Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

14 hours ago, Jules said:

Yeah Lebron is kinda like the modern day Bill Russell in that respect but with less rings lol. 

But Lebron's team looked OLD vs. the Celtics last night........OLD. I don't know how this will end this year yet, I really don't.

Logically if the Cavs/Celtics meet up in the playoffs again I would still favor the Cavs to win the series but say Boston pushes it harder and longer then last year and inches closer again.

But man oh man this years Celtics team at times can be fearless. lmao 

I need to see how IT changes the dynamics of the team. He is one guy that can definitely spark a team. They also have that Brooklyn pick so they could use that to go out and get Paul George or another difference maker if they saw the wheels coming off. If I'm them I don't trade it because they have to get younger sometime but who knows what Lebron forces them into doing. There will always be a guy waived or bought out that will come as well so a lot will change from now til then...but for sure the Celtics are dynamic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jules said:

He is so dreamy.......sigh.

Just a baby faced adult nerd. Happy sigh........

But he already has shown he has what it takes in the pros. lmao You act like he bumbles around clueless half the time.

13 hours ago, Jules said:

Reporter: "So tell us Kyrie, whats the real reason you wanted to go to Boston?".

Kyrie: "Brad Stevens is sooooo cute. So nice. I just love him!."

Reporter: "So it had nothing to do with Lebron?"

Kyrie: "Well yeah, I mean Brad is cuter then Lebron, duh. Lebron looks so scary! He scares me!"

To be fair it's not like Brad is hot or anything. lmao It's just yeah he is the baby faced adult man who looks like a nice guy.

Okay I am done........

OMG....you sound just like my wife. I'm like "Did you just see that play he drew up in the time out!!" "Brillent!!!".....my wife.....he has the prettiest eyes....he's sooo cuteee! lol

The nerd thing I don't understand because he was a great Indiana High School basketball player..I'm sure most on this board remember him if they follow ISHAA at all. He even followed it up with a pretty good college career. Here is a snippet from his wiki page. His basketball success is NO FLUKE...yes everyone talks about how he quit at Eli Lilly to be an assistant coach and think he just somehow is this unknowing guy that stumbled into success in basketball....the guy ate, slept, and grew up on good fundamental Indiana basketball. While yes he has the boy next door charm and look he was actually a high school star so he can't be ALL NERD. lol Here is his bio if interested.

Stevens attended Zionsville Community High School, where he became a star basketball player.[7] He wore No. 31 in high school in honor of Indiana Pacers guard Reggie Miller.[12] During his freshman year, he would get up early to practice shooting at a local gym before school.[13] The hard work paid off as Stevens made the varsity team that same year.[13] By the time his high school career was complete, Stevens had set school records for career scoring, assists, steals, and three-point field goals. As of 2017, he still holds the records for career points per game average (26.8) total career points (1508), assists (444), and steals (156), as well as the single-season points record (644 in 1995).[14] Stevens was named to the all-conference team three times. In 1995, he was named the sectional MVP and was the leading scorer in state sectional play (32.3 ppg).[15]

Stevens made the academic all-state first team and received the Straight A Gold Medal Award all four years.[15] He was a member of the National Honor Society, graduating seventh in his class of 165.[15] He earned three letters in basketball, three in track, and one in baseball during his days at Zionsville.[15] During summers, he traveled the country playing AAU basketball.[8]

Although Stevens had a strong passion for the game, he realized that his basketball skills were modest and not likely to get him very far.[11] As such, he chose to attend academically oriented DePauw University.[9] During his stay, he played in all 101 DePauw games, earning four varsity letters.[15] He earned multiple all-conference and academic all-conference awards, and was a three-time Academic All-America nominee.[15][16] He was a team captain his senior year, and averaged more than 8 points per game three of his four years.[11][17] His career highs were 24 points and 8 rebounds in a game.[15] After his senior year, Stevens received the Coaches’ Award.[15] Coach Bill Fenlon later described Stevens as "one of the most selfless, team-oriented person [sic] I've ever been around."[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Stevens

Maybe there is some bias on this board...but heck go to the UK board....they drool over luring him away to replace Cal....so @oldunclemarkit doesn't matter what YOU categorize him as....he is probably the most sought after coach in all of basketball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Thank you.  You make my point.

