Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts "Mount Rushmore" - NFL Network

DaveA1102

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Most who wouldn't recognize them as the same are older, bitter Baltimore fans

I was born in Baltimore in 54. Moved to Indy in 80.  The biggest betrayer was BOB Irsay who kept making promises to Baltimore while drunk, then 180 degrees when sober.  It's only my opinion, but I believe the move was needed because of the TV contract (Baltimore Blue Laws made the Colts the only 2pm game, and most of the nation missed it) and the NFL wanted BOB faded out and young Jimmy Irsay faded into being in charge.

Jimmy has become one of the very best owners as building/ running a franchise. Contrast with BOB, who acquired the Colts as 1971 World Champions, and thru tightwadded stinginess, refusing to pay players, dropped the team to 2-12 by 72.

I think every moved franchise should always leave their mascot and history behind. The Baltimore Orioles moved in 1906 and became the NY Highlanders, eventually the Yankees. The St Louis Browns moved to Baltimore in 54 and became the Orioles.  That solves these discussions.

I've seen and been a fan of both Colts franchises.  The best 4 are 1:Unitas, 2: Lenny Moore (both those were on the All NFL 50th Anniversary team, so they HAVE to be on Colts Mt Rushmore!) 3: Peyton, 4: Raymond Berry.  Berry wasn't fast, but he had the best hands ever as a Colt.  2nd best hands were Reggie Wayne's, and since that makes Marvin 3rd best hands, he cant make the 4th place on Mt Rushmore.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Let's muddy it up more.    The Baltimore Colts were at one time the Dallas Texans.  

So who owns that history?   Dallas, Houston Texans or Indianapolis Colts.  :D

In between they were the Miami Seahawks. That's where the blue and white came from.

4 hours ago, #12. said:

It's the same history.  Plenty of teams have moved and no one splits up their history.  No one separates the Brooklyn Dodgers from the LA Dodgers, the NY Giants from the San Francisco Giants.  The St. Louis era Rams are not looked at as a different franchise.  Are the LA Chargers a new franchise?  No.

This 100%!!!

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

They didn't keep D line stats back then (sacks, hit, etc...)

I'll Go with the P. Manning, J. Unitas, R. Berry, M. Harrison foursome.

My next level would be -

D. Freeney, G. Marchetti, R. Wayne, Bubba Smith. (HM: R. Mathis)

There's my guy, look at that big ol monster Marchetti. I love old NFL films. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I was born in Baltimore in 54. Moved to Indy in 80.  The biggest betrayer was BOB Irsay who kept making promises to Baltimore while drunk, then 180 degrees when sober.  It's only my opinion, but I believe the move was needed because of the TV contract (Baltimore Blue Laws made the Colts the only 2pm game, and most of the nation missed it) and the NFL wanted BOB faded out and young Jimmy Irsay faded into being in charge.

Jimmy has become one of the very best owners as building/ running a franchise. Contrast with BOB, who acquired the Colts as 1971 World Champions, and thru tightwadded stinginess, refusing to pay players, dropped the team to 2-12 by 72.

I think every moved franchise should always leave their mascot and history behind. The Baltimore Orioles moved in 1906 and became the NY Highlanders, eventually the Yankees. The St Louis Browns moved to Baltimore in 54 and became the Orioles.  That solves these discussions.

I've seen and been a fan of both Colts franchises.  The best 4 are 1:Unitas, 2: Lenny Moore (both those were on the All NFL 50th Anniversary team, so they HAVE to be on Colts Mt Rushmore!) 3: Peyton, 4: Raymond Berry.  Berry wasn't fast, but he had the best hands ever as a Colt.  2nd best hands were Reggie Wayne's, and since that makes Marvin 3rd best hands, he cant make the 4th place on Mt Rushmore.

I respect your opinion as you have seen alot more Football then me but Marvin was the total package, he had Great hands like Berry and Reggie but was faster than both which made him more dangerous as a deep threat. Marvin was more of a complete WR = Hands and Speed, JMO. I have seen film on Berry. Berry and Reggie are very similar. 

5 hours ago, #12. said:

Plenty of teams have moved and no one splits up their history.

That’s not always true.  The Ravens used to be the Browns.  But they formally left the team’s history in Cleveland.  The new franchise inherited it.

