Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tanking was never an option for people that think it was. We were 25-11 when Victor got injured, even at that point if you tank we still would've won around 40 games. Yeah we would've been in the lottery but probably still picking outside of the top 10. 

Seems Turner gets a lot of the blame when we lose from Pacers fans because his numbers are 13 and 7 which by the way aren't great or very good (so I agree there) but are good. What is overlooked is his defense, he lead the league in Blocks. Without his defense, we go from a very good defensive team to an average defensive team.

With a healthy Victor, we would've won 53 or 54 games IMO and been a 3 seed. We still won 48 with him missing half the season. I am not sure why so many people are down on this team. Take anyone's best player away and they don't do squat in the playoffs either. 

I would go after Kemba Walker and re-sign Bogey and Thad. Let Collison, Evans, Joseph, Mathews walk to free up that money. Holiday can be a back PG next year.

I agree.

The Myles Turner situation has changed.  He doesn't get blame.

He's ours. He's our guy. He's just got to get better and now he has 4 years to do it.

That dunk he had in game 4.

Why cant he put the ball on the floor and go to the basket. What stops him?

I talk about him because he clearly has the most untapped potential of anyone we have.

But he's never scored more than 13-14 points a game and I don't know why.

Sabonis should never average more points than Myles in my mind.

Thad Young is pivotal. If he wants to come back, we give him the $15-$18 mil.

He guards everybody and the other players all look up to him .

Bogdonavic is the shooter we need more of and the gap between him and McDermott is much larger than I thought it was at the star of the year.

But if we cant get a 20 ppg scorer, we may push Leaf and Sumner and Holiday into the rotation next year and we may fall back a little..

The big deal will be what happens In New Orleans with Davis and in Golden State with Durant and in Charlotte with Kemba.

If they move, the teams that get them will have to release some quality players.

That would be where we come in..

..also there's some shooters in the draft. We need one.

Purdue's Carsen Edwards?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Al Horford vs. Giannis will be very interesting.

Hayward playing with the second team just killed us....

…..If he scores 20 a game, can Milwaukee still win?

Both teams are very talented. Before the season started I had the Celtics in the finals but I am not sure without HCA they can beat the Bucks? I see it going 7 and down to the wire. 

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Trade expiring contracts for who?  Second round choices?

You cant get anything for unsigned players

You cant just quit at mid-season when you are the '3' seed.

That was never an option. You could not have explained it to the fans or the remaining players. . 

we could have got something for BB and sabonis.  that along with our pick would have been enough to move up pretty high.

use that pick on a wing and we are probably better overall and younger.  

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

we could have got something for BB and sabonis.  that along with our pick would have been enough to move up pretty high.

use that pick on a wing and we are probably better overall and younger.  

Sabonis don't need to go no where. Not at his age.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Absolutely..Sabonis was our second leading scorer and leading rebounder.

Cant plan for the future without him

Sabonis…and .Myles,  both 23..That's our next 5-10 years

When Vic got hurt at the time he did..we had no options but to play it out....

But now we have a re-do chance..in fact..we have no choice but to re-do 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Damian Lillard is filthy. 

Better check his blood temp...he might be cold blooded. 

Amazing shot.....37 feet?  And he planned it....

I thought for sure hed drive on PG because Paul had 5 fouls....

But OKC was up 15.....How can you lose that?

I feel bad for OKC..They are locked into that team. They cant make moves

..and in the end...it looks like all four of the top seeds in both conference advance to the quarterfinals.  We need/needed home court

• Like 1

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

he doesnt need to go but his age and talent means he has trade value.  i like him, but we probably could have moved him for something too

I think we should trade Sabonis and Doug along with the 18th pick and move up between picks 5-9. We can draft a player like Deandre Hunter Nassir Little Cam Reddish or Cody White maybe Culver if he’s still on the board. I like Sabonis but he is a liability on the defensive end. Plus Myles has more upside but we aren’t utilizing Myles in the best way possible. Which falls on Nate and his terrible offensive schemes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

I think we should trade Sabonis and Doug along with the 18th pick and move up between picks 5-9. We can draft a player like Deandre Hunter Nassir Little Cam Reddish or Cody White maybe Culver if he’s still on the board. I like Sabonis but he is a liability on the defensive end. Plus Myles has more upside but we aren’t utilizing Myles in the best way possible. Which falls on Nate and his terrible offensive schemes

A liability on defense?