People love Stevens because he coached Butler.     That's Okay.

But it means you're biased towards him. You think he's great in Boston because he coached at Butler and you liked him. . You do see that, right?

Chuck Pagano led his team to the AFC title game (the football equivalent of the conference finals) and believe me.

No one has EVER called him great. Because hes not a 'great guy" ??   

In the real world, you and I have no idea if Brad Stevens  is, as you say,  a good guy. You want to believe he is because he coached here.You're a fan.. IT makes you see things that aren't yet there.  I'm not from Indy and have no allegiance or interest in Butler or the Boston Celtics so I don't share your love for your guy Brad. That's okay both ways

But greatness is a high standard and, to me, Brad Stevens is nowhere near it yet

You've got to be kidding me. I get it, winning says A LOT, but looking at the quality of players he had at Butler and at Boston beyond this year, he's been way overachieving. They should have beat Duke had they hit their free-throws and there is no reason that Boston team should have won 50+ games 2 years ago. That says a TON about him, especially now that he has a comparable top NBA roster, and he's missing one of his best players. Immediately after Heyward went down, everyone's reaction was "there goes Boston's chance", but they haven't missed a beat really. If you can't see what the guy has done and come away impressed, I believe your standards/expectations are a bit skewed/biased. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I consider him a great coach by what he has accomplished in college and pros. He led a mid major to the ncaa championship back to back years. Where he coached at makes no difference. What if its because of his dreamy blue eyes?? The guy has been successful everywhere he has been and overachieved....he is well on his way to winning a championship at some point. He took a lottery team in Boston to the playoffs and has gone further every year. I'm not talking all-time great coaches here....but the guy has been a success at every stop along the way...even his playing career. He knows the game...knows what he is doing....gets the very most out of his teams...and I would understand if it was just people on an Indiana message board that is lauding the guy but it is universal....well except you....literally every nba analyst, sports caster, fellow coach, and players think the world of him. I'm not going to argue that he isn't a great coach. Let's put it this way...if he coached football...would you hire him?? Enough said! Was Jerry Sloan not a great coach...oh wait he played at UofE...he has Indiana ties. George Karl or Don Nelson? Was Marv Levy or George Allen not great coaches? What about Bill Snyder, Bo Schembecler, Frank Beamer. Eddie Sutton, Lou Carnesseca, Bobby Huggins etc etc etc. I know Championships are important and Stevens has a long road ahead of him but he has proven in this modern era he connects with players, he knows the game, and he is very successful...and every single team in college or nba outside of GS, SA, and Duke, NC, UK, KU would probably swap their coach for him. This isn't an Indiana thing....the guy is really really good and recognized by every fan base. He may not be one of the greatest...or legendary...but he is a great coach. In a landscape full of average coaches....meh....he is one that definitely stands out!

Great Post. I almost brought up Coach Sloan last night. He never won it all but he was Great IMO. Is it his fault his Jazz lost to the GOAT in the Finals. Jazz were Very Good every year he was there, and Great in 1997 and 1998 - Chicago was just too much those years.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great Post. I almost brought up Coach Sloan last night. He never won it all but he was Great IMO. Is it his fault his Jazz lost to the GOAT in the Finals. Jazz were Very Good every year he was there, and Great in 1997 and 1998 - Chicago was just too much those years.

We are biased because he has Indiana ties....don't you remember....and he is soooooo dreeaaammyy!!! lol

Saw the Celtics tonight and watched them carry Brad Stevens to a win. lmao J/K

Most of you probably don't watch them unless maybe it's vs. the Pacers or on primetime. Tonight against the Timberwolves at home was a typical Celtics game. Basically a nasty suffocating defensive game but a shaky offensive game when the shots won't go in. I should call them the Chicago Timberwolves though.......lmao 

Basically if you love defense in basketball, the Celtics are your team this year. 8 games out of 10 they often play great defense with a few sometimes being a slip up. When they do have the explosion on offense it's pretty fun but often their games are more led by their #1 defense. Since Horford is the only "aged" player on the team really usually the Celtics can keep up the intensity on defense due to so much youth.

