Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Manning's Current Contract The Best Thing For The Colts?

MR. Blueblood

I'm starting this thread because I've been called Anti-Manning. I have stated that paying him the $28 million option bonus, thus activating the remainder of his contract, isn't in the best interest of this franchise moving forward. Even though I've never said in a post that I want Manning to leave, I'm still called Anti-Manning because I don't think Irsay should just open his wallet.

So I want your opinion, do you think the Colts (which it doesn't look like they are going to) continuing with Manning's contract as it currently stands is a good thing?

If so, please say why, if not please say why.

I'm sure this has been done before, but since I'm new here please forgive me for revisiting this topic.

No -- it's not the best thing for the team to do.

As it stands today (and likely on March 8th) they will have no idea when (or even if) he will ever be 100% healthy and be the "Manning of old" that we've all watched. As such, why in the world should Irsay pick up that contract when there is probably a 50/50 chance that he won't be ready to play when the season starts (if ever again)???

Every player eventually has to retire -- be it due to injury, diminished skill or a combination of both. Many here seemed to think that Manning would play forever and the realization that he is in fact human and will indeed one day not be able to play for the Colts has been hard for some to accept. .

I said this in another thread, but paying the $28 million doesn't just mean Peyton will play for the Colts next season, it means the team is committing to him for the full length of the contract (4 years).

After drafting Luck, they simply can't make a committment of that length to Peyton.

Maybe FireJimCaldwell will repost the potential risks of just paying the option. He wrote how if Manning was cut or retired later in the year, it would create a huge hit in dead cap. Something like 30% of the cap would be used.

Under the current contract, if you pay the option bonus of $28MM due March 8, and

1) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2012, then the hit to the 2012 salary cap will be $38.4MM or 32% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

2) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2013, then the hit to the 2013 salary cap will be $28.8MM or 24% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

3) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2014, then the hit to the 2014 salary cap will be $19.2MM or 14% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

4) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2015, then the hit to the 2015 salary cap will be $9.6MM or 7% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

I'm starting this thread because I've been called Anti-Manning. I have stated that paying him the $28 million option bonus, thus activating the remainder of his contract, isn't in the best interest of this franchise moving forward. Even though I've never said in a post that I want Manning to leave, I'm still called Anti-Manning because I don't think Irsay should just open his wallet.

So I want your opinion, do you think the Colts (which it doesn't look like they are going to) continuing with Manning's contract as it currently stands is a good thing?

I'm sure this has been done before, but since I'm new here please forgive me for revisiting this topic.

No, it does not make good business sense to exercise the option bonus of the current contract.

It does not make good business sense to pay all that up-front guaranteed bonus money to lock in a 4-year contract with a player who:

a) will be 39-40 at the end of the contract period

b) has recently had multiple surgeries to his neck, such that his playing abilities are uncertain

I agree Mr. Blueblood, Manning's contract is clearly not good for the Colts. This team is going into rebuilding mode and probably even with Manning wouldn't be ready to compete for a title next season. The risk is not worth the potential reward, which is possibly winning the division(which will be tougher with the Texans reaching their potential) and going one and done in the playoffs. It doesn't even sound like Manning looks like the Manning of old with his pass. So we aren't sure if he can even do what he was once capable of and their is a very good chance of him re-injuring the neck. I see no reason to possibly handicap our team to making Manning and his supporters happy. Don't get me wrong Manning has done alot of good for this team and pretty much built this franchise, but eventually you have to make the right decision for the future. Blind Manning followers with scream "hater" at us, but cutting Manning at this point is the right thing to do. I would love to see the contract renegotiated, but Manning is just not willing to do that. So who really is the bad guy in this situation?

No, but for Irsay to "put it in Manning's hands" is cowardly. He should just come out and say that they aren't paying the $28 million and that it's his decision and why.

I agree, it was cowardly of Irsay to leave it up to PM. However, I see why he chose to do just that. I think he needed the PR spin to insulate himself from the Manning-at-all-costs fans that otherwise would be burning him in effigy should he be brave enough to suggest the details of what a diminished, performance-based contract that took into consideration PM's "health" (ability to play).

