Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know other than he has had a sore right knee. I didn't think he would be out this long. We are 0-6 without him now.

Hopefully some news soon on when he will be back. It can't be that serious can it be? I thought in the first game or two he missed it might just be for rest. Guess not now. I have heard nothing about anything serious with him.

But there is this odd thing with great players in Indy getting hurt it seems.:(

Dipo needs to get back soon! The east is more fun with him around in it.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Thunder are destroying the Lakers 126-90. Thunder still in that 5 spot in the West. The Big3 tore it up tonight. PG 24 on 9-14, Westbrook 20 on 10-17, and Melo 21 on 8-14. Man that is extremely efficient for 3 players to do that. They had 4 players go for 20+ tonight, Ferguson also had 24 and hit 6 3's.

.....and watching the game, they had some taped 'moments' with Paul George talking about his love for Los Angeles and his memories of growing up there and rooting for the Lakers.

Paul's parents somehow also got front row seats to the game.

I've come full circle on this. If he is not going to Los Angeles after this year, I'd be pretty surprised now...

They may challenge Golden State eventually.

But he's either a great on-screen actor or he's going to L.A. ...next season.

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

.....and watching the game, they had some taped 'moments' with Paul George talking about his love for Los Angeles and his memories of growing up there and rooting for the Lakers.

Paul's parents somehow also got front row seats to the game.

I've come full circle on this. If he is not going to Los Angels after this year, I'd be pretty surprised now...

They may challenge Golden State eventually.

But he's either a great on-screen actor or he's going to L.A. ...next season.

I can already picture it now. Magic will sign PG and Cousins to go with Lonzo, Ingram, and Kuzma lmao That is the Laker way haha 

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can already picture it now. Magic will sign PG and Cousins to go with Lonzo, Ingram, and Kuzma lmao That is the Laker way haha 

Not that crazy.....PG fits a lot better with Kuzma,  Lonzo and Ingram than LBJ does

Golden State basically plays with one guard and four forwards and that may be Luke Walton's model....

The 'long' team that can defend with the fast, flashy ballhandling guard...and shooters on the wing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Not that crazy.....PG fits a lot better with Kuzma,  Lonzo and Ingram than LBJ does

Golden State basically plays with one guard an four forwards and that may be Luke Walton's model....

The 'long' team that can defend with the fast, flashy ballhandling guard...and shooters on the wing

Imagine Lakers with a lineup of Lonzo running full blast at PG, Ingram at the 2 tall and shooting over guys, PG at the 3, Kuzma at the 4, and Cousins at the 5. That team wins 50 games easily. That whole nucleus is young too. Hell PG is still only 28.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Thunder are destroying the Lakers 126-90. Thunder still in that 5 spot in the West. The Big3 tore it up tonight. PG 24 on 9-14, Westbrook 20 on 10-17, and Melo 21 on 8-14. Man that is extremely efficient for 3 players to do that. They had 4 players go for 20+ tonight, Ferguson also had 24 and hit 6 3's.

That Lakers defense was TRASH....I mean when teams are too lazy to even contest a shot that's bad....horrible turnovers turning into easy layups etc....nothing to read out of that win except that the Lakers are very very undisciplined.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Imagine Lakers with a lineup of Lonzo running full blast at PG, Ingram at the 2 tall and shooting over guys, PG at the 3, Kuzma at the 4, and Cousins at the 5. That team wins 50 games easily. That whole nucleus is young too. Hell PG is still only 28.

Very true.    Folks think Paul is a lot older than he is....

That team can switch defensively 1-2-3-4 and there's no mismatch....

....and that team attracts other free agents because you aren't paying Lonzo and Kuzma much yet.

...and, it would seem, .the Lakers are going to draft high again this year.

I think Luke's task was/is to try to create a younger version of Golden State. I;m sure that's what he talks about with Magic.  The new 'Showtime'

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, Jules said:

Oh come on, we are getting Pacers/Raptors for the ECF. Oldunclemark's dream series.

