Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Was The Last Instance For A No.1 Draft Pick To Sit Out An Entire First Season?

chad72

However, this is why I think Manning is gone: According to John Clayton, the teams that didn't spend all their cap space in 2011 have the ability to roll their remaining 2011 space over into 2012 (I don't know if that includes unearned incentive rebates or not). The Chiefs, Bengals and Bucs have more than $60 million in cap space in 2012. The Jags, Redskins and Broncos have more than $40 million. There's a lot of money available for teams to throw around this offseason. That's before any roster moves are made before the March deadline.

Manning can stand his ground, or if released, go to the Chiefs or Redskins and get paid a lot of money. They can throw in incentives that we can't because of our cap restraints. He's never been an unrestricted free agent before. Even with his injury situation, there's going to be a long list of suitors with cash to burn.

Yep.

And who could blame either Manning or Irsay? I don't think there's a "dark side" to any of this as many have suggested or would like to believe.

On one hand there's a great player that still wants to play. It's only natural and appropriate that he'd want to be paid at the top of his position if he's still able to achieve there (with a big incentive deal from a team that can afford it). Manning put Indy on the map.

On the other hand there's a great owner that has the future of his club and city at stake with more to think about than the tenure of one player. All of this while faced with circumstances surrounding the star your team was built around which nobody could have foreseen 1.5 yrs. ago. He loves Manning and rewarded him handsomely over the years, including 2011, and is now probably faced with what some will see as an unpopular decision regardless.

This is a cumulative effect from dealings in years past which presently does not spell sustain. Even though I expect more of the old guard to be gone (other players) before all is said and done, I believe Irsay is trying to build a different kind of winner and will deliver that. Here's to the future.

This is a cumulative effect from dealings in years past which presently does not spell sustain.

Probably the singular most crippling effect the Polian regime had on this franchise. The one year of incompetency was nothing compared to this cap he-ll the franchise inherited.

Mark Schlereth commented on Roddy White's tweets critical of the commish's salary stating that the once Roddy White's playing days are done, the NFL will still be there as a business model and sustaining those as businessmen is what the owners get paid for, and specifically, Roger Goodell's salary as CEO of this league. Players are a big part of the league but the owners and commish are a longer term bigger part of the business side of the league. Laundry can change, players come and go, but the business model is what makes it tick for decades.

Irsay's decision concerns things bigger than Manning, ultimately.

Probably the singular most crippling effect the Polian regime had on this franchise. The one year of incompetency was nothing compared to this cap he-ll the franchise inherited.

Mark Schlereth commented on Roddy White's tweets critical of the commish's salary stating that the once Roddy White's playing days are done, the NFL will still be there as a business model and sustaining those as businessmen is what the owners get paid for, and specifically, Roger Goodell's salary as CEO of this league. Players are a big part of the league but the owners and commish are a longer term bigger part of the business side of the league. Laundry can change, players come and go, but the business model is what makes it tick for decades.

Irsay's decision concerns things bigger than Manning, ultimately.

Agree.

You can't compare this to ANY previous situation.

If manning was 100%, it would be a different story.

However, he's NO WHERE near that.

The fact that he's even being given the CHANCE to stay speaks volumes of how he is respected by Irsay and the team.

This is a VERY unique situation which needs to be assessed independent of ANY previous situation in the NFL's history.

IMO, you take Luck and negotiate with manning SEPERATELY to that decision. Primarily because of the uncertainty of manning's future.

But you GOTTA take "the kid" for the future. To not take luck might be the biggest mistake the franchise ever made. Even bigger than the decision to draft manning. primarily because of where the team has been thru the last 10 or so years and where its at now as well as where it wants to be in the future.

If Manning is kept and starts the season healthy, that doesn't mean Luck won't play.

Even if Manning is "healthy", I think the days of him playing when the team is up or down 20 pts in the 4th quarter are done. The team won't want to leave him out there in garbage time and they will want to get Luck (or whomever the young b/u QB is) reps. His days of taking every snap, until playoff position is determined, are most likely over.

Also -- just because Manning is healthy in early Sept, doesn't mean he'll be healthy everyweek during the season.

I have little doubt the "qb of the future" will see the field a decent amount -- even if Manning returns.

I know Rodgers wasn't technically the number 1 pick, but he was a number 1 talent who dropped unexpectedly - he was in the green room on the day so clearly nobody expected him to drop to 24.

Even if Manning is "healthy", I think the days of him playing when the team is up or down 20 pts in the 4th quarter are done. The team won't want to leave him out there in garbage time and they will want to get Luck (or whomever the young b/u QB is) reps. His days of taking every snap, until playoff position is determined, are most likely over.

Also -- just because Manning is healthy in early Sept, doesn't mean he'll be healthy everyweek during the season.

I have little doubt the "qb of the future" will see the field a decent amount -- even if Manning returns.

Very true. It was either him or Alex Smith, and no other team wanted to draft a quarterback. Same thing happened in 2007, another weak quarterback class. In 2006, there were three in the top 11. Last year, four in the top 12.

The Packers had the luxury of an established veteran and a rookie quarterback. Rodgers wasn't making the kind of money the #1 pick in this year's draft will make, but he was still a first round talent, and was ::thisclose:: to being the #1 overall pick.

And again, teams with the #1 pick usually don't have established veteran quarterbacks, otherwise they wouldn't be picking #1. If Manning can play at a high level, this would be a completely unprecedented situation.

Wouldn't you say that the NFL landscape has changed dramatically in that past 5 years or more, w/regard to top QB picks? Guys are now declared "busts" long before they would've even gotten their first start 10 years ago.

yes you're right

largely because the number of busts in the recent years and by recent I mean 10 or 15.(#1 overall picks)

Jamarcus Russel (2007)

Alex Smith (2004)*

David Carr (2002)

Tim Couch (1999)

I want to throw Alex Smith and Jeff George in there but George wasn't terrible. He just didnt live up to the #1 pick. He has average stats. Not Ryan Leaf type of stats.. Alex Smith isn't technically a bust either but he isn't anything great either. I think Smith is on the fence but I put him in there anyways. Also take into account that if Leaf was taken #1 overall he would be apart of that list.

Outside of George, all the QBs prior to Manning taken #1 overall in the SB era went on to have good careers.