No, but for Irsay to "put it in Manning's hands" is cowardly. He should just come out and say that they aren't paying the $28 million and that it's his decision and why.

Yes it was. If I were Manning I would issue a statement that he said before, i believe in the Wingo interview.

I would have him say. "I am under contract with the Indianapolis Colts"

If they release him.

I would have to say.

"We had a contract in place for me to end my career as an Indianapolis Colt, and Mr. Irsay and the team chose to terminate that agreement by releasing me."

Yes it was. If I were Manning I would issue a statement that he said before, i believe in the Wingo interview.

If they release him.

I would have to say.

"We had a contract in place for me to end my career as an Indianapolis Colt, and Mr. Irsay and the team chose to terminate that agreement by releasing me."

That would be the classy way to play it.

If they release him.

I would have to say.

That's exactly what he could say if he wants to leave Indy. At this point he might feel just that way. If he truly does want to stay then those words won't come out of his mouth. I highly doubt that Manning thinks that any other team is going to fork over $28 million to him, seeing as how Irsay won't and Manning has rehabbed at the Colts facility for the majority of his time, giving them the best knowledge of his progress. He's going to take a pay cut whether he stays here of goes elsewhere. Trying to force Irsay into fulfilling this contract when Manning himself can't ensure that he can fulfill this contract is inexcusable.

That's exactly what he could say if he wants to leave Indy. At this point he might feel just that way. If he truly does want to stay then those words won't come out of his mouth. I highly doubt that Manning thinks that any other team is going to fork over $28 million to him, seeing as how Irsay won't and Manning has rehabbed at the Colts facility for the majority of his time, giving them the best knowledge of his progress. He's going to take a pay cut whether he stays here of goes elsewhere. Trying to force Irsay into fulfilling this contract when Manning himself can't ensure that he can fulfill this contract is inexcusable.

Agreed...If Peyton was 100% healthy today then yes, the current contract would be fine. However, he's not 100% today so no, the current contract no longer works. Because of the uncertainty around his health, no team is going to give him the type of contract he currently has and he knows that. I don't believe for a second that he doesn't realize a new contract is required because of the uncertainty of his health. I don't see anything cowardly about what Irsay did. He clearly stated that it would be great to have Peyton back and to allow him to finish his career here, which is what Peyton wants. However, the situation has changed from when they first signed the current contract and that's why it needs to be reworked. Everyone is saying that no matter where Peyton goes, it will have to be for a reduced contract laden with incentives because of his current health. How then is it cowardly for Irsay to request that exact thing from Peyton in order to allow him to stay here?

Under the current contract, if you pay the option bonus of $28MM due March 8, and

1) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2012, then the hit to the 2012 salary cap will be $38.4MM or 32% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

2) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2013, then the hit to the 2013 salary cap will be $28.8MM or 24% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

3) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2014, then the hit to the 2014 salary cap will be $19.2MM or 14% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

4) IF PM retires or is cut before July 1, 2015, then the hit to the 2015 salary cap will be $9.6MM or 7% of the total team cap for a player who will not be playing.

Thanks for the diligence

I blame Tom Condon for designing a contract his client couldn't fulfill. The contract as it stands will not be honored by Irsay.

Just a technical note. By releasing PM, and not paying the option bonus under the current contract, Irsay will be honoring the contract. He will have complied with the terms of the current contract.

The answer today is no. Why? Manning can't play quarterback. There is nothing else that needs to be discussed. When and if that situation changes, all the other parts become relevant. But until then, there is no way the current contract can be honored.

Simply stated and exactly right.

Unless Peyton holds a series of open workouts between now and March 8th and zips 50-60 full velocity passes including deep-outs and go routes each time... I don't even know why the question was asked.

His current contract is simply unacceptable and thank goodness we have an out. I love the guy but haven't we had enough of this impossible salary cap crap?

Simply stated and exactly right.

Unless Peyton holds a series of open workouts between now and March 8th and zips 50-60 full velocity passes including deep-outs and go routes each time... I don't even know why the question was asked.