Seriously though, I have no delusions that Boston can beat Cleveland in a full series right now. The Kyrie playoff factor might help them extend it but they aren't ready yet/too young and they are missing a piece or two.

What if Hayward can come back and play some minutes...knock down some shots? Boston is hungry....Cleveland has way more talent...but we are a long way from July and D Wades knees have to hold up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That Lakers defense was TRASH....I mean when teams are too lazy to even contest a shot that's bad....horrible turnovers turning into easy layups etc....nothing to read out of that win except that the Lakers are very very undisciplined.

Yeah Lakers are struggling and stink right now, Lonzo has been out for a week though. Thunder have a crap load of talent.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They don't believe they can win yet and you can see it.

OKC hit them with solid veteran effort and they folded....

//There;s some young guys on the Lakers who are grinding through the long season and their effort isn't there every night.

Lakers core is very young

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, oldunclemark said:

I dont have anything against Stevens or the Celtics. I dont care abut them
He just hasn't done anything yet.

No titles..No finals....Those are facts, right?  Everything else is opinion

Since when do we crown people the undisputed best BEFORE they accomplish anything???

Everyone did Lebron....and for awhile people wondered....and then he proved them right. Brad has taken below talent everywhere he has been and overachieved.....CONSISTENTLY....he just needs talent on par and I think you will see him get a championship. Who else is taking a mid-major to the Championship game...then bring them back minus their best player. He takes a bunch of kids to the Eastern Conference finals...and most importantly your seeing those kids really start to blossom under his leadership. He is a good coach and it isn't just people in Indiana that cares....look at almost any basketball teams board and ask if they could have any coach in college or pros who they would want.....guarantee Brad Stevens is going to win that poll every time. Heck UK has threads upon threads of how they would want him over Calipari if they could get him. He isn't just good....he is a great coach Mark.

• Thanks 1

Had LeBron played his whole career in Cleveland and won 2 or 3 Championships, I would think much differently about him and probably have him as a Top 5 player of all-time. When he left Cleveland to join Wade and Bosh in Miami that was just a soft move - easy way out to make sure he would win it all. Jordan never left Chicago in his prime, nor did Larry leave Boston, or Magic leave LA. I still cant get over it and never will. LeBron is a Top 3 talent of all-time but only a TOP 10 PLAYER in reality, not TOP 5. Kobe played 20 seasons in the same place too, that is what tough guys do.

Here is a good question....the Pacers started out hot and have since cooled (a lot to do with Dipo out). If they don't get it back on track when he returns and they fall out of playoffs do they sell?? Couple good pieces for a playoff team possibly we could move (Young/Bogs etc) and maybe get an extra draft pick. I'm all for letting this team play it out but if it loses momentum and fall out of contention I'm all for gather assets.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Here is a good question....the Pacers started out hot and have since cooled (a lot to do with Dipo out). If they don't get it back on track when he returns and they fall out of playoffs do they sell?? Couple good pieces for a playoff team possibly we could move (Young/Bogs etc) and maybe get an extra draft pick. I'm all for letting this team play it out but if it loses momentum and fall out of contention I'm all for gather assets.

Nah I like our teams chemistry actually and would just add to it when Free Agency rolls around. We are only struggling because Dipo is out. That is understandable with Dipo averaging 25 a game and is a Good closer.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LeBron has made 7 straight Finals, will this be the end?

I doubt it.  If the Celtics get Hayward back(which is doubtful) or unless Toronto, Washington or Boston makes a trade, I don't see any of those teams beating the Cavs 4 times.  With that being said, LeBron will lose another finals.  I think the Warriors would win in 5.  I also think the Spurs will get rolling and would beat the Cavs too.  If Houston somehow made it, the Cavs would beat them. 

• Like 1

This is a bad team. Good teams don't lose multiple games by 15+.

It might be for the best in the long run. You know you've got a blue chip in Victor and maybe he can get some help, if they're a lottery team this year instead of an also ran 6th or lower seed.

