Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers To Retire Gore's Number??

King Colt

21 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Gore is less than 200 yards short of Eric Dickerson's 13,259 total yards and so the Falcons  are contemplating retiring his number. I vote yes and Hall of Fame- who knows.

Why would the falcons retire Frank Gore's number?  He never played there.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The OP had to mean the 49ers, he never played for the Falcons so he just got mixed up. LOL

The OP tends to do that a lot.  Also the niners aren't considering retiring his number either.  Tim Hightower was given his number by the 9ers.  He asked for a different number out of respect for Gore.   

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The OP tends to do that a lot.  Also the niners aren't considering retiring his number either.  Tim Hightower was given his number by the 9ers.  He asked for a different number out of respect for Gore.   

Oh I didn't know, I just thought he meant the 49ers which would make sense. He was Great there. In that case maybe we should retire Rex Grossman's number haha for stinking it up in the SB.

He would have a ring if the 49ers had ran the ball just 1 time when they had 4 plays at the goal line at the end of the SB....Gore's big run put them there, then they went 4 out of pass attempts. 

Gore deserves to have his number retired from their the 49ers' franchise perspective. He is their leading rusher (breaking Roger Craig's long held franchise records), and he was the best offensive talent that carried those crappy 49er teams for years before Harbaugh got there. Even when Harbaugh had first arrived, Gore pretty much was the entire offense in 2012 when they had Alex Smith.

If he had the ring from 2012, he probably would be a Hall of Famer. 

2 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

He would have a ring if the 49ers had ran the ball just 1 time when they had 4 plays at the goal line at the end of the SB....Gore's big run put them there, then they went 4 out of pass attempts. 

Gore deserves to have his number retired from their the 49ers' franchise perspective. He is their leading rusher, and he was the best offensive talent that carried those crappy 49er teams for years before Harbaugh got there. Even when Harbaugh had first arrived, Gore pretty much was the entire offense in 2012 when they had Alex Smith.

He will probably still make the HOFame but who knows about how those dudes vote? Isaac Bruce isn't in which is a farce. Gore will pass Eric Dickerson this season barring injury but some of these voters have me SMH. SF should definitely retire his number I agree.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He will probably still make the HOFame but who knows about how those dudes vote? Isaac Bruce isn't in which is a farce. Gore will pass Eric Dickerson this season barring injury but some of these voters have me SMH. SF should definitely retire his number I agree.

I don't know why Isaac Bruce isn't in. He has the stats. Even more so, he only had three seasons with Kurt Warner. He accumulated his numbers having garbage QB's like Tony Banks and Marc Bulger throwing to him. Plus, he has a Super Bowl and will go down in memory of having the game winning touchdown in that game.

I don't know if Gore will get in since he don't have a ring. Hall of Fame voting can be pretty tricky towards players that haven't won a championship but do have the stats. It's even worse for defensive players when they bring in playoff wins and those kind of win statistics.

If the 49ers had won the SB with Harbaugh in 2012, none of this would be a question; Gore would get in. I think some people forget just how god awful those 49er teams were in most of Gore's career. Even in Harbaugh's first year with Alex Smith at QB, they couldn't move the ball that good and struggled offensively all year which was their downfall in the NFCCG. Gore at least deserves his number retired by the organization since he carried them for years on offense.  

3 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

I don't know why Isaac Bruce isn't in. He has the stats. Even more so, he only had three seasons with Kurt Warner. He accumulated his numbers having garbage QB's like Tony Banks and Marc Bulger throwing to him. Plus, he has a Super Bowl and will go down in memory of having the game winning touchdown in that game.

I don't know if Gore will get in since he don't have a ring. Hall of Fame voting can be pretty tricky towards players that haven't won a championship but do have the stats. It's even worse for defensive players when they bring in playoff wins and those kind of win statistics.

If the 49ers had won the SB with Harbaugh in 2012, none of this would be a question; Gore would get in. I think some people forget just how god awful those 49er teams were in most of Gore's career. Even in Harbaugh's first year with Alex Smith at QB, they couldn't move the ball that good and struggled offensively all year which was their downfall in the NFCCG. Gore at least deserves his number retired by the organization since he carried them for years on offense.  

Yeah that is how big having a Ring is, Edge doesnt have one either so not sure he will get in either? At least Gore reached the SB and will pass Dickerson. Bruce even has a Ring and isnt in? His Stats are unreal too.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The OP had to mean the 49ers, he never played for the Falcons so he just got mixed up. LOL

You're much smarter than most of us. I read that and said "What?!!" I could not make the connection with Gore and the Falcons. The OP probably had Kyle Shanahan in mind.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is how big having a Ring is, Edge doesnt have one either so not sure he will get in either? At least Gore reached the SB and will pass Dickerson. Bruce even has a Ring and isnt in? His Stats are unreal too.

