Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Offseason Fix (GCG's Way)

Cut:

D-Jax- Whilst a leader of the defense and a good run stopper, he is getting up there in age and has problems in coverage (plus the recent problems with PED could be a factor.) Would save around 5 mil in cap space

Arthur Jones- Unfortunately unable to stay healthy and with decent depth on the D-line and his cap hit (again about 5 mil) is a cap casualty

Cap after cuts= $70 million (according to spotrac including rollover from 2016)

Look to retain/Extend:

Jack Mewhort (extend) 7 mil per year (4-5 years)- Our best lineman- he will need to be locked up ASAP (salary within same range as Josh Sitton)

Donte Moncrief (extend) 6.2 mil per year (4-5 years)- whilst been injured this year, he has a important member of the offense and can help take away coverage from Hilton, as well as be that bigger body receiver (salary in about the same region as Mohamed Sanu)

Zach Kerr- 760k per year (2-3 years)- Good as a part of D line rotation

Jack Doyle- 2 mil per year (2-3 years)- Has been a pleasant surprise for the offense and loved by the team, should be brought back

Akeem Ayers- 2.6 mil per year (1-2 years), has had a decent year with the team, could be someone worthwhile bringing back

Robert Turbin- 760k for 1 year, has been a decent 2nd RB behind Gore and wouldn’t mind back for depth

Jonotthan Harrison- 760k for 1 year, not been too bad at G, worth bringing back for depth

Erik Swoope- 600k for 1 year, depth at TE

Cap Remaining- approx. 49.3 mil

Note: Regrettably, I decided not to resign players such as Mathis, Butler, Adams etc. because I feel that it would be important for the team to become a younger team, especially if some of the older players are going to (or have already started) declining

Sign (FA):

Dre Kirkpatrick (3 years 15 million) - Whilst I would love the option of getting Stephon Gilmore- he would be looking for #1 CB money, something I would’ve been willing to pay if we don’t already have a #1 CB in Davis, Kirkpatrick would be a very solid #2 CB and allow Robinson to move to the nickel

Nick Perry- (3 years 18 million)- A OLB who has improved this year, and someone who whilst not our main pass rusher, could still rush the QB in his own right (play a similar role to Walden)

Zach Brown (3 years 15 million)- a very underrated LB, good in coverage and the run, he would be a good replacement at the Mike LB position left by D-Jax- plus he gives another option for Monachino’s defense (he can stop the run with Morrison and cover with E Jackson)

Earl Watford (1 year 750k)- provide Oline depth, in particular at the tackle spot

Draft:

1stJamal Adams S LSU- IMO the 2nd best defensive player in the draft, drafting him would allow the defense to have allow 3 safety formations (with Geathers acting a LB), also the leader of LSU’s defense, will be a potential leader for a NFL defense

2nd- Carl Lawson OLB Auburn- Although he has had injury problems in the past, when healthy he has the potential to be a dominant pass rusher, can start off as a just a pass rusher year 1 and then develop in the run game

3rd- Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee- An aggressive press corner (who can help in the run game), can play both the nickel or the outside aswell as return kicks (could fall due to injury)

4th-Ryan Anderson OLB Alabama- The other Bama OLB, solid in his own right as a pass rusher and good versus the run

5th – James Connor RB Pittsburgh- a big powerful RB with surprisingly good burst through the gap, could be a good replacement for a bruiser like Gore

6th- Jalen Reeves Maybin ILB Tennessee- Another Vol would could fall due to injury, a quick thumper (almost similar to E-Jax in that sense)

7th BPA

Hopefully, this will allow our team to get younger whilst at the same time, add players who can help this team, in particular on defense. Let me know what you think :)

This is just as good (or bad) a guess as any of these mocks and offseason predictions.  

But one thing to note is how expensive it was to participate in the first couple days of free agency last year.  Considering what was doled out last year, your numbers seem really low to me, both in # of years and overall value.

