Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ref is fired mid-season

Cynjin

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25082276/nfl-fires-judge-hugo-cruz-effective-immediately

NFLRA will file a grievance-

"The NFLRA will protect the collectively bargained rights of all officials and will challenge this reckless decision through the grievance process."

AFAIK, we don't know these CBA rules, and what 'performance' criteria level is required for dismissal, etc...

11 hours ago, buccolts said:

Agreed. 

This is a badly officiated game. 

There have been quite a few badly officiated games. 

IMO why shouldn't refs be held accountable for not performing?  They are paid pretty good from what I was reading. $190,000. per year is not a bad gig. It is suppose to go up to over $200,000. next season. Going to full time should have made the officiating better but I don't see it. I understand a game can't be 100% correctly called but why can't an obvious wrong call be reversed from NY?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO why shouldn't refs be held accountable for not performing?  They are paid pretty good from what I was reading. $190,000. per year is not a bad gig. It is suppose to go up to over $200,000. next season. Going to full time should have made the officiating better but I don't see it. I understand a game can't be 100% correctly called but why can't an obvious wrong call be reversed from NY?

id at least like to see more penalties be reviewable, especially pass interference and maybe personal fouls

i can kind of understand why they dont want to review holds and what not though 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Agreed, but adding 30 minutes to the game is in no one's interest.

Some are pretty obvious, though. Even us fans see them while watching the game live, and don't need a replay to confirm some of them. Someone in NY should be able to alert the Officials immediately and advise on a missed/bad call.

• Like 1

That incomplete pass ruling last night was absurd.

It's hard to think that these people are just that bad at their jobs...or that stupid. They know they can influence outcomes...and they do just that. This is a big reason why people are not watching as much...because it becomes a bad product, a one-side affiar or it just looks fake.

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That incomplete pass ruling last night was absurd.

It's hard to think that these people are just that bad at their jobs...or that stupid. They know they can influence outcomes...and they do just that. This is a big reason why people are not watching as much...because it becomes a bad product, a one-side affair or it just looks fake.

Yes. Plus, missing the obvious leg whip on special teams at the beginning of the game plus missing face mask calls, and the Texans' D slamming RBs into the ground etc.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes. Plus, missing the obvious leg whip on special teams at the beginning of the game plus missing face mask calls, and the Texans' D slamming RBs into the ground etc.

It was terrible. You would think it was meant to help HOU...but then they called a phantom roughing the kicker that gave MIN a TD instead of a FG...and then took 7 pts off the board on an obvious fumble recovery and TD. Both teams were getting terrible calls.

That play was a fumble....but even if it wasn't a fumble...then it was a backwards pass....which meant it was a live ball. Somehow they got past all of that...and then didn't even call intentional grounding...which it was as well.

It also seems like they are trolling when they do this. I don't really see the upside for the NFL to continue to have these things happen. And if it's being done intentionally...I really don't get it at all.

16 hours ago, Cynjin said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-reportedly-fires-official-after-missing-blatant-false-start-in-chargers-browns-game/

Watching the Dolphins vs Texans game, it looks like a couple of these refs could be getting themselves in trouble.  There have been a couple of blatant missed calls.

Refs usually catch the false starts.  Shoot they usually catch if the guy jerks a little bit.  

In this case the tackle got off 2 entire steps before the ball is snapped.  

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Some are pretty obvious, though. Even us fans see them while watching the game live, and don't need a replay to confirm some of them. Someone in NY should be able to alert the Officials immediately and advise on a missed/bad call.

For me I couldn't care less about the time factor but I understand why they want to get the games in for various reasons.  I would rather get the games called within the rules.

I totally agree that NY needs to alert the officials especially when the call can change the game flow. Missing an off sides is not acceptable at no time.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They used to get weekly grades, best performers get to ref playoffs (more money?) and best of the best the Super Bowl (even moire money?) Certainly they still do... right?

I think this is part show by the NFL, somehow.

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

id at least like to see more penalties be reviewable, especially pass interference and maybe personal fouls

i can kind of understand why they dont want to review holds and what not though 

I'd like the HC to red flag most any call; that is not holding or unnecessary roughness. up to 2 per half.

Exactly.

I think they should stay out of it until last 2 minutes of half/game or a HC red flag challenge is issued.  Give the HC an extra challenge, and a few more plays eligible for review/challenge.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Missing an off sides is not acceptable at no time.

Camera angles would have to be proper enough on some.  I thought if a play was reviewed, NY had to look at every aspect of the play, not just what the HC challenged.  Thus if there was encroachment, then the play is dead.  Penalty enforced if team accepts.  I am not sure if that has changed though.

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Camera angles would have to be proper enough on some.  I thought if a play was reviewed, NY had to look at every aspect of the play, not just what the HC challenged.  Thus if there was encroachment, then the play is dead.  Penalty enforced if team accepts.  I am not sure if that has changed though.

They have two refs looking down the line of scrimmage.  It only takes sight and peripheral vision to see someone moving before the ball is snapped. That is the easiest call on the field and IMO that is what is not acceptable.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They have two refs looking down the line of scrimmage.  It only takes sight and peripheral vision to see someone moving before the ball is snapped. That is the easiest call on the field and IMO that is what is not acceptable.

But NY and fans don't always have that perspective, so a challenge could be difficult. Like you said, it should not be missed on  the field and thus moot.

On 10/26/2018 at 11:43 AM, buccolts said:

This is the answer right here. There should be someone capable of buzzing into the head ref from the studio where they are monitoring games for missed calls that are clearly violations. I think you would have to have some limits but the missed calls are horrific and not consistently called from game to game. One game, the pats can hold all day long, the next game by another team are flagged for far less. Several examples of teams playing one week a certain way and then getting flagged for it the next. This is causing teams loses and fans frustrations. 

On 10/26/2018 at 12:50 PM, chad72 said:

That leg whip miss was atrocious by an nfl officiating crew. But then they will call a hold or something that is completely out of the context and area of the actual play itself. It only gets worse.