Cap is 74m

Resign

Walden 3 year 17m 7g

Turbin 2 year 3m 1g

Doyle 3 year 9m 3g

Thornton 1 year 1.5m

Butler 2 year 8mil

Cap is 58m

The butler resign is more for him to play safety if geathers or green are hurt or if we wanna play certain coverages with geathers playing LBer and backup CB with all the injuries we get at that position

Free Agents

Zach Brown ILB 3 year 20m 7g

Trumaine Johnson CB 4 year 40m 15g

Kevin Zeitler G 5 year 60m 25g

Brandon Williams NT 5 year 65m 30g

Kenny Stills WR- 2 year 8 mil

Misc/backup players 5m

Cap is 7M

Extra 4th round pick is projected as a comp pick for fleener

7th round pick went to the browns for billy winn trade

1st-Davlin Cook RB

2nd-Demarcus Walker OLB

3rd-Jalen Reeves-Maybin ILB/OLB

4th-Devonte Fields OLB

4th-Josh Carraway OLB

5th-Tony Connor S

6th-Austin Rehkow P

This mock accomplishes a few things. It gives luck two new weapons in cook and stills along with extra blocking upfront, johnson allows us to move robinson inside and have butler play safety, improves the NT position, completely revamps the LB corp and including three new pass rushers, and very suitable replacement for patty mac.

I like most of it. I'm good with the draft and FA signings (maybe one extra ILB than OLB). I like the releases and most the resigns. Wouldn't resign Thornton and i'd offer Walden less due to his age. I agree with the Butler resigning though i liked him at Safety last year. Overall grade : B from me. Well Done.

Not impressed with any of the edge rushers. Don't see any of those guys making an impact. Walker is versatile which is a plus but is meh otherwise. 

Maybin has potential but the 3rd is too early for me. 

Free agency is perfect and I hope it goes exactly like that. 

I think it's pretty good for this early! Anyone who says they hate it is just too married to the idea that we need to go all-in on defense. My biggest knocks is that I'm just not very fond of the pass rushers in your draft, but the reality is they're probably who we are stuck with as it is the price we'd likely have to pay for taking a RB in the first. I love the massive boost this will give our offense and is the clear strength of your off-season vision and I definitely see our secondary improving with the addition of Johnson and the shifting of Robertson and Butler. I just worry our pass rush (our greatest weakness) might not show much improvement, but at least we have some more young depth for competition. And I truly don't believe we can fix everything this year anyways. 

4 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I think it's pretty good for this early! Anyone who says they hate it is just too married to the idea that we need to go all-in on defense. My biggest knocks is that I'm just not very fond of the pass rushers in your draft, but the reality is they're probably who we are stuck with as it is the price we'd likely have to pay for taking a RB in the first. I love the massive boost this will give our offense and is the clear strength of your off-season vision and I definitely see our secondary improving with the addition of Johnson and the shifting of Robertson and Butler. I just worry our pass rush (our greatest weakness) might not show much improvement, but at least we have some more young depth for competition. And I truly don't believe we can fix everything this year anyways. 

I tried to make it as realistic as possible. Guys like watt and McKinley will be gone imo and I'm not completely sold on Barrett to take him first.

I'll start by saying I simply don't understand cutting Frank Gore. He has done nothing to warrant cutting and his contract is nowhere close to extortionate. Picking up Dalvin is a solid pick if we don't have Gore but I don't understand why we would.

You're underpaying Jack Doyle. He'll probably make about the same as Dwayne Allen. A 4/16 would make more sense.

Free agent wise. Zach Brown is a great pickup, although he'll probably make more like 8 or 9mil with another year or 2 tagged on to the contract. Johnson will make more than that somewhere else where he'll get a no.1 slot. Zeitler won't get out of Cincy alive. Williams is solid but not at that contract. I'd give him 9mil per max. Kenny Stills is an okay pickup. Although I'm not sure why a good 24yo WR would sign for a team where he'd likely be 3/4 on the depth chart with little room to rise.

