Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ballards new defense

OLD FAN MAN

Our defense did pretty good considering our offense gave our opponents 16 points and turned the ball over whenever they could. Our secondary is as bad as ever, but the front seven is considerably better. Don't get tricked into thinking the season is over. We are 1 game behind the Jaguars for God sake with everyone else at 0-1 in our division. 33 rushes with 1.9 ypc against Todd Gurley is excellent. Linebackers in coverage was pretty solid. We just need to get our key players back in action: Luck, Geathers, Davis, Kelly are top 10 players on this team, and we are missing all of them

R-E-L-A-X

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Our defense did pretty good considering our offense gave our opponents 16 points and turned the ball over whenever they could. Our secondary is as bad as ever, but the front seven is considerably better. Don't get tricked into thinking the season is over. We are 1 game behind the Jaguars for God sake with everyone else at 0-1 in our division. 33 rushes with 1.9 ypc against Todd Gurley is excellent. Linebackers in coverage was pretty solid. We just need to get our key players back in action: Luck, Geathers, Davis, Kelly are top 10 players on this team, and we are missing all of them

R-E-L-A-X

I have never liked Monachino's defense from the start he plays way too much off coverage and that's why QB's are tearing us apart right now. Also why we made Golf look like an all pro yesterday.

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Count me in for actually liking our new defense. I saw a lot of things to be excited about.  

However, it's kind of hard to look good when the offense keeps having three and outs, and turning the ball over. 

Same here.   I liked some of what I saw.    It was obvious that they were not well coached though.   If we had a defensive coach, this could be a decent defense.  

15 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

R-E-L-A-X

We'll be 0-2 after next week.   Pagano is having trouble getting a game plan together to beat the Seahawks.

8 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Can you do simple math?

46 minus 14.(Defensive TDs)

Lets see, start with the tens. So take 40 and subtract 10.  That gives you 30 okay?

Now take the 4 and subtract that from 6. That gives you 2 okay?

Now add 30 and 2. That gives you.......... 32

Now subtract 2 points from the safety, K? 

32-2+46 right? Nope.... it gives you 30. The defense gave up 30 points. 

Thanks for participating in our weekly math lesson.

teacher i could do simple math back in 1949 but as you get older things go away, you will learn this if you make it to 73 like i am, i will try to work on my simple math 

2 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Oh boy those 46 point woot that a defense or that one sack too.... WOOO

We have to be fair. 

That's not exactly how it went down. Our offense gave up 16 points. Our offense also gave them short fields, and did little to keep any drives alive. Our defense was on the field too much. Going for it on 4th down was a very bad idea. 

There is a lot to clean up, but there were also some signs of good defensive football played by the Colts. 

Had our offense had any success, and not given away 16 points, then it is reasonable to assume our defense might have only surrendered around 24 points. That is not bad for a unit playing together for the first time. 

47 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I have never liked Monachino's defense from the start he plays way too much off coverage and that's why QB's are tearing us apart right now. Also why we made Golf look like an all pro yesterday.

He is the only DC I know that plays the CBs 5-8 yards off the LOS and then does not follow it up with zone coverage at the hash marks.  So the WR runs a simple 5 yard post or slant, easy catch and then add a missed tackle and it becomes a big gain.

I've stated several times on this forum over the last couple of seasons that Monachino is the worst DC in the NFL.  And I usually don't comment in absolutes.  But I cannot think of a worse DC than him.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

-Butler should not be playing safety. When Green got beat for the touchdown over the middle, Butler was 10 yards in front of the play and completely out of position.

-Speaking of Green, there is no logical reason to put a "project" in at CB. If you want to give him some reps in the slot during the game then thats fine. But don't start him at a primary position for a large part of the game.

-Hooker and Wilson should've played a bit more, if not the whole game. Wilson was once again in good position but didn't make a play on the ball. Hooker wasn't involved in too many plays to warrant judgement.

-Woods, Simon and George play admirably. Bostic looked lost in coverage. Hankins didn't contribute much which was very disappointing given the money he was paid.

Overall, the pass rush showed little improvement from last year while the run defense appeared to be somewhat better. The secondary is still in bad shape and the LB's still look bad in pass defense.

Spot on.
 When Cooper __ made his cut Green showed Zero closing speed. A terrible sign. If that IS his in pad reaction speed, he will not make a CB. He WILL get eaten up.   _____ Grigson/Chuck!

1 hour ago, J@son said:

No player plays the entire game.  First, they don't play offense.  Second, they need breathers...all players do.  Would have been much easier to say, Why didn't they get more playing time.  The way you worded it suggested that they didn't see the field at all. 

First, you know what I meant. Second, Hooker only player 51% or the time and Wilson only played 19% of the time according to snap counts. 

The way the game went, it sure seemed like the defense was out there the entire time. 

Either that, or I blocked out that pitiful offense behind my tears and beer mug. 

9 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Can you do simple math?

46 minus 14.(Defensive TDs)

Lets see, start with the tens. So take 40 and subtract 10.  That gives you 30 okay?

Now take the 4 and subtract that from 6. That gives you 2 okay?

Now add 30 and 2. That gives you.......... 32

Now subtract 2 points from the safety, K? 

32-2+46 right? Nope.... it gives you 30. The defense gave up 30 points. 

Thanks for participating in our weekly math lesson.

Don't feed the box score scouts.

29 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

First, you know what I meant. Second, Hooker only player 51% or the time and Wilson only played 19% of the time according to snap counts. 

The way the game went, it sure seemed like the defense was out there the entire time. 

Either that, or I blocked out that pitiful offense behind my tears and beer mug. 

Depends on which post you're talking about...the second post saying they didn't play for the entire game..yeah I knew what you meant.  Was just giving you a hard time with the "they don't play O, need breathers" post.

The first post though, no I honestly read that as you saying they weren't on the field at all. 

Hooker also missed most of TC and didn't get to play as much in preaseason as they wanted.  I don't have a huge problem with him only getting 51% of the snaps in his first game.  Wilson on the other hand is a very different story and I'd love to know the reasoning for that.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

that had far more to do with the talent (or lack thereof) on the field than it did Monachino's playcalling.  I'm not a huge Monachino fan, but let's be fair.  He's yet to have even close to a healthy secondary to work with so for those complaining about his vanilla playcalling, that's going to be mostly why.  Just like Ballard and Pagano talked about having to scheme ways to protect the QB, they have to do the same thing for our depleted secondary and that usually means playing more zone than you prefer and not blitzing as much as you'd like.

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Count me in for actually liking our new defense. I saw a lot of things to be excited about.  

However, it's kind of hard to look good when the offense keeps having three and outs, and turning the ball over. 

The secondary was lost at times.  Antonio Morrison was a liability.  The line was good against the run but little to no pressure.  There really wasn't a lot to be excited about if you ask me.

49 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

He is the only DC I know that plays the CBs 5-8 yards off the LOS and then does not follow it up with zone coverage at the hash marks.  So the WR runs a simple 5 yard post or slant, easy catch and then add a missed tackle and it becomes a big gain.

I've stated several times on this forum over the last couple of seasons that Monachino is the worst DC in the NFL.  And I usually don't comment in absolutes.  But I cannot think of a worse DC than him.

Except Monachino didn't become DC until the start of last season.  So if you've been complaining about it the last couple of seasons...no one knew what you were talking about until last year. :P

2 minutes ago, pizzaman67 said:

all new faces, i give the D a pass, they need a few weeks to get it together. plus they on the field along time. the O needs to shoulder the team a bit till the d comes together so..... 

I agree.   Pagano failed this team again in the opening game.    1-5 in opening games.