Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

No, the key words are '14 over .500'

With a 25-11 record, you what, 'throw' the last 46 games

Refuse to play?  Go 0-46

..and even then, you're 25-57 and others draft ahead of you.

It wasn't an option

they could have gathered assets and traded up into the lottery. the pacers have always stayed the course and its never got them a championship either

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they could have gathered assets and traded up into the lottery. the pacers have always stayed the course and its never got them a championship either

It wasn't an option when we were 25-11. It didn't make sense.

You can say we should tank the next 3 or 4 seasons

But you cant tank at 25-11.

Its not a real thought

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

110-106 final

and as of now, we have 6 players (Oladipo, Turner, Sabonis, Holiday, Leaf,  and Sumner) under contract...

What do we do ?

That says a lot. Gave him a multi year deal.

He wasn't ready for the playoffs

This was a pretty awful off-season. Tyreke Evans ended up as a bust (outside a few moments in the playoffs) and Doug McDermott just did not live up to his contract. 

As much as I liked the promise of Aaron Holiday, he definitely needs some work. His defense was pretty awful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MTC said:

This was a pretty awful off-season. Tyreke Evans ended up as a bust (outside a few moments in the playoffs) and Doug McDermott just did not live up to his contract. 

As much as I liked the promise of Aaron Holiday, he definitely needs some work. His defense was pretty awful. 

Did AH play much today?

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

It wasn't an option when we were 25-11. It didn't make sense.

You can say we should tank the next 3 or 4 seasons

But you cant tank at 25-11.

Its not a real thought

sure you can, 25 wins isnt a lot for a season.  we would not have made it to #1, but they could have traded expiring players too

instead they chose to keep them as though we were going to make some kind of run this year

This is going to be a challenging offseason. They need to make some talent upgrades while maintaining good team chemistry. That's easier said than done.

I still hate when Bird started to move away from the defensive/physical style of 2013-2014 to more of what we see now. I know it's the trend now but I think a conference finals appearance is the ceiling for the current trajectory of the team.

15 hours ago, MTC said:

I think I am more disappointed with how Turner played this season.  I had hoped that with Dipo out, Turner would turn it up a notch and show us some of what most of us thought he was capable of.   We really didn't see it.   We may have to assume 13 points, 7 rebounds is what he is.   He did get nearly a block more per game than last year.   

image.png.4a21e21e4645086cbca88a009fdf14b5.png 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think I am more disappointed with how Turner played this season.  I had hoped that with Dipo out, Turner would turn it up a notch and show us some of what most of us thought he was capable of.   We really didn't see it.   We may have to assume 13 points, 7 rebounds is what he is.   He did get nearly a block more per game than last year.   

image.png.4a21e21e4645086cbca88a009fdf14b5.png 

That is what happens when Turner spends his time hanging around the 3 point line when he should be in the paint.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pacers will be fine next season with Oladipo healthy. 

Yes at playing Indiana ball but that don't win championships without another top 20 talented player on the roster. To be competitive it takes more than one play maker on the team.

Simon is going to have to spend some serious money before the Pacers have a chance at winning a title.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is what happens when Turner spends his time hanging around the 3 point line when he should be in the paint.

Very disappointing.  The silver lining with Dipo going out was that we may be able to see what Turners potential is.   Most Pacers fans have been claiming he was young and could be a 15 and 10 guy.   He was a 13 and 7 player this season and may have reached his ceiling.   Don't get me wrong, he is a good player to have on the court, but it shows we need Dipo and another playmaker in order for the team to get deep into the playoffs.

I will say that I was pretty happy with how the team came together and played well without Dipo this season.   We won 48 games with Dipo last year and 48 games without him this year.   That makes it hard to guess how many more games we would have won with him.   I suspect a few more but not 10.      

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Myles said:

Very disappointing.  The silver lining with Dipo going out was that we may be able to see what Turners potential is.   Most Pacers fans have been claiming he was young and could be a 15 and 10 guy.   He was a 13 and 7 player this season and may have reached his ceiling.   Don't get me wrong, he is a good player to have on the court, but it shows we need Dipo and another playmaker in order for the team to get deep into the playoffs.

I will say that I was pretty happy with how the team came together and played well without Dipo this season.   We won 48 games with Dipo last year and 48 games without him this year.   That makes it hard to guess how many more games we would have won with him.   I suspect a few more but not 10.      

I'd love to see the Pacers add Kemba Walker.  I think he'll re-sign in Charlotte, but him and Oladipo would be really fun to watch.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

Why do you sit DM and TJ

Doug was very good late in the season bit he was totally ineffective in the 3 games he played..

..He seemed scared...and I dont know why.

I'd have played Leaf a little more. We ran Thad Young into the ground.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Myles gets dominated in the paint on offense..He gets pushed around.He has no post game at all.'    Hes a center defensively and a forward offensively.

Its always been his problem.  He's just not strong.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes at playing Indiana ball but that don't win championships without another top 20 talented player on the roster. To be competitive it takes more than one play maker on the team.

Simon is going to have to spend some serious money before the Pacers have a chance at winning a title.

