Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We play at GS on Tuesday but is any of their Big4 playing for GS? I know Curry and Durant are out. We should win that one.

We should...although they've done well at home shorthanded...and we could be without Domas

.....If we split with them, it would be quality...

Its time to get TJ Leaf and Joe Young and Big Al in there and lessen the minutes of everybody else.

I'm sure we'll do that

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Should Nate McMillan win Coach of the Year? Most NBA media = ESPN/NBA Network/TNT said we would win maybe between 32-35 games and wouldn't come close to be Playoff team. Here we are at 43-31 and 5th in the East.

I think he should.....Torotno has a very good team...They won 60 but they were a favorite going in,

McMillan has pieced together a team of virtual strangers..

...we will win at least 45 games,..

..and he's the only coach who can coach Lance....(There's got to be an award somewhere for that alone)  

To be fair, whoever coaches Utah..should be in the running, too.  

They lost their leading scorer from last year and they are in the playoffs (almost certainly) too

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I think he should.....Torotno has a very good team...They won 60 but they were a favorite going in,

He has pieced together a team of virtual strangers..

...we will win at least 45 games,..

..and he's the only coach who can coach Lance....(There's got to be an award somewhere for that alone)  

To be fair, whoever coaches Utah..should be in the running, too.  

They lost their leading scorer from last year and they are in the playoffs (almost certainly) too

Yeah I don't know how Utah is doing what they are doing. I agree Quinn Snyder is doing a Great job. They lost Hayward, Hill, and Joe Johnson. I thought they would stink. Lucky for them, Mitchell is a Great rookie.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I don't know how Utah is doing what they are doing. I agree Quinn Snyder is doing a Great job. They lost Hayward, Hill, and Joe Johnson. I thought they would stink. Lucky for them, Mitchell is a Great rookie.

Quinn Snyder.....thanks....They lost a ton...

..and he had to walk the thin line of giving Mitchell shots and possessions without offending veteran players.

And obviously, the West is tougher...

could be Utah vs. Golden State and Indy vs/. Cleveland in the first round....

(and the NBA world could get turned upside down)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We play at GS on Tuesday but is any of their Big4 playing for GS? I know Curry and Durant are out. We should win that one.

Actually they are saying that Durant is expected to make his return against us. I think Draymond returns tonight. Curry and Klay will definitely be out.

Not that I was watching 60 Minutes for that reason...but...

there was a wonderful story on Giannis and how he got to Milwaukee

I did not know that he has a younger brother who is also headed for the NBA...

I didn't know that he still lives in a 2-bedroom downtown apartment with his mom..on his $22,000,000 salary.

He is so young

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wizards lose again to the Knicks, lmao. Man we are looking solid for that 5th spot now. Wiz at 40-33, we are 43-31. They do own the tiebreaker but we now have a 2.5 game lead over them.

How can you lose at home in a playoff race . To the Knicks....??

So much for the talk that they don't need John Wall...

I still cant tell where we'll finish..the 76ers (42-30) don't have a tough schedule the rest of the way.

They have 10 games left and we only have 8....6 on the road...

The Pacers (43-31)  only have to tie them to get home court but I dont want to play in the 4-5 match....

I'd like our chances against the 76ers but the winner gets Toronto.....

I'd love for us to finish 7th and play Boston without Kyrie but we probably cant lose enough to get there

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I still cant tell where we'll finish..the 76ers (42-30) don't have a tough schedule the rest of the way.

The Pacers (43-31)  only have to tie them to get home court but I dont want to play in the 4-5 match....

I'd love for us to finish 7th and play Boston without Kyrie but we probably cant lose enough to get there

Yeah I would love to finish 4th because we would have HCA over Philly. I still think the Cavs finish 3rd.

20 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Not that I was watching 60 Minutes for that reason...but...

there was a wonderful story on Giannis and how he got to Milwaukee

I did not know that he has a younger brother who is also headed for the NBA...

I didn't know that he still lives in a 2-bedroom downtown apartment with his mom..on his $22,000,000 salary.

