Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kudos to the Coaches!

Smonroe

I thought they called a great game, and had the best game plan they could put out there.  Playing without the starting LT and with two rookie RBs.

I can't believe how many ignorant posts I've read here.  For all those complaining, do this drill:

How many Colts that played today would start for the Bengals?  Luck, no doubt.  TY would be their #2, possibly Nelson.  That's it on O.

On D, maybe Hooker, maybe not.  

Luck is a great equalizer, but the coaches did a great job of keeping us in this game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I thought they called a great game, and had the best game plan they could put out there.  

This offense looked well-coached with good pace.  Reich is taking care of Luck with his play calling, including some of the quick outs and screens.  The rookie rbs were comfortable and effective and held onto the ball. 

Sure there were some plays you'd like to take back, but this game was an auspicious start for the Reich era!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I thought they called a great game, and had the best game plan they could put out there.  Playing without the starting LT and with two rookie RBs.

I can't believe how many ignorant posts I've read here.  For all those complaining, do this drill:

How many Colts that played today would start for the Bengals?  Luck, no doubt.  TY would be their #2, possibly Nelson.  That's it on O.

Luck is a great equalizer, but the coaches did a great job of keeping us in this game.

Thanks for dusting the sorry posts. 
LMAO because they KNOW the Bengals are a terrible team and a loss to them is unbelievable.

Mixon was awful last year and so was their o-line therefore.... hahahaha

And the Browns joke season was over by 2;30. hahahaha

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

You have 8700 posts on this forum. Really? You can't believe it? :) 

Actually, I have over 11k posts if I'm reading that right.  So, you're correct.  Usually I ignore the ignorant, but they were out in full force today.  Give them some cheese with that whine.

• Like 6

This is one of the few positive threads.

i too liked the flow of the game and the playcalling.

we have so many new faces on both sides of the ball and are very young:  we'll get there:

I liked how they fought until the end.  Overall, i am encouraged by what i saw.

oh......, and Luck is still a stud.  I'd say, except for maybe a deep shot, he showed us everything we wanted to see from him.  He could protect himself better sure, but he looked good and in control.

There are some young , fast guys on this defense that play with aggression,excitement, and physicality.  They will get better .  

If Doyle holds onto that ball, i believe Andrew has another 4th quarter comeback.  We were moving quite well and they looked gassed.

Except for a couple break-aways by Mixon, and a bomb to Green, i felt we somewhat controlled the game.

They exceeded what i expected

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I agree. Just think people on here wanted Nagy as a coach. His play calling against the Packers was somewhat questionable at times 

I agree i think we just lack talent. The way I usually judge if we have a good team or not Is if we do everything it takes to win but seem to always lose or barely win then I usually think it’s a lack of talent .....think back to the year we played the dolphins and they had the ball for like 90% of the game but we still won. I think that is about as well as this team is going to play (I mean what was the 3rd down conversion %?). I don’t think that’s sustainable and we still lost. I think it’s gonna be a rough year. I think we win 5 or 6 games.   

6 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I agree i think we just lack talent. The way I usually judge if we have a good team or not Is if we do everything it takes to win but seem to always lose or barely win then I usually think it’s a lack of talent .....think back to the year we played the dolphins and they had the ball for like 90% of the game but we still won. I think that is about as well as this team is going to play (I mean what was the 3rd down conversion %?). I don’t think that’s sustainable and we still lost. I think it’s gonna be a rough year. I think we win 5 or 6 games.   

I'd say we lack proven talent.  There are a lot of guys, especially on defense, that most people in the media just don't know about ... yet.  If they continue to play with such aggressiveness and speed, they'll make a name for themselves.  That kind of defense worked out pretty well for the Dolphins in the early 70s, way before most people here were born.

I'm a Buckeye, so I say this with peace and love, but I don't think Hooker is fully back.  He looked a little slow.  Could be him being tentative too.  I'll have to go back and re-watch the game.  When he's 100%, the D can operate at a different level.

8 hours ago, jet1968 said:

I agree. Just think people on here wanted Nagy as a coach. His play calling against the Packers was somewhat questionable at times 

Questionable at times is an understatement. And that ending sequence was some of the worst play calling I've seen in both college and NFL.  4th and 10 what do they need? A full back apparently to help block but not really because he didn't pay attention to the edge...  Or hey we need 10 yards let's run nothing but 25 yard routes.

Nagy was and still is a terrible coach that rode Reid's reputation.

14 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

yeah love those screen for negative yards

Perhaps a run would have been better if you're referring to the last Offensive drive. But let me just say that this regime and call better screens that result in more positive yards than the previous. It was one bad play/execution. Dont kill them for the result of one play when in a game, you could call 50+ plays offensively.

14 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

yeah love those screen for negative yards

How many years have we been begging to run a screen.....guess we got what we asked for lol!!! Honestly Cincy played those screens beautifully. I think we called a pretty darn good game. We had some execution issues and some young mistakes...and some veteran mistakes. Clean up a couple of those and we win the game. We need to get better but I loved the intensity we played with and I thought Luck looked good coming back from such a long layoff.

The coaches did a good job until I just read where Desir didn't play one snap.  I find that hard to believe.  Wilson did not play a good game.  I understand we are trying to develop a 2nd. rd. pick but Desir can definitely play.  He needs to be out there.  Hopefully he gets his chance agains the Skins. 

Give the offense a couple of weeks to really get going. The production of the running game hurts but it doesn't deserve the amount of heat it's getting. For all the supposed weaknesses the Bengals have, Dline is not one of them. We are without our starting LT and a rookie guard. I personally love the new offense. Not a big fan of pass plays that are behind the first down marker but overall it was a success. 11/17 on third down tells me we were doing something right. A lot of that was we weren't really in a lot of 3 and 8 3 and 9 situations like we were in the Pagano era. The defense created chances as well but ultimately the mistakes outnumbered them. The Geathers penalty in particular. Young defenses will do this so they get a pass. Leonard is a stud. Period. Hooker got beat deep but will rebound. Technically as far as in game experience he's still pretty much a rookie and our #1 corner had a club on his hand. Not making excuses but it had to hamper him especially jamming receivers. Alot of bright spots although some people go straight to sky is falling g mode. As Aaron Rodgers would say... RELAX.