Spend money on who?

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Doug was very good late in the season bit he was totally ineffective in the 3 games he played..

..He seemed scared...and I dont know why.

I'd have played Leaf a little more. We ran Thad Young into the ground.

I would had played them If nothing more than as a rest

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Myles gets dominated in the paint on offense..He gets pushed around.He has no post game at all.'    Hes a center defensively and a forward offensively.

Spend money on who?

MT is an European style Big

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:40 PM, aaron11 said:

sure you can, 25 wins isnt a lot for a season.  we would not have made it to #1, but they could have traded expiring players too

instead they chose to keep them as though we were going to make some kind of run this year

Trade expiring contracts for who?  Second round choices?

You cant get anything for unsigned players

You cant just quit at mid-season when you are the '3' seed.

That was never an option. You could not have explained it to the fans or the remaining players. . 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

MT is an European style Big

That's a very good assessment of him.

We need a true power forward to start along side him.

Sabonis is a center

Thad Young has given us about everything he can but I don't know how we keep him and get better

• Like 1

Sabonis need to learn to shoot the '3 or at lead mid-range 2s.

Watching parts of games again.

Boston double teamed him when he was in the low post and they let him shoot jump shots.

They just let him shoot from 15-25 feet out

Another issue:

Its also likely that Victor will not be ready for the start of the 2019-2020 season.

and he may struggle like Gordon Hayward did much of next year

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Spend money on who?

I really don't have anybody in mind because I don't know who might be available. I don't follow the NBA very much. I am a Pacers fan and that is who I follow.

IMO till Simon opens up his pocketbook having another play maker is just a dream.

I don't like the idea on paying the NBA their so called luxury tax. IMO it's been one huge money grab.

Saying that I want to see the Pacers win. Zero championships hurt more than my dislike for what the NBA has become for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You cant just quit at mid-season. That was never an option

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

So true

The fan base in Indiana would no doubt dwindle.

Most the Pacers fan base want to see effort, not a team that lays down.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. I dont think we can tank like the 76ers did...and just ashcan four seasons.

..and that's just not the kind of team I'd care about very long.

But we are in a tough spot right now. I agree.

We have a lot of 30-something players who are free agents.

It might be time to let ALL of them go elsewhere rather than sign contracts that would expire when they are in their mid-30s.

Kemba Walker would be great for us. We'd be contenders to win the East.

..and we'd be a playoff team even if Vic cant return to form next year..

But its not up to our management to convince him.. We can only offer him so much.

He's got to want to play here and I have absolutely no idea if he does

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 2

Tanking was never an option for people that think it was. We were 25-11 when Victor got injured, even at that point if you tank we still would've won around 40 games. Yeah we would've been in the lottery but probably still picking outside of the top 10. 

Seems Turner gets a lot of the blame when we lose from Pacers fans because his numbers are 13 and 7 which by the way aren't great or very good (so I agree there) but are good. What is overlooked is his defense, he lead the league in Blocks. Without his defense, we go from a very good defensive team to an average defensive team.

With a healthy Victor, we would've won 53 or 54 games IMO and been a 3 seed. We still won 48 with him missing half the season. I am not sure why so many people are down on this team. Take anyone's best player away and they don't do squat in the playoffs either. 

I would go after Kemba Walker and re-sign Bogey and Thad. Let Collison, Evans, Joseph, Mathews walk to free up that money. Holiday can be a back PG next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Exactly. I dont think we can tank like the 76ers did...and just ashcan four seasons.

..and that's just not the kind of team I'd care about very long.

But we are in a tough spot right now. I agree.

We have a lot of 30-something players who are free agents.

It might be time to let ALL of them go elsewhere rather than sign contracts that would expire when they are in their mid-30s.

Kemba Walker would be great for us. We'd be contenders to win the East.

..and we'd be a playoff team even if Vic cant return to form next year..

But its not up to our management to convince him.. We can only offer him so much.

He's got to want to play here and I have absolutely no idea if he does

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tanking was never an option for people that think it was. We were 25-11 when Victor got injured, even at that point if you tank we still would've won around 40 games. Yeah we would've been in the lottery but probably still picking outside of the top 10. 

Seems Turner gets a lot of the blame when we lose from Pacers fans because his numbers are 13 and 7 which by the way aren't great or very good (so I agree there) but are good. What is overlooked is his defense, he lead the league in Blocks. Without his defense, we go from a very good defensive team to an average defensive team.

With a healthy Victor, we would've won 53 or 54 games IMO and been a 3 seed. We still won 48 with him missing half the season. I am not sure why so many people are down on this team. Take anyone's best player away and they don't do squat in the playoffs either. 

I would go after Kemba Walker and re-sign Bogey and Thad. Let Collison, Evans, Joseph, Mathews walk to free up that money. Holiday can be a back PG next year.

The NBA changed the Lottery process to “prevent” tanking and the Lottery doesn’t always work to the benefit of the bottom teams

In the last WNBA draft the Fever had the highest chance for the 1st Pick but they picked 3rd and therefore Princeton’s own is now playing for LV instead of staying home 

• Like 2