Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 - 2019 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:56 AM, Myles said:

I'm torn on it.   In the NBA draft, more than any other sport, the players at the first 1-4 spots are more of a sure thing.  At least the lottery could combat tanking a bit.   Imagine how high the value in losing games at the end of the season would be if 3 teams were all close to having the worst record in the league.  

Why has this never been considered.?

Have the draft order be:  The 14 non playoff teams with the BEST record after the all-star break.

The two best non playoff teams after the all-star break flip for the top spot.

The next two beat non playoff teams after the break flip for the 3rd spot...and so on.

Again..we're only counting the record AFTER the all-star break.

That way, teams would be incentivised to WIN even if they were out of the playoffs

Does that idea make any sense?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Why has this never been considered.?

Have the draft order be:  The 14 non playoff teams with the BEST record after the all-star break.

The two best non playoff teams after the all-star break flip for the top spot.

The next two beat non playoff teams after the break flip for the 3rd spot...and so on.

Again..we're only counting the record AFTER the all-star break.

That way, teams would be incentivised to WIN even if they were out of the playoffs

Does that idea make any sense?

I think it does.   Maybe needs some tweeking.   

On 5/19/2019 at 10:36 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NorthernBlue, huge win tonight. Whoever wins Game 4 will win the series IMO. I had Raps in 7.

Series is taking years off my life. Lots of people are saying we were lucky to win despite Giannis shooting poorly. Thing is, Raptors have been the better team in 2 of 3 games so far. Kawhi is defending Giannis really well, putting Siakam on Bledsoe was a great adjustment. Marc finally stepped up and was aggressive. Siakam looked like his pre calf injury self. Game 4 is huge. If we lose, we’re cooked, but I have confidence they’ll win it tonight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Series is taking years off my life. Lots of people are saying we were lucky to win despite Giannis shooting poorly. Thing is, Raptors have been the better team in 2 of 3 games so far. Kawhi is defending Giannis really well, putting Siakam on Bledsoe was a great adjustment. Marc finally stepped up and was aggressive. Siakam looked like his pre calf injury self. Game 4 is huge. If we lose, we’re cooked, but I have confidence they’ll win it tonight.

NB;

I came into the series thinking Toronto is the better team but the results haven't show that until Tuesday.

Brooke Lopez and Niko Mirotic ..George Hill?

We love Hill in Indy but he's never done what he's doing for the Bucks.

Marc Gasol is a great player..I dont know why he was so shy and hesitant in the first two games.

Player for player..Toronto should be winning

On 5/21/2019 at 11:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One concerning thing is Leonard is gimpy. 

On 5/22/2019 at 1:34 AM, oldunclemark said:

NB;

I came into the series thinking Toronto is the better team but the results haven't show that until Tuesday.

Brooke Lopez and Niko Mirotic ..George Hill?

We love Hill in Indy but he's never done what he's doing for the Bucks.

Marc Gasol is a great player..I dont know why he was so shy and hesitant in the first two games.

Player for player..Toronto should be winning

Gonna be so hard for us to win one in their building with Kawhi not at 100%. Luckily Siakam finally looked like his attacking self in game 3. Hopefully he can find that again in game 5. Lowry needs to keep up his play as does Gasol. I don’t know what to expect from the bench but as long as they don’t get ripped to shreds, that’s all I ask. Oh and it would be very welcome if Danny Green could return from his vacation at brick island haha (although he’s been solid defensively I think) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Leonard is a beast, Raps about to win the East. That slam was a Jordan type slam! 87-79 with 646 left in the 4th.

Leonard is quietly a top-5 guy in the NBA in my opinion. His defense on Giannis was absolutely amazing. He averaged 31 and 8 in the playoffs on almost 51% from the field. To be honest, if I were starting a team, he'd be my #1 pick just due to how good he is offensively and defensively. 

• Like 1

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

Leonard is quietly a top-5 guy in the NBA in my opinion. His defense on Giannis was absolutely amazing. He averaged 31 and 8 in the playoffs on almost 51% from the field. To be honest, if I were starting a team, he'd be my #1 pick just due to how good he is offensively and defensively. 

I agree. He may be the best player in the league, I think he has an argument for it. LeBron isn't 2016 LeBron anymore, Durant is great but the Warriors are winning without him. Curry is in that discussion too but none of them play D like Leonard does.

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Its going to be hard for Milwaukee to recover from a confidence standpoint when they get back in the playoffs in 2020..

..they need a little more than Miko Mirotic and Brooke Lopez

With Bledsoe and Middleton they don't have much head room financially to add anyone else. Mitrotic is likely gone and probably Lopez too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

With Bledsoe and Middleton they don't have much head room financially to add anyone else. Mitrotic is likely gone and probably Lopez too. 