You’re right in most cases (including ours).  Formally, all Colts history still belongs to our franchise.  But, that said, few Baltimore players ever expressed any affinity to the franchise after it moved.  That’s why, for instance, Unitas isn’t recognized in the Ring of Honor (something they started after the relocation).

18 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

But, that said, few Baltimore players ever expressed any affinity to the franchise after it moved.  

The main reason for that IMO - from the time the Colts moved until the Ravens came into being, the Colts were terrible, possibly the worst team in football while the Ravens proceeded to win the Super Bowl... before the Indianapolis Colts did.  Everyone wants to latch on to a winner.  After the Colts became successful with Manning, you heard more positive things from the old Baltimore guys.  Had the Colts won three Super Bowls in the late 80s, I bet the Baltimore guys would have gladly shown up for a few ceremonies.

Today, the location of the team is meaning less and less.  Most teams have a sizeable national following  and many watch on DirecTV.  Raiders in Oakland or Las Vegas - how much does it really matter?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

The main reason for that IMO - from the time the Colts moved until the Ravens came into being, the Colts were terrible, possibly the worst team in football while the Ravens proceeded to win the Super Bowl... before the Indianapolis Colts did.  Everyone wants to latch on to a winner.  After the Colts became successful with Manning, you heard more positive things from the old Baltimore guys.  Had the Colts won three Super Bowls in the late 80s, I bet the Baltimore guys would have gladly shown up for a few ceremonies.

Today, the location of the team is meaning less and less.  Most teams have a sizeable national following  and many watch on DirecTV.  Raiders in Oakland or Las Vegas - how much does it really matter?

I’m not sure I agree with you on that.  I think they had more affinity for Baltimore than the Colts — at least the most prominent ones.  But, you’re right, it doesn’t really matter.  The team has been making a new history in Indy for the last 35 years.

Indianapolis has a nice history by itself actually in 35 seasons = 5 AFC Title Game Appearances (1995, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014), we have been to 2 SB's (2006 and 2009), and won a SB in 2006. Players such as Dickerson/Hinton/Faulk/Harbaugh/Peyton/Harrison/Freeney/Reggie/Mathis/Saturday/B.Sanders/Edge/Luck have been in an Indianapolis uniform. We have had a solid franchise.

• Like 3

None of the Baltimore Colts players have/had any love for Indy or our Colts.  So I have no love for them.  I respect what they accomplished and their legacies but I have no problem separating Baltimore records and accolades from Indianapolis records and accolades.  So my Mt. Rushmores are as follows:  Indy: Manning, Harrison, Freeney, James (HM: Dungy, Wayne, Mathis, & Saturday).  Baltimore:  Unitas, Moore, Marchetti, & Berry.  

If forced to combine, I'd go Manning, Unitas, Harrison, & Moore.  Too many honorable mentions to name.  And for the record no Colt ever had better hands than a healthy Marvin Harrison.  Not Berry.  Not Wayne.  Not TY.  No one.  You'd be hard pressed to find any receiver in NFL history with better hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Still can't forget Jones overthrowing a open Chester in OT playoff game vs Raiders......and neither does Jones I heard him say. 

I still often think of that game.  A crushing loss.  Though to be fair, going from my fading memory, if they had replay back then, Jones’ late TD plunge would have been ruled no TD. (Hope I’m Not confusing games.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My Indianapolis Colts Mt Rushmore would be:

Peyton/Marvin/Freeney/Reggie

If it's Indy/Baltimore Colts my Mt Rushmore:

Peyton/Unitas/Marvin/ Freeney

-When Freeney was out vs the Chargers in the 2007 Playoffs and in the 2009 SB vs the Saints we weren't the same Defensively. Freeney was a such a game changing Defensive End his whole career. He is the best Defensive player in Colts history playing the most important position on D, so he has to be on our Mt Rushmore.

Indy alone I think I'd go with:

Peyton, Marvin, Edge, Dungy  (HM: Reggie, Freeney, Mathis)

Although Edge only played for 7 years in Indy (and was injured for a little over half a season), he was a key part of 'the triplets,' which was one of the most dominant offenses in NFL history.  Edge, along with LT, represent the 2000-2010 'all-decade' team for the NFL as a whole.  Edge, IMO, was the most complete back in the NFL prior to his injury and regained form his last 2 seasons in Indy (He had over 9,200 rushing yards in 7 seasons in Indy, that is 1,300+ yards/season average and he was injured for over half a season and took a season to regain his form).  

