Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's talk about 1st round FSs

Lucky Colts Fan

It's not a position the Colts usually draft that high.  Heck, it's not something any team really does.  But the past shows that 1st round FSs tend to be pretty darn good.  There are a few guys that slipped to the 2nd round for whatever reason, like injuries (Bob Sanders).

Seven years ago, Eric Berry and Earl Thomas both entered the league as 1st round picks.  Since then, there's been a bit of a drought on 1st-round FS talent.

The Colts just drafted, arguably, the most talented FS to enter the draft in a decade.  We're talking elite "Ed Reed-type" potential.

Also, did you know that you can type both "draft" and "drafted" with one hand?  I know, crazy!  If you still use an old-fashioned physical keyboard, anyway...

Otherwise, you can probably just tell your phone to type "draft" or "drafted"... (spoiled mfghrghber_)

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

This is the first safety ever taken by the Indianapolis Colts in the 1st. 

Hooker wears the same number as Berry now too.. :goat:

Sanders should have been taken in the 1st, but we stole him in the 2nd.  If Hooker even comes close to the accomplishments of Bob Sanders, this will still be a steal.

But Sanders will probably be the only Colt to ever win DPOY... :goat:

I really like this pick!  I mentioned last night that you can coach better angles and tackling skills but you can't coach his instincts or speed.  Love the fact that he's wearing Berry and Adams old number.

what do you all think about possibly playing Geathers at ILB?  He's got the size and he's fast and a fairly good tackler.

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I really like this pick!  I mentioned last night that you can coach better angles and tackling skills but you can't coach his instincts or speed.  Love the fact that he's wearing Berry and Adams old number.

what do you all think about possibly playing Geathers at ILB?  He's got the size and he's fast and a fairly good tackler.

Do you really think his size is okay for that?  I think he is a little small for ILB, but I also really like the guy.  He hits and he is pretty quick.  I think he will help us a lot, but my worry is his ability to stay healthy..... much like Bob Sanders.  

Hooker is going to be a really good FS for us and I am elated that we took him but I don't think he hits as well as Bob Sanders nor Geathers.

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

Do you really think his size is okay for that?  I think he is a little small for ILB, but I also really like the guy.  He hits and he is pretty quick.  I think he will help us a lot, but my worry is his ability to stay healthy..... much like Bob Sanders.  

Hooker is going to be a really good FS for us and I am elated that we took him but I don't think he hits as well as Bob Sanders nor Geathers.

He's slightly undersized but he can add some muscle.  He's definitely got the height and speed to play the position.  Add 15-20 pounds and he's the right side for an ilb.

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Sanders didnt play free safety though.  He was the strong safety which plays more in the box.  Green and Butler can man that this year until Green develops a bit more. 

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

This is the first safety ever taken by the Indianapolis Colts in the 1st. 

Hooker wears the same number as Berry now too.. :goat:

Just now, indyagent17 said:

The minute we drafted him I thought, "he will not wear 24 in Indy"

So anything but 24 or 21.  Or 18, or 88.  Or 19 or 80 or 87 or , or ... shoot they were right.  We are going to run out of numbers...

I mean, I hate to pander to the privileged, but... WHAT DO WE DO WHEN WE RUN OUT OF NUMBERS?!?!?!?

I don't mean to be sacrilegious, but if we keep having awesome players play for this team (ie HoFers) we are, literally, going to run out of numbers.

Let Hooker wear 24.  That is the number I would choose to wear.  Why can't he wear it?

3 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Sanders did play free safety though.  He was the strong safety which plays more in the box.  Green and Butler can man that this year until Green develops a bit more. 

Yeah I know, but I still like to see harder hitting and he is capable of it he just needs some fine tuning.  Bob was gifted 

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So anything but 24 or 21.  Or 18, or 88.  Or 19 or 80 or 87 or , or ... shoot they were right.  We are going to run out of numbers...

I mean, I hate to pander to the privileged, but... WHAT DO WE DO WHEN WE RUN OUT OF NUMBERS?!?!?!?

I don't mean to be sacrilegious, but if we keep having awesome players play for this team (ie HoFers) we are, literally, going to run out of numbers.

Let Hooker wear 24.  That is the number I would choose to wear.  Why can't he wear it?

I think he got 29

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

I think he got 29

That makes perfect sense.  He was a Colts fan because he was a Joseph Addai fan.  Also, it was Mike Adams number.  Seems to be a good number for the Colts.

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Yeah I know, but I still like to see harder hitting and he is capable of it he just needs some fine tuning.  Bob was gifted 

When it comes to covering and hitting, and how to play safety, Bob Sanders did everything.  He had that great year as DPOY, but it led to a rapid decrease in his physical abilities.

If Hooker plays center field like Ed Reed, and makes hits, if necessary, and doesn't throw his body around like Bob did, he can be All-Pro for a decade.  You like hard hitters, but if Ed Reed had played safety the way Bob Sanders played safety, his career would have been much shorter.

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Unless Hooker just tanks and is the biggest bust ever, I'll be buying his jersey. 

If he does tank and is the biggest bust ever, you can always give it away as a present to the girl who was super mean to you in high school.

I think he got 29

That makes perfect sense.  He was a Colts fan because he was a Joseph Addai fan.  Also, it was Mike Adams number.  Seems to be a good number for the Colts.

When it comes to covering and hitting, and how to play safety, Bob Sanders did everything.  He had that great year as DPOY, but it led to a rapid decrease in his physical abilities.

If Hooker plays center field like Ed Reed, and makes hits, if necessary, and doesn't throw his body around like Bob did, he can be All-Pro for a decade.  You like hard hitters, but if Ed Reed had played safety the way Bob Sanders played safety, his career would have been much shorter.

Yea I believe that Reed struggled with tackling as well. The thing is his unbelievable range, ball skills, and instincts outweighed his weakness. Even though we have TJ and Clayton, they are not that safety you put in the middle of the field. Maybe Green will become that, but today he's raw in that aspect. I think Green and Hooker battle it out in camp to play alongside Geathers. If Hooker pans out, that can be a great safety tandem.

12 minutes ago, jseg18 said:

The thing is his unbelievable range, ball skills, and instincts outweighed his weakness.

Agreed.

Worst case scenario, he is like Primetime, and just doesn't tackle, but picks the ball off every other play.

Best case scenario, Malik does everything he is physically capable of, which is everything, and becomes a HoF FS the likes of which the Colts have NEVER SEEN!

:rock: :goat:

1 hour ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

He's slightly undersized but he can add some muscle.  He's definitely got the height and speed to play the position.  Add 15-20 pounds and he's the right side for an ilb.

You can ad muscle, but the underlying frame doesn't get bigger or stronger. I don't think he has a big enough frame to play linebacker full-time.

2 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I think dbuts will slide back to slot for us with geathers in box and hooker ranging with green only coming out in sub packages at least for our base defense.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Sanders should have been taken in the 1st, but we stole him in the 2nd.  If Hooker even comes close to the accomplishments of Bob Sanders, this will still be a steal.

But Sanders will probably be the only Colt to ever win DPOY... :goat:

He needs to have a longer career than Sanders to be worth a first round pick.  Honestly Bethea would be a better comparison than Sanders in terms what they are getting.  A guy who is going to help more in pass defense.