26 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Cut:

D-Jax- Whilst a leader of the defense and a good run stopper, he is getting up there in age and has problems in coverage (plus the recent problems with PED could be a factor.) Would save around 5 mil in cap space

Arthur Jones- Unfortunately unable to stay healthy and with decent depth on the D-line and his cap hit (again about 5 mil) is a cap casualty

Look to retain/Extend:

Jack Mewhort (extend) 7 mil per year (4-5 years)- Our best lineman- he will need to be locked up ASAP (salary within same range as Josh Sitton)

Donte Moncrief (extend) 6.2 mil per year (4-5 years)- whilst been injured this year, he has a important member of the offense and can help take away coverage from Hilton, as well as be that bigger body receiver (salary in about the same region as Mohamed Sanu)

Jack Doyle- 2 mil per year (2-3 years)- Has been a pleasant surprise for the offense and loved by the team, should be brought back

Akeem Ayers- 2.6 mil per year (1-2 years), has had a decent year with the team, could be someone worthwhile bringing back

Robert Turbin- 760k for 1 year, has been a decent 2nd RB behind Gore and wouldn’t mind back for depth

Jonotthan Harrison- 760k for 1 year, not been too bad at G, worth bringing back for depth

Note: Regrettably, I decided not to resign players such as Mathis, Butler, Adams etc. because I feel that it would be important for the team to become a younger team, especially if some of the older players are going to (or have already started) declining

Sign (FA):

Dre Kirkpatrick (3 years 15 million) - Whilst I would love the option of getting Stephon Gilmore- he would be looking for #1 CB money, something I would’ve been willing to pay if we don’t already have a #1 CB in Davis, Kirkpatrick would be a very solid #2 CB and allow Robinson to move to the nickel

Nick Perry- (3 years 18 million)- A OLB who has improved this year, and someone who whilst not our main pass rusher, could still rush the QB in his own right (play a similar role to Walden)

Zach Brown (3 years 15 million)- a very underrated LB, good in coverage and the run, he would be a good replacement at the Mike LB position left by D-Jax- plus he gives another option for Monachino’s defense (he can stop the run with Morrison and cover with E Jackson)

Earl Watford (1 year 750k)- provide Oline depth, in particular at the tackle spot

Draft:

1st– Jamal Adams S LSU- IMO the 2nd best defensive player in the draft, drafting him would allow the defense to have allow 3 safety formations (with Geathers acting a LB), also the leader of LSU’s defense, will be a potential leader for a NFL defense

2nd- Carl Lawson OLB Auburn- Although he has had injury problems in the past, when healthy he has the potential to be a dominant pass rusher, can start off as a just a pass rusher year 1 and then develop in the run game

3rd- Cameron Sutton CB Tennessee- An aggressive press corner (who can help in the run game), can play both the nickel or the outside aswell as return kicks (could fall due to injury)

4th-Ryan Anderson OLB Alabama- The other Bama OLB, solid in his own right as a pass rusher and good versus the run

5th – James Connor RB Pittsburgh- a big powerful RB with surprisingly good burst through the gap, could be a good replacement for a bruiser like Gore

6th- Jalen Reeves Maybin ILB Tennessee- Another Vol would could fall due to injury, a quick thumper (almost similar to E-Jax in that sense)

7th BPA

Hopefully, this will allow our team to get younger whilst at the same time, add players who can help this team, in particular on defense. Let me know what you think :)

I would cut Allen too if we can he stinks. but I think it will take a little more to keep Doyle I thin 4.5 would be enough to keep him around for a season or two Swoope I would just RFA tender him for another year.

Those numbers for FA are not realistic.  Kirkpatrick will definitely get more than 5/year.  Nick Perry will get more as well because in FA teams with money will throw it at them.  Also, I am a fan of BPA in the draft but would not like a safety in the first.  I would rather someone in the front 7 since you have us going after a CB in FA.

I like it.  I usually try to be very conservative in FA, 'cause your $ never go as far as you think.  All four of your FA additions seem a little optimistic to me.  I've got a couple of your moves (Kirkpatrick, D'Qwell and Butler gone, re-signing Doyle and Harrison, etc.), but one of my top priorities is to re-sign Walden.  He's our best pass-rusher and LB (by far on both accounts), and he'd bring us some veteran continuity and leadership (which will be lacking after booting D'Qwell).  But, hey, if we can do all that in FA, I'm all for it (more than one way to skin a cat)!  One note: Ayers is already under contract for 2017.  Nice job, though!

We need a mad dog in the DL to press the opposition.  I would trade our #2 pick for Sheldon Richardson.  I'd throw in DAllen and get a 4 round pick from the Jets.  So, we get Richardson and a 4th for Allen and a 2nd.

