Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning & Irsay At Airport In Their Cars

Ohio Colt

My wife just heard about this and came into my office - crying. And she's primarily a Packers fan. Then I clicked on that video, and felt like tearing up myself. This is just sad more than anything else, and watching the press conference is going to be tough. You have to think that Peyton will make an effort to divert pressure off of Irsay. He isn't the "bad guy", he's just trying to run a business. I understand his motivation, and I'd be willing to bet that he honestly wants Peyton to have continued success no matter where he goes. While the Colts are rebuilding, Peyton can jump right to a Super Bowl contender and finish off his career in style. And Irsay will probably be standing there applauding him.

If the organization and fan base to a lesser degree is patient with Luck, there will be rewards.

Look at Eli for perfect example. My in-laws are Giants season ticket holders. Rough start to his career. Looked bleak.... it's a good thing that organization is stable and didn't let the fans and media run that guy out of town. I'll see you in Canton eli when I go with my wife and father in law to see you inducted with your bust. How many rings will you have by then? And all with the Giants.

Colts fans need to be patient with Luck and pray the organization will be as well. The fact the owner loves him as a player will only help.

The one thing you said in this post that is NOT A GIVEN is Eli may not play out his playing time with the Giants. Who knows what could happen. We thought Peyton would retire a COLT but didn't happen. :sigh:

The one thing you said in this post that is NOT A GIVEN is Eli may not play out his playing time with the Giants. Who knows what could happen. We thought Peyton would retire a COLT but didn't happen. :sigh:

Injuries can change things on a dime. But I would guess if Peyton hadn't gotten hurt he would have been a Colt until he retired.

If they both want this and they both are all emotional...then what is the problem. I just don't get it.

Makes very little sense when you think of it that way - if they both want it to happen, then whats in the way? Seriously if that were the case, then I am sure they could work something out. The fact that they are going to apparently part ways tells me this is about one the cash and not emotions.

Makes very little sense when you think of it that way - if they both want it to happen, then whats in the way? Seriously if that were the case, then I am sure they could work something out. The fact that they are going to apparently part ways tells me this is about one the cash and not emotions.

I am glad as fans we don't have to know the details. There are so many possibilites - Peyton take a pay cut but want guaranteed starting job - or Peyton won't take the pay cut (which I don't thin he should have to) or Peyton also asks nicely to be released..saying hey Irsay you are re-building, let me get another shot at the title.

After math of this lies solely on the hands of Manning and Irsay, meaning if there was dirt - please we don't want to know.

Whereever Peyton ends up - I want him to to win more. I don't care if he wins 2-3 more SB - he is a COLT and will retire a COLT.

I wonder if it isn't about Peyton at all, but how the new staff is going to overhaul the team and what that means short term about Manning's ability to have success here during the turnover? IOW, They could have worked it out for Peyton to stay, but his staying wasn't going to derail the rebuild process Irsay feels must happen in the interest of the franchise. It is there they found mutual feeling that maybe it is better for each to move on. And despite it being the best career and business decision for them, it is still hard to come to grips with for both. Other than that, I got nothing.

Yet Luck isn't the reason Peyton is leaving like some say. :???:

I dont agree with that...is a set of circunstances taht includes luck.

let me ask you this, if we had the #3 pick do you think we would be having this presser today?

I dont agree with that...is a set of circunstances taht includes luck.

let me ask you this, if we had the #3 pick do you think we would be having this presser today?

Not a chance. Not even with the #2 pick and RG3 staring us in the face. This was about Irsay's feelings for Luck.

This is hitting a lot of people hard.

the Colts have so many vets.....they become part of the city....

Manning was the Babe Ruth of Indianapolis football..

That is the truth. Peyton will be missed, and deserves an enormous statue outside LOS.

Saw the video, and it seems that both are taking it pretty hard. Irsay didn't really talk and Peyton looked like he was trying to cover his sadness up. He had short answers, and he kept saying the same thing. He looked a little shaken up.

They were both sad..

Irsay thinks he's doing the right thing for both of them....but I'm afraid he's wrong...

I just wish he had said that weeks ago. Irsay fooled me. He said Manning can come back if he wants to.

He fooled me.

Maybe it's not cash at all but the direction Irsay wants to take the team and all the new coaching staff that Peyton has decided he would rather play on a team that can be a contender now and not later. I guess we will find out pretty soon.

Injuries can change things on a dime. But I would guess if Peyton hadn't gotten hurt he would have been a Colt until he retired.

It was a collision of circumstances...the perfect storm..

I know that Irsay wants what's best for his team and he really does like Peyton...

Its just a sad end to an era....

I am glad as fans we don't have to know the details.

Personally I would like to know all of the details that way I'd be in a better position to understand exactly whats going on and be better able to place blame if any is due. I've been saying its about Money despite what they say and all because of the CAP hit ...

After the presser it seemed as if this was Irsay wanting to see Manning get another SB before he is done and not thinking its going to happen here in Indy - maybe that was all politics, either way it doesn't matter hes gone now. If its going to be ugly here the next few years I wouldnt mind seeing him in Houston - they are ready to win a SB and Manning if 100% can lead them there.

Personally I would like to know all of the details that way I'd be in a better position to understand exactly whats going on and be better able to place blame if any is due. I've been saying its about Money despite what they say and all because of the CAP hit ... after the presser it seemed as if this was Irsay wanting to see Manning get another SB before he is done and not thinking its going to happen here in Indy - maybe that was all politics, either way it doesn't matter hes gone now. If its going to be ugly here the next few years I wouldnt mind seeing him in Houston - they are ready to win a SB and Manning if 100% can lead them there.

I doubt we get every detail, but you can read between the lines.

Manning

• Wouldn't want to babysit his replacement.
  • Would prefer the draft pick traded or used on someone that will play immediately.
  • Wouldn't want to deal with the influx of the new Luck fans calling for his head if he throws an interception(a lot of good acting in this thread by the way for some).

Irsay

• Luck will likely play longer than Manning will
  • Doesn't want to stunt the growth of Luck
  • Cash
  • Cap
  • Control of his franchise

It was a perfect storm that forced this issue. Injury, Worst coach in the NFL, Worst Starting QB in the NFL failing to replace the best QB in the NFL, recent poor drafts. High dollar contract, Due date. A lot of variables.

Some say that if the Colts had the 3rd or 5th pick, then all would be well. Manning would return, etc. I don't see that. I would see Irsay throwing away future #1's to move up to get him, if Painter would have managed to win a few of the games that he should have.

It will be odd watching Manning over the next few years as the Colts struggle breaking in a new QB.

I doubt we get every detail, but you can read between the lines.

Manning

• Wouldn't want to babysit his replacement.
  • Would prefer the draft pick traded or used on someone that will play immediately.
  • Wouldn't want to deal with the influx of the new Luck fans calling for his head if he throws an interception(a lot of good acting in this thread by the way for some).

Irsay

• Luck will likely play longer than Manning will
  • Doesn't want to stunt the growth of Luck
  • Cash
  • Cap
  • Control of his franchise

It was a perfect storm that forced this issue. Injury, Worst coach in the NFL, Worst Starting QB in the NFL failing to replace the best QB in the NFL, recent poor drafts. High dollar contract, Due date. A lot of variables.

Some say that if the Colts had the 3rd or 5th pick, then all would be well. Manning would return, etc. I don't see that. I would see Irsay throwing away future #1's to move up to get him, if Painter would have managed to win a few of the games that he should have.

It will be odd watching Manning over the next few years as the Colts struggle breaking in a new QB.

Well put FJC....a perfect storm indeed...