His current contract is simply unacceptable and thank goodness we have an out. I love the guy but haven't we had enough of this impossible salary cap crap?

Don't worry, Peyton donates most of his money to the make a wish foundation, whereas Irsay spends your money on monster drinks and cheap women.

Irsay was the one that beat the "highest paid player drum". He's the one that had the ego about it.

I don't think Manning wants anything to do with Andrew Luck even though he has said he could be a good teammate to anyone or however he put it. Manning is under contract why shouldn't he rehab at the facility?

Manning doesn't have the option. Irsay does.

You should thank Peyton Manning for setting it up the way that it is or a pure 5 year deal would have been much worse.

If you want to blame someone blame Jim Irsay.

For what? Paying Millions (in a display of loyalty, that has been questioned, Irsay wasn't not going to ink a contract, you think the PR is hard on him now, imagine if he hadn't? In retrospect that may have been the right call, loyalty right?) only to have to make this call, under all of this uncertainty.

Condon designed a contract that was never likely to be completed, and he dosent give the Colts enough flexibility to restructure in this event.

For what? Paying Millions (in a display of loyalty, that has been questioned, Irsay wasn't not going to ink a contract, you think the PR is hard on him now, imagine if he hadn't? In retrospect that may have been the right call, loyalty right?) only to have to make this call, under all of this uncertainty.

Condon designed a contract that was never likely to be completed, and he dosent give the Colts enough flexibility to restructure in this event.

He has a 1 year deal with a 4 year option.

One likely alternative would have been a 5 year deal. If they keep the 20/28 format and make it 48 million signing bonus, do you know what the penalty would be if Manning isn't on the roster? Instead of 38.4 it would be 9.6x4, it would be to the tune of 38.4 million dollars of cap space. Manning/Irsay put together the contract, and Condon & Polian were left to "legalize" it. Irsay was still the one pushing for the highest paid deal, and Manning balked at that and gave the Colts an out. Well it's about to happen.

The contract should have never been given until Manning was proven to be healthy enough to warrant it and that is on Jim Irsay.

ok, here's my take. From a loyality stand point yes but from a business since, no. Mr. Irsay has said time and time again that if Manning is healthy he would be a Colt. He has said it's not about the money. Well, here we are today, and Mr Irsay has contradicted himself time and time again. No one wants Manning to return more than me and I have argued that point over and over on other topic's. I have always thought if Manning would just take a cap friendly contract they could put some more pieces on the field to help him.

Mr Irsay can't keep going back on his word but Manning also needs to help. I think he owes it to Mr Irsay to renegociate his contract. They did pay him 26 million last year when they could have IR'd him and taken less of a hit. The concern is health and nobody on this forum knows Peyton Manning's health, what his arm strength is. NOBODY!. Everyone that posts something about his so called health % is only repeating something they have heard from some reporter who is speculating. What we do know is Peyton Manning has a drive that 99.9% of the players in this league don't have. The guy is working his butt off to get back and I think if anyone can, he will. Quit talking about his health because we don't know only he knows and hopefully Mr. Irsay will know by March 8th. I'm done speculating, we'll know when we know. Just like the reported bone spurs in his neck, Manning said that wasn't true and he was throwing great. The guy works harder than anyone so don't speculate just be patient, we'll know when he wants us to know. Mr. Irsay is a politician right now, he's trying to paint himself the best possible way he can. He knows there is going to be rumblings if Manning is let go. His wallet is going to suffer. He's not stupid.

Quit speculating Mannings health and just turn the darn radio off. They don't know, we don't know, no one knows but Manning! I don't think Mr. Irsay even knows because they can't even have a meeting. You would think Irsay would know, the guy works out at your facility everyday and throws. Where the heck is Irsay when he's working out?

So in reality Peyton's value at that point was undetermined. Why did they have to make it a mega 5 year deal?

Irsay was never going to do wrong by Peyton at that point. To say Irsay is at fault is technically true, but then so is Peyton if it was a bad contract to begin with.

He has a 1 year deal with a 4 year option.

