Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Future of Colts Cornerback position

chad72

Do you guys think Ballard might bring in Dominique Rodgers Cromartie or a Jeremy Lane for help with the Cornerback position for a short term deal? Or do you think he will restrict himself to exclusively the ones he has on the roster plus UDFAs?

He did claim Pierre Desir off the waivers after being released by the Seahawks, later in the season in September last year, didn't he? Hence wondering.

I think we are looking at all of this the wrong way 

What is the purpose/job of a CB? The same as a LB.

Limit the yards allowed. It's as simple as that.

Traditionally, LBs have done so against the run and the CBs have done so against the pass.

But we live in untraditional times and thus, given the talent on the draft, we will likely use untraditional methods to do so.

I envision us using our Mike and Wills to take away the middle, the underneath, and the flats with CBs and Safeties taking away the posts and the deep field.

Given the talent and skillset of LBs we just drafted, they all have one thing in common: they have speed and above average agility, who bodes well for the jobs that will be asked of them.

The goal is to limit yards and points.

You can do it either using All Pro CBs or using the team/scheme approach.

Given our talent at CB, I suspect it will be the latter.

If I was putting money on it I would say that the Colts make some wavier claims but don't sign proven veterans like DRC or Jeremy Lane.

If the Colts did sign a veteran CB I don't think it would be DRC. He is 32 years old and I don't think the Colts are going to sign a CB that old. I could potentially see them signing Lane if they do decide to bring a more proven veteran in.

• Like 1

We brought in Aker and DJ White both from KC and both starting experience. We have Q Desir Hairston Moore and Milton from last season when Ballard overhauled the secondary. He will be on the look out as always but he may want to see the development of the guys he's already brought in 

• Like 1

I think that with a faster defense, we may get to the quarterback more. This will help out our secondary a lot. 

I would also like to note our defense will most likely not be very good. If it is, it will be, at best, 15th in total defense, which ironically would be so good we’d probably make the playoffs. It all depends on how our players develop. 

6 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We brought in Aker and DJ White both from KC and both starting experience. We have Q Desir Hairston Moore and Milton from last season when Ballard overhauled the secondary. He will be on the look out as always but he may want to see the development of the guys he's already brought in 

White played in the loss to Denver he was awful.

5 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

White played in the loss to Denver he was awful.

New coaches new system you never know what a new year may bring. If he continues to be awful he'll be gone. Moore is the guy I want to see this year He was a camp star in NE last year. I think we can expect Q and Hairston to be improved hopefully Desir's development continues. Ballard will have an eye out Desir and Moore were both snagged off PS's last year. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

He will probably grab a few guys off waivers when cuts start happening. We are up near the top of the pecking order this year.

Good point.  As long as Dorsey and Gettleman dont beat us to the punch.  Cleveland still has cash to spend too.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's a vote for Breeland....

Yeah. We have the cap space, and the price right now could probably be pretty low with his injury, and the fact that it’s caused issues with him landing anywhere else. Even Washington said they don’t want him back. 

Which is also a reason for concern. It’s kind of a risk signing him. 

• Like 1

We’re definitely going to add someone, but as other have stated, I don’t think it will happen before teams are to trim their roster down to 53. We will then either get a decent vet or - more likely - snag a nice prospect that someone tries to hide on the practice squad.

The only concern is that this was a weak CB class draft, so there wont be as much CB shuffling around as we would have liked.