Dungy was the coach of the most winning team in a single decade in NFL history and the first African American to win a SB in the head coach position.  Dungy is a HOFer and helped put the Indy Colts on the map as a classy and successful organization.

Peyton and Marv I think are obvious.  Both HOFers and arguably (maybe with only 1 or 2 other QB/WR tandems in history) the best QB/WR duo in NFL history.

I think Edge, Reggie and Freeney all get into the HOF, just will have to wait a little longer than Peyton, Marv and Dungy did.  Mathis, I think is deserving, but failing for PEDs after a career year so late in his career I believe will turn some voters away.  

You're correct, Freeney was a game changer as a pass-rusher.... he (IMO) owes a lot of his career success to Peyton and Co. as they allowed for him to be a one-dimensional DE who could pin his ears back and fly after the QB moreso than almost any other DE of his era.  Freeney was not very good (near terrible, actually) against the run and I don't think he'd have had the same success in the league had he wound up on a team without such a potent offense.

I think Reggie's biggest argument to be on there is his durability and his leadership as we transitioned from the Peyton era to the Luck era.  However, for most of his career he was Marvin's sidekick and he was never as dominant a player as Edge was in his prime.

Mathis' argument is the same as Reggie's, he stuck around when times got tough and was a leader of this team during a major transition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I respect your opinion as you have seen alot more Football then me but Marvin was the total package, he had Great hands like Berry and Reggie but was faster than both which made him more dangerous as a deep threat. Marvin was more of a complete WR = Hands and Speed, JMO. I have seen film on Berry. Berry and Reggie are very similar. 

I realize I'm biased,  I think Berry and Wayne were better. I also  can't vote for a guy  whose handgun was found in his possession, fired in a shooting that led to an unsolved murder outside Marvin's bar. This appears like the Patriots tight end case to me...

2 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I realize I'm biased,  I think Berry and Wayne were better. I also  can't vote for a guy  whose handgun was found in his possession, fired in a shooting that led to an unsolved murder outside Marvin's bar. This appears like the Patriots tight end case to me...

Good thing voting for HOF isn't based on off-field issues (I'm sure it is to some extent) or Marv probably would have had to wait longer.  I think he should have been first-ballot, based on what he did on the field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harrison

Look at these records from Marv:

Most receptions in a single season with 143, set in 2002

Most receptions in a 7 season period (731), 1999–2005; 8 season period (826), 1999–2006; 9 season period (885), 1998–2006; 10 season period (958), 1997–2006; 11 season period (1,022), 1996–2006

Most games in a career with at least 8 receptions (51), 9 receptions (32), 11 receptions (12), 12 receptions (8)

Most consecutive games with at least 6 receptions (16) and 9 receptions (6)

Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdowns (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens, Frank Gore

Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdowns (11) – shared with Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Don Hutson

Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens

Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson

Most consecutive seasons with at least 10 touchdown receptions (8)

Most consecutive seasons with at least 11 touchdown receptions (4)-tied with Lance Alworth, Art Powell

Most consecutive seasons with at least 14 touchdown receptions (2)-tied with Jerry Rice

Consecutive seasons with 1,400+ receiving yards (4); 1999–2002

Consecutive seasons with 82+ receptions (8); 1999–2006

Most games in a single season (2002) with at least 6 receptions (15), 7 receptions (12)-broken by Antonio Brown, 8 receptions (12), 9 receptions (10)-tied by Julio Jones, 11 receptions (5)

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for most completions between a Wide Receiver and Quarterback with 953.

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing touchdowns between a WR and QB with 112.

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing yards between a WR and QB with 12,756.

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for completions in a season between a WR and QB with 143 in 2002.

First player to record 2 seasons of 1,600 yards receiving in NFL history, (1999 & 2002). (Torry Holt became the 2nd, (2000 & 2003), Antonio Brown became the 3rd (2014 & 2015)).