He is so young

I don't watch the NBA but I saw that feature on 60 Minutes. I like that kid. He seems so humble. I'm rooting for him. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't watch the NBA but I saw that feature on 60 Minutes. I like that kid. He seems so humble. I'm rooting for him. 

I had never heard him interviewed......  Greek-American groups stay after games on the road to meet him and he stays to sign autographs...

///He doesn't know the United States much but he likes Milwaukee because he can be 'low profile' 

I agree....He's the kind of player you root for...I hope his brother ends up playing with him.

That's a longshot but it would be also great for him and his family (and the Bucks as a team)

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

Bucks will make the Playoffs as either an 8th or 7 Seed more than likely. So they will make it in.

They could draw the 'lucky straw' (the 7th playoff slot) and play Boston in the first round..

Boston has so many players hurt..I don't think they can beat Milwaukee

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought Durant would be out a while, maybe not.

55 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Durant may come back Tuesday??? ....Not happy to hear that...

Don't mean to make it seem certain. I've only seen one article that said Durant could play on Tuesday. All other reports say Durant will be back sometime in this upcoming week.

• Like 1

Finally got to make it out to a game this season tonight with the youngster. Had a good time as always. 

Yo, if I see Turner shoot one more three I’m gonna rush the court and vomit on him. 

Kind of an ugly game tonight. Collison came out cold as ice in an eskimo’s freezer. For a moment I wondered if Monta Ellis was still on the team. 

Its games like tonight that worry me for the playoffs. We came out and wanted to play a lot of pick and roll offense, and when that really wasn’t working we just didn’t seem to know what else to do. 

Same thing on defense. Miami was running an effective inside out game, and we just never really caught on until well into the 3rd. 

Lots of silly turnovers. 

Still a good, gritty win. Fans were hot all night. 

I also got to meet Slick Leonard after the game. Darnell Hillman was driving him around in a golf cart and we stopped to let them pass. While they were waiting for a door to be opened for them to proceed Slick asked my son if he had fun. I shook his hand and welcomed him back, and then they were gone. 

Took my son by the Manning statue before we headed out of town. Today was a good day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Finally got to make it out to a game this season tonight with the youngster. Had a good time as always. 

Yo, if I see Turner shoot one more three I’m gonna rush the court and vomit on him. 

Kind of an ugly game tonight. Collison came out cold as ice in an eskimo’s freezer. For a moment I wondered if Monta Ellis was still on the team. 

Its games like tonight that worry me for the playoffs. We came out and wanted to play a lot of pick and roll offense, and when that really wasn’t working we just didn’t seem to know what else to do. 

Same thing on defense. Miami was running an effective inside out game, and we just never really caught on until well into the 3rd. 

Lots of silly turnovers. 

Still a good, gritty win. Fans were hot all night. 

I also got to meet Slick Leonard after the game. Darnell Hillman was driving him around in a golf cart and we stopped to let them pass. While they were waiting for a door to be opened for them to proceed Slick asked my son if he had fun. I shook his hand and welcomed him back, and then they were gone. 

Took my son by the Manning statue before we headed out of town. Today was a good day. 

That's Great stuff! Yeah the Pacers never make anything easy. We have had 10 games decided by 3 points or less and 3 OT games, we are an amazing 12-1 in those games. They drive us nuts but win haha 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great discussion by the way yesterday. I can tell you really like LeBron. I think he's a Great player and has been the best player in the league for years but it just bugs me how most the media leapfrogs him to 2nd best all-time and people buy into it. He hasn't done anything that Kareem hasn't accomplished. How's he better than Kareem? Kareem has won 6 Championships and 6 League MVP's, and is the all-time leading scorer. Kareem also played in the 80's where all the Centers were 7'0. I have seen games where Kareem has took Hakeem to school in his late 30's. I still maintain Magic was better too, Magic was a better leader and just knew how to win. Nobody else in the history of the NBA has ever won MVP of the Finals as a rookie. Magic would've had more Championships had it not been for Bird. Bird beat him in 1984.

haha yeah, it was fun! Nice change of pace from listening to people complain about Ballard.

