Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blessing in disguise?

Lucky Colts Fan

It sucks that I'm typing this...

I'm an eternal optimist, and the Colts aren't mathematically eliminated yet, but I think we might officially be in "It's gonna take a miracle" territory after the game today.  There's just too much to be pessimistic about right now.

With the current state of the franchise--

giphy.gif

--maybe it is time to consider sitting some key players like Luck, Kelly, Geathers and Hooker and start getting ready for next year.  Let Chuck finish the season, it will probably help us get a high pick.  I'm thinking 3rd overall pick behind the only two teams we can beat, the Browns and 49ers.  And we barely beat them, while getting stomped and embarrassed by everyone else...

I don't know.  If we had won today, I would still have hope for this season, but I think the Jags taking our lunch money today might have been a blessing in disguise.  #Colts2018

You are certainly an optimist if you had hope for this season after hearing about the Andrew Luck setback/Cortizone shot that followed our loss to the Titans (who were playing with a very limited Mariota). This season is over. If we play like it isn't we are going to get other players injured. It is sad, but it is true.

#1 pick is not out of the question.

- Colts lose out. (Luck is not even close and it would make sense to sit him if he's not healthy before week 12)

- SF beats NYG, plus an additional game (SF has lost several close games)

- NYG eek out a win in their remaining schedule. (this should happen)

- CLE (which played TENN tough today, PITT tough in week1) improve and manage 2 wins down the stretch.

Colts have #1 (SoS is likely to work out in favor of Colts this year if the 4 are tied at 2-14).  This is not that far fetched given how bad the Colts have looked recently.

10 hours ago, ponyboy said:

- Colts lose out. (Luck is not even close and it would make sense to sit him if he's not healthy before week 12)

- CLE (which played TENN tough today, PITT tough in week1) improve and manage 2 wins down the stretch.

Colts have #1 (SoS is likely to work out in favor of Colts this year if the 4 are tied at 2-14).  This is not that far fetched given how bad the Colts have looked recently.

The Browns would get the #1 overall pick over us if we both end up 2-14 since we already beat them.

Weird shake up in the AFC would be Giants get a high draft pick in the Top 5, take a QB, ship Eli Manning out to the AFC i.e. Denver Broncos. :) I would laugh my head off if that happens as far as Top 5 picks go.

As far as the Colts go, I still think we win vs the Titans at home. 3 wins at worst, 4 wins at best, I am thinking.

11 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It sucks that I'm typing this...

I'm an eternal optimist, and the Colts aren't mathematically eliminated yet, but I think we might officially be in "It's gonna take a miracle" territory after the game today.  There's just too much to be pessimistic about right now.

With the current state of the franchise--

giphy.gif

--maybe it is time to consider sitting some key players like Luck, Kelly, Geathers and Hooker and start getting ready for next year.  Let Chuck finish the season, it will probably help us get a high pick.  I'm thinking 3rd overall pick behind the only two teams we can beat, the Browns and 49ers.  And we barely beat them, while getting stomped and embarrassed by everyone else...

I don't know.  If we had won today, I would still have hope for this season, but I think the Jags taking our lunch money today might have been a blessing in disguise.  #Colts2018

That kind of hope was baseless. We changed half the roster, much of it with kids.
 Your passion is at best a satisfaction with Mediocrity.
   Something P T Irsay spoke AGAINST last off season. He couldn't have been clearer, it was a fair warning about what to expect in the near future based on
of all things, the ROSTER, and a coaching staff with HUGE things to prove.
 Our beloved franchise and "once in 25 years QB" has been destroyed by bad management.
 We are in a reset, with much more to come after the season. This is nothing new to the NFL, it is just our turn in the cycle.
 It looks like drafting 3rd is our best hope now, and that could be great.
 But i won't give up on 1st or 2nd.   go colts

12 hours ago, ponyboy said:

I really don't see is getting the #1 overall pick.  As bad as the Colts have been the Browns have been worse.  Plus as Blue Shoe Savior pointed out, we beat the Browns earlier.  

Still a top 5 pick or especially a top 3 pick isn't bad.  We can either draft an elite pass rusher or we can trade down for more premium picks.

57 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Your passion is at best a satisfaction with Mediocrity.

...  What?

My passion is for a SB.  I didn't throw in the towel as soon as some, but I threw in the towel sooner than others. 

Technically, the Colts could still win the division and make a miracle run at a SB.  The point of my post was that I have pretty much officially lost what little hope I still had.

Watching that mediocrity yesterday was not satisfying, it was like a punch in the gut.

9 hours ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

The Browns would get the #1 overall pick over us if we both end up 2-14 since we already beat them.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I really don't see is getting the #1 overall pick.  As bad as the Colts have been the Browns have been worse.  Plus as Blue Shoe Savior pointed out, we beat the Browns earlier.  

Still a top 5 pick or especially a top 3 pick isn't bad.  We can either draft an elite pass rusher or we can trade down for more premium picks.

Nope.  Head to head is not part of the tie breaking process for the draft.  It really just comes down to strength of schedule (other tie breakers in event of tie in SoS, but not head-to-head).  Colts would likely beat all CLE, SF, and NYG in any combination of ties with these 3 teams sue to SoS.

Not necessarily predicting that would happen, but just pointing out it's not too far-fetched to think the Colts could lose out, CLE could win 2, SF wins 2, and NYG win one more.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

Weird shake up in the AFC would be Giants get a high draft pick in the Top 5, take a QB, ship Eli Manning out to the AFC i.e. Denver Broncos. :) I would laugh my head off if that happens as far as Top 5 picks go.

As far as the Colts go, I still think we win vs the Titans at home. 3 wins at worst, 4 wins at best, I am thinking.

Draft picks are only as valuable as how the talent is utilized. Ask Hoody.

14 hours ago, ponyboy said:

Nope.  Head to head is not part of the tie breaking process for the draft.  It really just comes down to strength of schedule (other tie breakers in event of tie in SoS, but not head-to-head).  Colts would likely beat all CLE, SF, and NYG in any combination of ties with these 3 teams sue to SoS.

Not necessarily predicting that would happen, but just pointing out it's not too far-fetched to think the Colts could lose out, CLE could win 2, SF wins 2, and NYG win one more.

I could see SF winning 2, NYG winning another one.  Cleveland. . . that's a tough one.  They can't seem to find a QB who doesn't throw 3 interceptions a game.  

I'd love to see the Colts get the #1 pick with all the QB's on the board.  If that happened teams would fall in love with one of them and offer up a king's ransom for the right to take him.  But I just don't see it happening.  

Plus there is always the outside chance that the Colts could win another couple of games.  Bengals, Broncos, Bills, Ravens I could see as possible wins.  I wouldn't say probable but possible.

Plus the Colts have the Texans at home in Week 17.  If the Texans are locked into a playoff spot in week 17, they might sit their starters for it.  And you know Pagano's going to be playing his best guys.  He always does regardless of playoff implications.  And since he's right now in a "coaching for my job" mode, he's gonna do whatever he can to grab some wins.

And if Luck actually does come back at some point late in the season, the Colts could easily grab a win there in week 17.

15 hours ago, King Colt said:

Draft picks are only as valuable as how the talent is utilized. Ask Hoody.

True. The hope is that the ensemble of coaches we have will be shown the door and we will get someone who will use our talents better.