The air is getting let out of this ballon quickly.

I hope there's not something more going on with Victor. We're getting close to a point where I'm expecting to hear about a *snowboarding accident* or some other conspiracy. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

LeBron has made 7 straight Finals, will this be the end?

Doubtful....Lebron is the new Bill Russell...not only does he get to the finals every year but he is like gm/player/coach....how is he not the MVP every year?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This is a bad team. Good teams don't lose multiple games by 15+.

It might be for the best in the long run. You know you've got a blue chip in Victor and maybe he can get some help, if they're a lottery team this year instead of an also ran 6th or lower seed.

The air is getting let out of this ballon quickly.

I hope there's not something more going on with Victor. We're getting close to a point where I'm expecting to hear about a *snowboarding accident* or some other conspiracy. 

I would like to see one more young star added to the roster....I agree we could then surround with good talent in free agency...guys that know how to win. We have good cap space and if we could get a guy at the back end of the top 10 hopefully they could be our next Paul George. We have a real opportunity to turn things around quickly if we get the right guys. Course it wouldn't hurt to draft better.....Leaf as I expected can't even get on the floor...to think we could have taken Kuzma or Anunoby....I still can't believe we took this kid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Doubtful....Lebron is the new Bill Russell...not only does he get to the finals every year but he is like gm/player/coach....how is he not the MVP every year?

Great comparison and I actually have him rated higher than Bill Russell as an all-time player. That shows I don't completely put all my weight on Championships when ranking the alpha Dog players.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Everyone did Lebron....and for awhile people wondered....and then he proved them right. Brad has taken below talent everywhere he has been and overachieved.....CONSISTENTLY....he just needs talent on par and I think you will see him get a championship. Who else is taking a mid-major to the Championship game...then bring them back minus their best player. He takes a bunch of kids to the Eastern Conference finals...and most importantly your seeing those kids really start to blossom under his leadership. He is a good coach and it isn't just people in Indiana that cares....look at almost any basketball teams board and ask if they could have any coach in college or pros who they would want.....guarantee Brad Stevens is going to win that poll every time. Heck UK has threads upon threads of how they would want him over Calipari if they could get him. He isn't just good....he is a great coach Mark.

dg;

Name me any great pro sports coach who has never even led his team to a championship game or series?

My problem is with the word 'great'/

You like him because he coached Butler..Had he coached UC-Santa Barbara we wouldnt be having this discussion. right?

You can not be a great pro coach without winning a title in the pros....or even playing for one...You know that.         Frank Vogel led us to 2 East finals and no one (and I mean NO ONE) ever called him great.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

What if Hayward can come back and play some minutes...knock down some shots? Boston is hungry....Cleveland has way more talent...but we are a long way from July and D Wades knees have to hold up.

Celtics are hungry indeed, but scary young outside of Al Horford. And a lot does run through Horford, when he has fresh legs off a few days off (like he did last night) he can beast out there defensively and hit big shots. But when he is tired it really does show. But this Celtics team is kinda infectious to watch. I see them all the time where I live and they sometimes don't show up for a game or two but when they want to show up........it's pretty exciting since you can feel their energy and know they will find some way to win a game. They sometimes ride waves of emotion too and get flat vs. teams or get higher then high and over achieve against others.

Just a lot of fun. 

I absolutely think the C's have a shot this year but how far they go is almost just gravy since guys like Tatum and Brown are just going to keep getting better and the Cs have a shot to get the Lakers pick too now.  They match up well with this years Cleveland team and the Warriors too. They have the #1 defense and young athletic guards. Problem is? They are young and not all elite shooters outside of Kyrie and sometimes they go cold and the bench goes cold and the shots go cold and you see them going back and forth chucking shots that won't go in for sometimes a full quarter and the only way they hang in there is having the top defense.

IF they can get all their shots to go in later........they got a shot since the D is there and the coaching is there. But it's tough since they will be playing teams with elite shooters in the postseason. But there is a sense of hunger like you said with Boston. And I laugh my butt off at times over Marcus Smart and Rozier, those dudes are just hilarious.

