Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

11 hours ago, landrus13 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agency-six-players-receive-qualifying-offers-including-yankees-dj-lemahieu-reds-trevor-bauer/

Trevor Bauer - Reds

DJ LeMahieu - Yankees

Kevin Gausman - Giants

JT Realmuto - Phillies

George Springer - Astros

Marcus Stroman - Mets

The QO in 2020 is set at $18.9M. I'd definitely be signing that this year with the market likely to be poor. Probably not gonna get that kinda money on the market this year. Unless the Mets with Cohen or the Yankees or Dodgers decide to spend more. I feel like the Dodgers have a ton of money tied up already so I don't see them as big players.

This will be an off season like no other.  As you mentioned, money is tighter now for most, if not all teams.  I don't expect any big time FA contracts this winter.

Wong's defense will be missed in St. Louis and I read that the Angels are interested in him.  Hard to imagine Wainwright and Yadi in any other uniform, but that's the state of baseball these days.

Cardinals Front Office makes comments that lead me to believe that they will not be throwing any money around this winter.  Maybe some minor FA signings to fill the roster, but no big names are expected to go to St. Louis.

They'll be mediocre neat season, but maybe just good enough again to get a wild card spot.  I think they have their sights set on the 2022 season after several bad contracts come off the books (Fowler, Carpenter, etc.).

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Barry Sears said:

This will be an off season like no other.  As you mentioned, money is tighter now for most, if not all teams.  I don't expect any big time FA contracts this winter.

Wong's defense will be missed in St. Louis and I read that the Angels are interested in him.  Hard to imagine Wainwright and Yadi in any other uniform, but that's the state of baseball these days.

Cardinals Front Office makes comments that lead me to believe that they will not be throwing any money around this winter.  Maybe some minor FA signings to fill the roster, but no big names are expected to go to St. Louis.

They'll be mediocre neat season, but maybe just good enough again to get a wild card spot.  I think they have their sights set on the 2022 season after several bad contracts come off the books (Fowler, Carpenter, etc.).

You are right on all points. ESPN predicted Realmuto was gonna get $110M. No way that happens unless it's the Yankees. 

It'll be a little weird seeing Wong in a different jersey next year. His defense is probably not replaceable. His offense certainly is though. 

Wainwright and Yadi are tough to figure out. I know the Cardinals would like them back. But I also know Yadi is wanting top dollar because he believes he's still the best catcher in the game (he is not). Wainwright would like to play one last year with Yadi behind the plate. Not sure that happens in STL.

I agree about the bad contracts. STL probably won't do much this winter. Maybe a few role players until the bad deals come off the books. I'm looking forward to those deals coming off the books. Gonna clear up a lot of money. And the Cardinals will have some holes to fill all over the field. 

1. J.T. Realmuto, C, Phillies
2021 Opening Day age: 30
Projected contract: 5 years, $110 million

2. George Springer, OF, Astros
2021 Opening Day age: 31
Projected contract: 4 years, $108 million

3. DJ LeMahieu, 2B, Yankees
2021 Opening Day age: 32
Projected contract: 4 years, $88 million

4. Trevor Bauer, SP, Reds
Projected contract: 1 year, $31 million

5. Marcell Ozuna, OF, Braves
Projected contract: 3 years, $60 million

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30170872/ranking-every-mlb-free-agent-2020-offseason

Those projections came from that article by ESPN. Those numbers are a little generous considering the financial climate in baseball right now. 

4 hours ago, landrus13 said:

You are right on all points. ESPN predicted Realmuto was gonna get $110M. No way that happens unless it's the Yankees. 

It'll be a little weird seeing Wong in a different jersey next year. His defense is probably not replaceable. His offense certainly is though. 

Wainwright and Yadi are tough to figure out. I know the Cardinals would like them back. But I also know Yadi is wanting top dollar because he believes he's still the best catcher in the game (he is not). Wainwright would like to play one last year with Yadi behind the plate. Not sure that happens in STL.

I agree about the bad contracts. STL probably won't do much this winter. Maybe a few role players until the bad deals come off the books. I'm looking forward to those deals coming off the books. Gonna clear up a lot of money. And the Cardinals will have some holes to fill all over the field. 

The Mets maybe one of the teams to spend big, Cohen is now owner and has the deeeeeep pockets to spend. The reports have said he is expected to spend big, or willing to at least. He also has reinsituted salaries for employees back to the prepandemic levels.