First player to have 50+ receptions in his first 11 seasons in NFL history. (Torry Holt became the 2nd on December 27, 2009)

Most consecutive seasons of 1,000+ all-purpose yards and 10+ touchdown receptions (8), 1999–2006

On December 18, 2006, Marvin Harrison and Indianapolis Colt teammate Reggie Wayne became the only NFL wide receiver tandem to catch 75 receptions and 1,000 yards in 3 straight seasons. The game was on Monday Night and was played against the Cincinnati Bengals.

On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys

On October 12, 2003, made his 700th career reception against the Carolina Panthers. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 114 games

On November 8, 2004, made his 800th career reception against the Minnesota Vikings. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 131 games

On November 20, 2005, made his 900th career reception against the Cincinnati Bengals. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 149 career games

On December 10, 2006, made his 1000th reception against the Jacksonville Jaguars. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 167 career games

On December 28, 2008, made his 1,100th career reception against the Tennessee Titans in his last regular season game and his last game in Indianapolis. He is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 190 career games.

Most receptions over first 7 seasons (665), 8 seasons (759), 9 seasons (845), 10 seasons (927), 11 seasons (1,022) and 13 seasons (1,102) of career of any NFL receiver

Most consecutive games with a reception to start a career (190)

Most average receptions per game in a career (5.8) – 1996–2008

Most consecutive games with 8+ receiving yards (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game

Most consecutive games with a 6+ yard reception (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game

Most consecutive games with an 8+ yard reception (177), (192 if counting playoffs)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Indy alone I think I'd go with:

Peyton, Marvin, Edge, Dungy  (HM: Reggie, Freeney, Mathis)

Although Edge only played for 7 years in Indy (and was injured for a little over half a season), he was a key part of 'the triplets,' which was one of the most dominant offenses in NFL history.  Edge, along with LT, represent the 2000-2010 'all-decade' team for the NFL as a whole.  Edge, IMO, was the most complete back in the NFL prior to his injury and regained form his last 2 seasons in Indy (He had over 9,200 rushing yards in 7 seasons in Indy, that is 1,300+ yards/season average and he was injured for over half a season and took a season to regain his form).  

Dungy was the coach of the most winning team in a single decade in NFL history and the first African American to win a SB in the head coach position.  Dungy is a HOFer and helped put the Indy Colts on the map as a classy and successful organization.

Peyton and Marv I think are obvious.  Both HOFers and arguably (maybe with only 1 or 2 other QB/WR tandems in history) the best QB/WR duo in NFL history.

I think Edge, Reggie and Freeney all get into the HOF, just will have to wait a little longer than Peyton, Marv and Dungy did.  Mathis, I think is deserving, but failing for PEDs after a career year so late in his career I believe will turn some voters away.  

You're correct, Freeney was a game changer as a pass-rusher.... he (IMO) owes a lot of his career success to Peyton and Co. as they allowed for him to be a one-dimensional DE who could pin his ears back and fly after the QB moreso than almost any other DE of his era.  Freeney was not very good (near terrible, actually) against the run and I don't think he'd have had the same success in the league had he wound up on a team without such a potent offense.

I think Reggie's biggest argument to be on there is his durability and his leadership as we transitioned from the Peyton era to the Luck era.  However, for most of his career he was Marvin's sidekick and he was never as dominant a player as Edge was in his prime.

Mathis' argument is the same as Reggie's, he stuck around when times got tough and was a leader of this team during a major transition.

All Great points, Reggie performed Great with Luck in 2012 as well so he proved it wasn't just Peyton that made him and he was a Colt for 14 seasons. Edge was Great but was only here 7 seasons and wasn't on our SB winning team. So I would take Reggie over Edge. I love Edge though and thought he was Great here so I get your point. The Dungy suggestion for Mt Rushmore is interesting, I guess it just comes down to whether or not one thinks a Great Coach deserves to be on it over a Great player = tough call. If it were Belichick on NE's Mt Rushmore than it would be a no brainer. Without Dungy we did go to the SB with Caldwell in his 1st season and really should've went undefeated so that leads me to believe that Peyton had a ton do with Dungy's success.

6 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I am just going by what Marv has done on the field but I hear what you are saying. 