As for Lebron, I’m actually not a huge fan. I just think he’s incredible and better at basketball then almost any one ever. My favourite is Tim Duncan.

Comparing him to Kareem is difficult. You’re essentially just throwing Kareem’s resume at Lebron. 

I think it’s important to remember what the Lakers were before Magic showed up. Kareem wasn’t taking them anywhere. It’s also important to consider : on how many of those championship teams was he actually the best player?

Kareem’s prime (age 27-30) pre-Magic :

74-75 Bucks - 38-44 (the same record they had the next season after he was traded)
75-76 Lakers - 40-42
76-77 Lakers - 53-29
77-78 Lakers - 45-37

As for Kareem vs Hakeem , I’d refer to the 1986 playoffs and maybe re-think your position. I think you’ll find Hakeem (in only his second season) showed just how good he was. Hakeem didn’t have close to the help Kareem had.

Magic and Bird were amazing, and to be honest, I rank them both above Kareem. But not ahead of Lebron.

Kareem stayed extremely consistent for an amazingly long time , but he benefited from playing on the show time Lakers as well. And they weren’t winning anything until Magic showed up.

Both he and Hakeem are legends and Top 10 players, but Kareem’s true peak was in the 70’s , the stats are supremely deceiving and the quality of competition was far easier. So it’s not as simple as comparing Kareem’s 70’s stats vs Hakeem’s 90’s stats. The pace of play in the 70’s was entirely different (way more shots , way more rebounds) , offences were entirely predicated on post play (no 3 point line) and so on.

Kareem’s teammates : Magic, Oscar Roberson, James Worthy, Bob McAdoo, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott et al.

Hakeem: Kenny Smith, (old) Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell , Vernon Maxwell.

Did you know Hakeem never had a teammate make an allstar game while playing with him in his title winning seasons? He literally won with role-players.

Kareem had Oscar and Magic (both MVP players and top 15 all time talents) and hall of fame Worthy in his prime. Plus a loaded Lakers roster.

If you want to look at total stats , sure Kareem is at or near the top. He played forever and had the sky-hook and fantastic teammates for the last 10 years of his career.

But, as individual talents I think Hakeem was better. (And Bird, Magic, Lebron)

Often when looking at great players , instead of looking at what they can do , I prefer to look at they can’t do. Hakeem could literally do everything. He had no holes. None.

-Olajuwon ended his career in the top ten all-time in blocks, scoringrebounding, and steals. He is the only player in NBA history to retire in the top ten for all four categories.

-Only player in NBA history to win regular season MVP, Finals MVP and Defensive Player of the Year awards in the same season.

-Only player in NBA history to record 200 blocks and 200 steals in the same season

-Only player in NBA history to lead his team in averaging 4 out of 5 main categories for 8 straight seasons

-Only player in NBA history to lead his team in all 5 categories (points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks) on to the NBA title 

-Only player in NBA history to win an NBA Championship without a Hall of Famer or All star

Honestly, I might even have Hakeem at number 3 behind Jordan and Lebron.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trueman said:

haha yeah, it was fun! Nice change of pace from listening to people complain about Ballard.

As for Lebron, I’m actually not a huge fan. I just think he’s incredible and better at basketball then almost any one ever. My favourite is Tim Duncan.

Comparing him to Kareem is difficult. You’re essentially just throwing Kareem’s resume at Lebron. 

I think it’s important to remember what the Lakers were before Magic showed up. Kareem wasn’t taking them anywhere. It’s also important to consider : on how many of those championship teams was he actually the best player?

Kareem’s prime (age 27-30) pre-Magic :

74-75 Bucks - 38-44 (the same record they had the next season after he was traded)
75-76 Lakers - 40-42
76-77 Lakers - 53-29
77-78 Lakers - 45-37

As for Kareem vs Hakeem , I’d refer to the 1986 playoffs and maybe re-think your position. I think you’ll find Hakeem (in only his second season) showed just how good he was. Hakeem didn’t have close to the help Kareem had.