Lopez is a good player. Lakers made a huge mistake not bringing him back. He would've meshed well with LeBron. Bucks will still be tough to beat next year with Giannis. Big question is, will Leonard stay or leave the Raptors? That will destroy the Raps if he leaves.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. He may be the best player in the league, I think he has an argument for it. LeBron isn't 2016 LeBron anymore, Durant is great but the Warriors are winning without him. Curry is in that discussion too but none of them play D like Leonard does.

Lebron hasn't legitimately played defense in 10 years and while I think Durant's offense is as good as it gets, Kawhi being that good on both sides is so enjoyable to watch. There is NO WAY Toronto makes it out of the first round, let alone makes it to the Finals, without Kawhi. I really hope he stays in Toronto for the next 4 or 5 years because I enjoy him being in the East. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lopez is a good player. Lakers made a huge mistake not bringing him back. He would've meshed well with LeBron. Bucks will still be tough to beat next year with Giannis. Big question is, will Leonard stay or leave the Raptors? That will destroy the Raps if he leaves.

I don't think Lopez fits the style the West plays with how they run the court. He fits the slower tempo teams out here in the East. Giannis is still getting better and growing, but I think these last 4 games with Kawhi guarding him, shows how much more he has to get better. He's got to get better off the dribble and start trusting his mid-range shot. I liked that he was aggressive at attacking the rim, but as soon as he got in the paint he looked lost. If he develops a consistent 10-15 foot shot he'll be deadly. Bucks will still be good but I don't see them winning 60 again next year. 

Toronto will be at best a .500 team next year if Kawhi walks. I hope he stays and helps keep the East a little stronger. 

7 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Lebron hasn't legitimately played defense in 10 years and while I think Durant's offense is as good as it gets, Kawhi being that good on both sides is so enjoyable to watch. There is NO WAY Toronto makes it out of the first round, let alone makes it to the Finals, without Kawhi. I really hope he stays in Toronto for the next 4 or 5 years because I enjoy him being in the East. 

I have never really considered LeBron a great defensive player, he just has played great in spurts on D over the years. Making big plays at times, etc.. I think right now Durant is the most un-guardable player because of his length, post up ability, and he can shoot 3's. He also is a much better FT shooter than LeBron is. Leonard is probably the best all-around player though. His offense and defensive game really has no weaknesses I can see. Curry is in this discussion because the guy shoots 30 footers like they are lay-ups. He is a deadly weapon to have and he wears down defenses by running around constantly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I don't think Lopez fits the style the West plays with how they run the court. He fits the slower tempo teams out here in the East. Giannis is still getting better and growing, but I think these last 4 games with Kawhi guarding him, shows how much more he has to get better. He's got to get better off the dribble and start trusting his mid-range shot. I liked that he was aggressive at attacking the rim, but as soon as he got in the paint he looked lost. If he develops a consistent 10-15 foot shot he'll be deadly. Bucks will still be good but I don't see them winning 60 again next year. 

Toronto will be at best a .500 team next year if Kawhi walks. I hope he stays and helps keep the East a little stronger. 

One thing is if the Bucks lose him that will be a big loss for them. He does many things well including shooting the 3.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

True..and they have a problem....because this team, as successful as it was, was thrown together with guys like Hill and Lopez and Mirotic...

….Those are admirable veterans but they are limited players.

The Bucks have to keep Middleton so, you're right, others have to move on..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

The thing about Kawhi is.

He gives you absolutely no indication of what he likes or wants.

If he stayed in Toronto, I would not be surprised.

If he left Toronto, I also would not be surprised.

..and he changes his ways

Remember, he refused to play hurt for San Antonio last year when they badly needed him

This year, he played the entire east finals on one leg.

I would like to see him go to the Lakers just to get him out of the East

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The thing about Kawhi is.

He gives you absolutely no indication of what he likes or wants.

If he stayed in Toronto, I would not be surprised.

If he left Toronto, I also would not be surprised.

..and he changes his ways

Remember, he refused to play hurt for San Antonio last year when they badly needed him

This year, he played the entire east finals on one leg.

I would like to see him go to the Lakers just to get him out of the East

I agree. Kawhi has long been a player that's hard to read. I feel like there are a lot of NBA players that make their intentions well known, and you can almost predict what move they're going to make. While you might not guess the team they'll go to, you can pretty accurately estimate whether or not they're going to stay or leave in free agency. With Kawhi, it's a mystery.

