Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Mixon not invited to NFL combine

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You would think if Mixon was sober then he would've been able to maintain his cool even more and just walk away. If he was intoxicated that would make him more prone to act like he did. JMO. Usually the sober person of a situation would defuse a problem.

I get what you saying. But let's put it in his perspective. Someone just called you the N word as a black man. You start jawin back and forth. Then said person slaps you. It takes a pretty strong person to walk away. And not to mention your an 18 year old immature kid still

My problem with people like Mixon who abuse women usually do it more than one time. 

Did anyone really think Ray Rice only did it one time? Theres a good chance Mixon has probably done it before the time we saw it on video, and theres a good chance he will do it again. Abusers don't usually change unfortunately, a lot of them do it their entire life.

If the Colts draft him, and he does it again, the same people in this thread wanting him drafted, will be killing the GM for drafting him. 

36 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

My problem with people like Mixon who abuse women usually do it more than one time. 

Did anyone really think Ray Rice only did it one time? Theres a good chance Mixon has probably done it before the time we saw it on video, and theres a good chance he will do it again. Abusers don't usually change unfortunately, a lot of them do it their entire life.

If the Colts draft him, and he does it again, the same people in this thread wanting him drafted, will be killing the GM for drafting him. 

I want to draft him if he is there 4th or later, and would not hold it against Ballard for drafting him.  If Mixon screws up we cut him and it costs us a 4th (not that big of deal). There is a lot more reward than risk if we can draft him with a 3rd day pick. 

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

The only thing Mixon and Rice have in common is that they both hit women.    Other than that,  the two incidents have almost NOTHING IN COMMON.

Rice was 27.     Mixon was 18.

Rice was in a long-term relationship with the same women.    Mixon had never met the women before that incident. 

Rice and the woman had a run-up to the moment.      Mixon's incident happened in an instant.    They met,  heated words were exchanged,  she shoved him and smacked him good,  he instinctively reacted.   One moment things were OK, they next moment she had 3-4 fractures of her face.     All in an instant.

At 18 he likely hasn't been around women long enough to have a prior history like this.   This was not an incident based on him being an abuser.  He has no history.  Have you noticed that in the nearly 3 years since this happened,  to the best of my knowledge,  no other woman has come forward to claim this happened to her?     When does that happen?

Rice and Mixon both hit a woman.     Other than that,  they have almost nothing in common.

Seriously. 

If you still don't want the Colts to draft him,  I have no objection.    Believe it or not I'm NOT trying to change your mind.   I'm only trying to make clear that the two incidents are not close to being the same.     That's all.    

Honestly.

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The only thing Mixon and Rice have in common is that they both hit women.    Other than that,  the two incidents have almost NOTHING IN COMMON.

Rice was 27.     Mixon was 18.

Rice was in a long-term relationship with the same women.    Mixon had never met the women before that incident. 

Rice and the woman had a run-up to the moment.      Mixon's incident happened in an instant.    They met,  heated words were exchanged,  she shoved him and smacked him good,  he instinctively reacted.   One moment things were OK, they next moment she had 3-4 fractures of her face.     All in an instant.

At 18 he likely hasn't been around women long enough to have a prior history like this.   This was not an incident based on him being an abuser.  He has no history.  Have you noticed that in the nearly 3 years since this happened,  to the best of my knowledge,  no other woman has come forward to claim this happened to her?     When does that happen?

Rice and Mixon both hit a woman.     Other than that,  they have almost nothing in common.

Seriously. 

If you still don't want the Colts to draft him,  I have no objection.    Believe it or not I'm NOT trying to change your mind.   I'm only trying to make clear that the two incidents are not close to being the same.     That's all.    

Honestly.

I am all about 2nd chances but I think the Colts are at a point where he is too big of a risk to Draft. If we were to Draft him and it blew up in our face, that would be bad and a bad look for our franchise. What he did was pretty bad. We need to nail this Draft and watch the risks we take IMO. People make mistakes, like what Peyton did in college (which was a 3 second mooning prank, according to Pats fans it was sexual assault though haha but it wasn't even close to that in reality) or like players getting a DUI - a lot of people have had those, or Brady cheating but that isn't anywhere near like punching a woman in the face. Like I said, JMO he would be a big risk drafting him. What Ray Rice did ended his career, if Mixon did that in the Pro's his career would be over and it would be a wasted Draft pick.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am all about 2nd chances but I think the Colts are at a point where he is too big of a risk to Draft. If we were to Draft him and it blew up in our face, that would be bad and a bad look for our franchise. What he did was pretty bad. We need to nail this Draft and watch the risks we take IMO. People make mistakes, like what Peyton did in college (which was a 3 second mooning prank, according to Pats fans it was sexual assault though haha but it wasn't even close to that in reality) or like players getting a DUI - a lot of people have had those, or Brady cheating but that isn't anywhere near like punching a woman in the face. Like I said, JMO he would be a big risk drafting him. What Ray Rice did ended his career, if Mixon did that in the Pro's his career would be over and it would be a wasted Draft pick.