Magic and Bird were amazing, and to be honest, I rank them both above Kareem. But not ahead of Lebron.

Kareem stayed extremely consistent for an amazingly long time , but he benefited from playing on the show time Lakers as well. And they weren’t winning anything until Magic showed up.

Both he and Hakeem are legends and Top 10 players, but Kareem’s true peak was in the 70’s , the stats are supremely deceiving and the quality of competition was far easier. So it’s not a simple as comparing Kareem’s 70’s stats vs Hakeem’s 90’s stats. The pace of play in the 70’s was entirely different (way more shots , way more rebounds) , offences were entirely predicated on post play (no 3 point line) and so on.

Kareem’s teammates : Magic, Oscar Roberson, James Worthy, Bob McAdoo, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott et al.

Hakeem: Kenny Smith, (old) Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Sam Cassell , Vernon Maxwell.

Did you know Hakeem never had a teammate make an allstar game while playing with him in his title winning seasons? He literally won with role-players.

Kareem had Oscar and Magic (both MVP players and top 15 all time talents) and hall of fame Worthy in his prime. Plus a loaded Lakers roster.

If you want to look at total stats , sure Kareem is at or near the top. He played forever and had the sky-hook and fantastic teammates for the last 10 years of his career.

But, as individual talents I think Hakeem was better. (And Bird, Magic, Lebron)

Often when looking at great players , instead of looking at what they can do , I prefer to look at they can’t do. Hakeem could literally do everything. He had no holes. None.

-Olajuwon ended his career in the top ten all-time in blocks, scoringrebounding, and steals. He is the only player in NBA history to retire in the top ten for all four categories.

-Only player in NBA history to win regular season MVP, Finals MVP and Defensive Player of the Year awards in the same season.

-Only player in NBA history to record 200 blocks and 200 steals in the same season

-Only player in NBA history to lead his team in averaging 4 out of 5 main categories for 8 straight seasons

-Only player in NBA history to lead his team in all 5 categories (points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks) on to the NBA title 

-Only player in NBA history to win an NBA Championship without a Hall of Famer or All star

Honestly, I might even have Hakeem at number 3 behind Jordan and Lebron.

The year the Rockets upset the Lakers in 1986, Ralph Sampson had a lot to do with that. Kareem was basically playing against a healthy Ralph and a young Hakeem regarding the inside matchups. Worthy was a Great player but only 6'9, Ralph was 7'4 and was awesome back then. Hakeem is just outside of my Top 10 ever but he was Great. My Top 10 consist of - Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Wilt, Russell, Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, and Duncan. That is 10 players right there. I left Hakeem and Big O off even, which is awful but look at the 10 I have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The year the Rockets upset the Lakers in 1986, Ralph Sampson had a lot to do with that. Kareem was basically playing against a healthy Ralph and a young Hakeem regarding the inside matchups. Worthy was a Great player but only 6'9, Ralph was 7'4 and was awesome back then. Hakeem is just outside of my Top 10 ever but he was Great. My Top 10 consist of - Jordan, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Wilt, Russell, Kobe, Shaq, LeBron, and Duncan. That is 10 players right there. I left Hakeem and Big O off even, which is awful but look at the 10 I have.

Ralph was good, but Hakeem was the difference. He averaged 30. The twin towers really never did much.

Worthy was a small forward , 6’ 9” is a great size.

Get Kobe off your damn list! Lol ... I’m not having that.

2 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Ralph was good, but Hakeem was the difference. He averaged 30. The twin towers really never did much.

Worthy was a small forward , 6’ 9” is a great size.

Get Kobe off your damn list! Lol ... I’m not having that.

Why the Kobe hate, to me he is the 2nd best SG ever only behind Jordan.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why the Kobe hate, to me he is the 2nd best SG ever only behind Jordan.

