Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie on Peyton's "Perfectionism"

Detectacon

We all know how much Manning always strived to be perfect. This is a short article that puts it into perspective from Reggie's point of view. Seven years without a mistake is crazy. Too bad the defense didn't strive for the same. If they had we would likely have more Lombardi's.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reggie-wayne-recalls-peyton-manning-105818789.html

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

Thanks for that.

Shows you how lucky we were to have him.

Yeah, there just are not many people like him.... work ethic and the ability to demand other's respect.  We were indeed lucky.  Could have been Leaf instead.

7 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Yeah, there just are not many people like him.... work ethic and the ability to demand other's respect.  We were indeed lucky.  Could have been Leaf instead.

Then Polian would have been fired and probably no Grigson.

I just watched NFL Films 1 hour program called Peyton Manning's 2013 Summer Football Camp narrated by Ed O'Neill AKA 'Married With Children's" Al Bundy. I'd seen it before, but watching it again on my DVR made me appreciate how meticulous Manning truly was in everything he did from footwork, to the sound his back foot makes when he plants it right, to repetition in practice which leads to precision on game day.

18 was always tougher on himself than anybody would be & because of that Peyton could school his teammates on how important crisp route running was. He never upstaged or humiliated any Colt or Bronco publicly. It was only done to make the team better as a unit. 

His drive to win was incredible from lifting weights, to film study, to team bonding by cracking jokes with the offense.

Just once though I wanted to see him blow up beyond arguing with Jeff Saturday to throw the ball more than run it on the sideline. I just wanna know the dude is human you know. We're not always peaches & cream man. LOL! 

That's why I love that SNL skit. "Spend time with your kids so Peyton Manning doesn't." 

It's funny because it's the polar opposite of who he is. Like Dennis Rodman doing a commercial encouraging people not to get piercings, tattoos, & advocating for lifelong celibacy. Not who the dude is at his core which is why it would strike fans as hysterical or amusing anyway. 

2 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, we need that type leadership out of Luck.

Luck can't lead like Peyton could (who could?) but he will definitely put his life on the line for a win. I think that kind of leadership is just as effective.

like I needed any more reason to think Peyton was the actual GOAT. If only our front office and defense had even half the same drive and football smarts as him we would have had so much success. But i'll never be mad about that Lombardi we hoisted in 2006 that was a special one.

6 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Andrew seems like the kind of guy who needs a more complete team around him. I'm not saying he hasn't lead us back, obviously he has. But he is still a very good franchise QB, and I have no doubt can win multiple SBs. Not that you were saying otherwise. 

On 7/1/2017 at 3:30 AM, southwest1 said:

I just watched NFL Films 1 hour program called Peyton Manning's 2013 Summer Football Camp narrated by Ed O'Neill AKA 'Married With Children's" Al Bundy. 

Just once though I wanted to see him blow up beyond arguing with Jeff Saturday to throw the ball more than run it on the sideline. I just wanna know the dude is human you know. We're not always peaches & cream man. LOL! 

Al Bundy??? Well I bet it still wasn't worse than Billy Bob Thorton doing the Favre DVD.

Anyway are we all going to pretend Peyton Manning didn't call that kicker an * or make that girl a batch of homeade tea? I think both incidents are hilarious fwiw.

On 7/1/2017 at 3:30 AM, southwest1 said:

I just watched NFL Films 1 hour program called Peyton Manning's 2013 Summer Football Camp narrated by Ed O'Neill AKA 'Married With Children's" Al Bundy.

{snip!}

4 Touchdowns in one game at Polk High Al Bundy?

Cant resist-

On 7/1/2017 at 11:36 AM, superrep1967 said:

I'm not sure.  Luck isn't the same leader but I'm not sure he's bad.

Luck 2 out of the last 3 years (the 2015 year being the exception due to injuries) has had the Colts as a top 5 offense.  

Despite the OL problems and problems with dropped balls during games, Colts are a top 5 offense.  

Luck doesn't play defense and I don't know how much leadership is going to fix our defensive problems.  Defense flat out suffers from a lack of talent. Grigson for the most part didn't spend much on blue chip defensive players.  And the times that he did, they turned out to be busts.  It was especially on defense where Grigson was always looking for the diamond in the rough.  

Leaders can only help an under-performing group of talented individuals.  The greatest leader in the world can't make gold out of crap.  

21 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Luck doesn't play defense and I don't know how much leadership is going to fix our defensive problems.  Defense flat out suffers from a lack of talent. Grigson for the most part didn't spend much on blue chip defensive players.  And the times that he did, they turned out to be busts.  It was especially on defense where Grigson was always looking for the diamond in the rough.  

Manning had a way of hiding the inferior defenses.   He would score early and often in the first half.   This made teams give up on the run and pass almost exclusively (even though they were rushing for 5 YPC).   The Colts defense would reap the benefits with INT's and sacks.  

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Manning had a way of hiding the inferior defenses.   He would score early and often in the first half.   This made teams give up on the run and pass almost exclusively (even though they were rushing for 5 YPC).   The Colts defense would reap the benefits with INT's and sacks.  

Our current defense has not done well in getting sacks or stopping the pass game even when it has a lead.  

The defense during Manning's years had good pass rushers.  Which made it a solid pass defense unit even it couldn't stop the run well.  No one on our defense is anything close to Freeney in his prime or Mathis in his prime.