Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line Take Two.....

Scott Pennock

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm an advocate that Mewhort could be slid out to RT if it makes sense and play well.  When we did that before, he was moved back not because of his own bad play but because the other guys we had  on the inside where getting Luck killed. 

So say we draft Nelson

Castanzo - Nelson - Kelly - Slauson - Mewhort

Haeg and Good can be our primary backups.  

My question is. . . say Kelly goes down.  Do you rotate Slauson over to center and put Haeg or Good in at RG or do you put Bond in for Kelly and roll?

I would say there is no way Mewhort is going to be put in as the starter at RT.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I would say there is no way Mewhort is going to be put in as the starter at RT.

Why not?  He did a fine job of it before.  He got moved back because the guys we had playing guard where getting Luck killed.  And it's easier for a QB to evade pressure from the edge then it is from the center.  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 3:02 PM, bananabucket said:

The starters are kinda okay if healthy (big if).  Not too comfortable with Good at RT but he's not god awful either.  I might prefer Haeg to start there, but I don't mind him in the Joe Reitz "plug in anywhere but center" depth role.

I expect 2 OL within our first 5 picks.

I completely agree

On 3/22/2018 at 11:03 AM, BProland85 said:

If Chubb isn't there you gotta take the best player available even if it's Nelson or Barkley. 

Its very safe to say there will be at least 3 QB's taken in the first 5 picks, Maybe 4. That said we will no doubt have at least Nelson, Chubb or Barkley at 6. All elite players 

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, MackAttack said:

We're leaving day 1 with Nelson book it!

I hope so. That's the best outcome. 

The thing is, though, that if Chubb, Barkley and Nelson are all gone in the first five picks, that leaves either Allen or Mayfield there for the taking for a QB hungry team. The Colts would likely have some seriously tempting offers to consider. I can see a trade in that scenario, but only if Chubb and Nelson are already taken. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why not?  He did a fine job of it before.  He got moved back because the guys we had playing guard where getting Luck killed.  And it's easier for a QB to evade pressure from the edge then it is from the center.  

Hmmm, well, I have a different recollection, thinking the move to RT was a disaster and he should never have been moved from LG.  Maybe I am wrong, but yup, I thought it was a mistake when they did it and the line was a shambles. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 1:53 PM, rockywoj said:

Hmmm, well, I have a different recollection, thinking the move to RT was a disaster and he should never have been moved from LG.  Maybe I am wrong, but yup, I thought it was a mistake when they did it and the line was a shambles. 

Line was in shambles because of the guy they replaced him with.  If I remember right he allowed 0 sacks at right tackle during the regular season.  

Now to be fair I don't think RT is necessarily where his ceiling is.  But if you draft Nelson and you want to get your best 5 men on OL then Mewhort can play RT.  

On 3/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Does everyone believe this to be a servicable line, especially with a change in offensive philosophy?

LT - Castonzo

LG - Slauson (0 sacks allowed last year)

C - Kelly

RG - Mewhort

RT - Good? (CB had great praise for him last year)

Depth:

T - Burwell

T/G - Clark

T/G - Haeg

G - Glowinski

C - Fabiano

C - Bond

Drafted Rookie Tackle

Drafted Rookie Guard

I think that line would be bottom half of the league.  That would be an improvement on last year, but not good by any means.   Depth would be slim as well.   

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 1:51 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Does everyone believe this to be a servicable line, especially with a change in offensive philosophy?

LT - Castonzo

LG - Slauson (0 sacks allowed last year)

C - Kelly

RG - Mewhort

RT - Good? (CB had great praise for him last year)

hard to say, because 4 of the 5 are coming off injury.

if mewhort is really back to form then i would put him back at left guard and move slauson to rg.  thats a pretty big if

Good is interesting at RT, but i feel like every time we thought he was about to break out he got hurt.  im not sure our RT is on the team yet 

On 3/21/2018 at 10:39 PM, NDcolt said:

A Generational QB who got completely anihilated during his brief tenure & is still trying to come back from an injury that some say is career threatening & were actually arguing what our priorities in the draft may be?  AS IS, Ryan Kelly is the only player that would start on 31 other teams & let’s not forget the terrible yr AC had at LT. If our first 3 picks are not OL, you all should be worried.  Fool me once...

I guess I missed AC's terrible year??:facepalm:

On 3/21/2018 at 12:54 PM, Aaron86 said:

I think with our new scheme will pay dividends for our o-line. I always felt they played better in the up tempo. I could be wrong because i don't have the stats.

no you are right. I noticed it as well. Luck and the offense seemed to flourish in the no huddle, which always made me wonder why they would go into a huddle when one thing was working. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I would be shocked if Barkley fell to 6.  Nelson might be there though if Chubb isn't.

I think Denver will grab Nelson at 5.  They’re as hungry for OG as the Colts.  I’m guessing Barkley goes top 5. That leaves us Chubb, or a trade.

5 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I think Denver will grab Nelson at 5.  They’re as hungry for OG as the Colts.  I’m guessing Barkley goes top 5. That leaves us Chubb, or a trade.

I honestly don't think Chubb makes it out of the top 5 either. I have a feeling if the browns go Barkley # 1, the Giants will go Chubb # 2. BUT I also have a feeling if Chubb falls to # 4 , the browns will snag him. just my opinion is all. 

Cle - Darnold

NYG - Barkley 

NYJ - Allen / Rosen

Cle - Chubb - I think they pair him up with Garrett on the DLine

Den - Rosen / Nelson 

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

I honestly don't think Chubb makes it out of the top 5 either. I have a feeling if the browns go Barkley # 1, the Giants will go Chubb # 2. BUT I also have a feeling if Chubb falls to # 4 , the browns will snag him. just my opinion is all. 

Cle - Darnold

NYG - Barkley 

NYJ - Allen / Rosen

Cle - Chubb - I think they pair him up with Garrett on the DLine

Den - Rosen / Nelson 

The first three picks will be QBs. It will be four in a row if Cleveland trades back, but I expect them to take Barkley. 

Denver will then have the choice of the 4th best QB or Chubb/Nelson. Either way, one of Chubb or Nelson will be there.  

16 hours ago, Deadpool said:

no you are right. I noticed it as well. Luck and the offense seemed to flourish in the no huddle, which always made me wonder why they would go into a huddle when one thing was working. 

I think alot of people did not realize either Chuck was stubborn and or could not move on from what was not working. I think you have to give Andrew the reigns and let him take control. I know alot think Grigs tied Chuck's hands but I also think he could not see what was right before his eyes. I'm almost positive alot of our comebacks and wins came from when Andrew had the reigns and went up tempo.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 1:56 PM, DraftMaster said:

LT-Castonzo

LG-Slauson

C-Kelly

RG-Mewhort

RT-Rookie (rd 2 pick)

I really like Quenton Nelson but these FA signings are making it seem less likely...

not really what if Nelson goes #4 or #5 before the Colts can draft him. You gotta be prepared in the event you can't draft Nelson so hence the FA signings. It would be much different if the draft was before free agency!