Yeah he probably is the second best SG ever. There isn’t a ton of competition. Maybe Jerry West , but Kobe’s better. Hell, even D-Wade might be number 4.

I just don’t like Kobe as a player, I think he’s top 15. Hakeem needs to be in there , for me.

Here’s my top 10 :

1) Jordan

2) Lebron 

3) Hakeem

4) Bird

5) Magic 

6) Duncan

7) Wilt

8) Kareem

9) Shaq

10) Reggie Miller ... just kidding it’s Russell

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Lots of silly turnovers. 

Glad you had a good time I met my son in New Orleans for that game We didn't get the W although we could have We let them hang around then AD took it over. That guys  an impossible cover when he gets it going 

Turner has cooled a little recently but he's been pretty solid hitting the 3 from the top of the circle. He was only 0-2. His 3pt shooting helps open things up for the G's

I agree on the turnovers 17 is too many. We usually take better care of the ball then we did tonight. DC didn't have a great game in NO's he had 4 to's in that game after only 4 in his first 6 games back. He keeps hitting the 3's He is 45% from deep is leading the NBA in 3pt %. 

I have been watching our rebounding closely all season I've been pleased with the improvement We won the battle on the glass tonight I think 53-39. That'swhere we won this game. That was with a limited Myles and no Domas not bad. 

I think we will be fine in the playoffs. We have developed into a solid team defensively and usually take care of the ball couple that with hitting the glass like we have been that's going to win you games.

I do agree the O can get ugly at times usually when we dribble too much. Guys try to do it themselves then things bog down. The key to the playoffs is getting healthy. We are going to be a tough out An ECF appearance wouldn't shock me.

6 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Yeah he probably is the second best SG ever. There isn’t a ton of competition. Maybe Jerry West , but Kobe’s better. Hell, even D-Wade might be number 4.

I just don’t like Kobe as a player, I think he’s top 15. Hakeem needs to be in there , for me.

Here’s my top 10 :

1) Jordan

2) Lebron 

3) Hakeem

4) Bird

5) Magic 

6) Duncan

7) Wilt

8) Kareem

9) Shaq

10) Reggie Miller ... just kidding it’s Russell

I would definitely say Jordan, Kobe, West, and Wade are the Top 4 SG's ever. Reggie may actually be #5. I consider Big O a PG. Your list is pretty solid, my list as of now would be:

1. Jordan - The GOAT, 6 Championships, 6 Finals MVP's, 5 League MVP's, and 10 time Scoring Champ!

2. Magic - Made the Finals 9 times in 12 seasons. Won MVP of the Finals his Rookie season. Won 5 Championships and is the all-time leader in NBA history in Assist average per season at 11.2. To me he is the Greatest Leader in NBA history.

3. Kareem - Won 6 Championships, won 6 League MVP's, is the NBA's all-time leading Scorer.

4. Bird - Won 3 Championships, Great leader, and Great pure Shooter!

5. Wilt - His statistics are video game material, he also won 2 Championships with 2 different teams. 100 Points in 1 game lmao 

6. Kobe - Won 5 Championships, 2 without Shaq. This guy to me is closest thing we will ever to see to Jordan as a SG goes. 81 Points in 1 game!

7. Duncan - Greatest PF ever, but he was a Center as well. He won 5 Championships.

8. Shaq - Won 3 straight Finals MVP's, only other player in NBA history to do so was Jordan.

9. LeBron is at 9 for me - Don't think that is a dis. Every player I have listed above LeBron has won more Championships except Bird and Wilt. Bird has the same amount. Those players I have above him were just as dominant at their positions as well. LeBron = best player in this decade so he is Top 10 automatically.

10. Russell - Russell had the Championships with 11 and was a Great Leader, Great Defensive player, and Great Rebounder. His Offensive liabilities hurt him in my ratings but cant keep him off the Top 10.

Honorable Mentions: Hakeem and Big O.