One likely alternative would have been a 5 year deal. If they keep the 20/28 format and make it 48 million signing bonus, do you know what the penalty would be if Manning isn't on the roster? Instead of 38.4 it would be 9.6x4, it would be to the tune of 38.4 million dollars of cap space. Manning/Irsay put together the contract, and Condon & Polian were left to "legalize" it. Irsay was still the one pushing for the highest paid deal, and Manning balked at that and gave the Colts an out. Well it's about to happen.

The contract should have never been given until Manning was proven to be healthy enough to warrant it and that is on Jim Irsay.

That right there hit the nail on the head. It was a friendly contract that gave the Colts an out. no one to blame other than Irsay for doing it knowing Manning might not be healthy. he should have IR'd him so they wouldn't have had to pay the entire 26 million to him but they wanted to see him rehab at the facility. That was an expense health club fee to pay, lol.

I think Manning will restructure his contract and put it back in Irsay's face. Then whats Irsay going to say then. I'm telling you, if Manning renegociates the Luck camp is going to start asking not to be drafted by the Colts.

So in reality Peyton's value at that point was undetermined. Why did they have to make it a mega 5 year deal?

Irsay was never going to do wrong by Peyton at that point. To say Irsay is at fault is technically true, but then so is Peyton if it was a bad contract to begin with.

They didn't. Manning set it up as a one year deal with a 4 year extension.

At that point the Colts had 2 options.

• Workout something with Manning
  • Resent the franchise tag making him a free agent and attempt to sign him when he's read.

The chose to work out a deal with Manning which got rid of the 23 million franchise tag hit, that allowed them to resign Addai and a few others.

This was before the last set back, but even then he wasn't healthy. He knew and they knew it.

The onus is on Irsay for agreeing to those terms, but it could be much worse than it is.

Irsay was the one that beat the "highest paid player drum". He's the one that had the ego about it.

I don't think Manning wants anything to do with Andrew Luck even though he has said he could be a good teammate to anyone or however he put it. Manning is under contract why shouldn't he rehab at the facility?

Manning doesn't have the option. Irsay does.

You're right about Irsay banging the highest player drum, that was also when everybody was under the assumption that Manning was going to be able to resume his career as usual. Nobody at that time knew the fusion was going to have to happen, and nobody at that time knew that the nerve regeneration was going to be as prolonged as it has been. Now that everybody understands the situation and Manning's health as it stands today, the contract that was made isn't consistent with the realities involved.

I never said that he couldn't or shouldn't use the Colts facilities, only that because he is using them to rehab they have a much better understanding of exactly what Manning's progress is than anybody else (including other possible suitors for Manning). So if the Colts obviously aren't satisfied with his progress to not be willing to take the risk on the remainder of the contract, then why would any other team be willing to give Manning anywhere near the money he was set to make if the Colts picked up the option.

Manning taking the stance that you posted earlier would mean that he feels that he's ready to leave Indy and/or he deserves that money, even though he can't say for sure that he's going to be ready by any given date that you choose, be it start of OTAs or mini-camp, to training camp, or the regular season for that matter. Seeing as how Manning can't in good faith guarantee being able to play, why should Irsay have to guarantee the full amount of the contract?

You're right about Irsay banging the highest player drum, that was also when everybody was under the assumption that Manning was going to be able to resume his career as usual. Nobody at that time knew the fusion was going to have to happen, and nobody at that time knew that the nerve regeneration was going to be as prolonged as it has been. Now that everybody understands the situation and Manning's health as it stands today, the contract that was made isn't consistent with the realities involved.

I never said that he couldn't or shouldn't use the Colts facilities, only that because he is using them to rehab they have a much better understanding of exactly what Manning's progress is than anybody else (including other possible suitors for Manning). So if the Colts obviously aren't satisfied with his progress to not be willing to take the risk on the remainder of the contract, then why would any other team be willing to give Manning anywhere near the money he was set to make if the Colts picked up the option.

Manning taking the stance that you posted earlier would mean that he feels that he's ready to leave Indy and/or he deserves that money, even though he can't say for sure that he's going to be ready by any given date that you choose, be it start of OTAs or mini-camp, to training camp, or the regular season for that matter. Seeing as how Manning can't in good faith guarantee being able to play, why should Irsay have to guarantee the full amount of the contract?