Okay, so Dalvin is a great player. He's instant impact and I appreciate that. And if the FO for some bizarre reason decide to cut Gore I wouldn't have a huge issue with it. Although its easier to find a decent RB in the mid rounds rather than a decent pass rusher. I like the player, I don't like the pick.

Walker is not an OLB. He'd likely be a 5 tech in our scheme. He hasn't got the wheels to be the Pernell McPhee style super-size OLB. His NFL player comparison is Mario Edwards from Carolina. That sounds about right. I think he goes about that time but not to us.

Reeves-Maybin is a hype-y type player. Especially if he blows up the combine. He's small and speedy and good in coverage against TEs and RBs. But he is not going to be a 3 down or even a 2 down ILB. He will be washed out in the run game by any competent running team. He's more likely to be a sub package 3rd down ILB with special teams skills.

Fields all depends on how Ballard sees his past off the field stuff. And seeing as it involved domestic violence and brandishing a weapon at her, I'm going to guess, not well. He'd be a good OLB pick up. He's both fast and quick. He'll test well at the combine if he was invited at all. Although his lack of size and bulk may deter some teams from picking him up which means he may well last to this pick. But it all comes down to how his off the field stuff goes down with the scouts and FO people. Personally I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Carraway is an all twitch and potential athlete. His football as been questioned. Plays a bit soft and needs to inject at least a little bit of nasty and killer instinct into his game. But that and technique can be coached, speed and athleticism can not. I'd take him here, but no earlier.

Loves that someone else has picked a Punter. I like Rehkow and I think he could be a great fit.  

34 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I'll start by saying I simply don't understand cutting Frank Gore. He has done nothing to warrant cutting and his contract is nowhere close to extortionate. Picking up Dalvin is a solid pick if we don't have Gore but I don't understand why we would.

You're underpaying Jack Doyle. He'll probably make about the same as Dwayne Allen. A 4/16 would make more sense.

Free agent wise. Zach Brown is a great pickup, although he'll probably make more like 8 or 9mil with another year or 2 tagged on to the contract. Johnson will make more than that somewhere else where he'll get a no.1 slot. Zeitler won't get out of Cincy alive. Williams is solid but not at that contract. I'd give him 9mil per max. Kenny Stills is an okay pickup. Although I'm not sure why a good 24yo WR would sign for a team where he'd likely be 3/4 on the depth chart with little room to rise.

Okay, so Dalvin is a great player. He's instant impact and I appreciate that. And if the FO for some bizarre reason decide to cut Gore I wouldn't have a huge issue with it. Although its easier to find a decent RB in the mid rounds rather than a decent pass rusher. I like the player, I don't like the pick.

Walker is not an OLB. He'd likely be a 5 tech in our scheme. He hasn't got the wheels to be the Pernell McPhee style super-size OLB. His NFL player comparison is Mario Edwards from Carolina. That sounds about right. I think he goes about that time but not to us.

Reeves-Maybin is a hype-y type player. Especially if he blows up the combine. He's small and speedy and good in coverage against TEs and RBs. But he is not going to be a 3 down or even a 2 down ILB. He will be washed out in the run game by any competent running team. He's more likely to be a sub package 3rd down ILB with special teams skills.

Fields all depends on how Ballard sees his past off the field stuff. And seeing as it involved domestic violence and brandishing a weapon at her, I'm going to guess, not well. He'd be a good OLB pick up. He's both fast and quick. He'll test well at the combine if he was invited at all. Although his lack of size and bulk may deter some teams from picking him up which means he may well last to this pick. But it all comes down to how his off the field stuff goes down with the scouts and FO people. Personally I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Carraway is an all twitch and potential athlete. His football as been questioned. Plays a bit soft and needs to inject at least a little bit of nasty and killer instinct into his game. But that and technique can be coached, speed and athleticism can not. I'd take him here, but no earlier.

