Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our OL coach.....

needanoline63

53 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

it is all part of the conspiracy by Bob Kraft, Hoodie, The GPOAT and the McDaniels.  Hire coaches who suck to get back at the colts for deflategate.  :peek:

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

He can't be any worse than Philbin.

Right? 

Where as I get the humor, Philbin was not terrible like many would try and say.  He does have a very complex scheme for the line but he also had to deal with bad talent.  AC was the only consistent with the line.  Kelly was hurt, Mewhort was hurt, projects all over the right side. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Where as I get the humor, Philbin was not terrible like many would try and say.  He does have a very complex scheme for the line but he also had to deal with bad talent.  AC was the only consistent with the line.  Kelly was hurt, Mewhort was hurt, projects all over the right side. 

Disagree. While he didn't have much talent to work with, I don't think he got anything more out of the players he did have. 

He also was the one who told Ballard to draft Zach Banner, so there's that. 

For example I don't think Reich is going to allow Deguglielmo to rotate O linemen in and out in waves like they do on the defensive line for example.   I doubt Reich wants that done.  That in itself to me is something that could cause protection issues.  Continuity is what is needed on the OL.  Same group of guys playing together.   I doubt he brings that from NE to Indy.

14 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Disagree. While he didn't have much talent to work with, I don't think he got anything more out of the players he did have. 

Hey you got me on the Zach Banner thing lol.  I do remember that.

As bad as some players looked I will say he did have some minor successes.  Good was looking decent at RT before injury.  Haeg has held his own at RT for the most part. 

On May 3, 2018 at 12:29 PM, sreeb2deeni said:

Well he has some potent pieces to coach up this time.

Two All-American linemen in the draft this year, plus Kelly coming back.

Can't wait to see them just manhandle people at the line of scrimmage.

There is something to be said for having above average to superior talent. Guys like Kelly & Nelson as you say sb2i. 

I know there's the old adage that the best coordinators or coaches can get the most out of mediocre talent, but let's be honest, you're only as good as the caliber of the students you teach. I agree with you. We finally have a GM who knows that protecting Luck is our only hope to longterm success. 

People like to believe that the best mentors can carry their pupils or athletes to amazing heights based on technique alone, but the truth is, the ability to process a ton of information quickly coupled with good coaching usually means that a team's about to take a major leap forward. 

I don't care what industry a person is in: Law, music, construction, demolition, or coaching. You are only as good as the people who surround you & the quality of the clay you get to mold. Yeah, Nelson is gonna be fascinating to watch. 

• Like 1

On May 3, 2018 at 10:54 AM, needanoline63 said:

LOL! If this article was supposed to inspire our fanbase or at least put our fears at bay, it sure didn't achieve that. Man, talk about depressing. 

I remember that 2013 AFC Championship Game vs the Broncos. Brady was running for his life & his pocket was atrocious. And to think that this nightmare OL might be coming to INDY? Uh oh...Say it ain't so nl63. 

I'll give Dave a chance, but it's a very short leash. 

On May 3, 2018 at 1:37 PM, krunk said:

For example I don't think Reich is going to allow Deguglielmo to rotate O linemen in and out in waves like they do on the defensive line for example.   I doubt Reich wants that done.  That in itself to me is something that could cause protection issues.  Continuity is what is needed on the OL.  Same group of guys playing together.   I doubt he brings that from NE to Indy.

Well said Krunk. When I heard about this crazy notion of rotating linemen, I was like dear God no! This is a sick joke right? Pass rushers can be rotated as a game progresses. Guys keeping Luck upright--Not so much. LOL! 

Reminds me of when Chip Kelly was coaching the Eagles & he had this insane idea of making his linemen have accelerated snaps etc. By the 3rd quarter, all his big dogs up front were exhausted & completely spent. 

On 5/3/2018 at 2:23 PM, lollygagger8 said:

Is it confirmed that he told Ballard to draft Banner? It could be the other way around. Philbin could have been the one to tell Ballard to cut Banner. I honestly don't have a clue as to either scenario.

On 5/3/2018 at 12:03 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

hey the pats still made the playoffs and went to superbowls with that so called bad ol coach so lets rollll:rock:

Not to mention, they have kept Brady upright enough to be a legitimate MVP candidate at 40+ years old.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2018 at 11:55 PM, ColtJ82 said:

Is it confirmed that he told Ballard to draft Banner? It could be the other way around. Philbin could have been the one to tell Ballard to cut Banner. I honestly don't have a clue as to either scenario.

Yes, that's the scenario that has been widely accepted. 

• Like 1