Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clayton Geathers likely to start season on PUP List

TKnight24

I truly think we need ONE additional, viable safety to go with what we have

Geathers to me..... is an injury prone player......  Not proven to stay on the field.

He cant be counted upon

Neck, Knee, Some other, yet to be named, body part....

Farley is ok...... not bad, not great..... to me, not the long term answer at Safety

Tre Boston.......  C'mon down, he could do ok in either safety position (IMHO)

The checking account is full......... 

Did I also mention that we need to also upgrade the LB position..... :)

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I truly think we need ONE additional, viable safety to go with what we have

Geathers to me..... is an injury prone player......  Not proven to stay on the field.

He cant be counted upon

Neck, Knee, Some other, yet to be named, body part....

Farley is ok...... not bad, not great..... to me, not the long term answer at Safety

Tre Boston.......  C'mon down, he could do ok in either safety position (IMHO)

The checking account is full......... 

Did I also mention that we need to also upgrade the LB position..... :)

We can trade for Earl Thomas :)

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not surprisingly at all. I wonder when Hooker will join him?

That’s what the guy who used to work for the Colts that now works for 1070 was speculating yesterday.  The Colts have some good safeties if they can ever be healthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s what the guy who used to work for the Colts that now works for 1070 was speculating yesterday.  The Colts have some good safeties if they can ever be healthy.

On paper, I like them and they compliment each other well.

But unfortunately, we don't play games on paper AND it may be rare seeing them on field together. Much more so because of Geathers ability to be healthy.

12 hours ago, Savage said:

Bob Sanders Jr 2.0

From an injury stand point ......yes.

From a play stand point .......nope (I think you would agree)

For some reason, the injury bug just seems to follow certain players

Some players just seem to be on the injury list, more than others.......

That is Geathers

WHEN he played, he was an average player on a horrible defense

He stood out...... not because he was an ALL pro........ but because he was 

a little better than those around him

IMHO, you give Bob Sanders a chance, because he played at an ALL PRO level when on the field........   

BUT....... counting on Geathers to be on the field for most downs (Which is what is needed) and not the IR, is taking a chance we dont need to make.

We are short on quality depth at Safety (and CB, and ...... did I mention :) .......LB)

But someone like Boston, who APPEARS to be able to play both safety positions, and play at a high level........  is a no-brainer

I think we have 12 Zillion in cap space........ there is an available player........

Hmmmmm...........

IMHO, we dont really need an All Pro to be signed (it would be nice)

We just need an additional player at S, LB, and at CB.

Someone who doesnt embarras the orginization when on the field.

If (WHEN) we lose ONE starter at S and CB we are in trouble.......

(As it sits today)

At LB we dont even have the starters figured out........  the chance for extremely poor play at LB is very high.... from the "starters"

Though not fantastic, I truly believe that we have adequate depth, including up and coming rookies, and starter matierial at

OL, QB, RB, TE, WR, and DL

CB, S, and LB....... not so much 

I hope that we pick up some talent, at these 3 spots, before the season 

• Like 2

Outside of TJ Green and Farley there are players like Ronald Martin, Chris Cooper, George Odum. Not many people here know these guys but from my film studies they appear to be pretty good players. We may take a look at what we have there before we sign anybody. Just a hunch because we haven't made many moves to address.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, krunk said:

Outside of TJ Green and Farley there are players like Ronald Martin, Chris Cooper, George Odum. Not many people here know these guys but from my film studies they appear to be pretty good players. We may take a look at what we have there before we sign anybody. Just a hunch because we haven't made many moves to address.

I hope you are right, and these guys can cut it 

Farley is a decent depth player who can start for the Colts......... I actually think he will be the starter day one as Geathers struggles through injury

Green is a joke. All the speed in the world, his nickname should be O.I.P.

