Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Was The Last Instance For A No.1 Draft Pick To Sit Out An Entire First Season?

chad72

That is fine. Just wanted to see how many instances we really had of those kind, especially for a QB taken No.1

But also ask, when was the last time that a team with the greatest QB of all time already on the team, got the #1 pick? Makes this situation unlike any other in the history of the NFL pretty much

I believe Carson Palmer is the last one. I know Philip Rivers was the #4 pick but does anyone remember how long he sat behind Brees? I wanna say it was a couple years but it may have only been one.

You are right, it was 2004 & 2005 (the Eli draft of 2004 was when Rivers was drafted). Rivers was starter in 2006. That is probably the best example of 2 very good QBs on the same team for 2 years together with a rookie QB drafted as early as No.4.

But also ask, when was the last time that a team with the greatest QB of all time that was turning 35yo and with 3 neck surgeries over 18 months and not fully recovered and forcing decision making in consideration of serious cap implications that would effect the organization for years, already on the team, got the #1 pick? Makes this situation unlike any other in the history of the NFL pretty much

Fixed your post ^ for context accuracy.

The only variable in the high QB draft pick playing/not playing immediately is a new one - salary commensurate with the new CBA. Luck will be paid approximately the same as Cam Newton = 5M/yr. for 4yrs. At that rate, it's a new world and there is a chance some team will set a new trend in the near future even if it's not the Colts in 2012. More or less equates to "quality backup" in terms of pre-2011 dollars.

Fixed your post ^ for context accuracy, although i have absoultely not a clue what i'm talking about...but it sure is fun to pretend like i'm smarter than i am!

Unless you have been personally watching Peyton's work outs, then dont change what i put, because you dont know if its true or not.

And another thing, everyone says "THREE neck surgeries...blah blah blah..." you do realize that the first "TWO" were simple, non evasive ELECTIVE procedures, right? I dont consider an outpatient procedure to be "a major neck surgery". And the last one was done as a CAREER SAVER, not a CAREER ENDER.

so I fixed YOUR post for context accuracy, too!

Unless you have been personally watching Peyton's work outs, then dont change what i put, because you dont know if its true or not.

And another thing, everyone says "THREE neck surgeries...blah blah blah..." you do realize that the first "TWO" were simple, non evasive ELECTIVE procedures, right? I dont consider an outpatient procedure to be "a major neck surgery". And the last one was done as a CAREER SAVER, not a CAREER ENDER.

so I fixed YOUR post for context accuracy, too!

I don't need to see his workouts. If none of what has transpired over the past year and a half ever took place the entire topic would be moot = correction in your context. Use some common sense. And yes......I'm well aware of his medical history. I've read enough medical records to circle from here to Jupiter and back seven times. Bottom line this is going to be a timing issue because of the uncertainty. I highly doubt Irsay gambles that big on the future. We'll see. But this is drifting into off-OP topic into the same snoozer area 85% of all the posts here are about & I'll not go any futher with it.

I don't need to see his workouts. If none of what has transpired over the past year and a half ever took place the entire topic would be moot = correction in your context. Use some common sense. And yes......I'm well aware of his medical history. I've read enough medical records to circle from here to Jupiter and back seven times. Bottom line this is going to be a timing issue because of the uncertainty. I highly doubt Irsay gambles that big on the future. We'll see. But this is drifting into off-OP topic into the same snoozer area 85% of all the posts here are about & I'll not go any futher with it.

my point about the procedures is that you, and most other people seem to throw out the "THREE neck surgeries" in what they say, as a way to make it sound far far worse than it really is, as far as what he's had done to his neck. You also went on to say what he is and isnt able to do now, performance wise, which you have absolutely no way of knowing.

THAT is why i corrected what you said.

my point about the procedures is that you, and most other people seem to throw out the "THREE neck surgeries" in what they say, as a way to make it sound far far worse than it really is, as far as what he's had done to his neck. You also went on to say what he is and isnt able to do now, performance wise, which you have absolutely no way of knowing.