You could argue that last year the Celtics should not have even been in the ECFs, should have even lost to the first round Bulls and maybe would have if Rondo didn't get hurt. Then vs. the Wizards they struggled mightily and IT got nailed hard and Brad Stevens somehow got them to the ECFs.

Last night was special since it showed the Celtics no longer want to be bullied by the Cavs in Boston unlike last year where they got humiliated. Does this translate into the playoffs? I don't know......but last night Cleveland kinda waved the white flag in the end too and the final minutes were meaningless. 

And Kyrie has grown up too under Stevens, he is OK now with letting himself not shoot and being a decoy and the other guys taking over the game. People forget Kyrie Irving is still only 25 even though it feels he has been around for ages.

I feel sorry for Isaiah too, a lot of people in Cleveland are banking on the little guy with a bad hip to save them this year. And IT looks so genuinely happy in Boston it still pains me to see. He said he had private moments last night with Danny Ainge, Brad Stevens and Kyrie Irving. He says he loves the support in Cleveland and being back, but he will always have a home in Boston in his heart. I hope the best for IT from now on and he is a FA this offseason.

The C's are giving IT a tribute video to start the Celtics/Cavs game in February. And the rest of the night is dedicated to honoring Paul Pierce and retiring his number after the game. Heck last night the Celtics gave Crowder a screen shout out and cheers too since Crowder felt hurt too with the trade.

As for Gordon Hayward, still up in the air. I don't think anyone expects him to play this year or will hold it against him if he doesn't since that injury was so brutal. But if he does show up it gets real. I think he will return well to the game though when he does, apparently he has healed remarkably since it was a clean break but there is a lot of work to do in terms of being able to tell if he is ready for game action against the best of the best. He works out 5 to 6 hours a day, uses his toes to pick things up I read and does video game simulation therapy directed by Stevens for basketball practice.

According to Hayward, the biggest therapy at times was more mental than physical since it's so depressing. He said Kobe Bryant helped him a lot in this regard for motivation. Also even if Hayward can't play he eventually can be cleared to stand and sit on the sidelines and help out and be a cheerleader which will be a boost.

Lebron did say last night he thinks the east is tough this year. He mentioned the Celtics, Raptors and Wizards etc. 

Cavs might be in trouble if they can't nearly sweep the east this year again since that team gets tired very very fast. Too many aging legs.......but Lebron is still clearly at his best so they are the favorites.

The Warriors are still on their own island though of greatness. Heck Steph Curry looks like a video game player since he returned from his injury.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Don't tell the Cavaliers that

Did you really just compare the Cav's situation to the Pacers?

And they haven't lost 5 in a row, being blown out start to finish. 

Do I even need to say this is a bad comparison?

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Did you really just compare the Cav's situation to the Pacers?

No. Actually, you did......Cavs have lost more than a couple by more than 15

They just lost 4 in a row........and they've been blown out

""Good teams don't lose multiple games by 15""  Why would you say something crazy like that?

Come on. Its the NBA.

Cant make absolute statements like that. They're always wrong.

The Pacers will be fine.. Its a losing streak. Not our first. Not our last

Edited by oldunclemark

16 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

dg;

Name me any great pro sorts coach who has never even led his team to a championship game or series?

My problem is with the word 'great'/

You can not be a great pro coach without winning a title in the pros....or even playing for one...You know that.         Frank Vogel led us to 2 East finals and no one (and I mean NO ONE) ever called him great.

Not sure you get it, but you might never do until Stevens does get to the finals or wins a title.

But many people in the league consider Stevens one of the best minds out there and think he is terrific, just have to accept that.

You don't have to use the word "great" btw if you don't want to. Just that he is at times absolutely a brilliant basketball mind. 

Stevens isn't working with teams as loaded as the Warriors or Cavs either keep in mind. He has dragged teams in college and so far in the pros farther than most believe they should go. The reason most are even doubtful at times by say the Celtics this year or last year and guys like Barkley can put them down, is because they don't have this lineup that can rival Lebron or the Warriors or even OKC or the Spurs.

