Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fans and annoucers get it wrong

JMichael557

It is always interesting how fans and announcers just watching the game wrongly criticize players. On the Green TD many have commented that Hook made a major mistake. As shown on Blue Stampede Hooker did not make the mistake it was Geathers.  Hookers had the right side of the field and Geathers had the left side. Geathers bit on a fake and Green ran by him. Hooker showed tremendous speed just to be able to race over and get the area of the throw.  On TV instead of Hooker getting praise for great hustle on a coverage that was blown by a fellow defender. He is attacked for being late and allowing Green to get behind him. The fact is Hooker did a great job on that play. 

• Like 2

The question that should be asked from the announcers is.....why is it like last year, the colts go to a protect the lead defense? Instead of doing what they did the first 3 Quarters and run blitz packages, they drop everyone back into coverage allowing Dalton to have all that time to throw the ball. Surely I can't be the only one who has seen that since last year?  or am I losing my mind? lol

It's not a fact, it's Stampede Blue's opinion.  The fact is Hooker was the deep safety on the play and Green started on his side of the field and Hooker let Green get behind him and Hooker took a step to cover the outside receiver and as soon as he did that then Green did the skinny post towards the middle of the field.

It was a well designed play by Cincy, they saw how Geathers was playing the mid zone and adjusted Green's route.  You can tell by the timing of Green's break that the read was Hooker and Dalton did a good job forcing Hooker to his left which opened up Green in the deep middle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

He was not the deep safety they were in a cover 2. He has one side of the field not both sides. Impossible to cover both Sides. You have to have some understanding of coverages. 

the play started on his side, hooker needs to abandon his zone and play the deep ball there

especially considering thats his strength and the reason we drafted him

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

the play started on his side, hooker needs to abandon his zone and play the deep ball there

especially considering thats his strength and the reason we drafted him

I don't think there should be any cause for concern seeing Hooker get beat deep by an established elite WR like AJ Green, while only in playing his 8th NFL game, & coming off an ACL tear. It's a minor speed bump. He wasn't great in his first game back, but I expect him to improve each week moving forward.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think there should be any cause for concern seeing Hooker get beat deep by an established elite WR like AJ Green, while only in playing his 8th NFL game, & coming off an ACL tear. It's a minor speed bump. He wasn't great in his first game back, but I expect him to improve each week moving forward.

not the end of the world and probably a good learning experience for him

every team is going to try and confuse him like that and get him out of the play.  

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

not the end of the world and probably a good learning experience for him

every team is going to try and confuse him like that and get him out of the play.  

Between the coaching staff, his own natural ability, & reviewing game tape, I'd bet that's not mistake Hooker makes many more times.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Nope, it only becomes a concern if it happens over and over again.

Once again you guys are wrong. Green is inside of Hooker by 10 yards. Hooker has the right corner and over the top. Green runs toward the left part of the field away from Hooker. He could not have run their if Gathers drops to where he is suppose to be. Hooker does  a great job just catching up. 

16 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Once again you guys are wrong. Green is inside of Hooker by 10 yards. Hooker has the right corner and over the top. Green runs toward the left part of the field away from Hooker. He could not have run their if Gathers drops to where he is suppose to be. Hooker does  a great job just catching up. 

Regardless of who we pin the blame on, this is a zone defense, & a WR should NEVER get behind our safeties. It's their first game on the field together, so I expect some growing pains while they learn to coexist out there, but having said that, I'd hold both of them equally responsible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Once again you guys are wrong. Green is inside of Hooker by 10 yards. Hooker has the right corner and over the top. 

this wasnt all his fault, but teams are going to call plays to avoid hooker's zone assignment 

he is going to have to make reads to follow the play on deep passes, or he will get schemed out of the picture every time 

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

It is always interesting how fans and announcers just watching the game wrongly criticize players. On the Green TD many have commented that Hook made a major mistake. As shown on Blue Stampede Hooker did not make the mistake it was Geathers.  Hookers had the right side of the field and Geathers had the left side. Geathers bit on a fake and Green ran by him. Hooker showed tremendous speed just to be able to race over and get the area of the throw.  On TV instead of Hooker getting praise for great hustle on a coverage that was blown by a fellow defender. He is attacked for being late and allowing Green to get behind him. The fact is Hooker did a great job on that play. 

Listened to Venturi twice on this and lays the blame squarely on Hooker.  Said they were in quarters and that Hooker can never let Green get inside there in that coverage.