THAT is why i corrected what you said.

Seriously, this is the last bit on surgery I'll put into this thread. Fact is there's uncertainty with outcome of this procedure no matter the person's age, number of priors, or vocation. End of file. I've said this before - in Manning's favor is his excellent physical conditioning and access to the best medical care available.....and still there are the question marks about the future. Why? Because we're all human and built the same way, even though he may be able to mitigate/minimize the negatives with his circumstances for the reasons mentioned. I'm glad the Colts have an owner that's shown he's now comfortable making big and difficult decisions because this may well be one of the toughest he'll ever have.

i thought he played (well) one year with rivers on the bench. or was it just a partial season with the shoulder issue

i'll tell you one thing, brees is worshiped in new orleans. he could run for mayor if he felt like it

oh i know hes worshiped in new orleans the fans who moved here to dallas after katrina think hes a god. but i guess i would to if a qb came to my team and won us our first super bowl in team history lol.

oh i know hes worshiped in new orleans the fans who moved here to dallas after katrina think hes a god. but i guess i would to if a qb came to my team and won us our first super bowl in team history lol.

i am going to new orleans tomorrow for mardi gras. i had to stop by the colts pro shop to stock up on colts gear. there is no wayi am not flying my colors in that town! :)

i thought he played (well) one year with rivers on the bench. or was it just a partial season with the shoulder issue

i'll tell you one thing, brees is worshiped in new orleans. he could run for mayor if he felt like it

Oh yeah. Brees had a heck of a year in 2005 with road wins at the Patriots and Colts (they stopped our 13-0 streak, remember?). Unfortunately, a combination of his shoulder issue and Rivers' guaranteed a boat load of money all factored into the Chargers letting Brees (and Marty who wanted to keep Brees badly) go.

Unlike Rivers' contract, with the new CBA, we can talk about Luck and Manning co-existing theoretically.

i am going to new orleans tomorrow for mardi gras. i had to stop by the colts pro shop to stock up on colts gear. there is no wayi am not flying my colors in that town! :)

Yeah that wouldn't be a good idea. On the brightside though least it isn't Philly lol. Be dodgin batteries everywhere ya go haha.

Was Steve Young a #1 pick? Different era but he was NFL ready.

He was the #1 overall pick of the '84 Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. I think he did have some time at starting QB for the Buccaneers, but I'm not completely sure.

I will be in New Orleans also!! Just moved to Baton Rouge from Indianapolis in January... You want be the only one flying COLTS colors!!

He was the #1 overall pick of the '84 Supplemental Draft of USFL and CFL Players. I think he did have some time at starting QB for the Buccaneers, but I'm not completely sure.

yes he started for the Bucs and he played pretty bad. The Bucs basically thought he was a bust and cut him. Walsh saw something in him and signed him to the 49ers

I made an old post once and Carson Palmer is the only QB I know of in the SB era that didn't start a game in his first season. He sat behind John Kitna who actually had a good year in 2003. No other QB in the SB era has sat in his first year. Some have sat for a few games or half a season but everyone outside of Palmer ended up playing.

Still, since we're discussing context, teams with really good quarterbacks don't get the #1 pick. If Manning can return to form (or reasonably close to it) then you're looking at a luxury situation that most teams don't ever see themselves in.

We're still talking about a significant "IF", which is what you're pointing to. But when you're the Rams drafting Sam Bradford, and your only other option is Kellen Clemens, it's obvious who you start. Or if your choosing between Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen, it's a no-brainer. Same with the Lions in 2009, who had just gone 0-16. And so on.

(By the way, go back to Eli Manning, who didn't start right away, and was only put in the lineup after Kurt Warner got hurt.)

If you have a chance at a healthy Manning and a potential protege, especially with a rookie wage scale, that's not a bad situation to be in. Not ideal, no. But still, to me, this isn't about Luck maybe having to sit on the bench.