Loves that someone else has picked a Punter. I like Rehkow and I think he could be a great fit.  

I'm not in full agreement about Walker.  Would have no problem playing SAM linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.  Same height as Walden, athletic, and there's people that play that position in a 3-4 as high as 270lbs.  He's basically already built like a backer as it is. 

58 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Thank you for your input. I enjoyed reading it. 

I'll make some comments when I have a chance.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Doyle can go if he wants. I'm not paying him more then that. Some team will overpay for him.

Gore I think will just be circumstances of new management. Gore is productive, but I can see Ballard wanting more explosiveness from that position

If we have to spend alittle to get brown, I'm fine with that. 

Zeitler or warford are fine with me

Stills is more to create competition for Dorsett to light a fire under him and it gives us good depth for moncrief getting injured last couple of seasons.

Walker has been said to be a better fit for 3-4 then a 4-3 if he trims down alittle.

Fields does have has issues, but spending a fourth isn't much of a risk and if he pans out then it's a steal.

Just think about what Ballard said : "You can't buy a locker room"

I don't see Ballard going all in on year one with the FA(he is more about building, he isn't hurry).

I will agree about cutting the old guys, but i can see Pagano making a case for both but still i'm not sold about Gore being the main RB(he is very good taking the hole but he just doesn't have the explosives to make big gains).

Now getting specific:

Truman had a average year but the CB market is gonna put his salary on the 12-13M / year.

Brown had a good year and he is gonna demand at least 8 M / year.

Doyle isn't gonna bite the 3 M / year, i think if he doesn't get at least 5M / year, he won't return but if he asks  for more we have to let him go( that would be a great hit tough).

Zeitler and Williams contracts are monster deals that you just throw, i could see a similar deal with Poe because Ballard knows Poe but he won't give big contracts unless is someone that he thinks is gonna be a game changer.

I will bite and take Cook but i just can't see an scenario where Walker last that long.

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, Jact.stark said:

Just think about what Ballard said : "You can't buy a locker room"

I don't see Ballard going all in on year one with the FA(he is more about building, he isn't hurry).

I will agree about cutting the old guys, but i can see Pagano making a case for both but still i'm not sold about Gore being the main RB(he is very good taking the hole but he just doesn't have the explosives to make big gains).

Now getting specific:

Truman had a average year but the CB market is gonna put his salary on the 12-13M / year.

Brown had a good year and he is gonna demand at least 8 M / year.

Doyle isn't gonna bite the 3 M / year, i think if he doesn't get at least 5M / year, he won't return but if he asks  for more we have to let him go( that would be a great hit tough).

Zeitler and Williams contracts are monster deals that you just throw, i could see a similar deal with Poe because Ballard knows Poe but he won't give big contracts unless is someone that he thinks is gonna be a game changer.

I will bite and take Cook but i just can't see an scenario where Walker last that long.

Cheers.

I take what is said to the media at face value. Ballard has never been a GM so no one knows what his tactics are.

Personally, I do not see us signing the triumvirate of Zeitler, Williams, and Johnson in free agency. We may get one of those guys if we are lucky. There are too many teams with money to spend. 

Also, I would not re-sign Walden. The 2016 season was an aberration for him sack-wise, and I still do not see him providing a consistent pass-rush. Let some other team throw money at him. 

As for the draft, I would prefer not to take a running back in the 1st round. I have read that Cook has a shoulder issue that may hurt him in the draft as well. I am also not a fan of Reeves-Maybin given his injury history. The rest of the draft is pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Manning1887 said:

Personally, I do not see us signing the triumvirate of Zeitler, Williams, and Johnson in free agency. We may get one of those guys if we are lucky. There are too many teams with money to spend. 

Also, I would not re-sign Walden. The 2016 season was an aberration for him sack-wise, and I still do not see him providing a consistent pass-rush. Let some other team throw money at him. 

As for the draft, I would prefer not to take a running back in the 1st round. I have read that Cook has a shoulder issue that may hurt him in the draft as well. I am also not a fan of Reeves-Maybin given his injury history. The rest of the draft is pretty good. 