BTW nobody yet for a long time has cracked the Lebron thing in the eastern conference. Last team to beat him was Boston to get to the finals when they were loaded with KG/Pierce/Ray Allen etc.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No. Actually, you did......Cavs have lost more than a couple by more than 15

They just lost 4 in a row........and they've been blown out

Cant make absolute statements like that. They're always wrong

But thats the Cavs and they got Lebron. lmao Not much more needs to even be said at times. 

Although I do think the Cavs defense is awful so........maybe that is one thing they got going on to compare to the Pacers.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Not sure you get it, but you might never do until Stevens does get to the finals or wins a title.

But many people in the league consider Stevens one of the best minds out there and think he is terrific, just have to accept that.

You don't have to use the word "great" btw if you don't want to. Just that he is at times absolutely a brilliant basketball mind. 

Stevens isn't working with teams as loaded as the Warriors or Cavs either keep in mind. He has dragged teams in college and so far in the pros farther than most believe they should go. The reason most are even doubtful at times by say the Celtics this year or last year and guys like Barkley can put them down, is because they don't have this lineup that can rival Lebron or the Warriors or even OKC or the Spurs.

BTW nobody yet for a long time has cracked the Lebron thing in the eastern conference. Last team to beat him was Boston to get to the finals when they were loaded with KG/Pierce/Ray Allen etc.

Jules...stop yourself

You have to win something to be great.........no excuses

Be honest. . Why do you care about the coach of the Boston Celtics?

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah Lebron is kinda like the modern day Bill Russell in that respect but with less rings lol. 

But Lebron's team looked OLD vs. the Celtics last night........OLD. I don't know how this will end this year yet, I really don't.

Logically if the Cavs/Celtics meet up in the playoffs again I would still favor the Cavs to win the series but say Boston pushes it harder and longer then last year and inches closer again.

But man oh man this years Celtics team at times can be fearless. lmao 

12 minutes ago, Jules said:

But thats the Cavs and they got Lebron. lmao Not much more needs to even be said at times. 

Although I do think the Cavs defense is awful so........maybe that is one thing they got going on to compare to the Pacers.

Good teams get beat by 15 all the time in the NBA......I know you know that.  Right?

Its wrong to say that good teams don't get blown out by 15 or more.

Its just incorrect.......

When the Pacers in 5 win a row....the reaction is: Its a miracle!!!!

. When they lose 5 in a row. Somehow..they're terrible....and we knew it all along.

Really?

LeBron is a better player than what Bill Russell was. Rings are huge when ranking players but why don't people realize 8 of Russell's Rings he only had to win 2 series. Now days you have to win 4 series. Russell won a crap of load of his Rings when there were like 12 teams in the league and you had to win 2 series. They used to kick the crap out of the Lakers because they had 8 all-stars on their team and LA had West and Baylor and a pile of dung. I guarantee the Russell Celtics wouldn't of beat the 80's Lakers, no way could he guard Kareem and that Lakers team with Magic and Worthy would've ran them off the court. Could you imagine Bob Cousy trying to guard Magic, Jesus that would be like watching the midget from Fantasy Island guarding Shaq!

• Like 1

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Jules...stop yourself

You have to win something to be great.........no excuses

Be honest. . Why do you care about the coach of the Boston Celtics?

I grew up in Indiana but my family moved to New England when I was only 8 and a half for my dads work. I don't think you even know I live in NE. lmao  I have not even been to Indy since 2007 at the moment. I am also engaged (as of Christmas Eve) to a life long Celtics fan who was born and raised in the city Worcester, MA. 

He got me to jump on the Celtics wagon full time in the summer when Hayward came over and it was easy........since I never kept a real loyalty to the Pacers after moving from Indy. I only kept a loyalty to the Colts. I used to follow Brad's Butler teams too when he was there and went nuts over them. Since the Celtics have Stevens it was easy for me. 