Also, very impressed by Kyrie the last few games. He used to get the ball hog reputation but he is nothing of the sort. His shots have not fallen in the last few games so he has been letting other guys do the work and Kyrie has been very active on the defensive end. A credit to Brad Stevens for helping to mold him into more of a leader.

And I think Marcus Smart might be my new favorite player in the NBA. Dude is flat out hilarious. He can guard just about any spot and when he makes his shots he gets this little swagger thing going on that is funny. Oh and he's the daddy of James Harden.

I got no doubt someday the Celtics will win a title under Stevens with this kind of commitment to the defensive end. They will need to make more shots though and gain some experience on the offensive end however........

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

OMG....you sound just like my wife. I'm like "Did you just see that play he drew up in the time out!!" "Brillent!!!".....my wife.....he has the prettiest eyes....he's sooo cuteee! lol

The nerd thing I don't understand because he was a great Indiana High School basketball player..I'm sure most on this board remember him if they follow ISHAA at all. He even followed it up with a pretty good college career. Here is a snippet from his wiki page. His basketball success is NO FLUKE...yes everyone talks about how he quit at Eli Lilly to be an assistant coach and think he just somehow is this unknowing guy that stumbled into success in basketball....the guy ate, slept, and grew up on good fundamental Indiana basketball. While yes he has the boy next door charm and look he was actually a high school star so he can't be ALL NERD. lol Here is his bio if interested.

Stevens attended Zionsville Community High School, where he became a star basketball player.[7] He wore No. 31 in high school in honor of Indiana Pacers guard Reggie Miller.[12] During his freshman year, he would get up early to practice shooting at a local gym before school.[13] The hard work paid off as Stevens made the varsity team that same year.[13] By the time his high school career was complete, Stevens had set school records for career scoring, assists, steals, and three-point field goals. As of 2017, he still holds the records for career points per game average (26.8) total career points (1508), assists (444), and steals (156), as well as the single-season points record (644 in 1995).[14] Stevens was named to the all-conference team three times. In 1995, he was named the sectional MVP and was the leading scorer in state sectional play (32.3 ppg).[15]

Stevens made the academic all-state first team and received the Straight A Gold Medal Award all four years.[15] He was a member of the National Honor Society, graduating seventh in his class of 165.[15] He earned three letters in basketball, three in track, and one in baseball during his days at Zionsville.[15] During summers, he traveled the country playing AAU basketball.[8]

Although Stevens had a strong passion for the game, he realized that his basketball skills were modest and not likely to get him very far.[11] As such, he chose to attend academically oriented DePauw University.[9] During his stay, he played in all 101 DePauw games, earning four varsity letters.[15] He earned multiple all-conference and academic all-conference awards, and was a three-time Academic All-America nominee.[15][16] He was a team captain his senior year, and averaged more than 8 points per game three of his four years.[11][17] His career highs were 24 points and 8 rebounds in a game.[15] After his senior year, Stevens received the Coaches’ Award.[15] Coach Bill Fenlon later described Stevens as "one of the most selfless, team-oriented person [sic] I've ever been around."[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Stevens

Maybe there is some bias on this board...but heck go to the UK board....they drool over luring him away to replace Cal....so @oldunclemarkit doesn't matter what YOU categorize him as....he is probably the most sought after coach in all of basketball.

Yeah Stevens himself was a good athlete. I think he just gets the nerd rep since he looks kinda nerdy in a boyish way and he is a game film nerd I guess since he was a little kid.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

We are biased because he has Indiana ties....don't you remember....and he is soooooo dreeaaammyy!!! lol

I don't think the Indiana ties are everything, but it doesn't hurt so olduncle isn't 100% wrong on this at times to give him a tiny ounce of credit. If Stevens was born and raised in NYC it might not be as appealing to us.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I need to see how IT changes the dynamics of the team. He is one guy that can definitely spark a team. They also have that Brooklyn pick so they could use that to go out and get Paul George or another difference maker if they saw the wheels coming off. If I'm them I don't trade it because they have to get younger sometime but who knows what Lebron forces them into doing. There will always be a guy waived or bought out that will come as well so a lot will change from now til then...but for sure the Celtics are dynamic.