With the run that they're on, I could see him tempted to stay, however, I'm sure if he chose to leave, he'd choose a team he feels like he could go on a very similar run with. Nothing about him screams absolute loyalty to Toronto, but you never know. He's just very tough to get a read on.

I'm all about the East being competitive, but yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing him go back West.

Kawhi is a great basketball player... but more importantly he's a "fun guy" :lol:

I CANNOT wait for the Finals.. Warriors 5th time in a row to the finals and are FINALLY meeting their 2nd team there lol

I see warriors in 6. 2 scenarios. Both getting Durant back at home.

1. Warriors win 1, lose 2, go home pick up Durant take 3, 4, drop 5 close, close out Oracle and 2019 in 6.

2. Toronto takes both games 1, 2. Warriors go up pick up Durant and sweep the final 4 games. Durant still the hero the Gotham deserves. 

I'll be interested in seeing if Lowry disappears like he's known to do in the playoffs. I'm actually semi-impressed at the job he's done so far...even with the 0 point game he had.lol

I can see Toronto taking 2 games...can't fathom more than that though.

Even though the Warriors have played great without Durant, it is all about matchups. In a series like this vs Toronto, Durant will be missed because he would matchup against Leonard. They would offset one another, without Durant playing I see Leonard having a huge series. Remember Toronto has HCA as well so this will be a good series. So if Durant doesn't play this will not be a sweep or a Warriors in 5 type of series. Am I dumb enough to pick against the Warriors, no but I see this going at least 6 tough games. I pick Warriors in 6 because I still think the combo of Curry and Thompson will trump what Leonard does. Green is really the X factor, if he plays well the Raptors will be in trouble as the series goes on and I think he will. The Warriors are also playing for history so they are super hungry. They want to be remembered as one of the greatest teams ever. By 3-Peating they can do so. Only the Bulls from 1991-93 with Jordan, Pippen, Grant + 1996-98 with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and the Lakers from 2000-02 with Shaq, Kobe, and Horry have 3-Peated since the ABA/NBA merger happened before the 1977 season. 

I am treating this as if Durant isn't going to play.

• Like 1

Sooo the Warriors are finally playing their 2nd team in the finals as this is their 5th in a row.. that's crazy!

Even crazier.. First finals without Lebron since 2011 :mindblow:.. I can't even remember the 2010 finals. who's Kobe? Celtics had a big three? Let me go check out a history book.

Lol Luke Walton was playing..

Curry was a rookie..

The Warriors record did a complete 180

Dang. .2010 I was 19 years old, not married, no children, no schooling, hadn't even bought my first car (which is almost a clunker now) 

Just wow, what an incredible run for Lebron, it is now officially over

Could the Warriors actually lose this and not get their precious 3-Peat? If the Raps go up 2-0 that will make it real interesting and fun to watch. Kobe, Shaq, Horry, Fish, and Phil have to be like hell yeah haha . They want to be the last team to be remembered 3-Peating back in 2002. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could the Warriors actually lose this and not get their precious 3-Peat? If the Raps go up 2-0 that will make it real interesting and fun to watch. Kobe, Shaq, Horry, Fish, and Phil have to be like hell yeah haha . They want to be the last team to be remembered 3-Peating back in 2002. 

I think the Raptors just upped their chances at winning it all to a 30% chance.

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Raptors defense since game 2 of the Bucks series has been outstanding.  They have the weapons and the defense to make this an extremely hard series on GS, even with Durant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah they have to win Game 2 as well. If they win Game 2, I will give them a 50% chance then.

Looks like we are on the same page.    Sometimes it is like the Warriors need challenged to get motivated and then they kick it into high gear and VROOM!

23 hours ago, Myles said:

So if the Pacers wanted to, would they have any chance to sign Durant, Leonard or Davis?

They have a good team without one of them and would be a championship contender with one of them.   

So I am just kind of bumping this because I was curious on how people felt.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Myles said:

So if the Pacers wanted to, would they have any chance to sign Durant, Leonard or Davis?

The have a good team without one of them and would be a championship contender with one of them.   

I think Durant is going to NY per many ESPN sources, Davis will get traded to LA for possibly Ingram, Kuzma, and their #4 (just a rumor), and hard telling what Leonard will do. This experience in Toronto and being loved the way he is now may make him want to stay there.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Durant is going to NY per many ESPN sources, Davis will get traded to LA for possibly Ingram, Kuzma, and their #4 (just a rumor), and hard telling what Leonard will do. This experience in Toronto and being loved the way he is now may make him want to stay there.

So if the Pacers would be interested, Durant would still choose a poor Knicks team over a championship contending Pacer team?

I totally agree.   It's what a small market has to deal with.  Especially one who is well run and makes the playoffs almost every year.