Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Source With Knowledge On The Manning Situation Has Said

betheafan41

according to CNNSI, a source who has knowlede on the manning situation has said there has been no talk about money reguardless of what irsay has said about the talks. now this could just be speculation and another tactic by the press to cause problems, but if its not, could this mean peyton is on his way out..... thoughts?

http://www.fannation...rs-with-manning

according to CNNSI, a source who has knowlede on the manning situation has said there has been no talk about money reguardless of what irsay has said about the talks. now this could just be speculation and another tactic by the press to cause problems, but if its not, could this mean peyton is on his way out..... thoughts?

Unnamed sources who allegedly have knowledge should raise your eyebrow.

I think it is more speculation, unless the source is identified and verified to be in a position to have such knowledge.

I don't remember any sources saying that any "talks" were about money. Not directly.

I mean actual discussions between the Irsay and manning camps.

Irsay made comments about "a contract which reflects the uncertainty.." and Condon said some things involving $, but I don't remember any "sources" saying that Irsay and manning had direct (between the two of them) discussions about money. Maybe I missed them, but i don't remember any specifically about $.

IMO, the statement that a contract that "reflects the uncertainty" by Jim Irsay says all that needs to be said about the possibility of a new contract with Peyton. Irsay spent 26 million last year in order that Peyton would be a Colt this year. In poker, it is known as throwing good money after bad. You make a bad bet, it happens. But to make another big bet in order to get back the money you lost on a bad bet is a very bad idea.

Jim Irsay says the new contract must reflect the uncertainty that Peyton may not be physically able to play, ie., cleared by the Colts doctors to take the field. It isn't difficult to understand Jim Irsay's reluctance to write a check without knowing what Peyton's physical ability to play QB at an NFL level is.

Would another NFL team sign Peyton to a significant contract without knowing whether Peyton is able to get back on the field? That dog won't hunt.

IMO, the statement that a contract that "reflects the uncertainty" by Jim Irsay says all that needs to be said about the possibility of a new contract with Peyton. Irsay spent 26 million last year in order that Peyton would be a Colt this year. In poker, it is known as throwing good money after bad. You make a bad bet, it happens. But to make another big bet in order to get back the money you lost on a bad bet is a very bad idea.

Jim Irsay says the new contract must reflect the uncertainty that Peyton may not be physically able to play, ie., cleared by the Colts doctors to take the field. It isn't difficult to understand Jim Irsay's reluctance to write a check without knowing what Peyton's physical ability to play QB at an NFL level is.

Would another NFL team sign Peyton to a significant contract without knowing whether Peyton is able to get back on the field? That dog won't hunt.

I agree with what you are saying.

There are a few teams that might take the chance tho just for the excitement it would bring and the tickets it would sell. Miami comes to mind. Starpower is the M.O.

Also, dan Snyder has never had a problem with spending BIG $ on taking a chance on a player. haynesworth immediately comes to mind. Sure, that wasn't a "health" issue, but still a big risk for the $ spent.

Can't wait for this whole thing to be over with. Every day, we get a new report from an "unnamed source close to the situation" with some info and now we don't know what's real and what's fake. Can't wait for March 8 when it'll all be figured out

It will be nice to be able to concentrate on the draft and the rest of the roster until the start of the season, and not have to go back and forth with this situation without getting anywhere.

Irsay pretty much let it slip in another interview (see draft section) that Luck is the pick.

Now as for Peyton, many now seem to think Irsay wants him back for ONE more season. A final victory lap so to speak. If Manning agrees to this remains to be seen.......

Manning might think thats an insult just to pave the way for one season before Luck's era emerges full time.

Or else I could be reading this badly and there is no time table for Peyton's playing with the Colts. Just get the feeling Irsay wants him to retire or not stick around too long.

Irsay pretty much let it slip in another interview (see draft section) that Luck is the pick.

Now as for Peyton, many now seem to think Irsay wants him back for ONE more season. A final victory lap so to speak. If Manning agrees to this remains to be seen.......

Manning might think thats an insult just to pave the way for one season before Luck's era emerges full time.

Or else I could be reading this badly and there is no time table for Peyton's playing with the Colts. Just get the feeling Irsay wants him to retire or not stick around too long.

Kravitz tweeted that Luck was willing to throw at the combine, but the Colts have told him only to throw on his pro day. Can you see any reason for that? It didn't make sense to me.

Of course it's an insult.

Kravitz tweeted that Luck was willing to throw at the combine, but the Colts have told him only to throw on his pro day. Can you see any reason for that? It didn't make sense to me.

first of all "TEAMS", not specifically the Colts, ADVISED him to not the throw until his pro day. he isn't forbidden from throwing if he still wants.

and I think that's why Peyton is going to go let me get this straight you want me to come back and take less money for a team that doesn't have a real shot for the Super Bowl to train the guy who is going to replace me and then just retire? Um thanks but no thanks.

That's why many have said this was a PR move by Irsay because it was. It takes some of the heat off Irsay because he's the one who is now saying hey Peyton you can come back if you want too and it's Peyton who is going to say no. Irsay is smart he knows Peyton isn't going to take that offer if that is what the Colts are offering.