Still, since we're discussing context, teams with really good quarterbacks don't get the #1 pick. If Manning can return to form (or reasonably close to it) then you're looking at a luxury situation that most teams don't ever see themselves in.

We're still talking about a significant "IF", which is what you're pointing to. But when you're the Rams drafting Sam Bradford, and your only other option is Kellen Clemens, it's obvious who you start. Or if your choosing between Cam Newton and Jimmy Clausen, it's a no-brainer. Same with the Lions in 2009, who had just gone 0-16. And so on.

(By the way, go back to Eli Manning, who didn't start right away, and was only put in the lineup after Kurt Warner got hurt.)

If you have a chance at a healthy Manning and a potential protege, especially with a rookie wage scale, that's not a bad situation to be in. Not ideal, no. But still, to me, this isn't about Luck maybe having to sit on the bench.

Exchanging with coltsblue1844, he left the medical issue out of his initial comment. Any conversation about the situation is irrelevant without taking that into account. That was the point.

Now......if we're talking about a hypothetical as you described where Manning is on the team and healthy....and the Colts draft Andrew Luck......yes that would be a an unusual opportunity. In another thread today I mentioned the variable these days not many folks are taking into consideration is top pick salary commensurate with the new CBA. Luck will be paid about like Cam Newton - 5M/yr for 4yrs = veteran backup in terms of pre-2011 dollars. So, would it be doable? Yes. It's a new world around the league now, and again I think some team will set a newer trend soon if it's not the Colts in 2012.

If I had my rathers I'd want it to be draft Luck and Manning returning healthy, which actually equates to more than just one year of performance (or restructure) in order to not cripple the team financially moving forward. The health and money issues are tied at the hip. Under the circumstances Manning's salary is like a bear falling into a deadfall trap - it's own weight is what kills. That's why....if he wants/is able to play for the Colts (or anyone else that's prudent reducing risk/reward) he's going to have to be under a heavily incentive laden deal.

Exchanging with coltsblue1844, he left the medical issue out of his initial comment. Any conversation about the situation is irrelevant without taking that into account. That was the point.

Now......if we're talking about a hypothetical as you described where Manning is on the team and healthy....and the Colts draft Andrew Luck......yes that would be a an unusual opportunity. In another thread today I mentioned the variable these days not many folks are taking into consideration is top pick salary commensurate with the new CBA. Luck will be paid about like Cam Newton - 5M/yr for 4yrs = veteran backup in terms of pre-2011 dollars. So, would it be doable? Yes. It's a new world around the league now, and again I think some team will set a newer trend soon if it's not the Colts in 2012.

If I had my rathers I'd want it to be draft Luck and Manning returning healthy, which actually equates to more than just one year of performance (or restructure) in order to not cripple the team financially moving forward.

Agreed on all points. I don't agree with the sentiment that it would be unfair to sit Luck, nor do I think he would try to force his way out.

The health and money issues are tied at the hip. Under the circumstances Manning's salary is like a bear falling into a deadfall trap - it's own weight is what kills. That's why....if he wants/is able to play for the Colts (or anyone else that's prudent reducing risk/reward) he's going to have to be under a heavily incentive laden deal.

The money is an issue, given the health concerns, which is basically what Irsay has been saying for a couple weeks now.

However, this is why I think Manning is gone: According to John Clayton, the teams that didn't spend all their cap space in 2011 have the ability to roll their remaining 2011 space over into 2012 (I don't know if that includes unearned incentive rebates or not). The Chiefs, Bengals and Bucs have more than $60 million in cap space in 2012. The Jags, Redskins and Broncos have more than $40 million. There's a lot of money available for teams to throw around this offseason. That's before any roster moves are made before the March deadline.

Manning can stand his ground, or if released, go to the Chiefs or Redskins and get paid a lot of money. They can throw in incentives that we can't because of our cap restraints. He's never been an unrestricted free agent before. Even with his injury situation, there's going to be a long list of suitors with cash to burn.