9. LeBron is at 9 for me - Don't think that is a dis.

Oh you dun did it now!:pcsmash:

Hah , it’s all good man , everyone has an opinion. That’s half the fun in sports. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

would definitely say Jordan, Kobe, West, and Wade are the Top 4 SG's ever. Reggie may actually be #5.

haha this is probably one of the worst places to say this, but whatever: Reggie is pretty overrated.

I can think of quite a few SG’s I’d rather have. Like a lot.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The Wiz hit the Wall a couple of weeks back They are now in full miss Wall mode. It was just a matter of time. They deserve credit for how long they managed to keep it going without him  

Would you rather see Toronto or Cleveland in the second round? Both are going to be tough but I'd take the Raptors everyday and twice on Sunday.

The Cavs have Love back and Lebron is a different animal in April and May. I know the Raptors have had the best regular season but they have to show it in the playoffs The Cavs have proven it season after season  

It looks like we will get Philly just a matter of who's getting home court. That will be big and we are going to have to win maybe 6 more to get the 4 seed. Philly has a lot of winnable games and they have been getting it done 

1 hour ago, Trueman said:

Oh you dun did it now!:pcsmash:

Hah , it’s all good man , everyone has an opinion. That’s half the fun in sports. 

haha this is probably one of the worst places to say this, but whatever: Reggie is pretty overrated.

I can think of quite a few SG’s I’d rather have. Like a lot.

Hey LeBron being ranked 9th out of 1 million players+ in NBA history is unbelievable, look at it that way :lol:. I love my list and the players I have had ahead of him have a strong argument to be. Duncan was a Ray Allen 3 away from being 3-0 vs LeBron in the Finals. Shaq was more dominant in his prime than any player I have ever seen. To me Bird was a better Shooter and Rebounder. Not saying you but people just love LeBron so much they don't analyze everything because he's been the best player this decade.

-Regarding Reggie, I would have no problem taking him 5th on the SG list. I agree 100% that Jordan, Kobe, West, and Wade are better overall. Maybe several others are too at that position but after the 4 I named, Reggie is in there with anyone. Steph Curry is a PG technically so to me Reggie is the best shooter of all-time from 3 at that SG position edging out Ray Allen. Guys like Clyde Drexler played that position Great too.

-Let me just end it with this, how many Championships would LeBron have if he didn't join Miami in his prime? It just bothers me he took the easy/safe way out so he would assure winning a Championship. What if Karl Malone would've told Utah see ya lmao and went to the Bulls and joined Jordan and Pippen. That is what LeBron did by joining Wade and Bosh basically. Malone could've been a 6 time Champion on that team but he stayed in Utah in his prime, I have mad respect for that. Malone is in My Top15.

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

I do agree the O can get ugly at times usually when we dribble too much. Guys try to do it themselves then things bog down. The key to the playoffs is getting healthy. We are going to be a tough out An ECF appearance wouldn't shock me.

This has been bugging me all season. There are times where we go down the floor and you can just tell it’s an empty possession as soon as we cross the line and no one is really setting anything up. We’ve got a dynamic that we can carry out a game plan well, but when we freelance possessions it just seems to fizzle out and I just can’t figure out why. 

36 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

This has been bugging me all season. There are times where we go down the floor and you can just tell it’s an empty possession as soon as we cross the line and no one is really setting anything up. We’ve got a dynamic that we can carry out a game plan well, but when we freelance possessions it just seems to fizzle out and I just can’t figure out why. 

I think you answered your own question.

When the team lets Vic free lance so does the whole team. They feed off him. It may not be pretty at times but that is how they play. But if you look at what the team does in the last 5 minutes of a game they pull together and play team ball. Also when we get the 'good' Lance he brings a second gear in and fires up the whole team.

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Should Nate McMillan win Coach of the Year? Most NBA media = ESPN/NBA Network/TNT said we would win maybe between 32-35 games and wouldn't come close to be a Playoff team. Here we are at 43-31 and 5th in the East.

Yeah, I think Victor should get MVP but he won't it'll go to Harden.