Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4 Quarterbacks and a Running Back

For whatever it's worth....

The strongest rumor about the Giants (and that's all it is right now, a rumor) is that the only quarterback the Giants are interested in is Darnold.

That they'll take Darnold if he's there...  but if he's not, then they'll turn to Chubb or Barkley or trading back...

Again...   just a rumor...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The strongest rumor about the Giants (and that's all it is right now, a rumor) is that the only quarterback the Giants are interested in is Darnold.

That they'll take Darnold if he's there...  but if he's not, then they'll turn to Chubb or Barkley or trading back...

^^^  a strong one too  ^^^

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

NYG could trade to #1 if CLE likes Allen.

How would either one know this to be a safe trade to make?  They aren't going to share that info with each other. 

The only way that i see that working out is if the Browns have an equal grade on either of them and that seems unlikely.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

^^^  a strong one too  ^^^

Yeah, it's reaching the point in the draft process where I am starting to believe some of the rumors out there including this one.

• Like 2

I still think the Giants would be crazy not to take a QB here knowing that Eli is on his last legs. I think they take the plunge and grab their future QB at #2. They will be able to groom him for a year or so under Eli’s tutelage. Perfect scenario. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yeah, it's reaching the point in the draft process where I am starting to believe some of the rumors out there including this one.

Gettleman is closed up like a clam on his draft status, so it is speculation. But nothing else has even come close to leaking out about the #2 pick in the draft.

3 hours ago, Hoose said:

I still think the Giants would be crazy not to take a QB here knowing that Eli is on his last legs. I think they take the plunge and grab their future QB at #2. They will be able to groom him for a year or so under Eli’s tutelage. Perfect scenario. 

History shows that not all 4 of the top QB's will become franchise level, let alone the guys drafted later I the Mettenbergs, Mannion's, Glennon's, Savage's etc... of the draft).

GM's don't sit back read mocks from around the internet, and decide if the QB they scouted, interviewed, did background checks on, watch tons of tape on, and decided he was 'their guy' and fits 'their system', then you don't take one from the leftover bin that may well fizzle rather than sizzle, especially when there are potential 'Gold Jacket (Gettleman own quote) players on the board.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/27/dave-gettleman-seeking-generational-player-with-second-pick/

• Like 1

Louis Riddick is saying he thinks the Giants are going with Barkley.   Says there is major love in that building for Saquon.  Riddick interviewed for the Giants GM position I believe this year and has relationships there.  Anyways this is his take:

“I have a feeling that there is a strong, strong, strong sentiment within that building for Saquon Barkley, based upon my experience there, if you know what I mean,’’ Riddick said Monday on a conference call.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/ex-giants-gm-option-hints-he-knows-about-no-2-pick-plans/

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

Louis Riddick is saying he thinks the Giants are going with Barkley.   Says there is major love in that building for Saquon.  Riddick interviewed for the Giants GM position I believe this year and has relationships there.  Anyways this is his take:

“I have a feeling that there is a strong, strong, strong sentiment within that building for Saquon Barkley, based upon my experience there, if you know what I mean,’’ Riddick said Monday on a conference call.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/ex-giants-gm-option-hints-he-knows-about-no-2-pick-plans/

Supposedly, it depends upon if Gettleman has 'a guy' in the QB pack, and if that guy makes it to #2, he may pull the trigger on that one.  Schefter says Gettleman has been closed up and tight with any info getting to those could spilll the beans.  He might also let a nugget or two 'slip' to throw more confusion into the mix.  Can't trust anybody or anything at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Supposedly, it depends upon if Gettleman has 'a guy' in the QB pack, and if that guy makes it to #2, he may pull the trigger on that one.  Schefter says Gettleman has been closed up and tight with any info getting to those could spilll the beans.  He might also let a nugget or two 'slip' to throw more confusion into the mix.  Can't trust anybody or anything at this point.

I still think QB, but that Gold Jacket comment makes sense.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If they want Darnold, they can get him. All it would take is telling Darnold that he is the NYG's QB of the future. And unless he hasn't been watching the NFL for the past decade, Darnold will kindly let CLE know that he doesn't want to play there. Worked out pretty well for the last NYG QB that did that.

Regardless, I am 99% sure they are taking a QB. This is their chance to get one...and I just can't see them passing it up. They can still take one more shot at it this season with Eli while that QB sits for a year. It's not like Chubb or Barkley would necessarily be the difference between winning and losing next season...that will largely come down to Eli. If he has some magic left in him and the NYG are an 8-8 or better team, then they are no longer in a position to get a QB next year and Eli is one year closer to retirement. If Eli bombs, then it is clear he is done and they have their franchise QB ready to take over. Either way, they are set up nicely going forward.

I think if they weren't going to draft a QB, they would have traded back now with teams being so aggressive...to give them ample time to scout additional picks and give Eli an even stronger vote of confidence. They need cheap talent as much as any team...and I couldn't imagine they would pass up a trade back to take the top non-QB in this draft.

The fact that no one seems to know what they are doing is a testament to their FO being well-run. Seems like Gettleman and Ballard have something in common when it comes to information getting out.

I know the Giant fans are very fond of Eli, And he had to deal with a week line and not much of a run game but, If you look at a lot of his games last year, he would go down very easily in the pocket without much pressure. I would see him go down sometimes if a defensive player barely brushed by him. I really think the Giants are missing a great opportunity if they stay at #2 and don't get a franchise  QB this year in the draft at that pick. If the Giants were already loaded to make a run at going deep in the play offs i could  see passing on a QB but time is not on Eli's side in a 2 or more year window.

Darnold is, to me, the only QB the Giants will take at 2. I don't think they like the boom or bust project Allen is, the durability issues Rosen has, especially since they had Eli, who didn't miss a game, outside of organizational stupidity, and I don't see Mayfield as a fit either. So, I see the Giants taking Darnold if he's there or either Chubb or Barkley.