@NFLfan you excited to see them be willing to spend more money on players and perhaps getting some of the better FA?

48 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

The Mets maybe one of the teams to spend big, Cohen is now owner and has the deeeeeep pockets to spend. The reports have said he is expected to spend big, or willing to at least. He also has reinsituted salaries for employees back to the prepandemic levels.

@NFLfan you excited to see them be willing to spend more money on players and perhaps getting some of the better FA?

Not really. I like to build from within. Draft well and make good trades for young players, not older ones. I dislike giving away young prospect for older veterans.

I also dislike signing high-priced free agents until we have a strong core of players.  A couple of years ago, many Mets fans were willing to give $30M/year to Harper or Machado. I was vehemently opposed to signing them. (I would have paid that for Trout though. He is different.)

I like young players to grow together. I have never liked the way the Mets build their teams. I like the way the Cardinals build theirs. I hope the Mets keep most of the young guys and trade vets for more prospects. That is my preference. I suspect, however, they will want to make a splash to appease most of the fans. 

22 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Not really. I like to build from within. Draft well and make good trades for young players, not older ones. I dislike giving away young prospect for older veterans.

I also dislike signing high-priced free agents until we have a strong core of players.  A couple of years ago, many Mets fans were willing to give $30M/year to Harper or Machado. I was vehemently opposed to signing them. (I would have paid that for Trout though. He is different.)

I like young players to grow together. I have never liked the way the Mets build their teams. I like the way the Cardinals build theirs. I hope the Mets keep most of the young guys and trade vets for more prospects. That is my preference. I suspect, however, they will want to make a splash to appease most of the fans. 

I see, I get the building from within, but there is also that need once you get them up and going, you normallly need a vet or two. Look at Cubs and Lester. The fact too, Cohen will at least pay your guys like Thor and deGrom (in theory) I would think this means you wont just trade guys, not resign cuz their cost went up. More so in future. Look at the Dodgers for that prime example, you guys may be able to do that something I cant imagine Wilpon would have done

3 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I see, I get the building from within, but there is also that need once you get them up and going, you normallly need a vet or two. Look at Cubs and Lester. The fact too, Cohen will at least pay your guys like Thor and deGrom (in theory) I would think this means you wont just trade guys, not resign cuz their cost went up. More so in future. Look at the Dodgers for that prime example, you guys may be able to do that something I cant imagine Wilpon would have done

I like what the Cubs did. They had a core of players and then added the RF, Arietta, and others. The Mets are not there yet. Of course, I want to re-sign our own players (deGrom, Thor, Lugo, Alonso, JD Davis, McNeil, Conforto, A. Rosario, and even the closer, if he can get his act together). Then we can add a vet here and there but I do not want to trade prospects for vets. 

Now that I listed the names, it seems we may have a core. Lol.

20 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I like what the Cubs did. They had a core of players and then added the RF, Arietta, and others. The Mets are not there yet. Of course, I want to re-sign our own players (deGrom, Thor, Lugo, Alonso, JD Davis, McNeil, Conforto, A. Rosario, and even the closer, if he can get his act together). Then we can add a vet here and there but I do not want to trade prospects for vets. 

Now that I listed the names, it seems we may have a core. Lol.

Haha maybe. And that is certainly a major thing for you guys now, you will be able to have a better chance to resign. You guys could use a Catcher couldn't you? JT maybe?

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Haha maybe. And that is certainly a major thing for you guys now, you will be able to have a better chance to resign. You guys could use a Catcher couldn't you? JT maybe?

Yes, we need one. Hopefully we have one in the minors. Bring him up. :)

On 11/2/2020 at 5:13 PM, NFLfan said:

That's what I prefer.  Build your team through the draft and young players signings then add a player or 2 that fit both the need and your team chemistry.   i was thrilled with the Goldschmidt.  Fit a need and a good clubhouse guy.   

As a fan, that way of team building is best I think.   It makes the seasons fun even though you are not a favorite to win it all.  

11 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Tony La Russa is causing even more of a why would they hire him for CWS. Pulled over for drunk driving and then trying to flaunt his WS ring saying he is HoF. From just being out of the dugout so long and a young team it just looks even worse

I didn't understand this hire by the White Sox.  Yes, LaRussa is a HOF manager, but he has some baggage and I wonder how such a young roster will relate to him.  Will be interesting to see how this works out.