On the facility.. I misread what you wrote and yes they have a much better chance of seeing what he has to offer by him working out there.

This is me putting myself in Manning's shoes, it's got some if's in it and I hate if's but that is what we are limited to at this point.

• If he feels he's healthy enough to play. Colts say he's not. He says he's progressing.
    • Manning would prefer the draft pick be used on another OL, WR, anything other than QB
    • He would prefer it to be traded for a package of 2-3 #1 picks, maybe a 2, something else in future years.
    • I doubt he wants anything to do with Luck, because at best Luck is an insurance policy in case he gets hurt again.

If we draft Luck, as you can tell there already is a portion of the fan base that wants to discard Manning and have him retire, or go elsewhere. If we open with Tennessee and Manning throws an interception, that portion will get rabid about making a change.

In a perfect world Manning & Luck on the roster would be nice.

The NFL isn't a perfect world with the cash and cap issues that will involve having the two of them on the team with other needs as well.

If the Colts draft Luck, which they will, Manning is better off on another team. Luck is better off with Manning on another team. Archie Manning was right when he said that they both are good enough to play assuming Manning is healthy and it's not a good situation for either "INDIVIDUAL" if they are on the same team.

I think Manning would be willing to work out something to help lower his cap #'s or if possible to lower the bonus(i don't see how that can be done, but that is another story), if there were concessions in place that we drafted a player other a QB.

That might be selfish on his behalf, and it is, but I think that would be his opinion. Manning & Luck have both offered PC answers but if the brutal truth was to be told I think each would prefer to be QB1, with the other on another team.

It's not so much about "deserving the money", as much as a preference on how the team is made up. NO player should be afforded that right, but I'm sure Favre wanted no part of Rodgers or would have preferred Heath Miller or Roddy White or a defensive player, a lineman, instead of a guy that barely saw the field for 3 years. It worked out for GB the way it did, so they are happy, but from Favre's perspective he would have preferred anything but Rodgers.

On the facility.. I misread what you wrote and yes they have a much better chance of seeing what he has to offer by him working out there.

This is me putting myself in Manning's shoes, it's got some if's in it and I hate if's but that is what we are limited to at this point.

• If he feels he's healthy enough to play. Colts say he's not. He says he's progressing.
    • Manning would prefer the draft pick be used on another OL, WR, anything other than QB
    • He would prefer it to be traded for a package of 2-3 #1 picks, maybe a 2, something else in future years.
    • I doubt he wants anything to do with Luck, because at best Luck is an insurance policy in case he gets hurt again.

If we draft Luck, as you can tell there already is a portion of the fan base that wants to discard Manning and have him retire, or go elsewhere. If we open with Tennessee and Manning throws an interception, that portion will get rabid about making a change.

In a perfect world Manning & Luck on the roster would be nice.

The NFL isn't a perfect world with the cash and cap issues that will involve having the two of them on the team with other needs as well.

If the Colts draft Luck, which they will, Manning is better off on another team. Luck is better off with Manning on another team. Archie Manning was right when he said that they both are good enough to play assuming Manning is healthy and it's not a good situation for either "INDIVIDUAL" if they are on the same team.

I think Manning would be willing to work out something to help lower his cap #'s or if possible to lower the bonus(i don't see how that can be done, but that is another story), if there were concessions in place that we drafted a player other a QB.

That might be selfish on his behalf, and it is, but I think that would be his opinion. Manning & Luck have both offered PC answers but if the brutal truth was to be told I think each would prefer to be QB1, with the other on another team.

It's not so much about "deserving the money", as much as a preference on how the team is made up. NO player should be afforded that right, but I'm sure Favre wanted no part of Rodgers or would have preferred Heath Miller or Roddy White or a defensive player, a lineman, instead of a guy that barely saw the field for 3 years. It worked out for GB the way it did, so they are happy, but from Favre's perspective he would have preferred anything but Rodgers.

