Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O-Line Analysis

camcolts2621

Castonzo - 7. Above averag pass protection, average run blocking.

Mewhort - 8. Solid player above average at both. Best guard on the team by far.

Kelly - 7. Does well at both for a rookie.

Good - 5. Average player, better run blocker than pass protector.

Haeg - 7. Better guard than Tackle, but very versital.His versatility is why i gave him a 7. No major drop off when he comes in the game, he has a bright future in the NFL.

Reitz - 5. Average at run blocking and pass protection, also like his versatility. He's a very good backup, shouldn't be a starter, happy to have him on the team though.

Blythe - 3. Rookie, plays like a rookie. Better run blocker than pass pro.

Harrison - 4. Below average pass protection, average run blocker.

Clark - 0. Wasted pick IMO but who knows, mabey he will shine in a year or 2.

49 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

Haeg - 7. Better guard than Tackle, but very versital.His versatility is why i gave him a 7. No major drop off when he comes in the game, he has a bright future in the NFL.

Reitz - 5. Average at run blocking and pass protection, also like his versatility. He's a very good backup, shouldn't be a starter, happy to have him on the team though.

So you have no issue with all the sacks haeg gives up?  

He he is a worse run blocker than good and pass blocking is a struggle for both yet look at how you view them.  

Fans never surprise me

A.Castanzo

Pass Blocking: 7 - He is doing much better than most people think but his pass blocking is still middle of the league for starting LT.

Run Blocking - 8.5  He is such a technician that moving back to a zone blocking scheme has helped his run blocking because it depends more on angles than raw power.

J.Mewhort

Pass Blocking 8.5-9 - Mewhort is the Colts best pass blocker

Run Blocking - 7.5 - Would be an 8 or higher but he struggles at run blocking at the 2nd level.

R.Kelly

Pass Blocking 6 - He gets pushed back some on one one one matchups but for a rooking a 6 is doing really well.

Run Blocking 6.5 - Gets good movement and again a great technician.  If I was to grade his running blocking for the last couple of games it would be in the 7-7.5 range because he's getting better every week.

D.Good

Pass Blocking - 5 - He's getting better but I still think his skills are better suited to tackle.  For a guy that big he lacks the strength to handle the stronger DTs.

Run Blocking - 5.5 - Has good feet and good movement and get get into good position on defenders, but if someone is head up on him then he struggles to move them.

J.Haeg

Pass Blocking - 5 - He is feast or famine... sometimes he does things and you think, "wow, and he's just a rookie."  Then two plays later he will do something and you think, "yup, you can tell he's just a rookie.  He is also not helped by switching from right to left to right again.

Run Blocking - 6.5.  Kind of the same as Good; he's an excellent technician and gets good movement off the snap and can get into position well and is good at maintaining his form once engaged.

J.Reitz

Pass Blocking - 6.5 - Struggles against players with good double moves and can be set up for moves later in the game.

Run Blocking - 6.5 - Doesn't do anything bad but not anything special either.

A.Blythe

Pass Blocking - 4 - Have not seen much of him but he really struggled in the game I saw.

Run blocking - 5 - Got into position but couldn't do much once there.

J.Harrison

Pass Blocking - 6.5 - I have to admit I've been mildly impressed with Harrison at guard, he struggles with DTs that have some pass rushing moves but he holds his own for the most part.

Run blocking - 6 - same issues I saw with him at center, if the guy is head up on him he will just wipe them out of the play but if he has to fire out at an angle then he is too slow footed to be effective.  And when he and Kelly double team a guy, neither slides off to go to the 2nd level.

L.Clark (probably no analysis at this point)

I don't think he has played in a regular season game has he?

5 hours ago, dudeski said:

So you have no problem at all with the sacks haeg gives up?  

He he is a worse run blocker than good and pass blocking is a struggle for both yet look at how you view them.  

Fans never surprise me

Where In my post did I say haeg was a better run blocker than Good? I gave him an overall better grade because of his versatility and potentIal. Hes a rookie that makes rookie mistakes but he has shown signs of being a very good OL. Right now Good and Haeg are both average IMO but one Is a rookie and one Is not so I gave the rookie an edge up. This forum Is mainly used for fans opinions. I respect everybodys opinions on here and dont get on here to bash  others because I dont agree with them at times. If you had a different opinion than why not just post your OL grades the way you see them and go on Instead of attacking other fans views?