IT should help the Cavs a lot if he can stay healthy. IT has the energy and heart that could give a sometimes lazy self entitled Cavs team a boost.

Only problem is, the Cavs are a bad bad defensive team and IT can't help them in that regard. 

Cavs will always score a lot of points though most games, we know that.........

• Like 1

Celtics play the Nets tomorrow and then I think that weird London thing happens. 5 days off then the game vs. Philly in London. Then 5 more nights off.

The standings in the east might even out a bit more with Boston having so many nights off coming soon.......

Raptors are ones who are on fire at times and seem really hungry for the #1 seed. But I remember the Celtics beat them early in the year without Kyrie so I have to see them play a few more times for me to get a real feel of matchups. Wizards are often the ones who give Boston the most fits with their speed and athleticism....

Also got to give the Nets some credit. They try hard in EVERY game, till the last second. Not an easy out at all whenever you play the Nets this season. They are not as bad as last year.

On a side note, keep an eye on the Lakers pick. I believe if the Lakers get the first pick in the draft it goes to Philly. But if the pick is 2-5 it goes to Boston. I am unsure about the concrete details though.

I think olduncle is just sick of the Celtics love feast at times this year and he himself even gets caught staring into Brad's sparkling eyes. And it also don't help the Pacers blew the game vs. the Celtics not long ago. I mean what was that? lmao 

Don't worry, I might calm down a tiny bit on the Celtics thing.....maybe........

But the Pacers need to get an actual win again too for them to be more exciting to talk about again.

And I don't love how the Pacers upcoming schedule looks but they NEED a win.......any win........

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm be at the bulls and bucks games I'm hoping dipo gets is back on track!!!

Have a great time and stay warm! Good luck to the Pacers and hopefully they get back on track soon with these games.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good example. Your messiah Brad Stevens has never ever played for a title (which is what I said)

Jerry Sloan has been to 2 NBA finals and won multiple division titles......NBA Hall-of-Famer

Brad Stevens -  Butler U Hall-f-Famer (someday). Has been to no NBA finals...but I guess he's from Indy and he's cute...

Tell me why 3-time finals and one time NBA champion Tyron Lue isn't a great NBA coach but Bradley  is?

54 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Good example. Your messiah Brad Stevens has never ever played for a title (which is what I said)

Jerry Sloan has been to 2 NBA finals and won multiple division titles......NBA Hall-of-Famer

Brad Stevens -  Butler U Hall-f-Famer (someday). Has been to no NBA finals...but I guess he's from Indy and he's cute...

Tell me why 3-time finals and one time NBA champion Tyron Lue isn't a great NBA coach but Bradley  is?

Lue is a Great Coach, who said he wasn't? I never did, Brad Stevens will win a NBA Championship eventually and it wouldn't shock me if Boston wins the East this season. They even lost Hayward and still may pull it off.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Why is Tyron Lue a great coach.

The same reason Brad Stevens is, he gets his guys to play hard every night and he has a great basketball mind. He also has a high winning success rate like Brad does. Winning a Championship is important but you don't necessarily need it to be considered great eventhough Lue does have one. Like I said Sloan never won one and he was Great IMO, Don Nelson never did either and was also Great IMO. Nelson never made an NBA Finals but won a crap load of games.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The same reason Brad Stevens is, he gets his guys to play hard every night and he has a great basketball mind. He also has a high winning success rate like Brad does. Winning a Championship is important but you don't necessarily need it to be considered great eventhough Lue does have one. Like I said Sloan never won one and he was Great IMO, Don Nelson never did either and was also Great IMO. Nelson never made an NBA Finals but won a crap load of games.

You have a very different meaning to the word great...for coaches

To me, as I said, you have to have at least PLAYED FOR A TITLE (Sloan) to be a great. NBA coach.

We're talking abut pro sports.....not college...college years are not relevant to professional greatness, in my opinion.

You forget that you boy Brad hasn't even been in the NBA but for 3 years.

He hasn't been around long enough to be great. and he hasn't even played for as title

If you spend a career in the NBA and never even play for a title, you simply are not great.

There are no exceptions. There is no special qualifier because he's a Hoosier.