"out of position".......... he wont last camp IMHO

But from the list     :

Martin has made one assisted tackle in 3 years in NFL

Cooper played at tiny Stonybrook college and is an UDFA

Odum looks interesting, as he seems to have some talent, but he also is an UDFA that the NFL passed on

These 3 are double A players in baseball, that you develop for the long run....... not this year

Hopefully one of them beats the odds and plays lights out......  it COULD happen......... but, the odds are long against it....... Lottery odds (we all won last week right? :)  I was only off 5 numbers)

As we sit today, we may see them on the field to actually play  ...... They arent ready

We had people that were out of football, that couldnt make ANY NFL rostor actually come in and start at OL last year......  With predictable results..... 

I hope that isnt the case THIS year

I like how much this team has improved....... (At least on paper)

I just hope we make some additional steps

Deano

22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope you are right, and these guys can cut it 

Farley is a decent depth player who can start for the Colts......... I actually think he will be the starter day one as Geathers struggles through injury

Green is a joke. All the speed in the world, his nickname should be O.I.P.

"out of position".......... he wont last camp IMHO

But from the list     :

Martin has made one assisted tackle in 3 years in NFL

Cooper played at tiny Stonybrook college and is an UDFA

Odum looks interesting, as he seems to have some talent, but he also is an UDFA that the NFL passed on

These 3 are double A players in baseball, that you develop for the long run....... not this year

Hopefully one of them beats the odds and plays lights out

As we sit today, we may see them on the field to actually play  ...... They arent ready

We had people that were out of football, that couldnt make ANY NFL rostor actually come in and start at OL last year......  With predictable results..... 

I hope that isnt the case THIS year

I like how much this team has improved....... (At least on paper)

I just hope we make some additional steps

Deano

I didnt/don't really look at where they came from. I look at traits and whether they can play ball.  And specifically in the scheme we play. Sometimes it can take a player to be on a team or two. In some stops the player may not have been given a shot to compete or they may be a poor scheme fit or what not. What were Farleys stats before we got him? Not much to speak of but he played good ball for us for example.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

I didnt/don't really look at where they came from. I look at traits and whether they can play ball.  And specifically in the scheme we play. Sometimes it can take a player to be on a team or two. In some stops the player may not have been given a shot to compete or they may be a poor scheme fit or what not. What were Farleys stats before we got him? Not much to speak of but he played good ball for us for example.

You are 100% correct, there has been a few players who have zero past stats, and then contribute at a high level. 

I think you would also agree that the odds are very much against us, in getting an unknown, passed- over-by-rest-of-NFL player to actually contribute at a high level is few and far between

You probably wouldnt bet $1k on it.... right?

In my VERY humble opinion........ and my opinion is worth a paltry $.02

Overall........ There are some positions on the team that we have improved.

Actually most.... again....IMHO

There are 3 that need to have some attention........ CB, S, and LB

We have the cash....... we dont need an All-pro........ just 3 dudes that can play at an average level

Its a low bar  :)

Deano

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

You are 100% correct, there has been a few players who have zero past stats, and then contribute at a high level. 

I think you would also agree that the odds are very much against us, in getting an unknown, passed- over-by-rest-of-NFL player to actually contribute at a high level is few and far between

You probably wouldnt bet $1k on it.... right?

No need for me to bet. The moves or lack of moves we have made are based on what the staff sees behind the scenes on the practice field. They don't base their decision s on odds making. They base it on what's in front of their eyes. That tells them everything they need to know. I think they may trust what they see. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

No need for me to bet. The moves or lack of moves we have made are based on what the staff sees behind the scenes on the practice field. They don't base their decision s on odds making. They base it on what's in front of their eyes. That tells them everything they need to know. I think they may trust what they see. I could be wrong.

Im only wrong 98% of the time...... ask my wife :)

I think they may just be waiting to see how good or bad the current team is before they make any more moves...... we will see

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Im only wrong 98% of the time...... ask my wife :)

I think they may just be waiting to see how good or bad the current team is before they make any more moves...... we will see

I agree. They said they liked what they had in the secondary the whole OTA so I think they have some guys they trust and will make changes from there if necessary. One thing I've seen with zone schemes is you don't necessarily have to have that known guy. I remember years ago when Dungy/Polian brought in Monte ReAgor we were all like WHO? Also guys like Nick Harper, Melvin Bullitt.

• Like 1