Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lance Zierlein: There are at least two teams that want that pick(#3) to pick Josh Allen

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

This forum is starting to fall in love with a few top players.  As if the draft will be a failure if we don't get one. That's bad.

There's nothing wrong with picking #12, as long as you get a bunch of other draft picks with it.

Come the week after the draft, we'll forget about the top tier guys and will be talking about all of the good guys we got in rounds 2 through 4 and maybe a few draft picks next year.

If yoiu think this forum will magically forget the top players we by-pass in order to trade back and get more picks,  I think you're kidding yourself.

The first time a high draft pick of the Colts,  1st or 2nd round,   doesn't get a lot of playing time in practice or pre-season,  there will be a meltdown over the guys we passed....      we could've had Chubb....   we could've had Nelson... we could've had Edmunds....    people will be crying here....     that's pretty much a stone lock guarantee...

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I would hope Ballard and Dorsey being friends wouldn't keep Ballard from leveraging that pick to its max. If the NYJ are offering their 2nd and 3rd round picks, I am not letting CLE have that pick for a 3rd round pick.

I can't wait to see Ballard manipulate all of this. I am really starting to come around on taking one of  Edmunds/Fitzpatrick/James and accumulating multiple extra day two picks. 

I don't mean to suggest that Ballard is going to give his good friend a home town discount.

But I'm not sure he'll put the screws to him to get every last ounce of trade value.    Some trades are easily made,  some are brutal battles. 

It's only one spot.   It makes the most sense to move back one spot and then shop from there....

Do the Cleveland deal and then shop again.      I confess I'm curious as Hell over who Ballard has his eyes on in the middle of the first round?

8 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I think you're reading too much into it. Predictions are predictions, they're not sure things. He might predict it on stuff he's heard, but that doesn't mean it's 100% true. A lot  can change between now and the draft. There are also two teams before us. My guess is that he's heard from sources, rather than Ballard himself. I doubt Ballard would "happily" trade back unless the haul is really good. He might be talking to other teams to see what he can get.

Look at my first post....

I said this is not a sure thing...     it's not a guarantee...

I said this is only a sign that Ballard is aggressively shopping the pick.    And telegraphing that he's serious about getting out of the third pick.      But it takes two,  and someone is going to have to step up and make him an offer he can't refuse.   

In the Zierlein scenario....    the Colts only move back one pick and STILL draft Chubb.     I'd be thrilled with that.

But the idea that we might trade back a 2nd time.....   and perhaps a good deal back,  is another idea altogether....

4 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

conceivably, what would it take to trade back to Buffalo's spot?

Both their first round picks and next year's 1st round pick... or both their picks this year in the first and both their second round picks? 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

If that is the case, I do not trade down any further than the #6 spot where we could still land Chubb or Nelson.

If that is the scenario, I assume the Browns would be taking Barkley at 1.  The Giants may then want to trade out, if not then the Browns have a lot of draft picks to trade in order to get Allen at 3, with the Colts moving to 4.  The Colts could then get Chubb at 4 and have extra picks.  This is assuming the scenario in the OP is accurate.

Edit:  I just went and looked at that draft.  If the draft falls that way, the Colts could do the trade with the Browns and then trade back again with either the Broncos or Jets and still have a very good shot at getting Chubb.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't mean to suggest that Ballard is going to give his good friend a home town discount.

But I'm not sure he'll put the screws to him to get every last ounce of trade value.    Some trades are easily made,  some are brutal battles. 

It's only one spot.   It makes the most sense to move back one spot and then shop from there....

Do the Cleveland deal and then shop again.      I confess I'm curious as Hell over who Ballard has his eyes on in the middle of the first round?

A second trade back would awesome. If you could somehow get CLE to swap spots for a day two pick, you are still in front of DEN and the NYJ...I would be talking to TB and MIA.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If yoiu think this forum will magically forget the top players we by-pass in order to trade back and get more picks,  I think you're kidding yourself.

The first time a high draft pick of the Colts,  1st or 2nd round,   doesn't get a lot of playing time in practice or pre-season,  there will be a meltdown over the guys we passed....      we could've had Chubb....   we could've had Nelson... we could've had Edmunds....    people will be crying here....     that's pretty much a stone lock guarantee...

Edmunds may end up being better than all of them. 

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Both their first round picks and next year's 1st round pick... or both their picks this year in the first and both their second round picks? 

So let's say you move back and get Buffalo's two firsts and two seconds. Would you try to move back up in the first, or just stay at #21 and #22?

3 hours ago, Superman said:

So let's say you move back and get Buffalo's two firsts and two seconds. Would you try to move back up in the first, or just stay at #21 and #22?

I guess it would depend on where to and for whom and how expensive it would be? I have limited number of players I would move up for. Chubb, Minkah, Derwin James, Edmunds, Roquan, Nelson, Maybe Landry... if one of those fell to 11-12 I would give up one of the Bills seconds to move up to get one of those.

I've been watching some 2016 Harold Landry tape and it has nothing in common with his 2017 tape. I don't know what to believe but his testing and his 2016 production suggests he can be elite prospect. If you believe his drop this year is due to his injury and if you believe his injury is behind him, it's hard to keep him out of that group above.