Just wait. If he's the God you say he is, he will earned greatness.

But by your definition Brad could have been was great even before even coached a game.

You have to see how wrong that is

30 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You have a very different meaning to the word great...for coaches

To me, as I said, you have to have at least PLAYED FOR A TITLE (Sloan) to be a great. NBA coach.

We're talking abut pro sports.....not college...college years are not relevant to professional greatness, in my opinion.

You forget that you boy Brad hasn't even been in the NBA but for 3 years.

He hasn't been around long enough to be great. and he hasn't even played for as title

If you spend a career in the NBA and never even play for a title, you simply are not great.

There are no exceptions. There is no special qualifier because he's a Hoosier.

Just wait. If he's the God you say he is, he will earned greatness.

But by your definition Brad could have been was great even before even coached a game.

You have to see how wrong that is

If you cant see his greatness I don't know what to tell you. What he did at Butler was greatx2 and was a miracle. So far with Boston he has had a great winning%. If Hayward was healthy I think they would win the East. He may still be a year away from doing that but he will get there. The Celtics are clearly better than anyone in the East (and they are young) except for the Cavs. You are going to lose this debate because once LeBron leaves Cleveland the Celtics are going to go on a run. I don't even like the Celtics but I see it coming. 

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you cant see his greatness I don't know what to tell you. What he did at Butler was greatx2 and was a miracle. So far with Boston he has had a great winning%. If Hayward was healthy I think they would win the East. He may still be a year away from doing that but he will get there. The Celtics are clearly better than anyone in the East (and they are young) except for the Cavs. You are going to lose this debate because once LeBron leaves Cleveland the Celtics are going to go on a run. I don't even like the Celtics but I see it coming. 

Like you, I dont care about the Celtics. But unlike you, I didnt care about Bad Stevens at Butler...so my mind is not fogged by what he did in college..which MUST be forgotten in his pro evaluation

You keep talking about 'if' certain people are healthy

That's not real.

You talk about....'A year away'.   Listen to yourself.

But you give him greatness now..not in a year  or 'if' somebody isn't out....Its not real.  Its a wish.

There are very, very few greats in any profession and Brad Stevens is not yet an NBA great by any non-homer barometer. Not yet.

22 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Like you, I dont care about the Celtics. But unlike you, I didnt care about Bad Stevens at Butler...so my mind is not fogged by what he did in college..which MUST be forgotten in his pro evaluation

You keep talking about 'if' certain people are healthy

That's not real.

You talk about....'A year away'.   Listen to yourself.

But you give him greatness now..not in a year  or 'if' somebody isn't out....Its not real.  Its a wish.

There are very, very few greats in any profession and Brad Stevens is not yet an NBA great by any non-homer barometer. Not yet.

Let me ask you this, where do you rank him going by just this season so far? I think he is Top 3 only maybe behind Pop who has a Great resume and needs to get the ultimate respect and behind Kerr. Boston has the 2nd best record in the league at 32-10 only behind the Warriors. Outside of those 2 Coaches I cant think of anyone I would rather have moving forward. Pop is old and may even retire soon a well.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Let me ask you this, where do you rank him going by just this season so far? I think he is Top 3 only maybe behind Pop who has a Great resume and needs to get the ultimate respect and behind Kerr. Boston has the 2nd best record in the league at 32-10 only behind the Warriors. Outside of those 2 Coaches I cant think of anyone I would rather have moving forward. Pop is old and may even retire soon a well.

He's off to a very good start as an NBA head coach, CBE...

A I mistaken. Has he coached more than 3 years?

There is a difference between how good a coach is and who you'd rather have, agreed?

You rank him ahead of Popovich for this season?  Where San Antonio is without Leonard.

What Houston has done with D'Antoni?  .and without Chris Paul?

Toronto is all players..no coaching?

Is Kyrie Irving playing well because of Brad Stevens but DeMar DeRozen doing it on his own..??

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pacers are a totally different animal when Dipo plays. We are up by 20, 53-33!

It shouldn't be that vivid..but we play like we know we're winning 64-37 at the half..

...Lord..anybody we put in plays well...tonight..

I hope Leaf gets more minutes in the second half....he needs playing time and confidence

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1