The whole NBA is a defensive liability.

8 hours ago, runthepost said:

Were not trading our second leading scorer and No.1 rebounder. Wont happen

. If we trade Sabonis or Myles with 7 free agents unsigned, we are starting over …...

….Sabonis is hardly a liability on defense..He just isn't a '4'

He needs to be confident on open face-the-basket shots

Myles has no post moves and cant put the ball on the floor. He is not a '5' on offense. But they are our core..They have other skills

Its not the coaches fault...when young players cant do everything

5 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

One reason I struggle to watch an entire NBA game

I understand that, PT.

I love the NBA but the rules don't let you play defense anymore.

Touch fouls on shooters are 3 free throws... Offensive players jump into the defender and get the call.. Stars carry the ball and travel with it all the time..

Its why I like the Pacers and Nate McMillan..We put a lot of effort into the defense most nights

Some teams...playoff teams..dont really try 100% on defense..they just try to outscore you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Were not trading our second leading scorer and No.1 rebounder. Wont happen

. If we trade Sabonis or Myles with 7 free agents unsigned, we are starting over …...

….Sabonis is hardly a liability on defense..He just isn't a '4'

He needs to be confident on open face-the-basket shots

Myles has no post moves and cant put the ball on the floor. He is not a '5' on offense. But they are our core..They have other skills

Its not the coaches fault...when young players cant do everything

We aren’t starting over we would be retooling the team to have a chase to contend. If we bring everyone back and trout out the same team as this year we will be a 5th seed or worse next year. Not sure what your watching Myles can put the ball on the floor. He doesn’t put the ball on the floor enough and it’s a different game now. Traditional bigs are becoming extinct because the game is about pace and space and 3 point shooting. Myles made 39% of his threes this year he needs to be shooting 5 to 6 a game like Brook Lopez.

Pace and space is the reason why I say trade Sabonis because you can draft a  highly rated 3 and D wing and sign Boogie at the 3 then sign Tobias as the 4. 

We can still fill the roster with good players who fit the scheme.

14 hours ago, runthepost said:

It's not the Pacers "MO" to do that.   It's good and bad.   They put a competitive team on the floor every year, which is great.   Fans get to see their team make the playoffs each year.   Unfortunately we also know that they really don't have a shot at the title.   Unless forced to (Paul George) they are not going to make big trades.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's not the Pacers "MO" to do that.   It's good and bad.   They put a competitive team on the floor every year, which is great.   Fans get to see their team make the playoffs each year.   Unfortunately we also know that they really don't have a shot at the title.   Unless forced to (Paul George) they are not going to make big trades.   

It’s true we rather make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round than retool and be contenders. Plus our owner likes to be in the playoffs with no chance to win.

15 minutes ago, runthepost said:

It’s true we rather make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round than retool and be contenders. Plus our owner likes to be in the playoffs with no chance to win.

I don't think that is true.  The team is usually 1 star player away from competing for a title.  Next season, with Dipo back, they will again be 1 star player away from competing for a title.  Small market teams like Indy have a huge obstacle to hurdle.   Trading for a star player is not easy.   In the NBA, the star player can pretty much dictate where he does not want to go.   Either that or the Pacers would only get them for 1 year. 

I would like to see the Pacers "leak" stuff to the media.   Like - The Pacers are interested in Anthony Davis.   Even if they are not, it would get airtime on radio and TV sports talk shows.   They would talk about how the Pacers may only be 1 star player away from being a contender.   I think media coverage has allot of impact on where star players consider going.  

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think that is true.  The team is usually 1 star player away from competing for a title.  Next season, with Dipo back, they will again be 1 star player away from competing for a title.  Small market teams like Indy have a huge obstacle to hurdle.   Trading for a star player is not easy.   In the NBA, the star player can pretty much dictate where he does not want to go.   Either that or the Pacers would only get them for 1 year. 

I would like to see the Pacers "leak" stuff to the media.   Like - The Pacers are interested in Anthony Davis.   Even if they are not, it would get airtime on radio and TV sports talk shows.   They would talk about how the Pacers may only be 1 star player away from being a contender.   I think media coverage has allot of impact on where star players consider going.  