With that said I am not sure Irsay is only going to offer a one year deal. Frankly I think they are going to talk and figure out what they want to do in terms of either parting ways (which is what I am betting on) or a new contract and then once they figure that out then talk money. So I don't read too much into the fact they aren't talking money right now.

Here's the tweet from Kravitz.

Bob Kravitz@bkravitz

Andrew Luck was willing to throw for teams (Colts) at the combine, but was told by teams (Colts) just to throw at pro day March 22.

right which probably means Luck asked the Colts do you want me to throw and they probably said we are fine if you want to throw at your pro-day it's two adults figureing out what is best for both. Luck can still say forget that I want to throw at the combine if he wants. I really doubt Irsay or Grigson and called Luck and said Hey Luck you aren't throwing till your pro-day got that?

Here's the tweet from Kravitz.

Bob Kravitz@bkravitz

Andrew Luck was willing to throw for teams (Colts) at the combine, but was told by teams (Colts) just to throw at pro day March 22.

advised. kravitz is full of it, as usual. why are you following his junk tweets and posting them as fact?

right which probably means Luck asked the Colts do you want me to throw and they probably said we are fine if you want to throw at your pro-day it's two adults figureing out what is best for both. Luck can still say forget that I want to throw at the combine if he wants. I really doubt Irsay or Grigson and called Luck and said Hey Luck you aren't throwing till your pro-day got that?

Which is why I was looking for clarification on that....don't appreciate someone (not you) saying that I was misleading people when I was asking for clarification on what Kravitz had tweeting and didn't say anything Kravitz's tweet didn't say.

peyton&eli misled you. the colts can't tell him anything, and they didn't.

They can tell him to do anything they want, whether he does at this point would be up to him.

He's ranked #1 at this point and could only hurt his draft standing with a poor showing. It shouldn't matter to the Colts since they can take him no matter what.

don't appreciate someone (not you) saying that I was misleading people when I was asking for clarification on what Kravitz had tweeting and didn't say anything Kravitz's tweet didn't say.

alright, calm down. where is the eye rolling emoticon? oh, there it is. :rollseyes:

Which is why I was looking for clarification on that....don't appreciate someone (not you) saying that I was misleading people when I was asking for clarification on what Kravitz had tweeting and didn't say anything Kravitz's tweet didn't say.

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is. Sometimes kids are coming off injuries and need more time to rehab, which is one reason I think Manning didn't workout at the combine way back when. Others go out there to try to improve their conditions, and others prefer the Campus workouts due to being able to control the session or what is done.

At the combine, he would be viewed vs. RGIII and everyone else, and since it seems the Colts mind is made up, they would likely prefer the prviate workouts as opposed to the chance he doesn't perform at the expected level. If that were to happen and RGIII throws and looks outstanding you will have a portion of the fan base switch sides.

I'm not sure why the Colts or other teams would ask him not to work out.

Irsay doesn't make decisions until the last possible minute so he can have the most amount of info prior to making. Those are his words.

My take...Irsay and Manning decided to go to Duke to get healthy and away from the press (SB and the Combine that will follow are in Indy). They are probably discussing his health, the twins, college hoops and I would guess LINSANITY. Everything but the contract and money. They are probably waiting until the last minute to see where Manning stands before negotiating.

The PR campaign was probably a way of letting everyone know that there has been no decision made.

I think Irsay is very careful with his words (becuase he probably reads these forums) and wants to make sure no one freaks out.

They can tell him to do anything they want, whether he does at this point would be up to him.

He's ranked #1 at this point and could only hurt his draft standing with a poor showing. It shouldn't matter to the Colts since they can take him no matter what.

I agree.

And Luck would be hounded and asked questions about peyton all week long by the media.

It would be a CIRCUS !

It would add fuel to an already fully burning "fire".

Irsay doesn't make decisions until the last possible minute so he can have the most amount of info prior to making. Those are his words.

My take...Irsay and Manning decided to go to Duke to get healthy and away from the press (SB and the Combine that will follow are in Indy). They are probably discussing his health, the twins, college hoops and I would guess LINSANITY. Everything but the contract and money. They are probably waiting until the last minute to see where Manning stands before negotiating.

The PR campaign was probably a way of letting everyone know that there has been no decision made.

I think Irsay is very careful with his words (becuase he probably reads these forums) and wants to make sure no one freaks out.

I'd agree with that for the most part, but I believe the main reason Manning went to Duke was to seek advice and guidance from a former coach he respects. Manning's been quiet since the Dr. Leak, but Irsay on the other hand has been full bore...

Just look at the facts... If Manning returns "all things staying the same" it will be a shock.

I agree.

And Luck would be hounded and asked questions about peyton all week long by the media.

It would be a CIRCUS !

It would add fuel to an already fully burning "fire".

Are you reading it as he's not attending the combine? I guess I saw it as he would be there to run, etc... but not throw. Maybe that's where I'm getting confused.

I'd agree with that for the most part, but I believe the main reason Manning went to Duke was to seek advice and guidance from a former coach he respects. Manning's been quiet since the Dr. Leak, but Irsay on the other hand has been full bore...

Peyton goes there every February for a visit, but this year probably had a particular importance.