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

He was not the deep safety they were in a cover 2. He has one side of the field not both sides. Impossible to cover both Sides. You have to have some understanding of coverages. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Just can't admit you were wrong on this one, can you?  First you said that Hooker was not the deep safety.  That has been proven wrong.  Then you said Geathers bit on the play action.  Watch the clip, that is wrong as well, the play action goes to the defensive right, Geathers coves the mid zone to the defensive left.  Then you think Geathers is supposed to cover the mid zone and the deep zone and Hooker, who has the deep zone is not supposed to cover.  

I would highly recommend that rather than reading a breakdown from a site that has shown they don't understand the Xs and Os of football all that well and taking that as gospel, that you think for yourself and see what happened.

I just watched the play again. Green lines up in the right but goes left. He got behind Geathers who was fooled. Hooker reacted when he saw Green was going to the left on the post and tried to bail Geathers out but was too late.

For those saying Geathers strength is in the box so he shouldn’t have been that deep, you need to realize our scheme calls for him to cover. It’s Cover-2 when each safety is responsible for one half of the field. Geathers is expected to cover deep. The Seahawks asked Chancellor to do the same.

39 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just watched the play again. Green lines up in the right but goes left. He got behind Geathers who was fooled. Hooker reacted when he saw Green was going to the left on the post and tried to bail Geathers out but was too late.

For those saying Geathers strength is in the box so he shouldn’t have been that deep, you need to realize our scheme calls for him to cover. It’s Cover-2 when each safety is responsible for one half of the field. Geathers is expected to cover deep. The Seahawks asked Chancellor to do the same.

Look how they are lined up.  Geathers does not have deep responsibility on that play.  They weren't in a cover 2 D.  People mistakenly think that because the base D is a Cover 2 or Tampa 2 that is what is run all the time.  But it's pretty easy to see that on this D the nickle back has the short zone middle of field, Geathers has the mid zone, middle of field, Hooker has the deep zone and the outside corners are playing man.

Or maybe the nickle back is the one that made the mistake, maybe he was supposed to stay with Green but the nickle back turns away from Green after 5-7 yards.

To the rest, I agree 100% Geathers needs to cover and at times he will need to cover deep.  But that was not a cover 2 on that play.  And his coverage throughout the game seemed a half step slow.  But Hooker's coverage seemed about a half step slow all game as well.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 12:01 PM, JMichael557 said:

the condescension is strong in this one

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 11:52 AM, Deadpool said:

The question that should be asked from the announcers is.....why is it like last year, the colts go to a protect the lead defense? Instead of doing what they did the first 3 Quarters and run blitz packages, they drop everyone back into coverage allowing Dalton to have all that time to throw the ball. Surely I can't be the only one who has seen that since last year?  or am I losing my mind? lol

new coaches should be different but they dont seem to be

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

In this case, they appear to be in Quarters...so even Geathers really shouldn't have been beat there...especially when Dalton was staring it down.

I don't think Geathers is a very good fit for this defense.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Look how they are lined up.  Geathers does not have deep responsibility on that play.  They weren't in a cover 2 D.  People mistakenly think that because the base D is a Cover 2 or Tampa 2 that is what is run all the time.  But it's pretty easy to see that on this D the nickle back has the short zone middle of field, Geathers has the mid zone, middle of field, Hooker has the deep zone and the outside corners are playing man.

Or maybe the nickle back is the one that made the mistake, maybe he was supposed to stay with Green but the nickle back turns away from Green after 5-7 yards.

To the rest, I agree 100% Geathers needs to cover and at times he will need to cover deep.  But that was not a cover 2 on that play.  And his coverage throughout the game seemed a half step slow.  But Hooker's coverage seemed about a half step slow all game as well.

It has to be Quarters...because Wilson completely abandons the flat before the pass is ever thrown (leaving Mixon wide open). In Cover 2, Wilson would have stayed there. 

Also, no idea what Leonard was doing on that play. He inexplicably breaks to the middle of the field, leaving an entire side of the field open with Eifert running a curl route and Mixon in the flat (with no one in 20 yards of him). There is no way that was his assignment. Assuming it was Quarters, I would think Leonard has that side because Wilson bailed immediately. 

Someone (or multiple someones) screwed up on that play...but it doesn't really matter because that play was busted from the moment it started. If Dalton doesn't go for the home run, it's either a 20 yard completion to Eifert or Mixon with a ton of space down the sideline.

It appears though...that it was Quarters...judging by Wilson, Geathers and Hooker.