I have often floundered around in the NBA a lot just rooting for players. Like Kobe or Lebron etc.

I think my man actually finds it kinda taboo btw that he got me to get more into the Celtics than the Lakers but the poor Lakers are so awful. lmao Since my all time favorite player will always be Kobe Bryant and since I always was into Lebron. He gave me a Paul Pierce jersey and said "green is hot on you".:lol:

We found common ground in basketball, but never with football. lmao But baseball will be tougher. Red Sox fans are insane......they really are. They talk about the Yankees btw more then the Red Sox even.

Besides, it shouldn't bother you if people gush over Brad Stevens. Brad is a good guy.......

But don't worry, never going to dump the Colts. I been a Colts fan since birth and always will be a Colts fan. I have Colts scarves, hats and even posters etc. I often have been called "Jules the Colts fan." lmao 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Good teams get beat by 15 all the time in the NBA......I know you know that.  Right?

Its wrong to say that good teams don't get blown out by 15 or more.

Its just incorrect

Of course teams get blown out. Seen it with the best in the east this year several times already. Seen the Cavs look like crap several times this year. Seen the Celtics lose to the banged up Heat and a few stupid teams etc.

Seen the Wizards lose to some bad teams.

It happens. And you can't show up every night. Boston usually doesn't lose more then a couple in a row though and Lebron usually does bounce back with his team.

Problem is are the Pacers set up later to flip a switch? Nobody is expecting the Pacers this year to be a real threat. The reputation for them is simply not there yet currently. Even when asked about the east last night Lebron only mentioned the Celtics/Raptors/Wizards.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

I grew up in Indiana but my family moved to New England when I was only 8 and a half for my dads work. I don't think you even know I live in NE. lmao  I have not even been to Indy since 2007 at the moment. I am also engaged (as of Christmas Eve) to a life long Celtics fan who was born and raised in the city Worcester, MA. 

He got me to jump on the Celtics wagon full time in the summer when Hayward came over and it was easy........since I never kept a real loyalty to the Pacers after moving from Indy. I only kept a loyalty to the Colts. I used to follow Brad's Butler teams too when he was there and went nuts over them. Since the Celtics have Stevens it was easy for me. 

I have often floundered around in the NBA a lot just rooting for players. Like Kobe or Lebron etc.

I think my man actually finds it kinda taboo btw that he got me to get more into the Celtics than the Lakers but the poor Lakers are so awful. lmao Since my all time favorite player will always be Kobe Bryant and since I always was into Lebron. He gave me a Paul Pierce jersey and said "green is hot on you".:lol:

We found common ground in basketball, but never with football. lmao But baseball will be tougher. Red Sox fans are insane......they really are. They talk about the Yankees btw more then the Red Sox even.

Besides, it shouldn't bother you if people gush over Brad Stevens. Brad is a good guy.......

But don't worry, never going to dump the Colts. I been a Colts fan since birth and always will be a Colts fan. I have Colts scarves, hats and even posters etc. I often have been called "Jules the Colts fan." lmao 

Tell him Cubs rule, that will drive him nuts lmao. Actually if you were a Yankees fan that would irk him. Luckily you aren't. RedSox fans hate the Yankees.

Thank you.  You make my point.

People love Stevens because he coached Butler.     That's Okay.

But it means you're biased towards him. You think he's great in Boston because he coached at Butler and you liked him. . You do see that, right?

Chuck Pagano led his team to the AFC title game (the football equivalent of the conference finals) and believe me.

No one has EVER called him great. Because hes not a 'great guy" ??   

In the real world, you and I have no idea if Brad Stevens  is, as you say,  a good guy. You want to believe he is because he coached here.You're a fan.. IT makes you see things that aren't yet there.  I'm not from Indy and have no allegiance or interest in Butler or the Boston Celtics so I don't share your love for your guy Brad. That's okay both ways

But greatness is a high standard and, to me, Brad Stevens is nowhere near it yet