2 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Good thing voting for HOF isn't based on off-field issues (I'm sure it is to some extent) or Marv probably would have had to wait longer.  I think he should have been first-ballot, based on what he did on the field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Harrison

Look at these records from Marv:

Most receptions in a single season with 143, set in 2002

Most receptions in a 7 season period (731), 1999–2005; 8 season period (826), 1999–2006; 9 season period (885), 1998–2006; 10 season period (958), 1997–2006; 11 season period (1,022), 1996–2006

Most games in a career with at least 8 receptions (51), 9 receptions (32), 11 receptions (12), 12 receptions (8)

Most consecutive games with at least 6 receptions (16) and 9 receptions (6)

Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdowns (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens, Frank Gore

Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdowns (11) – shared with Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Don Hutson

Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens

Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson

Most consecutive seasons with at least 10 touchdown receptions (8)

Most consecutive seasons with at least 11 touchdown receptions (4)-tied with Lance Alworth, Art Powell

Most consecutive seasons with at least 14 touchdown receptions (2)-tied with Jerry Rice

Consecutive seasons with 1,400+ receiving yards (4); 1999–2002

Consecutive seasons with 82+ receptions (8); 1999–2006

Most games in a single season (2002) with at least 6 receptions (15), 7 receptions (12)-broken by Antonio Brown, 8 receptions (12), 9 receptions (10)-tied by Julio Jones, 11 receptions (5)

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for most completions between a Wide Receiver and Quarterback with 953.

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing touchdowns between a WR and QB with 112.

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing yards between a WR and QB with 12,756.

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for completions in a season between a WR and QB with 143 in 2002.

First player to record 2 seasons of 1,600 yards receiving in NFL history, (1999 & 2002). (Torry Holt became the 2nd, (2000 & 2003), Antonio Brown became the 3rd (2014 & 2015)).

First player to have 50+ receptions in his first 11 seasons in NFL history. (Torry Holt became the 2nd on December 27, 2009)

Most consecutive seasons of 1,000+ all-purpose yards and 10+ touchdown receptions (8), 1999–2006

On December 18, 2006, Marvin Harrison and Indianapolis Colt teammate Reggie Wayne became the only NFL wide receiver tandem to catch 75 receptions and 1,000 yards in 3 straight seasons. The game was on Monday Night and was played against the Cincinnati Bengals.

On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys

On October 12, 2003, made his 700th career reception against the Carolina Panthers. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 114 games

On November 8, 2004, made his 800th career reception against the Minnesota Vikings. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 131 games

On November 20, 2005, made his 900th career reception against the Cincinnati Bengals. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 149 career games

On December 10, 2006, made his 1000th reception against the Jacksonville Jaguars. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 167 career games

On December 28, 2008, made his 1,100th career reception against the Tennessee Titans in his last regular season game and his last game in Indianapolis. He is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 190 career games.

Most receptions over first 7 seasons (665), 8 seasons (759), 9 seasons (845), 10 seasons (927), 11 seasons (1,022) and 13 seasons (1,102) of career of any NFL receiver

Most consecutive games with a reception to start a career (190)

Most average receptions per game in a career (5.8) – 1996–2008

Most consecutive games with 8+ receiving yards (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game

Most consecutive games with a 6+ yard reception (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game

Most consecutive games with an 8+ yard reception (177), (192 if counting playoffs)

Being an uncleared suspect in a murder should cancel everything until hes cleared. Sports is fun but it shouldn't cancel murder 

5 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Being an uncleared suspect in a murder should cancel everything until hes cleared. Sports is fun but it shouldn't cancel murder 

I will agree nothing is worse than murder but you have to go by what the player did on the field when ranking them. That would be like saying OJ isn't the best RB in Bills history because he killed 2 people allegedly. OJ was clearly the best. Thurman Thomas stayed out of trouble and was Great but that doesn't mean he was a better player than OJ.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will agree nothing is worse than murder but you have to go by what the player did on the field when ranking them. That would be like saying OJ isn't the best RB in Bills history because he killed 2 people allegedly. OJ was clearly the best. Thurman Thomas stayed out of trouble and was Great but that doesn't mean he was a better player than OJ.

I drive a truck. I've driven over 4 million miles safely and have been honored by the Indiana Motor Truck Association as one of the 12 best in Indiana.  If I murder someone I Guarantee all those honors get thrown away. That's Reality. I love sports but to honor a possible murderer is beyond stoooooopid. 

I drive a truck. I've driven over 4 million miles safely and have been honored by the Indiana Motor Truck Association as one of the 12 best in Indiana.  If I murder someone I Guarantee all those honors get thrown away. That's Reality. I love sports but to honor a possible murderer is beyond stoooooopid. 