Agreed. I can see all your points and they definitely hold a lot of validity to them. The only thing I can offer differently, is that Manning IMO hasn't considered himself bigger than the team. Would he want help for himself by drafting those positions mentioned? Absolutely. Would he feel like leaving Indy because the team, or Irsay for that matter, felt like for the future of this team (beyond the next cpl years) Luck is the answer? I guess we'll find out. Peyton is a historian of the game and I think understands the need or desire for teams to ready themselves for a transition from one era to another. I also think that with the ties between the Mannings and the Lucks that he knows what Andrew could become in this league, and if he thinks anything like what most others do, he'll understand Irsay's decision to draft him. I doubt that he wants any part of "mentoring" Luck though.

Agreed. I can see all your points and they definitely hold a lot of validity to them. The only thing I can offer differently, is that Manning IMO hasn't considered himself bigger than the team. Would he want help for himself by drafting those positions mentioned? Absolutely. Would he feel like leaving Indy because the team, or Irsay for that matter, felt like for the future of this team (beyond the next cpl years) Luck is the answer? I guess we'll find out. Peyton is a historian of the game and I think understands the need or desire for teams to ready themselves for a transition from one era to another. I also think that with the ties between the Mannings and the Lucks that he knows what Andrew could become in this league, and if he thinks anything like what most others do, he'll understand Irsay's decision to draft him. I doubt that he wants any part of "mentoring" Luck though.

I don't think that is considering himself bigger than team. I just think he wants whats best for the team short term as opposed to 8-10 year down the road.

I believe he knows Irasy is drafting Luck and he feels that the two would be better off at the end of the day.

My comment about "being under contract" would be just a response to this PR assault that Irsay seems to be on.

No they shouldnt, me frog man, you among others have said paying him his current contract is crazy given the circumstances. hes coming off of four surgeries, hes 36 and no one knows for sure when he will be able to throw the ball with complete accuracy and zip. it could take aslittle as 9 months but as much as the whole 2012 season (meaning he wont play) but these manning worshipers who believe that manning is going to take the colts back to the post season think he should be paid this. and get defensive when someone says the colts need to go with luck saying he is unproven. well news flash, manning is unproven NOW. he hasnt gone out there on the playing field and throw against defenses after the surgeries. now would i like manning to be back on the team? of course i do, but at his current contract no way. his contract will hurt the rebuilding process and the chance to bring in young FA's. then come 2015 the colts are stuck with andrew luck with just an average to below average team around him. BUt i believe Irsay will end up releasing him to start rebuilding the whole team. and that starts with luck.

I agree with this statement. It is on Jim Irsay, and a little bit on BP as well, if he did not oppose it. BP had a fiduciary duty to oppose it.

and he also had a duty to build a better team incase manning went down. its who i blame for all of this is BP. as bad as it sounds, but he built this team to fit Manning and manning only. he wasnt thinking about the possibility of him being out for weeks or a whole year. the defense was fine at the beginning then teams caught on to the whole speed defense scheme and the division teams started a run first pass later game plan and it hurt. 3 of the best RB's in the NFL are in the AFC South, that dont happen by accident. BP built this defense to hold leads, not to play in ties or come from behind.

and he also had a duty to build a better team incase manning went down. its who i blame for all of this is BP. as bad as it sounds, but he built this team to fit Manning and manning only. he wasnt thinking about the possibility of him being out for weeks or a whole year. the defense was fine at the beginning then teams caught on to the whole speed defense scheme and the division teams started a run first pass later game plan and it hurt. 3 of the best RB's in the NFL are in the AFC South, that dont happen by accident. BP built this defense to hold leads, not to play in ties or come from behind.

You may be correct.

Since BP now has his own radio show, you can call him up daily and harangue him about it. I'm sure he would love hearing from you.

I call it the fans' revenge.

It does not make good business sense to pay all that up-front guaranteed bonus money to lock in a 4-year contract with a player who:

a) will be 39-40 at the end of the contract period

Not relevant unless you were saying this before Manning's contract expired. He's no older now than everyone expected him to be. The age isn't the issue here, not without the injury and the difficulty in recovering for someone his age.