This is precisely why I believe the ring deal is worse in the NFL than in the NBA. In the NBA, they don't have a problem letting in various players into the Hall when they don't have championships. In the NFL, it really all boils down to that. Not even stats can get you in alone, unless rare instances of once in a generation talent. 

5 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Gore deserves to have his number retired from their the 49ers' franchise perspective. He is their leading rusher (breaking Roger Craig's long held franchise records), and he was the best offensive talent that carried those crappy 49er teams for years before Harbaugh got there. Even when Harbaugh had first arrived, Gore pretty much was the entire offense in 2012 when they had Alex Smith.

Seems to be a growing trend in recent years where the NFC winner hates to run the ball in the Super Bowl.

:pokerface:

41 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

This is precisely why I believe the ring deal is worse in the NFL than in the NBA. In the NBA, they don't have a problem letting in various players into the Hall when they don't have championships. In the NFL, it really all boils down to that. Not even stats can get you in alone, unless rare instances of once in a generation talent. 

Yep in the NBA you got players who don't win a ring or just one and they can be in the level of the best of all time. In the NFL you had Montana worship and now Brady worship. Marino was probably better then both too.......yes I said that Pats fans. Marino was probably better then BOTH.

My only problem with the NBA is the God like worship of Michael Jordan who I think is overrated and having said that I will now duck tomatoes and hide in the corner.:hide: 

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

Yep in the NBA you got players who don't win a ring or just one and they can be in the level of the best of all time. In the NFL you had Montana worship and now Brady worship. Marino was probably better the both too.......yes I said that Pats fans. Marino was probably better then BOTH.

My only problem with the NBA is the God like worship of Michael Jordan who I think is overrated and having said that I will now duck tomatoes and hide in the corner.:hide: 

Post of the day :goodluck:

Just like Han Solo, not caring if this ticks off any fan boys lmaolmao

Image result for princess leia thumbs up

1 minute ago, Synthetic said:

Post of the day :goodluck:

Just like Han Solo, not caring if this ticks off any fan boys lmaolmao

Image result for princess leia thumbs up

I mean why not too? All the QBs today are basically Marino clones. And even young QBs are Favre clones at times now. Favre is becoming an old time QB now. lmao 

As for MJ yes he is up there as an all time great but ENOUGH already.....enough. He was a product the NBA molded and created and changed rules for and they even let him kinda pick the Dream Team too. Ugh.

Oh yeah this thread was about.......Gore........yeah Gore.........

3 hours ago, Jules said:

My only problem with the NBA is the God like worship of Michael Jordan who I think is overrated and having said that I will now duck tomatoes and hide in the corner.

Yes Jules, even Skip Bayless who covered MJ in Chicago in their heyday acts like the sport of basketball begins & ends with #23. Sigh...

9 hours ago, Jules said:

Yep in the NBA you got players who don't win a ring or just one and they can be in the level of the best of all time. In the NFL you had Montana worship and now Brady worship. Marino was probably better then both too.......yes I said that Pats fans. Marino was probably better then BOTH.

Throwing tomatoes lmao just joking. I think Rings are important in both sports, even in Baseball it is. I am so relieved the Cubs won it all and Bryant already has that on his resume. I don't think it's the only factor though. Even though I do a lot of lists, it's dicey trying to do so because you have to weigh in Stats, what era a player played, their overall talent = eye test, etc.. Talent wise Marino was better than Brady and Montana but he didn't accomplish near as much as in MVP's and SB MVP's compared to Brady and Montana and those are individual awards. Peyton Manning was more talented than Brady and Montana as well IMO and was basically a Coach out on the field. Imagine had Peyton never won a Ring for Indy, most Colts fans would've went banana's and labeled him an all-time choker. Some people are irritated he just won 1.

9 hours ago, Jules said:

Truth!!!

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That what makes the world go around - good old fashion disagreements, since this a Frank Gore thread I wont turn this into a Michael vs LeBron thing here but I think LeBron is overrated.

lmao  A Frank Gore thread becomes a basketball thread

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

lmao  A Frank Gore thread becomes a basketball thread

Yeah and a Marino, Brady, Peyton, Montana one too haha. When I logged on earlier I had to reply to Jules, she made some good points so I just rolled with it. Both Jordan and LeBron are Great players in reality (Jordan was), it is really just who a person's taste are where you rank players, etc.. By the eye test some players are better than others to some people. I hated Jordan by the way, guy won every year it seemed in the 90's.

• Nadine locked this topic