Their not exactly big name free agents so its not out of the realm. Walden is more for experience purposes to mentor the young pass rushers I have us drafting. cook's shoulder injury was before the season, it didnt hurt his production and we need to help took some pressure off of luck. maybin has been injured, but a tremendous talent with his speed and tackling. guy is everywhere on the field. 

I don't think we need to get a receiver at all this offseason. I'm hoping the new receivers coach we have that Watkins was gushing over can really help improve Moncrief and Dorsett. Stills isn't going to sign here anyway when he can go somewhere else for more money or playing time.

I'm on the fence with Johnson as he did not have a good year at all, but maybe it was just a down season. Also I'm not sure about using that much cap this year.

I'm not ready to talk about the draft yet but I will say if we don't get Melvin Ingram or Nick Perry in FA than I'm 100% on pass rusher first round. To be fair, though, I don't know how good the pass rushers you mocked to us are, and Cook would be a game changer for this offense.

9 hours ago, BOTT said:

Yes.  Which is why you should have used one of the other 7 picks to use on a low value position such as RB.

I rather have steak then hamburger. You wanna help luck, get him a legit rb that isn't over thirty

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

I rather have steak then hamburger. You wanna help luck, get him a legit rb that isn't over thirty

You don't have to do that in the top 20 of the draft.  You wanna help Luck get him in a quick rhythm offense.  You run a vertical offense your QB is going to get hit.

On 2/7/2017 at 3:22 PM, CR91 said:

Estimated cap is 60m

Release 

Gore saves 3.5m

Jackson saves 5.5m

Jones saves 5.2m

Cap is 74m

Resign

Walden 3 year 17m 7g

Turbin 2 year 3m 1g

Doyle 3 year 9m 3g

Thornton 1 year 1.5m

Butler 2 year 8mil

Cap is 58m

The butler resign is more for him to play safety if geathers or green are hurt or if we wanna play certain coverages with geathers playing LBer and backup CB with all the injuries we get at that position

Free Agents

Zach Brown ILB 3 year 20m 7g

Trumaine Johnson CB 4 year 40m 15g

Kevin Zeitler G 5 year 60m 25g

Brandon Williams NT 5 year 65m 30g

Kenny Stills WR- 2 year 8 mil

Misc/backup players 5m

Cap is 7M

Extra 4th round pick is projected as a comp pick for fleener

7th round pick went to the browns for billy winn trade

1st-Davlin Cook RB

2nd-Demarcus Walker OLB

3rd-Jalen Reeves-Maybin ILB/OLB

4th-Devonte Fields OLB

4th-Josh Carraway OLB

5th-Tony Connor S

6th-Austin Rehkow P

This mock accomplishes a few things. It gives luck two new weapons in cook and stills along with extra blocking upfront, johnson allows us to move robinson inside and have butler play safety, improves the NT position, completely revamps the LB corp and including three new pass rushers, and very suitable replacement for patty mac.

Not feeling this man gotta be honest. Its been said a lot but cutting gore makes no sense at all. Your re signs make me want to rip my hair out. What has Erik Walden done to deserve 5.35mil/yr? He is a joke, if we let him walk no other team will re sign him quote me on that. You low balled the hell out of turbin and Doyle. I saw you said if they want more "let them walk" specifically to jack Doyle. How dumb would we be to cut frank, and let turbin and Doyle walk. Now were getting worse on offense. Doyle is probably or 2nd at least 3rd best receiving option we'll give him 4-6mil/yr. You won't pay Doyle but you'll pay Erik walden....what?? Darius butler that's a fair price and good re sign. I like your free agency, but some of the prices dont work. Zach brown will get 8-10mil/yr, turmaine 12-14mil/yr. I think you over paid zeitler but if that what it takes to get him here so be it. You definitely over paid Brandon Williams 13 mil/yr is crazy! That's 3mil/yr more then Damian harrison and he's not even as good. Kenny stills, why? Why waste cap space on a WR? Let alone one who hasn't done much in the league. And like most I don't like this draft. Dalvin is amazing, so many defenders in this draft there's no excuse to not to take one in round 1. Demarcus walker is a solid pick. Maybin is a huge reach he'll be there a round maybe even 2 rounds later. I like fields athleticism but he's super raw has no pass rushing techniques but Robert Mathis can show him something. Exact same for carroway. Tony Connor as never been the same since tearing his ACL has bad tape and probably will hurt himself at the combine dont like him much. I've heard rehkow is pretty talented I'll look him up but that's a solid pick. 