19 hours ago, dudeski said:

He he is a worse run blocker than good and pass blocking is a struggle for both yet look at how you view them.  

Fans never surprise me

He's a rookie with good size, good length, good hand placement, good feet and good range. Definitely some technical issues, and he's not strong enough, but Haeg has the tools.

He's not a 7, but he's a good prospect.

20 hours ago, dudeski said:

Fans never surprise me

You didn't say one way or the other,  but whatever you see of Haeg NOW,  what I hope you see is a rookie who has started at three difference positions as a rookie and not embarrassed himself at any of them.

I hope you see a guy with a bright future,  because he has one.

His floor is as a future Joe Reitz jack of all trades, good at all spots lineman.     That's his floor.

But in three-four years he might be the staring right tackle if Clark pans out and eventually becomes the starting left tackle.      And if tackle isn't his ultimate best spot, he might start at guard.    So, his ceiling is as a starter on the line.

Bright future for the kid.     I hope you see it.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You didn't say one way or the other,  but whatever you see of Haeg NOW,  what I hope you see is a rookie who has started at three difference positions as a rookie and not embarrassed himself at any of them.

I hope you see a guy with a bright future,  because he has one.

His floor is as a future Joe Reitz jack of all trades, good at all spots lineman.     That's his floor.

But in three-four years he might be the staring right tackle if Clark pans out and eventually becomes the starting left tackle.      And if tackle isn't his ultimate best spot, he might start at guard.    So, his ceiling is as a starter on the line.

Bright future for the kid.     I hope you see it.

I think haeg is going to be a fine player.

just trying to understand what the difference is between him and Good in the fans eyes.  

Haeg is is a fan favorite and Good is generally talked about negatively.  Good has show as much, if not more promise than haeg 

On 11/11/2016 at 5:42 AM, jchandler7 said:

AC - chuckle

On 11/12/2016 at 9:46 AM, dudeski said:

I think haeg is going to be a fine player.

just trying to understand what the difference is between him and Good in the fans eyes.  

Haeg is is a fan favorite and Good is generally talked about negatively.  Good has show as much, if not more promise than haeg 

Because most people dont actually watch the oline play they just agree with whatever they read from other people.   And Haeg is a rookie so he automatically becomes the greatest player in the history of the NFL because hes a Colt.  

I like Haeg  I think he is going to be very good.

On 11/13/2016 at 0:14 PM, Coltfreak said:

Because most people dont actually watch the oline play they just agree with whatever they read from other people.   And Haeg is a rookie so he automatically becomes the greatest player in the history of the NFL because hes a Colt.  

I like Haeg  I think he is going to be very good.

Good imo is Haeg but stronger.  Their weak points are very similar imo.... balance in pass protection and switching off the double team.  They both end up on their butt or flailing to reach a guy going past them too often.  But considering their relative inexperience, I think they're doing very, very well.  Goode also is a road grader in the run game. 

Harrison is similar.  The problem with him is that I really don't see any progress since he arrived.  Even at guard, he's sitting on his butt way too often for his level of experience.  Just terrible balance. 

Its very interesting to read all these comments. I feel i am not quialified enough (nor focusing on OL play during games) to judge them individually, Anyway, as a whole unit, i think they start to gel together. They had one or two terrible games (due to injuries or other reasons, i dont know), but except that, they play ok football, and they seem improving game by game. Gore is quite efficient lately, I barely see a negative play, which I saw frequently last year and before. Considering that he (Gore) is over his prime so his after contact production and overall speed is dropped, but he's still running with okay Y/C, it's an indication of effective run blocking.

Regarding pass blocking, Luck is averaging some 2.9 secs at throwing the ball after snap, which is almost dead last in the league. (Part of the reason is, that he still needs to be quicker in his decision making, but also due to his extend-the-play willingness and ability, so probably, he will never be a Brady regarding quickness.) Anyway, considering, that the OL needs to hold the pocket for almost the longest time in the leauge in average, they do an overall good job recently.

(I hope that Philbin also has something to do with this improvement. A very good OL coach can coach up a decent line out of mediocre players, while you can have great talents there, it wont help, if coaching is bad. I just hope Philbin represents the former and not the latter.)