Only reason I said that is because having 2 star players for us will only work if our owner is fine with going into the luxury tax. We have never done that before. 

We will have 50M in free agency to spend this year and we can make a completely different team with signing and resigning the right players

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Myles said:

That's the all-true-story.

We could not throw games for 3 or 4 years on the hopes that we get Ben Simmons and Joel Embid.  I dont want to be 'that' team.

I'll take my 'lottery ticket' every year

..and I think most fans agree with that philosophy.

I know I do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

That's the all-true-story.

We could not throw games for 3 or 4 years on the hopes that we get Ben Simmons and Joel Embid.  I dont want to be 'that' team.

I'll take my 'lottery ticket' every year

..and I think most fans agree with that philosophy.

I know I do

Yep.  I am with you.

It shows a flaw in the NBA system.   I'll take making the playoffs every year and hoping we hit on a draft pick over tanking for several years.  However, if they are bArely the 8th seed and know they will lose in the 1st round, I will root for them to lose and be in the lottery.

I think one thing everyone can agree on is, if an owner is willing to go over the cap and pay the luxury tax than a championship can happen, if not, it probably will not happen. I love our team though and the way we run things. We are always good but just not good enough unfortunately. I still feel bad for Reggie Miller because he deserved at least 1 ring. We had Chicago beat in 1998 but it was Jordan (ECFinals) and in 2005 the brawl happened. In 2000 we were just overmatched going against Shaq and Kobe without HCA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think one thing everyone can agree on is, if an owner is willing to go over the cap and pay the luxury tax than a championship can happen, if not, it probably will not happen. I love our team though and the way we run things. We are always good but just not good enough unfortunately. I still feel bad for Reggie Miller because he deserved at least 1 ring. We had Chicago beat in 1998 but it was Jordan (ECFinals) and in 2005 the brawl happened. In 2000 we were just overmatched going against Shaq and Kobe without HCA.

We might be looking at that soon..

Kemba Walker can get a 4-year deal for 140 mil  ...$35 mil a year.

That's the most anybody outside of Charlotte can pay him.

But its counter productive to go there if we dont resign Thad Young and Bogdonavich and both of them are going to get a deal in the $15-$20 mil range.

And if we want to win the East, we would then need to resign Cory Joseph at $8 to $10 mil.

Myles is at $18 and Sabonis has to be resigned after next year.

And we'd have to add another shooter like JJ Reddick.  Wed be over ther cap.

Signing someon elike Kemba (and he is a perfect fit for what we need) sends us down a road where we cant financially turn back.

But we cant just resign the present roster and expect to get better

Are we ready? Has this team shown enough that we (meaning management) are/is willing to pay the cost to be the boss?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We might be looking at that soon..

Kemba Walker can get a 4-year deal for 140 mil  ...$35 mi a year.

That's the most anybody outside of Charlotte can pay him.

But its counter productive to go there if we dont resign Thad Young and Bogdonavich and both of them are going to get a deal in the $15-$20 mil range.

And if we want to win the East, we would then need to resign Cory Joseph at $8 to $10 mil.

Myles is at $18 and Sabonis has top be resigned after next year.

And we'd have to add another shooter like JJ Reddick.  Wed be over ther cap.

Are we ready? Has this team shown enough that we are willing to pay the cost to be the boss?

If we added Walker and just re-signed Bogey and Thad to go with Dipo, Turner, and Sabonis I would roll with that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Boston made that look easy.

WE could not stop Kyrie..neither can Milwaukee

..and Al Horford defensed our centers..and he holds up against Giannis.

WE could play a little bit at the slow pace Boston likes....Milwaukee cant..

Bucks obviously have to win four of the next six and I'm not seeing that at all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

WE could not stop Kyrie..neither can Milwaukee

..and Al Horford defensed our centers..and he holds up against Giannis.

WE could play a little bit at the slow pace Boston likes....Milwaukee cant..

Bucks obviously have to win four of the next six and I'm not seeing that at all

Boston in 6 IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Boston in 6 IMO

Sure looks like it.

Maybe I forgot how Boston (basically this same team, adding Heyward and Kyrie and subtracting Smart) kept finding a way to get through each game and each series last season..

...The Boston team thaty everybody said they have at the start of THIS year is the team they now seem to have