7 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Not feeling this man gotta be honest. Its been said a lot but cutting gore makes no sense at all. Your re signs make me want to rip my hair out. What has Erik Walden done to deserve 5.35mil/yr? He is a joke, if we let him walk no other team will re sign him quote me on that. You low balled the hell out of turbin and Doyle. I saw you said if they want more "let them walk" specifically to jack Doyle. How dumb would we be to cut frank, and let turbin and Doyle walk. Now were getting worse on offense. Doyle is probably or 2nd at least 3rd best receiving option we'll give him 4-6mil/yr. You won't pay Doyle but you'll pay Erik walden....what?? Darius butler that's a fair price and good re sign. I like your free agency, but some of the prices dont work. Zach brown will get 8-10mil/yr, turmaine 12-14mil/yr. I think you over paid zeitler but if that what it takes to get him here so be it. You definitely over paid Brandon Williams 13 mil/yr is crazy! That's 3mil/yr more then Damian harrison and he's not even as good. Kenny stills, why? Why waste cap space on a WR? Let alone one who hasn't done much in the league. And like most I don't like this draft. Dalvin is amazing, so many defenders in this draft there's no excuse to not to take one in round 1. Demarcus walker is a solid pick. Maybin is a huge reach he'll be there a round maybe even 2 rounds later. I like fields athleticism but he's super raw has no pass rushing techniques but Robert Mathis can show him something. Exact same for carroway. Tony Connor as never been the same since tearing his ACL has bad tape and probably will hurt himself at the combine dont like him much. I've heard rehkow is pretty talented I'll look him up but that's a solid pick. 

Its fine to not like Walden, but a joke? Hes been arguably our most consistent player on defense and he just had the best year of his career this past season. I wish we had more jokes like him on defense. Someone would absolutely sign him.

55 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Oh boy where do I start,

Walden has been one of our most consistent defenders for the last four years. Gore is productive, but we need more at that position to help luck. Doyle is solid, but some other team will overpay for him. Stills gives us depth especially with moncriefs being injuried and Dorsett being inconsistent. Mathis retired.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Its fine to not like Walden, but a joke? Hes been arguably our most consistent player on defense and he just had the best year of his career this past season. I wish we had more jokes like him on defense. Someone would absolutely sign him.

Okay now that's a joke right? Are you really that blinded by his 11 sacks this year?? Really???? How many sacks he have his first 3 years combine with us? 12 total my friend. He's a liability in the run game and my god 11 sacks on 14 total QB hurries!!! The biggest fluke I've seen in a while and you fell for it. I pray Chris Ballard doesn't.

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Oh boy where do I start,

Walden has been one of our most consistent defenders for the last four years. Gore is productive, but we need more at that position to help luck. Doyle is solid, but some other team will overpay for him. Stills gives us depth especially with moncriefs being injuried and Dorsett being inconsistent. Mathis retired.

Okay your first statement is complete trash to quote lebron James. The stories trash and the writers trash. Erik Walden one of our most consistent blah blah....what are you talking about??? Erik Walden has one year of any production, what have you been watching for 4 years? Not only is he not talented hes 32!! Man thank god your name isn't Chris Ballard, cuz you sound a lot like Ryan grigson. Doyle wants to stay why low ball one of our better players? Hell take less to stay, but not half what a team would pay he's worth every penny. Mathis has already stated he will be staying around the organization helping guys out. Man your not the only one who thinks like this is what scares me. 