Depends on where he is drafted how big of risk he is; I don't think anyone is advocating using a high round pick on him ... imo a using a 3rd day pick on Mixon is low risk, high reward. 

16 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Now he will drop further!

I don't think so. Teams know him not being invited at the combine is strictly for the NFL not to receive more bad PR than they already have. I think a team will pull the trigger in the 3rd-4th round after they see his pro day and private workouts.

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't think so. Teams know him not being invited at the combine is strictly for the NFL not to receive more bad PR than they already have. I think a team will pull the trigger in the 3rd-4th round after they see his pro day and private workouts.

And I wanted him in the 4th of he was at the combine he would go higher 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

And I wanted him in the 4th of he was at the combine he would go higher 

If I was the GM, and Cook/Fournette didn't fall to us. I would be worried another team grabbed him before our pick in the middle of the 4th and probably get him with our 3rd.

But He could fall a lot further, who knows?

8 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

I get what you saying. But let's put it in his perspective. Someone just called you the N word as a black man. You start jawin back and forth. Then said person slaps you. It takes a pretty strong person to walk away. And not to mention your an 18 year old immature kid still

Add to the fact that she spit in his face. That's the thing that more than likely pushed him over the edge. He's still not in the right. It wasn't his punch that gave the supposed face fracture it was the table she hit on the way down

I watched the video, no audio.   Looks like a heated exchange amongst kids.  The the one kid, a white female, assaults the other kid, a black male.   The black male immediately reacts to the assault, admittedly badly, but arguably in a defensive counter punch.  The attacker then falls to the ground, hitting her face on the table on the way down.   The accused assaulter, the black boy, did return to the argument prior to the incident, showing bad judgement in so doing.

This is just a snippet video without audio on the version I watched, so there is no context with which to frame the incident.

Based on what my eyes saw, though, I would be quite hesitant to condemn the boy that was firstly assaulted to such an extent that years later, this brief incident is detrimentally affecting his employability, to play a professional sport.  Obviously, though, his character would have to be well vetted.  

9 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Ask the women in his life how they feel about him and they will tell you the exact opposite in regards to him. Taylor and his mother, friends from school they'll all speak for his character. He's never done anything prior of this nature. I don't believe one instance should mark him as a woman abuser either. He made one serious lapse of judgment in a violent situation and he's marked as a abuser. We don't mark people who speed once or have a traffic ticket reckless drivers, we don't mark someone who has said one racy joke as a racist, we don't mark someone who has gotten drunk one time as an alcoholic, why is this any different? He made one terrible dumb and violent decision, he has served a suspension (say he basically Red shirted if you want but it was a year of his life wasted without football), did a lot of community service and has faced scrutiny from everyone who knows the situation for what he did. Whether or not what he has done to pay for it is enough of a punishment is irrelevant because he met the prerequisites and served the consequences put before him to be given a second chance from his team.

I will not kill the GM for drafting Joe regardless of what happens afterwards because I believe he should be given a second chance. I also don't want to attack you for this post, I just want to respond to the situation so if it felt like I was I'm sorry. 

10 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

She never called him the N word.  

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Add to the fact that she spit in his face. That's the thing that more than likely pushed him over the edge. He's still not in the right. It wasn't his punch that gave the supposed face fracture it was the table she hit on the way down

She admitted to spitting in his face?

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Do we know for sure this happened?     That she spit in his face?     Your mentioning it is the first I've heard of this.      The other claim he makes is that she, or someone in her group,  used the N-word on him.     I'm not sure that's confirmed either.

Can you share a link on the spit allegation?     I'd like to read it if I could....

Many thanks....

I haven't looked into it much so forgive me if what follows isn't relevant to the situation. I'm basing this on NCF's description of the situation. But this idea that women cannot be hit and are some sort of protected class is archaic and stupid. If you initiate a physical altercation, it is fully within someone's rights to respond accordingly. If some lady comes up and starts attacking me, I'm not going to sit there and just accept it because she is a woman. Gender is completely irrelevant. You do not get a pass to physically attack someone because of your gender. If I were to hit someone, it is fully within their rights to hit me back. 

6 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

I haven't looked into it much so forgive me if what follows isn't relevant to the situation. I'm basing this on NCF's description of the situation. But this idea that women cannot be hit and are some sort of protected class is archaic and stupid. If you initiate a physical altercation, it is fully within someone's rights to respond accordingly. If some lady comes up and starts attacking me, I'm not going to sit there and just accept it because she is a woman. Gender is completely irrelevant. You do not get a pass to physically attack someone because of your gender. If I were to hit someone, it is fully within their rights to hit me back. 

Yes under rare circumstances if a woman attacks a man you may have to put her down, like if she has a Weapon or Gun or whatever and you are in a life threatening situation. In this case she looks like a blabbering drunk that hit him. IMO he could've easily shrugged it off and walked away. Got the store manager to take care of that situation, then got the police called. His life definitely wasn't in danger. It's not like she picked up a knife and tried to stab him. I once had a friend that had a girl throw a drink in his face at a bar we were at and he immediately walked away and got security, she got kicked out, end of story. He didn't clock her upside the head like Mixon did in his incident.

