreed and used teams with crappy front offices as an example while I defended our front office and basically said we would hit more on our picks than those crappy teams.  Lol. 

• Like 1