9 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I didn't understand this hire by the White Sox.  Yes, LaRussa is a HOF manager, but he has some baggage and I wonder how such a young roster will relate to him.  Will be interesting to see how this works out.

I think very little. They got a lot of guys about my age, and the fact is people that much order we just hear you but dont listen

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

breaking news dog meme GIF by Mike Diva
Theo Epstein is stepping down as the Cubs President and Jed Hoyer will take over 

Just read that. Also read that he’s taking next year off but plans to come back and be involved in one more rebuild. The article mentioned there’s a lot of talk about him going to the Mets.... @NFLfan what do you think about that possibility? 

21 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Just read that. Also read that he’s taking next year off but plans to come back and be involved in one more rebuild. The article mentioned there’s a lot of talk about him going to the Mets.... @NFLfan what do you think about that possibility? 

I am ok with it, sometimes change is simply better. The Cubs had the best 6 season run in their history from 2015-2020:

2015 = 97-65 (lost in the NLCS)

2016 = 103-58 (won the Division, won the NL, won the WS)

2017 = 92-70 (won the Division, lost in the NLCS)

2018 = 95-68 (made playoffs, lost in WC round)

2019 = 84-78 (missed playoffs but still a winning season)

2020 = 33-27 (won the Division during a pandemic, lost in WC round)

*Total W/L record = 504-366/57.9 winning%, that basically averages out to 94 wins a season in a 162 game season over 6 seasons.

*Won the Division 3 times = 2016, 2017, 2020

*Won the NL = 2016

*Won the WS = 2016

*Made 3 NLCS = 2015, 2016, 2017

*Kris Bryant won NL MVP = 2016

*Jake Arrieta won NL CY Young = 2015

-Us Cubs fans will always have the memories no matter what happens!

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

I would like that. The GMs I like are Dave Dombrowski (#1 choice) and Theo Epstein. 

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No Cano for NY in 2021 after he was suspended for PED use

@NFLfan

I saw that earlier. What a terrible trade that was! I was never in favor of it. I don't like to trade younger prospects for older ones, especially when the older ones are being paid a lot more. Good riddance. Bye Cano!

On 11/18/2020 at 7:30 PM, NFLfan said:

I saw that earlier. What a terrible trade that was! I was never in favor of it. I don't like to trade younger prospects for older ones, especially when the older ones are being paid a lot more. Good riddance. Bye Cano!

A fan asked Cohen on Twitter what they were going to do with the money the twitter user said bullpen carts, Cohen responded with players

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Schwarber one of 4 guys non-tendered by Cubs (Almora, Martinez, MVP vote getter Ryan Tepara the others)

Bummer, but It was time. Great guy, did a lot of amazing things for first responders in Chicago.Going to miss his bat, but he had become less reliable and left field was not for him. Bummed about Almora too but he had also struggled as of late. Hopefully a change of scenery gets them going again, just not against my Cubbies!

23 hours ago, HOZER said:

Bummer, but It was time. Great guy, did a lot of amazing things for first responders in Chicago.Going to miss his bat, but he had become less reliable and left field was not for him. Bummed about Almora too but he had also struggled as of late. Hopefully a change of scenery gets them going again, just not against my Cubbies!

Even more of a bummer, Len Kasper went to White Sox radio, this is the first time in my fandom that Len will not be calling games since I started watching in 2007

On 12/3/2020 at 9:12 PM, HOZER said:

Yeah I am ok with it, it was probably time for Kyle to explore other avenues. He helped us win a WS so it is all good.

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Even more of a bummer, Len Kasper went to White Sox radio, this is the first time in my fandom that Len will not be calling games since I started watching in 2007

Just saw that, man times are changing. Wonder who gets trade?

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We need to find a way to keep MVP, Baez, Contreras, and Rizzo for at least 3 more years if we want to realistically compete.

I would say Bote too because MVP has had a tendency of being injured off and on the last 2 years. Bote is a good young player. Pitching wise I am happy with Yu and Hendricks, the others have me concerned. 

14 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Well Mets signed a new catcher. James McCann 4 years a little over 40 mil. Was number 2 on market behind JT

I know nothing about him. I have not followed baseball at all. I will check the Mets site.

Thank you!

• NFLfan changed the title to Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

Archived