I hear what you are saying but what if Marvin didn't kill anyone just to play devil's advocate? He was never convicted of anything. Even with OJ he just got convicted of kidnapping and theft a few years ago. So should the Lakers just ignore Kobe's career because he was accused of rape but it didn't even go to court? or should the Ravens ignore Ray Lewis's career because of what happened with his incident? Some people believe Lewis helped kill those guys. Lewis is clearly the Greatest player in Ravens history.

53 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

By the way congrats on that award. I deal with alot of truck drivers in my profession all the time. You guys do not have an easy job. Safety is so important. Be safe on the roads, sounds like you are :thmup:. Your resume is awesome.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

By the way congrats on that award. I deal with alot of truck drivers in my profession all the time. You guys do not have an easy job. Safety is so important. Be safe on the roads, sounds like you are :thmup:. Your resume is awesome.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hear what you are saying but what if Marvin didn't kill anyone just to play devil's advocate? He was never convicted of anything. Even with OJ he just got convicted of kidnapping and theft a few years ago. So should the Lakers just ignore Kobe's career because he was accused of rape but it didn't even go to court? or should the Ravens ignore Ray Lewis's career because of what happened with his incident? Some people believe Lewis helped kill those guys. Lewis is clearly the Greatest player in Ravens history.

Recognizing sports accomplishments is one thing.  Putting uncleared wrongdoers in the HOF, or on a Ring of Honor, or a Mount Rushmore,  is Immoral, teaching our kids wrong Values, and what is wrong with our Nation, in my Opinion.  Try being accused of illegalities at your work, and tell me how "honored" your boss values you...

Guess we just have to disagree.

6 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

Recognizing sports accomplishments is one thing.  Putting uncleared wrongdoers in the HOF, or on a Ring of Honor, or a Mount Rushmore,  is Immoral, teaching our kids wrong Values, and what is wrong with our Nation, in my Opinion.  Try being accused of illegalities at your work, and tell me how "honored" your boss values you...

Guess we just have to disagree.

I really don't disagree with you regarding if someone commits a crime that they aren't a bad person. When it comes to sports when I rank players I just do it by what they have done on the field. Pro sports is different from our kind of world, it shouldn't be but it is.

9 hours ago, #12. said:

That was a condition for the move, and the Browns returned three years later, so that's a little different.  

Now, when a team moves and changes names - Oilers to the Titans - the public perception is different.

There is something about changing the name of the team, and that points up an interesting contrast between Indianapolis and Nashville. The fans in Indy still recognize the history and the accomplishments of the greats who played in Baltimore, but the fans in Nashville barely even acknowledge that their team was once called the Oilers. I don't think many of them even know who Warren Moon and Earl Campbell are. It's as though everything about the Oilers died when the team moved. Kinda sad.

10 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

There is something about changing the name of the team, and that points up an interesting contrast between Indianapolis and Nashville. The fans in Indy still recognize the history and the accomplishments of the greats who played in Baltimore, but the fans in Nashville barely even acknowledge that their team was once called the Oilers. I don't think many of them even know who Warren Moon and Earl Campbell are. It's as though everything about the Oilers died when the team moved. Kinda sad.

I think that's today's generation. It's logical. They never knew the old.   I'm guessing most under 25 year old Indy fans couldn't name a Baltimore Colt unless maybe Unitas??????  I grew up near Baltimore, and I can't name a St Louis Brown, let alone a Dallas Texan.

I think that's today's generation. It's logical. They never knew the old.   I'm guessing most under 25 year old Indy fans couldn't name a Baltimore Colt unless maybe Unitas??????  I grew up near Baltimore, and I can't name a St Louis Brown, let alone a Dallas Texan.

I think it's important to know your favorite teams history even if one is young. I was born in 1971 so I never seen Unitas play live but I know his history and have watched old films on him. Same for Marchetti, Mackey, and Berry. When I became a Colts fan it was because they moved here to Indy and I was 12 going on 13. At that time as a kid, I was just glad we had a team and bugging my parents to go to a game LOL. Once we got good in 1987 and I was older was then when I studied the Colts great history in Baltimore. I knew how Great Dickerson was so I wanted to study the other greats at that time.