I know, Richardson has issues.  However, the Jets are a team adrift without a captain.  He'd bring us an instant pressure from the DLine.  Also, we get something in return for Allen vs just cutting him for nothing.  Any thoughts?

Cut:

Look to retain/Extend:

Sign (FA):

Draft:

1stJamal Adams S LSU- IMO the 2nd best defensive player in the draft, drafting him would allow the defense to have allow 3 safety formations (with Geathers acting a LB), also the leader of LSU’s defense, will be a potential leader for a NFL defense

7th BPA

Hopefully, this will allow our team to get younger whilst at the same time, add players who can help this team, in particular on defense. Let me know what you think [emoji4]

I like Conner. He reminds me of Eddie George.

I just don't like throwing money at average. That's what got us in this mess.  Kirkpatrick and Perry to me are just average at best guys who under-performed for the most part and then had decent contract years. You say you wouldn't want Gilmore because he'd be too expensive and we have Vontae, but Vontae will soon be 30 and next year is the last of his deal. I take the opposite approach, you have money to spend and need impact players. pay up to get 1 or 2 impact guys then nail the draft.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Those numbers for FA are not realistic.  Kirkpatrick will definitely get more than 5/year.  Nick Perry will get more as well because in FA teams with money will throw it at them.  Also, I am a fan of BPA in the draft but would not like a safety in the first.  I would rather someone in the front 7 since you have us going after a CB in FA.

So you're not a fan of BPA

10 hours ago, Doctor Mad said:

We need a mad dog in the DL to press the opposition.  I would trade our #2 pick for Sheldon Richardson.  I'd throw in DAllen and get a 4 round pick from the Jets.  So, we get Richardson and a 4th for Allen and a 2nd.

I know, Richardson has issues.  However, the Jets are a team adrift without a captain.  He'd bring us an instant pressure from the DLine.  Also, we get something in return for Allen vs just cutting him for nothing.  Any thoughts?

I once thought the same about Richardson, since NYJ are stocked at that position, and Williams is the likely one to be traded now. Problem is, I just don't trust him. After last year's off season joy ride of over 100 mph with a child in the back seat, to a point now where he is more of a distraction for the Jets. He has really regressed. He felt he should be paid, did not get an extension, Wilkerson did, and has played terribly this season. Their whole line has regressed, but you also throw in the attitude he has showed, missing meetings, and then you have to give up at least a 3rd for him, would have been a 1st last year, plus you know he is going to expect an extension as soon as he is traded. He has all the talent in the world, but has proved he can turn it on and off. Once you trade for him, and he gets his money, how will he play? Too many questions for me, but I agree with  the analysis of what you want. We need someone who is a mad dog, whether it be in the DL or in the LB core, we need someone who has a nasty attitude out there!

I like the draft picks, and actually the idea of taking Adams is not a bad one. I have heard nothing but positives on Adams, and him and TJ would be an incredibly athletic safety duo back there. Additionally it would let us use Geathers more as a hybrid, which is where the league is going, and we could use him to guard that TE like Gronk, who I believe he could actually match up with, at least better than a LB could. League is evolving at that position, and we need someone to cover that really tough match up due to their size.

I don't think we should overpay for another CB nor do I think Kirkpatrick is going for 5M a year. I like the idea of bringing back Harrison G/C. I want to see more of Clark before signing a T. I thinking bringing in an ILB and an OLB would be great but I don't think Perry leaves GB He's been their best OLB this year. Doesn't Brown led the league in tackles? I like the idea. 

The draft looks good I have thought Adams may fall to us too. I don't think we are getting Anderson in the 4th but someone will be there. Price and could/should have 2 in the 4th. I'm not huge on Connor I want some speed. Overall I like where you were going 

On 12/21/2016 at 10:52 AM, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Cut:

Look to retain/Extend:

Sign (FA):

Draft:

1st– Jamal Adams S LSU- IMO the 2nd best defensive player in the draft, drafting him would allow the defense to have allow 3 safety formations (with Geathers acting a LB), also the leader of LSU’s defense, will be a potential leader for a NFL defense

7th BPA

Where to start?

We'll start with dollars that make no cents (or sense....)    Most of the Colts I think will make more than is being shown here.     I'm not sure we're ready to pay Mewhort 7 Mill per because we've never shown any interest in paying a guard --- any guard --- that much money.       I think we're hoping to get a home-town discount on Mewhort more in the 5-6 million range.    I'm not sure what we'll do if we don't get that discount.    We would let a 2nd round pick go?     Maybe....