39 minutes ago, BOTT said:

She admitted to spitting in his face?

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do we know for sure this happened?     That she spit in his face?     Your mentioning it is the first I've heard of this.      The other claim he makes is that she, or someone in her group,  used the N-word on him.     I'm not sure that's confirmed either.

Can you share a link on the spit allegation?     I'd like to read it if I could....

Many thanks....

https://youtu.be/u-6wHY06GH8

This video is where I got it from. Now I'll admit I watched this video and gathered the information before tmz had there video so how right this is I'm not sure. However that's where I got the information.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Looks legit lol

And I imagain you meant to quote the other video. There's alot of information in that video from someone who obviously did alot of research. But if we're gunna talk legit news sources then tmz (the one you posted) is not legit at all. Take it all with a grain of salt and form your own opinion

6 minutes ago, twfish said:

Because you only linked the part where they were telling her side of the story not his.

I linked the video because Mixon's own lawyer contradicted the poster I responded to.  So, it was, in fact, his side of the story as related to who used the N word.

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

And I imagain you meant to quote the other video. There's alot of information in that video from someone who obviously did alot of research. But if we're gunna talk legit news sources then tmz (the one you posted) is not legit at all. Take it all with a grain of salt and form your own opinion

Apple and oranges.  You posted random guy from internet.  I posted a video from police that had zero commentary from tmz.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Apple and oranges.  You posted random guy from internet.  I posted a video from police that had zero commentary from tmz.

:facepalm: I posted the latter half of the tmz video in response to your video. That was apples too apples man. You were asking where I got that she spit in his face and I showed you where I got it from. It may not be true but that's where I heard she spit in his face

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

:facepalm: I posted the latter half of the tmz video in response to your video. That was apples too apples man. You were asking where I got that she spit in his face and I showed you where I got it from. It may not be true but that's where I heard she spit in his face

Good grief.  The later half of the video you posted does nothing to contradict MIXON'S OWN LAWYER saying that it was someone else at the table who used the N word.  No reason for me to show the 2nd half of the video.

when I said apples to oranges I thought it was fairly obvious I was referencing your video from random dude giving opinions on YouTube.

I'm neutral on it, if he's as good as he appears on the field, he's worth taking the risk.  But if I were a GM to draft him, I'd be making it very clear to him that a single off the field issue and he's gone instantly.  Being on a rookie contract, the salary hit wont be much, especially if he falls out of the top 3 rounds. So to me, its similar to the La'ell Collins situation, high reward potential, low risk.  Granted Collins was a different situation entirely, but the mere high reward/low risk thing is what im saying is similar.  I'd make the pick IF he was the highest graded plaer on my board outside of the the top3 rounds.

He probably deserves another chance, but he deserves to be drafted low and I don't want any part of him near the Colts organization. People across the board in college football in general have to finally be held accountable. Coaches and players alike. College football is far more corrupt than any of us even realize. The stuff coming out about Art Briles and the Baylor program should make anybody sick to their stomach.

1 hour ago, CantBeStopped said:

I've seen this video. The investigators suck. They don't let Joe get a word in and contradict anything he tries to say

If you have watched the video why do you still falsely claim the the women called Mixon the n word?

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes under rare circumstances if a woman attacks a man you may have to put her down, like if she has a Weapon or Gun or whatever and you are in a life threatening situation. In this case she looks like a blabbering drunk that hit him. IMO he could've easily shrugged it off and walked away. Got the store manager to take care of that situation, then got the police called. His life definitely wasn't in danger. It's not like she picked up a knife and tried to stab him. I once had a friend that had a girl throw a drink in his face at a bar we were at and he immediately walked away and got security, she got kicked out, end of story. He didn't clock her upside the head like Mixon did in his incident.

Yeah I've been socked before by a couple women lol!!  They weren't even drunk and I sure as heck didn't knock them out with a full force punch to the face.  Maybe wrestled them off me ect, but that's it.

I think the kid seems like a basket case.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

If you have watched the video why do you still falsely claim the the women called Mixon the n word?

Real question is. Why would you stand up for a druggie with a record. She had a bench warrant out for her arrest when she slapped Mixon in the face. She should have been taken to the hospital for her injuries then transported to jail

42 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

Real question is. Why would you stand up for a druggie with a record. She had a bench warrant out for her arrest when she slapped Mixon in the face. She should have been taken to the hospital for her injuries then transported to jail

Good lord

Here's a different question that I haven't really heard anyone ask yet: It's obvious the NFL is making moves to show owners they don't want Joe in the league (such as not inviting him to the combine). Assuming Joe gets drafted, or not even drafted, if he makes a teams final 53, will Goodell try to put him on the commissioners exempt list like he did Ray Rice?