19 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Okay your first statement is complete trash to quote lebron James. The stories trash and the writers trash. Erik Walden one of our most consistent blah blah....what are you talking about??? Erik Walden has one year of any production, what have you been watching for 4 years? Not only is he not talented hes 32!! Man thank god your name isn't Chris Ballard, cuz you sound a lot like Ryan grigson. Doyle wants to stay why low ball one of our better players? Hell take less to stay, but not half what a team would pay he's worth every penny. Mathis has already stated he will be staying around the organization helping guys out. Man your not the only one who thinks like this is what scares me. 

Who would you sign to replace Walden? It's fine if you don't like him but we are extremely thin at OLB. He's the cheapest steadiest option we have at the moment. Is he in the Colts long term plans? Definitely not! But we need bodies at OLB. 

Doyle isn't worth much at all to me and I hope Ballard agrees. Pass catching TE with one year of production and zero blocking ability... not a high priority. 

26 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Who would you sign to replace Walden? It's fine if you don't like him but we are extremely thin at OLB. He's the cheapest steadiest option we have at the moment. Is he in the Colts long term plans? Definitely not! But we need bodies at OLB. 

Doyle isn't worth much at all to me and I hope Ballard agrees. Pass catching TE with one year of production and zero blocking ability... not a high priority. 

So just becuz he's an OLB he's getting 5mil/yr? I mean I'm sure you can answer your own question if we can get a free agent great, if not draft! But edge is our #1 priority for a team with a million priorities

30 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

And about jack doyle, have you forgotten about coby fleener already? 1 year of production 1 year of any reps. And he's not a mauler but Jack absolutely blocks uses great technique to get inside and create creases. He's better then Dwayne Allen I fully believe that and if we let him walk I'll be *

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Your post makes me wonder how many Colts games you've actually seen?

Doyle has zero blocking ability?      Do the Colts know this?      You know in addition to blocking along the line,  he also blocks as a fullback?     

You turn a guy who has only really played two years into a negative by saying he only has one year of production.      Well,  that typically happens when you're mostly behind Fleener and Allen.

Doyle will get re-signed.     I think you can bank on it.      I'm sorry you'll be disappointed.    

2 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Walden signed a 4-year contract with the Colts.     He was very poor his first year.

But he's actually been quite good his last 3-years.     He hasn't only been good this last year in a contract year to get another deal.      He was good in 15 and 14 too.       Only 13 was a poor year.

And, while I get he'll be 32 this season,  you can't purge an entire roster of anyone over 30.    There is always a need for some vets.    They don't have to be stars,  but they have to be solid on the field,  good in the clubhouse and provide leadership everywhere.

Here's the Key:   We're not going to fix every problem this team has in one off-season.    This is a multi-year fix.

If we can get better talent than Walden at a reasonable cost/price --- great.     I'm for it.

But if Walden wants to stay at a reasonable cost,  then I'm OK with that too.

I'll trust Ballard on this.     If he doesn't bring him back --- I'm fine with it.     But if he does bring him back --- I'm fine with it too.

7 hours ago, Tmoney said:

You need to actually watch games instead of looking at stats if you think Walden hasn't be productive and Doyle is not gonna take a discount when a team like the giants will probably give him 8-9 a year. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your post makes me wonder how many Colts games you've actually seen?

Doyle has zero blocking ability?      Do the Colts know this?      You know in addition to blocking along the line,  he also blocks as a fullback?     

You turn a guy who has only really played two years into a negative by saying he only has one year of production.      Well,  that typically happens when you're mostly behind Fleener and Allen.

Doyle will get re-signed.     I think you can bank on it.      I'm sorry you'll be disappointed.    

Zero blocking ability might have been a little harsh but if he wants big $$$ I hope we show him the door. No reason to have all this money invested in TEs