I think Jack Doyle is going to make more than 2 Mill per for 2-3 years.   We may have some leverage on him giving him a decent tender that locks him up for a year.     But I think on the open market he'd make at least double per year and possibly more.

I think a number of other Colts are being offered too little, but again,  it may be a case of the tender offer that gives the team leverage.      So,  I'm up in the air until someone like @Superman weighs in.

As for the draft choices....      Doubt Adams falls to us in the 1st.    I think he'll be gone long before we draft.

And the 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks I expect to be gone roughly 2-3 rounds before they're projected here.

--  Anderson may go in the 1st,  but certainly no later than the 2nd day. 

--  I think Connor goes in the 3rd round,  but I don't think later than the 4th.

-- And Reeves-Maybin should be a Day 2 draft pick,  and if he falls, it's hard to see him falling below 4.

So,  I think those Day 3 names are very unrealistic. 

I'm sorry,  I hate to throw a large bottle of cold water on someone's hard work,  I hate being the kill-joy,  but wanted to offer some perspective on this........

Nick Perry, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Zach Brown is EXACTLY what we need this offseason.........BUT you're really lowballing those contracts. Some people may not realize Perry is just tapping into his potential these last 2 years. He's going to get a big contract and I hope its from us. But other than that. I'd draft Tim Williams in the 1st. I'd love to see one of these big time ILB's fall the mid 2nd ala one of my favorite players in the league.........Eric Kendricks. But yeah. all 3 of those guys are going to get way more money than what you have projected.

btw....I'd like to see in FA......

Nick Perry

AJ Bouye

Jamie Collins

Collins and Perry are both great players but would also bring a whole other mentality to this defense. They're winners. They've been on winning teams. Collins won a SB. Was Perry on that GB SB team??? I don't think he was, this is like his 5th season I think, but he's still been on winning GB teams.

If Haeg and Clark turn into a stud RG-RT duo we could be almost set after a killer draft and free agency.

Well, If you agree your QB can't perform behind a mediocre OL and the problem with hiring an outstanding OL is that the QB controls too much of salary cap, then why not attack the problem that is the elephant in the room.  Trade your QB and use the residual $ to hire an outstanding OL.  IF you really believe the OL determines the performance of the QB and running backs, then hire an affordable QB that can be developed like Dallas did and move along.  I know I know probably nobody wants to loose Luck but as it stands he can't deliver so what use is he?  Nadda!  Time to take the bull by the horns and realize that $ rule and Luck costs so much you can't afford an outstanding OL and so it's time for him to depart.  I prefer the "TEAM" concept that requires balance but with an emphasis on where the play actually takes place in the OL and Defensive Secondary and LB Corp.  
Luck is going to hamstring the spending cap for any team that hires him, so let someone else have the burden.  We're not winning with him so lets win without him.

7 hours ago, TDE said:

Well, If you agree your QB can't perform behind a mediocre OL and the problem with hiring an outstanding OL is that the QB controls too much of salary cap, then why not attack the problem that is the elephant in the room.  Trade your QB and use the residual $ to hire an outstanding OL.  IF you really believe the OL determines the performance of the QB and running backs, then hire an affordable QB that can be developed like Dallas did and move along.  I know I know probably nobody wants to loose Luck but as it stands he can't deliver so what use is he?  Nadda!  Time to take the bull by the horns and realize that $ rule and Luck costs so much you can't afford an outstanding OL and so it's time for him to depart.  I prefer the "TEAM" concept that requires balance but with an emphasis on where the play actually takes place in the OL and Defensive Secondary and LB Corp.  
Luck is going to hamstring the spending cap for any team that hires him, so let someone else have the burden.  We're not winning with him so lets win without him.

It's definitely almost the offseason around here.... time for lots of brilliant ideas to come flowing forth.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Cut:

Look to retain/Extend:

Sign (FA):

Draft:

7th BPA

Adams best defensive player I would say that Jackson from USC is the Best defensive player and possibly the most versatile in the draft.

14 hours ago, TDE said:

We have over 60 million to spend. We have our top corner, LT, WR, TE, and RB paid. We have most of our OL under contract for 3 more years. I think we are okay. You don't even consider getting rid of Luck. That's dumb. And we would have to pay some of the guaranteed money so that makes no sense.